It is currently 20 Nov 2017, 01:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

While spark ignitions start the combustion in gasoline engines, typica

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 8749 [0], given: 105

While spark ignitions start the combustion in gasoline engines, typica [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2017, 15:50
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

46% (01:06) correct 54% (01:07) wrong based on 292 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

While spark ignitions start the combustion in gasoline engines, typical in automobiles, high compression of gases, with high temperatures, are igniting the combustion in diesel engines.

(A) high compression of gases, with high temperatures, are igniting the combustion in diesel engines

(B) the high temperatures made by high compression of gases, igniting the fuel in diesel engines

(C) diesel engines highly compress the gasses, and this high compression ignites the combustion of the fuel in the engine

(D) high compression of gases, producing high temperatures, ignite the combustion in diesel engines

(E) it is the high compression of gases, causing high temperatures, that ignites the fuel in diesel engines

For the OE, see:
GMAT Grammar: “On a White Bus” with Subordinate Conjunctions

Mike :-)
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Magoosh Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 44

CAT Tests
Re: While spark ignitions start the combustion in gasoline engines, typica [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2017, 16:15
Thanks for detailed explanation in the referred link.
The only challenge I see in E is that it assumes that the reader knows:
combustion = igniting the fuel
and that the above "does not change the meaning".

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 44

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Re: While spark ignitions start the combustion in gasoline engines, typica [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2017, 10:12
sevenplusplus wrote:
Thanks for detailed explanation in the referred link.
The only challenge I see in E is that it assumes that the reader knows:
combustion = igniting the fuel
and that the above "does not change the meaning".

Dear sevenplusplus,

Thank you for your feedback, my friend. :-) I point out that (A) says "igniting the combustion" and (E) says "ignites the fuel." Basically, folks need to know that "to ignite" means "to set on fire, to start a fire," and that "combustion" is "fire"--those are basic English vocabulary terms. They also need to know the factual information that what burns in a car engine, what is set on fire, is fuel: I would take that as basic factual knowledge about the world that people need to have. Therefore, I don't believe anyone with requisite GMAT skills can argue that there's a change in meaning here.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 62 [1], given: 50

Schools: Duke '20, Tepper '20
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2017, 12:24
This post received
KUDOS
Between D and E. I find D is having a subject verb agreement error.

D - high compression of gases, producing high temperatures, ignite the combustion in diesel engines.

Though E seems a bit wordy. It is grammatically right and aptly expressing the intended meaning.

Hence, Answer should be E.

Kudos [?]: 62 [1], given: 50

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 90

While spark ignitions start the combustion in gasoline engines, typica [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2017, 06:56
Hi Mike,

Please evaluate my reasoning for this question.

While spark ignitions start the combustion in gasoline engines, typical in automobiles, high compression of gases, with high temperatures, are igniting the combustion in diesel engines.

(A) high compression of gases, with high temperatures, are igniting the combustion in diesel engines.
WRONG - 1. incorrect to use present progressive
2. subject verb agreement as boldfaced

(B) the high temperatures made by high compression of gases, igniting the fuel in diesel engines

WRONG - missing verb error, igniting is participle

(C) diesel engines highly compress the gasses, and this high compression ignites the combustion of the fuel in the engine

WRONG - awkward construction, also change in meaning -> diesel engines compress the gas.

(D) high compression of gases, producing high temperatures, ignite the combustion in diesel engines

WRONG - Subject verb error - as highlighted by bold face

(E) it is the high compression of gases, causing high temperatures, that ignites the fuel in diesel engines

CORRECT - corrects subject - verb error as other options have, also gives correct meaning.

Thanks

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 90

While spark ignitions start the combustion in gasoline engines, typica   [#permalink] 21 Sep 2017, 06:56

While spark ignitions start the combustion in gasoline engines, typica

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap