It is currently 22 Aug 2017, 17:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Why You Should Use Only Real GMAT Questions

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 197

Concentration: Operations, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V34
GPA: 3.8
WE: Operations (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Why You Should Use Only Real GMAT Questions [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2016, 03:24
When can I begin using the questions taken from GMatPrep CAT1 and CAT2 databases (I think there are 1000+ questions)? I have found them in GMATClub and I have completed both GMAT Prep1 and 2 and won't be re-taking them as I have 4 more Gmatprep CATs remaining from Exam packs 1 &2. In such a case and with my exam date on 10Sep can i download these and practice using them or would these questions be repeated in any of these exam pack CATs ,i.e, GMat Exam Pack1 and Exam pack2?

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 197

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 14

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2016, 05:29
Senthil7 wrote:
When can I begin using the questions taken from GMatPrep CAT1 and CAT2 databases (I think there are 1000+ questions)? I have found them in GMATClub and I have completed both GMAT Prep1 and 2 and won't be re-taking them as I have 4 more Gmatprep CATs remaining from Exam packs 1 &2. In such a case and with my exam date on 10Sep can i download these and practice using them or would these questions be repeated in any of these exam pack CATs ,i.e, GMat Exam Pack1 and Exam pack2?

Though I am yet to write GMAT gain, I was in the same situation a month back. I prefer to practice from official questions and have recently purchased Exam Pack 2 and Here are my observations

1) Both Exam 5 and Exam 6 are drawn from the same question pool. I did the mistake of resetting Exam 6 to get as many new questions as I could. Alas, many questions are repeated in Exam 5. So pl do not reset the pool in between exam 5 and exam 6.

2) Depending on your level, if you prefer to take Exam 5 first, you will feel that Exam 6 is difficult and vice versa. This happens because the question pool is small (about 200 questions) unlike the GMAT Prep question pool (as you said about 1000+ questions)

3) You will see a few questions getting repeated from very old Powerprep (2005-06) tests, but their number is no more than 5% of total questions. So relax and enjoy the test.

4) Questions are as difficult as your other official prep questions and I enjoyed taking both the tests. I wish I knew fact #1 above.

Njoy the party

cheers

South City

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 14

Top Contributor
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
Affiliations: AB, cum laude, Harvard University (Class of '02)

Kudos [?]: 426 [0], given: 51

GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GRE 1: 337 Q168 V169
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2016, 12:48
Top Contributor
SouthCity wrote:
Though I am yet to write GMAT gain, I was in the same situation a month back. I prefer to practice from official questions and have recently purchased Exam Pack 2 and Here are my observations

1) Both Exam 5 and Exam 6 are drawn from the same question pool. I did the mistake of resetting Exam 6 to get as many new questions as I could. Alas, many questions are repeated in Exam 5. So pl do not reset the pool in between exam 5 and exam 6.

2) Depending on your level, if you prefer to take Exam 5 first, you will feel that Exam 6 is difficult and vice versa. This happens because the question pool is small (about 200 questions) unlike the GMAT Prep question pool (as you said about 1000+ questions)

Yes, good observations about Exams 5 and 6! Don't reset the first test until you have taken the second.

The same goes for Exams 3 and 4 (they draw from the same question pool), but strangely enough, not Exams 1 and 2 (Default Exam Pack)--perhaps because the question pool for the Default Exam Pack (Exams 1 and 2) is far larger than it is for Exam Packs 1 and 2 (Exams 3 - 6).

Harvard grad and 770 GMAT scorer, offering high-quality private GMAT tutoring, both in-person and via Skype, since 2002.

McElroy Tutoring

Last edited by mcelroytutoring on 18 Jun 2017, 19:43, edited 1 time in total.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 11

GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.56

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2016, 13:35
Completely agree with this post.
I've purchased several different prep-company materials, including gmatclub, magoosh, MGMAT, E-GMAT and Veritas.
I also solved every question available from OG (including GMATPrep Software).

I realized that there are so many good prep materials for quant. I personally loved GMATClub and MGMAT.
However, for verbal, there is none like OG. It felt like reading reading novels written by different authors.
It's very difficult to say exactly how they are different the the difference is definitely there. There are things that you can learn from the other prep company materials for sure but when it comes to practice questions, finish OG first. That is, 2 books (OG guide and OG verbal) and GMATPrep (3 packs of exams and question bank). It will take you some time to solve every questions on there and by the time you are done with it, you can actually repeat it once more and I assure that you'll get some questions wrong again.

Last edited by tae808 on 22 Aug 2016, 14:56, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 11

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 7

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2016, 14:36
Brian,

Do you have a 47 in Quant or better in the GMAT?

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 7

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 127

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2016, 08:16
I have installed Question Pack and am currently practicing from there. Now, I want to give the GMAT Prep 1 and Prep 2 mocks and I don't want any repetition of questions. How to ensure this since when I started using the question pack, I selected 'to draw questions from 494 set of unanswered questions'. Another thing which I want to ensure is that the questions that I have already practiced from question pack don't get lost anywhere since I want to revise them soon from the software.

Any help would be certainly appreciated.

Top Contributor
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2016, 20:33
Top Contributor
rmadmit wrote:
I have installed Question Pack and am currently practicing from there. Now, I want to give the GMAT Prep 1 and Prep 2 mocks and I don't want any repetition of questions. How to ensure this since when I started using the question pack, I selected 'to draw questions from 494 set of unanswered questions'. Another thing which I want to ensure is that the questions that I have already practiced from question pack don't get lost anywhere since I want to revise them soon from the software.

I'm sorry but I don't understand your question.

Harvard grad and 770 GMAT scorer, offering high-quality private GMAT tutoring, both in-person and via Skype, since 2002.

McElroy Tutoring

Last edited by mcelroytutoring on 18 Jun 2017, 19:44, edited 1 time in total.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2016, 20:55
mcelroytutoring wrote:
bfarooq wrote:
Brian,

<--- Yes.

Sorry for asking this, might be inappropriate, but do you think that you could have scored higher in Quant? Or did you meet your limit?

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2016, 21:01
mcelroytutoring wrote:
rmadmit wrote:

I have installed GMAC Question Pack(404 qs.) and practiced few questions from that till now. Now I want to take the GMAT prep 1 and 2 mocks and I don't want any questions to appear in the mocks which I have already practiced in Question Pack.

Basically, I don't want to see any questions in gmat prep 1 and 2 which I have already practiced in Question Pack.

In other words, how to ensure that the pool of qs is different.

Hope it makes sense now.

Sent from my MI 3W using Tapatalk

Top Contributor
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2016, 23:22
Top Contributor
Finance0402 wrote:
mcelroytutoring wrote:
bfarooq wrote:
Brian,

<--- Yes.

Sorry for asking this, might be inappropriate, but do you think that you could have scored higher in Quant? Or did you meet your limit?

Limits are for quitters! ; ) I'm still going for the perfect 800. I re-take the GMAT at least once every year or so, and plan on eventually earning a Q51/V51 (unless I hit the 8-test lifetime limit first). With a lot of persistence and a little bit of luck, anything is possible.

McElroy Tutoring

Last edited by mcelroytutoring on 18 Jun 2017, 19:45, edited 2 times in total.

Top Contributor
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 426 [1] , given: 51

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2016, 23:23
This post received
KUDOS
Top Contributor
rmadmit wrote:
mcelroytutoring wrote:
rmadmit wrote:

I have installed GMAC Question Pack(404 qs.) and practiced few questions from that till now. Now I want to take the GMAT prep 1 and 2 mocks and I don't want any questions to appear in the mocks which I have already practiced in Question Pack.

Basically, I don't want to see any questions in gmat prep 1 and 2 which I have already practiced in Question Pack.

In other words, how to ensure that the pool of qs is different.

Hope it makes sense now.

Sent from my MI 3W using Tapatalk

Oh, I see! You don't have to worry about that. There is zero overlap between those two sources of questions.

McElroy Tutoring

Last edited by mcelroytutoring on 18 Jun 2017, 19:45, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 426 [1] , given: 51

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 73 [1] , given: 197

Concentration: Operations, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V34
GPA: 3.8
WE: Operations (Commercial Banking)

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2016, 23:23
This post received
KUDOS
Question pack 1 has nothing to do with the GmatPrep CATs. They are totally different

Sent from my GT-N7100 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: 73 [1] , given: 197

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2016, 10:55
Hi Experts,

I really need help in my study strategy. To give a background, I have been studying for the past 3 months and the following are the materials that I have done-

Verbal-

1.e-GMAT course
2. OG13-SC,CR
3. GMAT Prep Question Pack Questions(approx. 30% of all CR,RC and SC)

Quant-

1. OG13
2. GMAT Club Tests(5 of them , even made topic wise tests for weak areas)
3. Jamboree Blue Book(Must Do Qs. 700-800 level qs- Done only for selected topics)

Now, I already know that I have not done certain things completely such as completing RC from OG.I have maintained an error log but I have not revised all the topics from it.

Now, the problem which I am facing is a drop in mock scores. Below are the scores-

1.Kaplan Free Test - 19.6.2016- 580(Q43/V26)
2.Veritas Free Test - 4.7.2016 - 590(Q43/V29)
3.Manhattan Free Test - 19.7.2016- 610(Q44/V31)
4.Manhattan Test 2 - 5.8.2016- 570(Q37/V31)
5.Manhattan Test 3 - 16.8.2016- 570(Q38/V30)
6.GMAT Prep 1 - 1.9.2016 - 490(Q31/V26)

The most surprising and disappointing score is that of 490 in the GMAT Prep 1. Generally, I have read in a lot of posts that Manhattan tests are slightly tougher than the GMAT Prep/Actual GMAT, so I was actually expecting a higher score or at least a similar score as before but such a drastic drop was not anticipated. Also, the test conditions in all these tests have been consistent throughout.

One of the problems which I have noticed during tests is of timing. In quant, I tend to panic if I am not able to solve a question within 2.5 mins. I can't even make an educated guess and just randomly guess on that question after spending 3-4 mins on that question. This has been leading to severe timing problems at the end of the exam. Another problem is dealing with Word Problems where we need to understand the language and then convert them into equations. I have already read the GMAT Club Math Book chapter on Word Problems but somehow, I have not been able to improve in this area.

In verbal, I am generally strong in SC but very weak in CR and RC, but of late I have changed my CR strategy and also have been practicing a lot of CR,so I can see some improvement in that(e.g. getting 6/9 correct in last mock as compared to 6/14 correct in the earlier mocks), but RC still remains to be a pain point. I take about 4-5 mins to read the passage and then approx. 2-3 mins to answer each question. I take approx 3-5 mins to answer Main Point and Inference questions as compared to Specific Detail questions.

One of the problems which I faced in the verbal section in the recent GMAT prep 1 mock is that I spent a lot of time on SC(although this is my strength(approx.80% accuracy) but due to lack of practice, timing became a problem). So, I didn't have any time left for doing 2 RC's which came around Qs.28-35. The blunder that I made was randomly guessing on 2 RC's due to lack of time.

So, I have been following the strategy as mentioned by bb of combining passive learning with active testing, as mentioned in this post(how-to-review-and-analyze-your-mistakes-167118.html), but somehow things are not working out.

Also, I have been employing the guessing strategy wherein I only guess in my weak areas and too ensure that I do it by spreading them across the exam(except the last GMAT Prep 1 exam)

Actually, I was planning to give the exam in first week of September but now since the scores have been on a decreasing curve, I really need to rework on my strategy.

So, in conclusion, I am currently weak in both quant and verbal and this to be honest really is disappointing. I really require expert advice on -

1. Structuring passive learning with active testing
2. Ability Improvement and maintain timing
3. Zero panic during test

I am open to suggestions of any other type as well apart from the ones mentioned above which can help me out in this pathetic situation.

Thanks!

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 25

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2016, 00:07
I have question pack and exam packs 1&2. I am retaking gmat soon in a month. Can I skip OG 2015 and its quant/verbal supplements and instead prepare solely from question pack1 and exam pack 1&2 ? I can search for solutions for exam pack questions on gmatlcub.... so I am feeling that practicing on computer in timed test condition would help rather than practicing questions from book like OG ? Can someone advice whether my thought process is right ?

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 25

Director
Director
S

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 571

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2017, 18:58
hello, should i practice sub-lv 600 gmat questions? particularly those from quantitative sections

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 571

Expert Post
Top Contributor
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
B
Affiliations: GMATQuantum

Kudos [?]: 472 [1] , given: 17

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2017, 21:20
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Top Contributor
Hi chesstitans,

If you are missing sub-600 level questions for any reason, then I would definitely recommend practicing with those questions. Because the GMAT is a computer adaptive test, you will not encounter harder questions unless you can consistently do the easy/medium questions. If you find that you are missing a bunch of easy/medium questions then investing time in those would give you the best return.

The official guide is a good source of sub-600 level questions, and the older OG 10th edition also has tons of easier questions. I think a pdf might be floating around. I use these with my students who have trouble with say long wordy problems or find it difficult to comprehend GMAT's language(it is far more common than you might think).

Best wishes,
Dabral

Kudos [?]: 472 [1] , given: 17

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2017, 22:44
hello, I just realize that in real gmat, there is no such things called A,B,C,D,E. All options begin with the blank that we can place the mouse to mark the choices.
In that case, what is the best strategy to deal with GMAT?

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
P

Kudos [?]: 27222 [0], given: 5006

GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2017, 22:51
chessgiants wrote:
hello, I just realize that in real gmat, there is no such things called A,B,C,D,E. All options begin with the blank that we can place the mouse to mark the choices.
In that case, what is the best strategy to deal with GMAT?

It is exactly the same way as GMAT Prep :roll: or even GMAT Club tests. There is no change in strategy, just have to keep track which bubble/radio button is C and Which one is D. I still recommend making a grid for Verbal and crossing off choices in CR and SC to save time and avoid revisiting choices you already eliminated.
Attachments

gmatprep.jpg
gmatprep.jpg [ 64.92 KiB | Viewed 252 times ]

Founder of GMAT Club

GMAT Club's Special offer for Student Loans only through Aug 31 - New!
Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... or use our Daily Study Plan

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Kudos [?]: 27222 [0], given: 5006

Re: Why You Should Use Only Real GMAT Questions   [#permalink] 19 May 2017, 22:51

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   [ 98 posts ]