Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:32 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 798 [207]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [42]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [30]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 523 [6]
Given Kudos: 916
Send PM
Re: With California expected to see severe electricity shortfalls and perh [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Michael KC Chen wrote:
With California expected to see severe electricity shortfalls and perhaps blackouts on as many as 30 days this summer, the administration has grown increasingly concerned about public health and safety there

A. With California expected to see severe electricity shortfalls and perhaps blackouts on as many as 30 days this summer, the administration has grown increasingly concerned about

B. With California expecting to see severe electricity shortfalls this summer, and there will possibly be blackouts for as much as 30 days, the administration's concern has grown increasingly about

C. As California is expected to be seeing severe electricity shortfalls and perhaps blackouts on as much as 30 days this summer, the administration's concern is increasing for

D. Insofar as California is expected to see severe electricity shortfalls this summer, and there will possibly be blackouts as many as 30 days, the administration has increasing concern about

E. Insofar as California expects to see severe electricity shortfalls and the possibility of blackouts for 30 days this summer, the administration has grown increasingly concerned about

2/2/1 split..
I was thinking that the use of ''grown & increasingly'' is redundant....crossed A out ...and marked D.
Looks like the usage of idiom ''insofar as'' is not correct in D ?

in b, has grown about dose not exist in english
in c, concern is increasing for means concern is increasing for the purpose of. this meaing is not logic
in d and e, insofar as means "if" showing a conditional. this meaning is not logic here. in the context that california expect something, persons concern . this meaning is more logic
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [19]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: With California expected to see severe electricity shortfalls and perh [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
The original sentence has “…California is expected to see…blackouts on as many as 30 days…”. B has “as much as 30 days”. “Days” are countable, so “many” is used and not “much”. C has the same problem. D incorrectly eliminates the “on”. In E “blackouts for 30 days” changes the meaning, implying that a blackout may last 30 days. A is correct. Notice the redundancy is C’s “to be seeing”, rather than the shorter “to see”.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [4]
Given Kudos: 296
Schools: Mannheim"17
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.44
Send PM
Kudos
daagh wrote:
A question of style and idiom

A. With California expected to see severe electricity shortfalls and perhaps blackouts on as many as 30 days this summer, the administration has grown increasingly concerned about --- By about the best.

B. with California expecting to see severe electricity shortfalls this summer and there will possibly be blackouts for as much as 30 days, the administration's concern has grown increasingly about --- as much as – a wrong idiom.

C. As California is expected to be seeing severe electricity shortfalls and perhaps blackouts on as much as 30 days this summer, the administration's concern is increasing for ----- as much as – a wrong idiom.

D. Insofar as California is expected to see severe electricity shortfalls this summer, and there will possibly be blackouts as many as 30 days, the administration has increasing concern about – In so far as means in as much as ; The problem is in blackouts as 30 days – which leads to weird comparison .

E. Insofar as California expects to see severe electricity shortfalls and the possibility of blackouts for 30 days this summer, the administration has grown increasingly concerned about --- ‘blackouts for’ is not idiomatic; it should be ‘blackouts

Generally, the sentence construction is rather poor.

I think E is wrong because the sentence says
California expects to see (1)severe electricity shortfalls
(2)possibility of blackout

expected to see and possibility are redundant
Daagh please comment
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [1]
Given Kudos: 357
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Bookmarks
Experts please comment why A is correct?
Is nt it a construction
"Preposition + noun + participle"
Please advice if i m wrong
Thanks in advance.

Posted from my mobile device
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [9]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
srinjoy28 wrote:
Experts please comment why A is correct?
Is nt it a construction
"Preposition + noun + participle"
Please advice if i m wrong
Thanks in advance.

Posted from my mobile device

I would not suggest to eliminate a choice outright because it has "Preposition + noun + participle" construction.

Such construction is correct when the object of preposition is the "noun", but not the "participle". Example: With California expected to see.... California is the object of the preposition "with"... correct.

However the construction would be wrong if the participle were the object of preposition - following is an example from Ron Purewal of MGMAT:
you can't say "my parents heard about me failing the test". the reason isn't simply because it's prep+pron+verb, though, but because of semantics: they didn't hear about me - they heard about the failing.
Jamboree GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: Jamboree Education Pvt Ltd
Own Kudos [?]: 654 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Bookmarks
"Expected to do something" is the correct format here. So "B" and "E" are out. "C" has an apostrophe with "administration" which is not preferred provided there is a better ans choice. Moreover "concern for" and "concerned about" do not imply the same meaning. In "D" the part of the sentence from "there will ....blackouts "is not an additional information or an insertible/removable phrase. Hence it cannot be place between two commas. Its the main part of the sentence.Additionally "increasing concern" is also wrong in "D". By elimination we are left with one answer which is "A." The answers which had increase
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 614 [1]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Experts / chetan2u / daagh ,

Isn't grown +increasingly are redundant in A and E.
Can you please share your opinion on this..??

Thanks and Regards,
Prakhar
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31914 [16]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
PrakharGMAT wrote:
Hi Experts / chetan2u / daagh ,

Isn't grown +increasingly are redundant in A and E.
Can you please share your opinion on this..??

Thanks and Regards,
Prakhar

Hi,
the REDUNDANCY will depend on the context in which grown has been used..

1) grown-- Increase
Cricket's popularity has grown increasingly.. WRONG

2) grown- become..
the boy has grown increasingly weak..

It is in this context that GROWN has been used in the sentence..
substitute BECOME in place of GROWN, you will find the sentence perfectly fine..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 300 [1]
Given Kudos: 353
Concentration: General Management, Economics
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
WE:Sales (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Kudos
For me "has grown increasingly concerned" sounds weird. Looks like administration has grown?? That is why i eliminated A. But it is correct answer
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31914 [1]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM