GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 23 May 2018, 08:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Work experience question

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Work experience question [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2018, 15:29
Dear former admissions officers at GMATCLUB...

If you were on leave of absence from work to attempt a degree but failed to obtain the degree, then obviously

1. It would be left out of the educational history section of an application
2. It would be left out of the resume/CV,
3. But could you consider it as part of the years of work experience that counts toward the application?

Thanks.
Manager
Manager
B
Affiliations: one MBA coach
Schools: INSEAD, HEC, ISB, IIMA , IIM, EDHEC
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75
Re: Work experience question [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2018, 01:46
Hello

Any time after your graduation that you were not involved in full time work (Job, Entrepreneurship) will Not be counted as work experience but as gap years.
You can negate the impact if you give compelling reasons as to why you took the break.

All the best.

Varun

questions wrote:

If you were on leave of absence from work to attempt a degree but failed to obtain the degree, then obviously

3. But could you consider it as part of the years of work experience that counts toward the application?

Thanks.

Varun Sharma
Website
onembacoach (at) gmail (dot) com

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2018, 05:18
oneMBAcoach wrote:
Hello

Any time after your graduation that you were not involved in full time work (Job, Entrepreneurship) will Not be counted as work experience but as gap years.
You can negate the impact if you give compelling reasons as to why you took the break.

All the best.

Varun

questions wrote:

Thanks.

Thank you for your answer.

To clarify, I work at a place where if your performance is good enough, you will be allowed to take some time off to go do a graduate degree that is relevant to the work done that the company. This is called being 'seconded to school' instead of quitting, going to school, and then coming back to where you work. So technically you are still employed. Therefore the same rules apply to those who are employed -- you can't take a second job during the studying, you can't make money on the side because company rules prohibit it, and any misbehavior will get you disciplined or even fired.

So since my performance records were pretty good thus far, and policies were becoming more restrictive as to getting a break to study, I hurriedly applied and got into a top program. But since I was not sincere enough about the studies, and there were pretty significant family problems (deaths, near deaths in the family) during that time, among other stressors, I constantly failed to do well and in the end did not meet the standards to get the degree.

However, even then, I was able to return to my company and get half of that period recognized into my number of years worked, which then becomes a basis to judge when this person is to be given a promotion. So even in the case you fail to get a degree during the absence period, you still get 50% recognized as 'work experience' since what you are allowed to study will inevitably be highly relevant to the job.

In this specific, particular case, does the rule still hold that unless you were making money or doing work while studying, utilizing this special opportunity counts as a gap between different periods of work experience?

Also, as a general rule, if you leave this fact out of resumes, it becomes a blatant lie by omission? And if it does, can you then just say "period worked at yyy company includes 1 year of leave of absence" instead of "did a year of grad school in X school for degree in Y subject but didn't get the degree"?

Thank you!
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2018, 05:37
You seem to have a valid story. In this case it is best to mention the same in your CV as a bullet point (Study break/sabbatical or something similar) and then explain this in detail in one of your essays.

All the best.

questions wrote:
oneMBAcoach wrote:
Hello

All the best.

Varun

questions wrote:

Thanks.

To clarify, I work at a place where if your performance is good enough, you will be allowed to take some time off to go do a graduate degree that is relevant to the work done that the company. This is called being 'seconded to school' instead of quitting, going to school, and then coming back to where you work. So technically you are still employed. Therefore the same rules apply to those who are employed -- you can't take a second job during the studying, you can't make money on the side because company rules prohibit it, and any misbehavior will get you disciplined or even fired.

So since my performance records were pretty good thus far, and policies were becoming more restrictive as to getting a break to study, I hurriedly applied and got into a top program. But since I was not sincere enough about the studies, and there were pretty significant family problems (deaths, near deaths in the family) during that time, among other stressors, I constantly failed to do well and in the end did not meet the standards to get the degree.

However, even then, I was able to return to my company and get half of that period recognized into my number of years worked, which then becomes a basis to judge when this person is to be given a promotion. So even in the case you fail to get a degree during the absence period, you still get 50% recognized as 'work experience' since what you are allowed to study will inevitably be highly relevant to the job.

In this specific, particular case, does the rule still hold that unless you were making money or doing work while studying, utilizing this special opportunity counts as a gap between different periods of work experience?

Also, as a general rule, if you leave this fact out of resumes, it becomes a blatant lie by omission? And if it does, can you then just say "period worked at yyy company includes 1 year of leave of absence" instead of "did a year of grad school in X school for degree in Y subject but didn't get the degree"?

Thank you!

Varun Sharma
Website

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2018, 05:53
If I don't mention it on the CV nor explain it on my application, could that become grounds for rescinding offers or even being sued? Also, would schools ever ask for grades and/or name of school attended, in any scenario?
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2018, 07:01
Such an Omission can be considered a Lie.
Universities will surely ask you for your past grades along with transcripts.

Varun Sharma
Website

Expert Post
Experts' Global Representative
S

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2018, 22:50
questions wrote:
oneMBAcoach wrote:
Hello

All the best.

Varun

questions wrote:

Thanks.

Thank you!

Hi questions,

It is best to state the facts just as they are. The good part is that you have a genuine reason/story to support the gap. Please address the same in your Optional Essay.

Akanksha Baldawa
Experts' Global
Students from 20+ nationalities
Every 10th Indian in US top 50 is our student!
$ 2Mn+ Scholarship Each Year Since 2010!
GMAT Preparation Online | 15 GMAT Practice Tests
MBA Admissions Consulting | MBA Interview Preparation

Expert Post
Admission Consultant
G

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2018, 00:16
questions wrote:

Thanks.

If you took a year long break to study and even 6 months is counted in as work experience, then you still have 6 months of a gap period. You would definitely have to explain this.

However, I'd tread carefully on the reasons I share with the adcom for dropping out. Owning up that you were not sincere about studies will sound immature and irresponsible and will likely plant a doubt that will you repeat this at b-schools. Instead you should build a story around the other genuine reasons: 1. serious health issues of family members; 2. trouble juggling time between the needs of family, work and education and giving last priority to education because of unavoidable circumstances of the other two factors. This approach will then create a clear path to justify a full-time MBA where you can immerse yourself completely into the MBA experience without being bogged down by other distractions.

Hope that helps

Namita Garg,
http://www.mbadecoder.com
+91 9901566772, +91(80) 40931397

Contact us at: contact@mbadecoder.com

Ask for a FREE profile evaluation click here

Work experience question   [#permalink] 14 May 2018, 00:16

Work experience question

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap