Check GMAT Club Decision Tracker for the Latest School Decision Releases https://gmatclub.com/AppTrack
GMAT Club

It is currently 30 Mar 2017, 14:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Written early in the French Revolution, Mary Wollstonecraft’s A Vindic

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

3 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE: Business Development (Real Estate)
Followers: 73

Kudos [?]: 1007 [3] , given: 220

Written early in the French Revolution, Mary Wollstonecraft’s A Vindic [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2016, 04:39
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

74% (01:56) correct 26% (01:08) wrong based on 864 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Written early in the French Revolution, Mary Wollstonecraft’s A Vindication of the Rights of Man (1790) and A Vindication of the Rights of Woman (1792) attributed Europe’s social and political ills to be the result of the dominance of aristocratic values and patriarchal hereditary privilege.

A) Mary Wollstonecraft’s A Vindication of the Rights of Man (1790) and A Vindication of the Rights of Woman (1792) attributed Europe’s social and political ills to be the result of
B) Mary Wollstonecraft’s A Vindication of the Rights of Man (1790) and A Vindication of the Rights of Woman (1792) attributed Europe’s social and political ills to result from
C) Mary Wollstonecraft’s A Vindication of the Rights of Man (1790) and A Vindication of the Rights of Woman (1792) attributed Europe’s social and political ills to
D) in A Vindication of the Rights of Man (1790) and A Vindication of the Rights of Woman (1792), Mary Wollstonecraft attributed Europe’s social and political ills to have been the result of
E) Mary Wollstonecraft, in A Vindication of the Rights of Man (1790) and A Vindication of the Rights of Woman (1792), attributed Europe’s social and political ills to

OG 2017 New Question
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Md. Abdur Rakib

Please Press +1 Kudos,If it helps
Sentence Correction-Collection of Ron Purewal's "elliptical construction/analogies" for SC Challenges

Request Expert Reply
If you have any questions
you can ask an expert
New!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 10

Written early in the French Revolution, Mary Wollstonecraft’s A Vindic [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2016, 05:51
AbdurRakib wrote:
Written early in the French Revolution, Mary Wollstonecraft’s A Vindication of the Rights of Man (1790) and A Vindication of the Rights of Woman (1792) attributed Europe’s social and political ills to be the result of the dominance of aristocratic values and patriarchal hereditary privilege.

A) Mary Wollstonecraft’s A Vindication of the Rights of Man (1790) and A Vindication of the Rights of Woman (1792) attributed Europe’s social and political ills to be the result of
B) Mary Wollstonecraft’s A Vindication of the Rights of Man (1790) and A Vindication of the Rights of Woman (1792) attributed Europe’s social and political ills to result from
C) Mary Wollstonecraft’s A Vindication of the Rights of Man (1790) and A Vindication of the Rights of Woman (1792) attributed Europe’s social and political ills to -----perfectly conveys the meaning
D) in A Vindication of the Rights of Man (1790) and A Vindication of the Rights of Woman (1792), Mary Wollstonecraft attributed Europe’s social and political ills to have been the result of
E) Mary Wollstonecraft, in A Vindication of the Rights of Man (1790) and A Vindication of the Rights of Woman (1792), attributed Europe’s social and political ills to

OG 2017 New Question

C perfectly conveys the meaning ,has no modifier error and usage of idiom attribute ...to
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
Followers: 95

Kudos [?]: 272 [1] , given: 69

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Written early in the French Revolution, Mary Wollstonecraft’s A Vindic [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2016, 09:03
This post received
KUDOS
AbdurRakib wrote:

C) Mary Wollstonecraft’s A Vindication of the Rights of Man (1790) and A Vindication of the Rights of Woman (1792) attributed Europe’s social and political ills to

OG 2017 New Question

IMO, 'attributed' and 'result' are redundant. A, B and D are out.

Now, looking at the meaning- something was written in French revolution, and that was Mary Wollstonecraft’s A Vindication of the Rights of Man (1790) and A Vindication of the Rights of Woman (1792). Only 'C' modifies it correctly.

I welcome critical analysis of my post!! That will help me reach 700+

Fuqua Thread Master
S
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 136 [0], given: 76

Reviews Badge
Re: Written early in the French Revolution, Mary Wollstonecraft’s A Vindic [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2016, 23:50
sayantanc2k

Can we please analyse option A, and B more deeply apart from the opening modifier error and idiom error? "The part in bold below".

Thanking in anticipation
Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
Followers: 442

Kudos [?]: 1971 [0], given: 22

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2016, 13:36
Keats wrote:
sayantanc2k

Can we please analyse option A, and B more deeply apart from the opening modifier error and idiom error? "The part in bold below".

Thanking in anticipation

"Attributed to" means "to result from" or "to be the result of" - option A and B both have redundancy issues.
Fuqua Thread Master
S
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 136 [0], given: 76

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2016, 13:43
sayantanc2k wrote:
"Attributed to" means "to result from" or "to be the result of" - option A and B both have redundancy issues.

Thanks, sayantanc2k. This helps.
Top Contributor
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
S
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 766

Kudos [?]: 5919 [1] , given: 324

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2016, 14:51
This post received
KUDOS
Top Contributor
The idiomatic template of ‘attribute to’ is that one attributes X to Y, where X and Y are parallel in the form of nouns and the ‘to’ is a preposition. In A and B, one will find that what follow ‘to’ are verbs, thereby rendering them as infinitives, an unparallel structure. In C, the ‘attributed’ is followed by ‘the ills (a noun) to another noun, the dominance. That is the reason C wins over and A and B for using correct idiomatic construction

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 740 Q51 V39
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 80

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2016, 16:51
daagh wrote:
The idiomatic template of ‘attribute to’ is that one attributes X to Y, where X and Y are parallel in the form of nouns and the ‘to’ is a preposition. In A and B, one will find that what follow ‘to’ are verbs, thereby rendering them as infinitives, an unparallel structure. In C, the ‘attributed’ is followed by ‘the ills (a noun) to another noun, the dominance. That is the reason C wins over and A and B for using correct idiomatic construction

Some posters are arguing that attribute to and result from are redundant. Is redundancy an issue here or the issue is in ||'sm as you have mentioned attribute X to Y, X and Y are not || in A and B.

Richa Champion | My GMAT Journey - 470 720 740

Target 760+

Not Improving after Multiple attempts. I can guide You.
Contact me richacrunch2@gmail.com

BSchool Forum Moderator
B
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT Date: 03-18-2015
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 538

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2016, 10:09
daagh wrote:

Chief!
None of my sentence correction analysis is complete unless i go through the analysis of experts like YOU. But please above explanation, can you make it in simple terms. Its my fault that I am unable to understand your explanation.
Thanks
BSchool Forum Moderator
S
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 670 Q50 V32
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.65
WE: Brand Management (Health Care)
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 300 [0], given: 42

Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2016, 10:14
Celestial09 wrote:
daagh wrote:

Chief!
None of my sentence correction analysis is complete unless i go through the analysis of experts like YOU. But please above explanation, can you make it in simple terms. Its my fault that I am unable to understand your explanation.
Thanks

Correct Idiom is attribute X to Y, where X and Y should be parallel.

Thanks.

Wanna say Thank you? Just hit Kudos. :-D

Top Contributor
Retired Moderator
S
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 766

Kudos [?]: 5919 [0], given: 324

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2016, 04:30
Top Contributor
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Sorry Abhi for my unclear message.
Let’s now analyse the usage of the word ‘to’. The word can act in two ways, one as a part of an infinitive verbal such as ‘to sing’, ‘to play’ or ‘to walk’. You might see that when it is part of the infinitive, a verb always follows the word ‘to’.
The second use of ‘to’ be as a preposition that precedes a noun in prepositional phrases. To Delhi, to freedom, to the dominance etc. Here the word ‘to’ is always followed by a noun.
Point 3 is that, idiomatically ‘attributed’ will only take the ‘to’ as a phrasal verb in the role of a preposition. Then what follows must be a noun. On the contrary, the ‘to’ in ‘attribute to’ never takes a verb
Try to Google attribute with any of the words such as ‘attribute to be’ or ‘attribute to result from’, or ‘attribute to have been the result of’, and you will get the prompt response that there is no such phrase in English Dictionary. That is the simple reason why A, b and D are instantly out.
The final tie is between C and E. E is out because of improper modification and C wins the grand finale.
Hope I have made amends

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GPA: 3.9
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 88

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2017, 03:31
1. The beginning is a modifier so D and E are out.
2. 'Attributed' and 'Result' are redundant and hence A, B are out.
3. Left over one is C and that is the OA.
Intern
Intern
B
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 13

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2017, 03:27

Re: Written early in the French Revolution, Mary Wollstonecraft’s A Vindic   [#permalink] 17 Mar 2017, 03:27