Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 06:42 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 06:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

Berkeley Haas or Yale SOM?

You may select 1 option
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6860 [2]
Given Kudos: 500
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [1]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [4]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.78
WE:Other (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Re: Yale SOM or Berkeley Haas? [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Hey isit2022yet,

Congratulations on getting into two great programs! I'm a first year at SOM.

I have to admit, it's a little hard to pick out what seems to be most important to you and what you want to do after school, but I'll give you my perspective from SOM.

1. Short term career goals
The thing that will be most important to you your first year will be short term career goals. The absolute whirlwind that is first semester and recruiting will make you focus on that almost 100%. You listed some vastly different short term career paths including FAANG, general management and consulting. Deciding on what you want to do the most right after school, instead of listing three different sectors, may help you narrow down what is best for you. SOM is a consulting powerhouse and we do really well with general management roles as well. A wild majority of our class goes into consulting and tons of companies come to campus also (AB InBev's presentation at SOM and when they had SOM recruits down to the NY headquarters involved lots of beer ha). We have a much larger amount of students going to FAANG this summer than I expected, but, without seeing Haas' numbers, I would assume a larger percent of the Haas class goes to tech than SOM. Deciding on which path you'd want to take short term may help you narrow down the decision.

2. Location
I totally understand the appeal of getting a few years on the west coast in your late 20s, early 30s. I think something like 70% of Haas graduates end up staying on the west coast so in the short term you will have a stronger network with Haas probably. Long term, however, you want to be on the east coast and your network is on the east coast. Yale sends about 30% of their graduates to the west coast with 50% staying in the northeast. SOM's alumni are spread around a little bit more, which I prefer. Just like Haas may have the edge in alumni network in the short term, Yale may have the edge in alumni network in the long term for you.

3. Culture
This is the biggest difference probably, and its completely up to you as to what you want. Personally, I was in CO before coming to Yale. I am going to Seattle this summer and will be staying on the West Coast after my MBA as well. I prefer the west coast to the east coast. That being said, I never even considered or applied to Haas because of the culture of the area and school. I am not a fan of any location that is heavy left-leaning or heavy right-leaning as I prefer a more moderate, politically diverse place to live. If you want a very left-leaning city then Haas may be the better location for you. New Haven is much more moderate in comparison with Berkeley. Also, I knew I didn't want to go into tech - never found the industry all that interesting - so had no real desire to apply to Haas. If those things are appealing to you then that may sway you more towards Haas.

- Other
I think the education you'll get in a general management sense is pretty negligible. As bb pointed out, the soft skill of management is difficult to teach and I can't imagine there being vast differences between Haas and SOM. SOM's endowment is awesome (and I think the fact they have such a massive endowment for such a young school is a testament to the program), but I doubt Haas is in any trouble whatsoever financially even with a global pandemic. Your relationship will survive if its meant to be. Whether you move together to Berkeley or do the kinda-long distance from NH to NY, if its meant to be it'll be fine. I came into school with a gf who still lives in CO and we just got engaged. We see each other twice a month and are super happy. Some of my other classmates brought their significant others to campus with them and are already broken up. Long distance is only really that hard on couples who would have problems together anyway. Outdoor scene is definitely better in CA than CT. I'm out in Colorado and on the west coast so often I don't even tell a big difference from when I was in Colorado. Just got back from a big ski trip in Canada (right before Corona). You're gonna be an elite MBA so you'll be on planes a lot.

Narrow down your short term career goals, decide if you want a stronger network in the short vs. long term, and decide what kind of culture you'll thrive in best. If you do those three things, I'm sure a clear winner will emerge. Both are excellent opportunities. Congrats again and good luck with the decision.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Re: Yale SOM or Berkeley Haas? [#permalink]
Making the same decision myself! I'd love to connect
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [2]
Given Kudos: 13