GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Oct 2019, 01:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Yale vs Darden vs Stern vs Johnson

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
Yale vs Darden vs Stern vs Johnson  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2019, 05:50
Hello,
I am an international applicant from East Asia.
I was very fortunate to receive admissions from several schools - Yale, Darden, Stern, Johnson, Anderson, Tepper($10K/y)

My post MBA goal is to switch my career to management consulting, hopefully MBB. Plan B will be LDP, I think.
I’m open to any locations. I’ll try getting a job in the States, but considering all the obstacles, coming back to my country is okay as well.

In the long term, I hope to join my family business, which is based in Asia.
In this case, I’ll be working with people who don’t know much about US MBA rankings.

I’ve crossed off Anderson and Tepper since their MBB placements are weaker than others (Please correct me if I’m wrong)
It is a tough call, but I’m leaning towards Yale SOM for the following reasons. Please advise if I’m missing something!

(+) Solid MBB placements
(+) Reputation → it can’t be underestimated in Asia, and Yale has the most powerful brand among my options.
(+) I like the holistic academic curriculum, and I really got a good impression during my class visit.
(+) Ranking is improving, arguably top 10.

(-) Alumni base is smaller than others
(-) Experiential learning opportunities seem limited compared to other schools? (such as immersion program at Johnson)
(-) Some people argue Yale's performance is not as strong as its ranking? Not sure this is valid.

Darden, Stern and Johnson are still tempting though… every student I've met was very nice and friendly.
I think this is the fear of missing out?
I would appreciate any advice!
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 3: 760 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.25
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge
Re: Yale vs Darden vs Stern vs Johnson  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2019, 09:48
This seems like a pretty cut and dry win for SOM. Yale undoubtedly has the greatest international branding of your options, it's the highest ranked, it places the best in MBB (perhaps better than Darden), and there is no money differential. Go and be a Yalie. Are you going to the Admit Weekend?
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Anderson '21 (A)

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2019, 11:49
Given your desire for MBB and the brand name in Asia, Yale is the top choice.
Manager
Manager
B
Schools: Stern '21 (A$)
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.4

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2019, 17:35
Yeah, for MBB, I think it's Yale vs Darden. With int'l prestige, Yale definitely wins.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2019, 02:11
Thanks everyone! I'm currently contacting students and alums to make the final decision.

NTSpike Yes, I'm thinking of going to the Admit Weekend unless something comes up.
Manager
Manager
S
Schools: Yale '18 (M)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2019, 08:57
If you're from East Asia and intend on going back to your family business at some point, I think going for consulting or even banking in the APAC region can be a really big boost for you. Consulting and banking can really build up important region specific connections and knowledge of how various business works. Work experience and the connections that you would make in the US is not very transferable to Asia in most cases given the difference in culture and values. Yale is strong in both consulting and banking recruiting in Asia.

It's also important to note how much people in Asia value education pedigree. I don't necessarily agree with putting such heavy weight on the prestige of people's Alma Mater when evaluating their competence, but it's a God given advantage you should look to leverage in Asia. Darden or UVA does not have that in Asia. It's not even close.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2019, 15:38
I think you should give serious thought to Darden with the new specialization that could allow you to work in the US for an extra 2 years.
Though if Brand is what matters the most to you, Yale should be the first choice. Also, where do you think you will fit the most?
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2019, 13:01
Go to Yale! Great brand, everyone I know who's gone there absolute loves it and the school is very proactive on improving (w/ evidence to show it can move up in the rankings). Seems like a no brainer!
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2019, 03:19
Hi, I just wanted to update that I have decided to attend Yale.
It was really difficult to pass up Yale's strong brand, and I found Yale students and alumni are truly kind and supportive.
Thanks again for your comments.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2019, 07:12
While I think Yale is the weakest MBA program among all the programs you listed (their employment report makes no sense). But, with your long term objectives of returning back - it’ll be a good crowd puller. But again, Yale is not a good choice among the others that you have listed there

But it has the ivy brand that’ll be great for long term career goals.

Manager
Manager
S
Schools: Yale '18 (M)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2019, 09:20
JohnJohnJ wrote:
While I think Yale is the weakest MBA program among all the programs you listed (their employment report makes no sense). But, with your long term objectives of returning back - it’ll be a good crowd puller. But again, Yale is not a good choice among the others that you have listed there

But it has the ivy brand that’ll be great for long term career goals.

Feel free to explain why Yale SOM's employment report makes no sense.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Yale vs Darden vs Stern vs Johnson   [#permalink] 01 May 2019, 09:20

Yale vs Darden vs Stern vs Johnson

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, teleste, Wilch