Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 08:34 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 08:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1728 [4]
Given Kudos: 67
Concentration: Finance, Human Resources
Schools: ISB '18 (D)
GPA: 3.97
WE:Project Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [1]
Given Kudos: 103
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 284
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37 (Online)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1728 [1]
Given Kudos: 67
Concentration: Finance, Human Resources
Schools: ISB '18 (D)
GPA: 3.97
WE:Project Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Re: Zoologists have determined that the size of the litters produced by ma [#permalink]
Kudos
Kaplan official Ansswer:
Step 1: Identify the Question Type

The question asks for additional piece of information that would "provide... support for the theory" provided. That makes this a Strengthen question.

Step 2: Untangle the Stimulus

The theory's conclusion, as repeated in the question stem, is that parent sloths choose their diet based on climate conditions in order to maintain optimal population levels. For example, when it's dry, they don't want too many offspring because there's not enough food. The evidence is that their diet effects the number of offspring. Sloths that feed primarily on catalpa trees tend to produce smaller numbers of offspring than do those that feed primarily on tulip trees.

Step 3: Predict the Answer

There's a lot to keep track of here, but consider what's unwarranted by the conclusion. The evidence merely shows how certain diets affect the number of offspring. The conclusion claims that sloths actively choose to restrict offspring through changes in diet. The author assumes there's no other reason for their dietary habits. To support this, the correct answer needs to validate that the sloths are making a conscious decision to alter their number of offspring.

Step 4: Evaluate the Choices

(D) provides support. In dry years, the sloths have equal opportunity to eat anything, but they are choosing the catalpa leaves -- the very leaves that limit the number of offspring. This does not prove the theory, but definitely makes it more likely.

(A) is a 180. Feeding on tulip leaves would lead to more offspring, the opposite of sloths would want in the dry season.

(B) is consistent with the theory -- eating tulip leaves in the wet years -- but (B) says the forest is dominated by tulip trees. In that case, it seems less like a conscious choice to affect offspring and more of "eat-what-you-see" decision.

(C) provides no information about the sloths' diets, so it provides no support for the theory in question.

(E) is a 180, as feeding on tulip leaves would lead to more offspring -- the opposite of sloths would want in the dry season.

TAKEAWAY: When a theory is presented, Strengthen the theory by finding any evidence that confirms the hypothesis.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Zoologists have determined that the size of the litters produced by ma [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts