Last visit was: 07 May 2024, 17:20 It is currently 07 May 2024, 17:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 440 Q32 V19
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools: Bocconi '21
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11674 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: 2 more days left before my 1st GMAT exam, need advice [#permalink]
FreakingGPAforZero wrote:
Sorry to be honest, I see no hope for you! It is always bad to squish everything 2 days before and your brain is highly unlikely to process it all. A 500 Score won't even be enough to get you into any scholarship programm, so I would give you the tip to apply for round 2 or wait for 1 year and do it again. Trust me your GMAT Prep Score really reflects what you are currently capable of and thats in your Case, around 480-490.

Try to study hard another year and reach 650+. Remember that 550 is the MEAN Score, so you would not even hit the mean with a low 500 score.

Thanks for your suggestion. I will definitely take another gmat in the future, BUT the reason why I still want to take gmat this week is to get 500+ score so I can apply for scholarship from my office. If I get the scholarship, my office will asked me to apply to schools of my choice. From then I will study harder to get 600+ score.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Irwan,

With a score goal of 500+, you're in position to achieve that goal. However, you should not try to do too much during these last 2 days of study (do NOT take any practice CATs and do NOT 'cram'). A bit of light review is fine, but you should try to get some extra rest; you will be better served by going into Test Day calm, well-rested and ready to work (than if you do too much studying now and go into Test Day tired). With your score goal, you do not need to correctly answer ANY of the hard/weird questions, so the smartest move you can make when you see something that you think is too tough is to dump that question immediately (just take a guess and move on).

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Thanks rich. I take another gmat mock test today, and here is the result"
530 Q42 V20.
I was very surprised when I saw the score, especially the quant. I don't know if the gmatprep encountered a bug or not, but the correct answer on quant is only 14/37, and in verbal 25/41. Why my quant score was pretty decent if my correct/wrong ratio is below 40%? And my verbal score was low despite the ratio is about 60%?
Nevertheless, I am very happy with and it does have a positive impact on my mood. I hope I can bring the positive vibe on the actual exam.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Irwan,

I've recently heard from a handful of people that have received 'odd' score results from the GMAC CATs, but you shouldn't be focused on that right now. Your scores all point to a general ability level right around 500, which is all you really need right now. You should avoid trying to do too much working in the next couple of days. Test Day should be about making good decisions and putting in the necessary work to answer the 'gettable' questions. You should post back here after you've taken the GMAT and we can discuss your results.

Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
GPA: 3.19
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Irwan,

I've recently heard from a handful of people that have received 'odd' score results from the GMAC CATs, but you shouldn't be focused on that right now. Your scores all point to a general ability level right around 500, which is all you really need right now. You should avoid trying to do too much working in the next couple of days. Test Day should be about making good decisions and putting in the necessary work to answer the 'gettable' questions. You should post back here after you've taken the GMAT and we can discuss your results.

Rich

rich, I took the gmat today and the score is 440 (q32 v19 ir5). I failed. I think I need a break from gmat for awhile. I want to keep my spirit high, but today's result is completely broke me. :cry:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Irwan,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day didn't go as well as hoped. Based on everything that you've described, there are a number of things to consider about how you studied and how you can better prepare for you next attempt:

1) You stated that you had recently been studying for OVER 12 hours a day. That was NOT a good idea - and it likely led to some 'burn out' before your Official GMAT (meaning that you were too tired to perform at a higher level on Test Day).

2) GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within about +/- 30 points of actual ability. If we ignore the one CAT that you retook, and assuming a similar 'swing' in how your CATs function, your Official score is right 'in the middle' of your CAT score results. And again, if you were too tired to perform at your best, and made a few too many little mistakes over the course of the Exam, then that would account for the points that you lost.

3) Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores. With just 1 month of study, you likely have not put in enough time and effort yet to have scored higher.

Thankfully, the GMAT is the same consistent, predictable Exam that it's always been, so you CAN train to score at a higher level. I suggest that you take a couple of days 'off', then come back and we discuss how best to study from here on. Your recent focus was to score high enough to receive a workplace scholarship. What is the deadline to apply for that offer?

Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
GPA: 3.19
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Irwan,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day didn't go as well as hoped. Based on everything that you've described, there are a number of things to consider about how you studied and how you can better prepare for you next attempt:

1) You stated that you had recently been studying for OVER 12 hours a day. That was NOT a good idea - and it likely led to some 'burn out' before your Official GMAT (meaning that you were too tired to perform at a higher level on Test Day).

2) GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within about +/- 30 points of actual ability. If we ignore the one CAT that you retook, and assuming a similar 'swing' in how your CATs function, your Official score is right 'in the middle' of your CAT score results. And again, if you were too tired to perform at your best, and made a few too many little mistakes over the course of the Exam, then that would account for the points that you lost.

3) Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores. With just 1 month of study, you likely have not put in enough time and effort yet to have scored higher.

Thankfully, the GMAT is the same consistent, predictable Exam that it's always been, so you CAN train to score at a higher level. I suggest that you take a couple of days 'off', then come back and we discuss how best to study from here on. Your recent focus was to score high enough to receive a workplace scholarship. What is the deadline to apply for that offer?

Rich

Hi Rich,

Right after your post, I began to study again. This time I study with MGMAT Quant books, e-gmat SC, and Powerscore CR Bible. I study almost everyday in the last two months, and I feel more confident than before. I took 3 MGMAT mock test till today, and I scored 580, 540, and 620. I've already set my next GMAT exam on nov 15th, and I hope I can beat this beast this time.
My target score is still above 500, because my workplace has postponed the scholarship deadline to Nov 18th. Wish me luck! :-D
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Irwan,

It sounds like you've followed a more disciplined study plan over the last couple of months and your CAT score results certainly show improvement. Remember that to hit your score goal you don't have to correctly answer ANY questions that seem too hard or too weird, but you do have to minimize the number of little mistakes that you make. Any time that you think a question is too hard, your best move is to quickly 'dump' it (just take a guess and move on), so that you have enough time to properly answer all of the 'gettable' questions.

Rich
GMAT Club Bot