GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Jun 2018, 03:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

3 weeks to go - Quant help needed

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
3 weeks to go - Quant help needed [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2017, 11:32
Hi everyone,

I am taking the gmat in about 3 weeks and have been studying for the past two months while working FT. My goal of course is 700+. About 3 weeks ago, I took my first gmatprep exam and scored 660 (Q42, V38). For verbal, I know my weakness is 700+ level questions in CR and SC. I have been focusing my verbal studies on only these questions and reviewing my strategy for each section using powerscore and mgmat sc - hopefully I can bump this up to 40+. But for quant, my weaknesses are everywhere. I have taken 3 mgmat cats recently and my scores hover in the 38-40 range. For sub-600 questions I have been about 90% correct, but all 600+ level questions, I am correct about 30% of the time. Timing is a slight issue and I am working on it, but it feels like I do not know how to approach the harder problems when I initially look at the question.

With 3 weeks remaining (~about 70 hours of study time), I am worried about going back to basics. How can I make sure to get up to the 45+ range in quant?

Thank you for any thoughts.
Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
D
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: 3 weeks to go - Quant help needed [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2017, 14:25
Hi Bobsugar7,

Assuming that you took your CATs in a realistic fashion, you're closer to a 700+ than you probably realize. Many Test Takers become overly focused on the 'implied level' of the questions that they're answering instead of the bigger issues - namely WHY you're getting questions wrong.

After reviewing this last CAT, how many questions did you get wrong in each section....
1) Because of a silly/little mistake?
2) Because there was some math/verbal that you just could not remember how to do?
3) Because the question was too hard?
4) Because you were low on time and had to guess?

If you can provide exact answers to these questions, then we can determine what you need to work on to raise your scores. Thankfully, the GMAT is a predictable, standardized Test, so you CAN train to score at a higher level.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

VP
VP
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: 339 Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2017, 20:13
Bobsugar7 wrote:
Hi everyone,

I am taking the gmat in about 3 weeks and have been studying for the past two months while working FT. My goal of course is 700+. About 3 weeks ago, I took my first gmatprep exam and scored 660 (Q42, V38). For verbal, I know my weakness is 700+ level questions in CR and SC. I have been focusing my verbal studies on only these questions and reviewing my strategy for each section using powerscore and mgmat sc - hopefully I can bump this up to 40+. But for quant, my weaknesses are everywhere. I have taken 3 mgmat cats recently and my scores hover in the 38-40 range. For sub-600 questions I have been about 90% correct, but all 600+ level questions, I am correct about 30% of the time. Timing is a slight issue and I am working on it, but it feels like I do not know how to approach the harder problems when I initially look at the question.

With 3 weeks remaining (~about 70 hours of study time), I am worried about going back to basics. How can I make sure to get up to the 45+ range in quant?

You're looking to do the right things, but it'd be good if you could get back to taking GMATPreps. The scores you're seeing in the tests you've been taking (after the initial GMATPrep) may not be very reliable. This close to your exam, you want to be seeing material that is as similar to the GMAT as possible.

Ascore Prep | Bangalore

Verbal Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2017, 22:12
Bobsugar7 wrote:
Hi everyone,

Hi Bobsugar7 ,
From now, you should only take the GMAT Prep practice tests as they are the most reliable indicator of your ability.
To revise Quant, you need to analyze what is type of error you make in 600 level questions -
- Careless error - goal should be to avoid this
- Content Errors - you need to revise the basics
- Technique Errors - probably you are using a time-consuming method

You can make error logs and then analyze.
-To improve in Quant - you should refresh your basics on Geometry, Statistics, word problems, overlapping sets and Coordinate geometry.
-Number theory, Permutations, and Combinations, Probability are relatively difficult to improve
To revise content for quant, you can use Manhattan or Veritas guides or Bunuel's signature questions and notes.

Hope this helps!! :)

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
D
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2017, 06:51
Use official quant questions for practice and review your mistakes and use official GMAT prep test for mocks.
Manager
Manager
G
Cesar: Cesar
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.8
WE: Corporate Finance (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2017, 14:33
Focus on OG (official guide) questions. You should practice a lot of 600s question to get confidence then go to 700s questions. On this process indentify the topics you are strugling more and focus on them. Finally, make a list of shortcuts and formulas that you need to know.
Good luck
SVP
SVP
V
GPA: 3.39
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2017, 11:17
Hi

If you don't want to go back to your basics you should focus on your weak areas in all sections of the GMAT like SC, DS, CR etc
Do a timed practice of each section's questions, make an error log to trace out your mistakes, review your mistake and learn from them
Take mock CATs and review them thoroughly, trace out your mistakes out of them and practice those type of questions again to get over it
it will boost your capability and score

Cheers :)

Official PS Practice Questions
Press +1 Kudos if this post is helpful

BSchool Forum Moderator
P
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.65
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2017, 07:48
Bobsugar7 wrote:
Hi everyone,

Hey mate,

I would suggest you focus on official QUANT question for the rest of the time ..

I think (and many would agree) the level of manhattan quant is really an overkill..

You would just be fine doing all the OG and GMATPrep Quant question ....

Try this and let me know if it helps

Compilation of Blogs by Mike Mcgarry - Magoosh

Re: 3 weeks to go - Quant help needed   [#permalink] 04 May 2017, 07:48

3 weeks to go - Quant help needed

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

HOT DEALS FOR JUNE
Math Revolution - $99/3 mo Free 1-month trial + Diagnostic Test
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
examPAL Full GMAT video course - Save 10%
EMPOWERgmat - $85/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month GMAT Prep Exams 3, 4, 5 & 6
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap