GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 24 May 2019, 12:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

670 to 740 in 2 months?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
670 to 740 in 2 months?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2017, 05:18
Hello Community,

in February I started learning for the Gmat the first time. I started off with quite balanced score of 550. After 3 to 4 weeks of highly intensive studying (12h/d) I took the actual Gmat (Scored 670, Q48, V34) and scored slightly worse than on the practice tests right before. The Gmatprep mock tests the days before were in the 690-700 range.

As I had absolutely no time due to work to concentrate on the gmat anymore I had to take a break from learning until the beginning of this month. I now managed to take 2 1/2 months off from my job in which I can now focus 100% on my next and hopefully last take of the Gmat on which I aim to achieve 740 points.

My question now is, if you have any tipps concerning the study approach after a three months break which can lead me to my desired score. In the last two weeks I have started to brush up all the basics that I've already learned back then and I am pretty confident with them again.

Concerning my own estimation of where I am right now / where I was 4 months ago:

Quant:
- Problem areas; Combinations, Geometry, Data Suf. (I'm too fast in just taking E, probably a focus issue...)
- I usually struggle with very hard questions, the easy ones are in most cases all right

Verbal:
SC: I often feel lost, especially when I am facing a lot of words that I do not even know or if I am asked to handle large sentences. In my opinion this is my weakest point in the whole gmat.
RC: Sometimes I have problems keeping the focus on the specific exercises, especially when it comes to long passages.
CR: This is probably my strongest area, I don't know why, but I never had to learn for these and always missed at maximum one question in the mock tests.

I have the following resources already available for my preparation:
- Economist GMAT Tutor (I really liked that one as it kind of forces you into the balance of learning concepts and exercices. I just asked them to reset my account, so that I am able to brush up all the concepts using the tool and subsequently solve the exercises as well. Though, I had the feeling, that the SC questions were much easier than the actual ones.)
- Manhattan GMAT Books / Mock tests
- OG 2017

In general I would say my time management is quite good (never finished too early / missed questions because of time issues).

I would be really thankful if you guys could give me some advice on how to proceed / which steps to take now. :)
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.7
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
Reviews Badge
Re: 670 to 740 in 2 months?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2017, 11:20
Hey,

Since you will have all the time to devote to GMAT in next 2 months, i think the target you have is achievable.
There are few things you need to get comfortable with before your actual test:
1. Test conditions : As you targeting a high percentile score you need to be very focused. Hence take a lot of tests before you for the real thing.
2. Basics : Be comfortable with all the basics. If you someone throws a very hard question at you, you should be able to solve it once you know the "trick" or "methodology". you should not be like "Oh i understand how to solve but forgot the formula."
3. Practice review repeat!!

Pointers related to sections:

Quant

PS : Try to achieve at least 95%+ accuracy in PS as they are relatively easier than DS.
DS : Be sure that you do not get confused between different option choices. We often tend to understand the question, solve for the answer but mark the wrong option.
Source of quant is attached with in. Use the flashcards learn all the basic concepts. Use Bunuel's signature link to understand those concepts and where to use them. And then practice here on GC forum. They have an amazing pool of questions.

Verbal
I am not that good at verbal myself but still know a few good sources.

SC: Use the Aristotle SC Grail for practice. In my opinion they have one of the best collection of questions coupled with very good explanations. Also go through the Mondays with Ron videos one by one, they will help you break down the sentences properly and you will not feel "lost" anymore.
Videos links:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/i-bet-everyo ... 19374.html
RC For this is no better way other than reading as much as you can. Reading practice will help you visualize the contents of the passage and hence better understanding in a single read.
CR Since your CR is already good, you can directly focus on 700+ type questions only. And believe me you will find them really difficult :)

All the best!!

+1 Kudos if it helps
Attachments

Flashcards - Quantitative Review.ppt [1.23 MiB]
Downloaded 161 times

To download please login or register as a user

GMAT Club Bot
Re: 670 to 740 in 2 months?   [#permalink] 21 Jul 2017, 11:20

670 to 740 in 2 months?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: adkikani

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap