GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Aug 2019, 04:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

760 Official Practice --> 660 Actual GMAT

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 660 Q40 V41
Re: 760 Official Practice --> 660 Actual GMAT  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2019, 11:44
Businessconquerer wrote:
bb wrote:
Have you seen any of the questions you e countered on your official test before?

I am afraid the last gmat prep test Wasa fluke. 2 weeks earlier you had 680. It is unlikely to be able to improve so much in just 2 weeks at the end of your prep. Sorry :-(

Posted from my mobile device

This is exactly what happened I think.

Your score is near your 680 score on PT 2

If it is any consolation even my score was merely 700 after getting a 730 in last one and 760 in second last

Idk how I got 760 but 730 was definitely my consistent level
Things happen during the exam, relax, sit back, take a course, check this post of mine out if you want

This plan has worked for me and some

I certainly understand where you're coming from, but I am having a really tough time believing it was a fluke! I took the practice exam in realistic testing conditions, took at max 8-minute breaks where I would be allowed during the actual exam, and did not see any repeat questions (save for one that I ended up getting wrong anyway). When reviewing the exam, sure I got lucky on a couple of guesses here and there, but the fact of the matter is, I got 9 out of the first 10 Quant questions correct, and only got 2 wrong on all of verbal. The questions I guessed on were later in the exam too, so it wasn't like I got lucky on the first few questions and coasted from there.

I understand that going from 500 --> 640 --> 710 --> 760 within a couple of months is highly unlikely, but I have fully devoted myself to this exam. I am not willing to concede that the 760 was a fluke - rather, I believe it represents my maximum potential combined with a little bit of luck.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2019, 11:52
RelSparty wrote:
Businessconquerer wrote:
bb wrote:
Have you seen any of the questions you e countered on your official test before?

I am afraid the last gmat prep test Wasa fluke. 2 weeks earlier you had 680. It is unlikely to be able to improve so much in just 2 weeks at the end of your prep. Sorry :-(

Posted from my mobile device

This is exactly what happened I think.

Your score is near your 680 score on PT 2

If it is any consolation even my score was merely 700 after getting a 730 in last one and 760 in second last

Idk how I got 760 but 730 was definitely my consistent level
Things happen during the exam, relax, sit back, take a course, check this post of mine out if you want

This plan has worked for me and some

I certainly understand where you're coming from, but I am having a really tough time believing it was a fluke! I took the practice exam in realistic testing conditions, took at max 8-minute breaks where I would be allowed during the actual exam, and did not see any repeat questions (save for one that I ended up getting wrong anyway). When reviewing the exam, sure I got lucky on a couple of guesses here and there, but the fact of the matter is, I got 9 out of the first 10 Quant questions correct, and only got 2 wrong on all of verbal. The questions I guessed on were later in the exam too, so it wasn't like I got lucky on the first few questions and coasted from there.

I understand that going from 500 --> 640 --> 710 --> 760 within a couple of months is highly unlikely, but I have fully devoted myself to this exam. I am not willing to concede that the 760 was a fluke - rather, I believe it represents my maximum potential combined with a little bit of luck.

We are not trying to offend you, we're just considering all possibilities.
It is perfectly possible to get a few questions correct on luck basis, and vice versa
I am a firm believer in "A person who can get an honest 650, can get a 700"

But it is more essential to know about other things

Knowing yourself is essential
What are the other things that you faced during the test???
Did you guess any questions?
What was your strategy????
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2019, 12:07
Businessconquerer wrote:
It is perfectly possible to get a few questions correct on luck basis, and vice versa

I know Businessconquerer don't worry, no offense taken. :) I really do appreciate everyone's help, this community has quickly helped me get past the 'moping phase' and into the 'preparing for the next attempt' phase, and for that I am extremely grateful.

What do you mean by the other things that I faced during the test?

I ended up guessing several questions on my actual exam because I ran out of time. I think it was due to nerves, and being thrown off by the verbal section, which seemed much different than what I was used to in my GMAT Prep practice.

I have taken a Princeton Review course, so generally I have a good strategy for verbal. I ended up spending a little longer on RCs (had to read passage multiple times) and CRs on my actual exam, which ended up contributing to running out of time. While I thought I bombed verbal, I ended up getting a 41, which was actually not too much lower than what I had been getting in practice. I know I'm still at least capable of a 44 though.

On quant, my strategy definitely needs to be revisited. I was just kind of bumbling along, and realized around question 13 that I was going to run out of time.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2019, 12:23
RelSparty wrote:
Businessconquerer wrote:

I know Businessconquerer don't worry, no offense taken. :) I really do appreciate everyone's help, this community has quickly helped me get past the 'moping phase' and into the 'preparing for the next attempt' phase, and for that I am extremely grateful.

What do you mean by the other things that I faced during the test?

I ended up guessing several questions on my actual exam because I ran out of time. I think it was due to nerves, and being thrown off by the verbal section, which seemed much different than what I was used to in my GMAT Prep practice.

I have taken a Princeton Review course, so generally I have a good strategy for verbal. I ended up spending a little longer on RCs (had to read passage multiple times) and CRs on my actual exam, which ended up contributing to running out of time. While I thought I bombed verbal, I ended up getting a 41, which was actually not too much lower than what I had been getting in practice. I know I'm still at least capable of a 44 though.

On quant, my strategy definitely needs to be revisited. I was just kind of bumbling along, and realized around question 13 that I was going to run out of time.

This is great, do not worry, may be you had an off day. Is princeton really helpful??

Most of the debatable OA is from Princeton but if it works for ya, great
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2019, 12:42
Businessconquerer wrote:
This is great, do not worry, may be you had an off day. Is princeton really helpful??

Princeton Review was helpful for verbal I think, not very helpful for quant. Luckily my dad is brilliant at quant so most of the progress I've made so far there has come from him. Do you have any other resources you'd recommend to get my quant score as high as possible? I just need to get consistently into Q45 and I'll be safely in the 700s.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2019, 12:50
RelSparty wrote:
Businessconquerer wrote:

Princeton Review was helpful for verbal I think, not very helpful for quant. Luckily my dad is brilliant at quant so most of the progress I've made so far there has come from him. Do you have any other resources you'd recommend to get my quant score as high as possible? I just need to get consistently into Q45 and I'll be safely in the 700s.

Official questions
Quant isn't just about knowing how to solve.
It is about knowing what trap the test taker has set for you in the DS questions

Take a free trial of EMPOWER GMAT, take a subscription if you like it

You can buy manhattan gmat's 500 high level questions for 35 USD, very helpful
If you are done with tests, MGMAT has quality tests

Veritas has a free for all question bank, you can/must access it
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2019, 03:20
I would chalk it up to a bad case of nerves. I experienced something similar a couple weeks ago, just completely froze up when i read the first question and it was all down hill from there. All my 'structured problem solving' went completely out the door and I was struggling to comprehend the simplest of questions. It felt like i was taking my first diagnostic all over again. Ended up with a gut wrenching 600.

Prior to this, i was scoring around 680-720, with scores showing gradual improvement. I was planning on doing a retake anyway, so had saved a couple of untouched practice exams for later, ended up doing one a few days after and scored a 740.

Did some digging around and it seems exam anxiety is real thing. Most people just schedule another one ASAP and keep warm by continuing to do practice sets.

No guarantee that the jitters won't be there again the second time round, but it's important to put yourself in the right frame. This stupid exam became my everything in the month leading up to my first attempt, while I wasn't necessarily stressed, I was certainty fixated on it.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2019, 07:18
PKP AD wrote:
I would chalk it up to a bad case of nerves. I experienced something similar a couple weeks ago, just completely froze up when i read the first question and it was all down hill from there. All my 'structured problem solving' went completely out the door and I was struggling to comprehend the simplest of questions. It felt like i was taking my first diagnostic all over again. Ended up with a gut wrenching 600.

Prior to this, i was scoring around 680-720, with scores showing gradual improvement. I was planning on doing a retake anyway, so had saved a couple of untouched practice exams for later, ended up doing one a few days after and scored a 740.

Did some digging around and it seems exam anxiety is real thing. Most people just schedule another one ASAP and keep warm by continuing to do practice sets.

No guarantee that the jitters won't be there again the second time round, but it's important to put yourself in the right frame. This stupid exam became my everything in the month leading up to my first attempt, while I wasn't necessarily stressed, I was certainty fixated on it.

Thanks for the advice PKP AD. I feel the exact same way, this exam has become my everything, I'm absolutely obsessed.

Have you already re-taken your exam? If so, how'd you do the second time around?
GMAT Club Bot
Re: 760 Official Practice --> 660 Actual GMAT   [#permalink] 08 Aug 2019, 07:18

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 28 posts ] 

760 Official Practice --> 660 Actual GMAT

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics