It is currently 22 Sep 2017, 15:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

770 GMAT, <3 years work experience

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

770 GMAT, <3 years work experience [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2017, 12:16
Planning to apply in September 2017 (R1).

Work experience:
By matriculation, 2 years and 8 months in management consulting at a strong tier 2 consulting firm (Deloitte S&O, ATK, L.E.K). Promoted within the first year. Had same city MBB offers but went for the T2 firm instead (more growth opportunity within the tech practice).
Extra curriculars: Involved in a sports organization (played competitively, organized events, sitting on a board). Heavily involved at the firm (recruiting, intellectual capital, internal initiatives and business development).
Undergrad school/major: Top Canadian university.
Race/nationality: White male (Canadian)

GMAT: 770
GPA: 3.9

Goal of MBA: Come back to my consulting firm.
Target schools: INSEAD would be my first choice by far (but I know they often look for older candidates). Otherwise, GSB, HBS, Wharton, MIT LGO, Oxford Said

1) Would the above schools consider a candidate with less than 3 years experience?
2) Any chance at some scholarships?
3) Any other school that would be more friendly to a young candidate (Europe or USA)?

I would rather not wait for personal reasons (I am married), but am wondering if I am shooting myself in the foot. I want to come back to Canada, so it is really unclear to me whether the higher cost and longer length of US MBAs are really worth it.

Thanks!

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Expert Post
Admissionado
S

Kudos [?]: 956 [0], given: 48

Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Re: 770 GMAT, <3 years work experience [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2017, 22:50
techmba2017 wrote:
Planning to apply in September 2017 (R1).

Work experience:
By matriculation, 2 years and 8 months in management consulting at a strong tier 2 consulting firm (Deloitte S&O, ATK, L.E.K). Promoted within the first year. Had same city MBB offers but went for the T2 firm instead (more growth opportunity within the tech practice).
Extra curriculars: Involved in a sports organization (played competitively, organized events, sitting on a board). Heavily involved at the firm (recruiting, intellectual capital, internal initiatives and business development).
Undergrad school/major: Top Canadian university.
Race/nationality: White male (Canadian)

GMAT: 770
GPA: 3.9

Goal of MBA: Come back to my consulting firm.
Target schools: INSEAD would be my first choice by far (but I know they often look for older candidates). Otherwise, GSB, HBS, Wharton, MIT LGO, Oxford Said

1) Would the above schools consider a candidate with less than 3 years experience?
2) Any chance at some scholarships?
3) Any other school that would be more friendly to a young candidate (Europe or USA)?

I would rather not wait for personal reasons (I am married), but am wondering if I am shooting myself in the foot. I want to come back to Canada, so it is really unclear to me whether the higher cost and longer length of US MBAs are really worth it.

Thanks!

Hey there,
Well I don't think you are shooting yourself in the foot. You have a few good things going for you:
- Great GMAT
- Coming from consulting (where it is normal to go do your MBA after two years)
- You have strong personal reasons (although please do also give some professional reasoning when you write your application.

I think with your profile, if you can make a strong case for: 1. Why now? 2. Why our school? (esp in INSEAD's case) you should have a good shot. I also don't see any reason for you to apply to any school outside your selected list. If you don't get in, your best solution is to wait one more year and try again, and I don't think you will need to compromise more than that :)

What about Canadian schools? Or is that a little bit of "been there, done that?" Obviously some of these International/US MBAs have better names, but if you are coming from and going back to Canada... it could make sense.

Best,
Jon

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado | Packages | Success Stories | Team

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Kudos [?]: 956 [0], given: 48