Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 14:54 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 14:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 666 [113]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Harvard Business School (HBS) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.91
WE:Corporate Finance (Venture Capital)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [1]
Given Kudos: 44
 Q47  V35
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3595 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
Re: 770 (Q:50, V46) Detailed Debrief [#permalink]
That is massive, congrats and thanks for the nice debrief.

:-D I love GMAT too, but I have a lot of distractions. This was quite motivating. I hope you get your dream school- Harvard. Good luck ahead.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 488 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Simply SUPERB..!!
Best of luck for your app. process.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
great score and debrief
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
thanks for all the details... It is really helpful

can you comment on the test center- conditions, noise level, monitor size, comfort of chair/desk space?

these are minor details but I tend to get worried over these as well...

congrats on top-notch score!
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [0]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Please accept my wholehearted congratulations!
I also want to point out that I was right when I told you to go ahead and take the test :wink:
You were definitely ready.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Awesome story; thanks for sharing.

Definitely a good reminder to not overlook strengths. (Many of us make this mistake) Still a great score though!

Good luck with Harvard.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 353 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
One of the best accounts I've read so far. Thank you very much indeed.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 666 [0]
Send PM
Thank you for all the nice comments! :-D

Royaldane - the thing I liked the most about Knewton quant was how much the practice and test questions resembled the challenging questions on the actual GMAT. The drawback is I don't think there are enough so you should supplement it with GMATClub tests or MGMAT question banks. As far as instruction goes, I think they put too much emphasis on targeting content to your individual needs. They have this "concept queue" that supposedly list all the content specific to you that you should learn - but I really didn't find that very useful. I actually preferred the general classes that went over basic concepts in number properties, inequalities, etc. I still think MGMAT is more comprehensive, but if you learn better by video or in an online classroom setting, the courses are well taught.

gurpreetsingh - thanks for referencing my debrief in my "may success stories" post - that was funny. Good luck in your prep!

pranrasvij - the test environment was nice. I actually preferred it to studying at home because it was quiet, spacious, and clean. Monitor was easy on the eyes (I think 17 inch screen? I could be off). Desk was comfortable too. Overall it was pleasant except I was annoyed that sometimes it took a while to check me out for break because my palm wouldn't register on the screen and it was eating into my break time. There will be other people in there - sometimes going in and out, but you'll be too focused to notice. If you're really bothered - they have both earplugs and noise reducing headphones you can use.

bb - your post was one the reasons I moved my test date up! When you said it's time for "battle" my test was still 3 weeks away and I wanted to make sure I can sustain my performance. Also much thanks for your other posts both in response to my questions as well as others. You've been very insightful in all your advice! :)

Originally posted by CharmWithSubstance on 14 May 2010, 04:32.
Last edited by CharmWithSubstance on 14 May 2010, 04:41, edited 2 times in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
CharmWithSubstance, when you were doing practice questions, did you solve them in a relaxed manner or did you try to pace yourself? Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
nonameee - for the most part I didn't time myself except for the MGMAT question banks and CATs. I figure I'll do enough CATs to get used to timing that my practice should be focused on content. What might help is to write down the questions that took you longer than 2 minutes to solve. I was lazy and just generally "ballparked" which questions I had trouble with, but many others have suggested that you keep track of how much time you spend on questions even if you don't set time limit for your questions.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
I've read a couple of your previous posts about pre-exam anxiety that you had. But overall, how confident with the material were you? I mean when you were still at college and prepared for an exam real well, you had that feeling that nothing can surprise you and that you "feel at home" as far as the material is concerned.

Also, are you a native speaker?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Ross 2013
GPA: 3.85
WE 1: Pharmaceutical industry 5 years, C level
Send PM
great debrief
Manager
Manager
Send PM
nonameee - I've never felt comfortable with the GMAT because I absolutely HATED the fact that you cannot jump around questions. Even in the end I had a hard time skipping a question knowing that I could not come back to it even if it started taking a long time. So I was comfortable with the material, but not confident that I could solve it in under 2 min. In college exams questions that appeared impossible to solve at first sometimes come to me after an hour or so.

I'm Chinese so not a native speaker but I came in middle school hence the good verbal and sucky math :o
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
CharmWithSubstance, I've got a few more questions for you:

1) If I understood you correctly, you knew you could solve any problem but you were not sure if you could do that under 2 min, right? If so, how did you deal with that? Did you solve a lot of math problems?

2) You wrote that you used Math Bible. How useful was it?

3) Also, you mentioned that you've learnt around 3000 new words for the SAT. How did you learn them? Did you have some sort of methodology? What would you say about the difficulty level of vocabulary in the GMAT in comparison to the SAT?

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Send PM
1.) I guess I just had to take it. Maybe that's what people mean when they say you'll never be too comfortable with the GMAT. That's where a lot of my math insecurities came from. In the end I got like four 50's in a row for the quant section of CATs and only was I a little convinced that I might do well...

I did solve a lot of math problems. About 90% of my studies were in quant. I solved 5 GMATClub tests (I suggest more), all MGMAT Qbanks, all Knewton questions, all OGs questions, plus all OG Quant questions.

2.) I didn't like the math bible as much as the MGMAT guides. Like I said maybe I just hate reading in PDFs with tiny fonts. I tried printing it out but it was still hard to follow. It's mainly instructional - only FIVE practice questions per section.

3.) I memorized 3000 new words for SATs because SATs focus on testing vocabulary. How do you do well in sentence completion and esp analogies if you don't know the words. If I studied the GRE I would do the same. But the GMAT is not a vocab test - more of a comprehension/logic test. The level of vocabulary is not high nor do you need to know every word you're reading to score well (unlike the SAT - if you don't know one of 2 words in the analogy prompt- you're screwed...)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
CharmWithSubstance, thanks a lot for your answers. I really appreciate it.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Schools:Columbia Business School '13
 Q28  V36 GMAT 2: 650  Q40  V39 GMAT 3: 720  Q44  V45
GPA: 3.6
WE 1: Investment Banking
WE 2: Higher Education
Send PM
Kudos +1. That's a great breakdown of your study methods. I wholeheartedly agree that you have to find a way to love the GMAT and you have to find a motivator. The picture of Harvard on your desk is a nice touch. Congratulations and good luck!
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   
Moderator:
Founder
37311 posts