GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 12 Dec 2019, 18:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

A certain baseball team has just completed its season. In stadiums tha

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: American Management association, American Association of financial accountants
Schools: Columbia university
A certain baseball team has just completed its season. In stadiums tha  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 03 Jan 2019, 13:44
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

59% (01:38) correct 41% (01:59) wrong based on 1042 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A certain baseball team has just completed its season. In stadiums that seat 20,000 or fewer people, the team averaged 1 home run per game; in stadiums that seat between 20,000 and 40,000 people, the team averaged 2 home runs per game; and, in stadiums that seat 40,000 or more people, the team averaged 3 home runs per game. Obviously, the excitement of playing in front of large crowds motivated the team to hit more home runs.

Assuming that all stadiums during the season were filled to capacity, which of the following, if true, most undermines the argument above?

(A) The team’s leading home run hitter hit more home runs in mid-sized stadiums than in large stadiums.

(B) The fans in the larger stadiums often cheered against the team.

(C) The team averaged only 2 home runs per game when playing in the league’s largest stadium.

(D) In order to create seating for the additional fans, the outfield walls in the larger stadiums were constructed closer to home base.

(E) The team’s announcer cited crowd noise as a major motivator for the team.

Originally posted by manalq8 on 25 Nov 2011, 14:24.
Last edited by Bunuel on 03 Jan 2019, 13:44, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
V
Re: A certain baseball team has just completed its season. In stadiums tha  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2012, 22:31
venmic wrote:
A certain baseball team has just completed its season. In stadiums that seat 20,000 or fewer people, the team averaged 1 “home run” -- a ball hit across the field of play and over the opposing fence, called the outfield wall -- per game. In stadiums that seat between 20,000 and 40,000 people, the team averaged 2 home runs per game. Finally, in stadiums that seat 40,000 or more people, the team averaged 3 home runs per game. Obviously, the excitement of playing in front of large crowds motivated the team to hit more home runs.

Assuming that all stadiums during the season were filled to capacity, which of the following, if true, most undermines the argument above?

(A) The team's leading home run hitter hit more home runs in mid-sized stadiums than in large stadiums.
(C) The team averaged only 2 home runs per game when playing in the league’s largest stadium.
(D) In order to create seating for the additional fans, the outfield walls in the larger stadiums were constructed closer to where the batter stands.

Why E cannot be the answer it implies there is an alternate cause for the conclusion?

I guess you are clear why (D) weakens the conclusion. Because the outfield walls are closer i.e. the distance to be covered is less, therefore, the batters hit more home runs.
Now, as for your question why (E) is not correct - there are two reasons - the team announcer cited crowd noise as a motivator but it doesn't make his statement true. The only thing we have to take to be true is that the announcer cited this. Whether it actually is true i.e. whether actually crowd noise is a motivator or not, we don't know.
Also, (E) actually supports the conclusion, if at all. The conclusion says that excitement of playing in front of large crowds motivates the team and (E) says that the noise the large crowd creates motivates the team. They are related, aren't they - larger the crowd, more the noise, more the excitement.

I would like to explain the first reason a little more:

Say there is an argument where the conclusion is "the politicians are corrupt because they are not paid well" and you need to strengthen it.
Let's say one of the options says, "my friend said that politicians are corrupt because they are not paid well"
This isn't what you are looking for. Just because someone else said it too, doesn't make it stronger. It is again someone's opinion. You are looking for facts that can strengthen the conclusion.

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: A certain baseball team has just completed its season. In stadiums tha  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2011, 20:58
“home run” -- a ball hit across the field of play and over the opposing fence, called the outfield wall --

The field of play is closer, so the players are easier to hit home run.

Choice D is correct one.
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2012, 10:02
venmic wrote:
A certain baseball team has just completed its season. In stadiums that seat 20,000 or fewer people, the team averaged 1 “home run” -- a ball hit across the field of play and over the opposing fence, called the outfield wall -- per game. In stadiums that seat between 20,000 and 40,000 people, the team averaged 2 home runs per game. Finally, in stadiums that seat 40,000 or more people, the team averaged 3 home runs per game. Obviously, the excitement of playing in front of large crowds motivated the team to hit more home runs.

D) In order to create seating for the additional fans, the outfield walls in the larger stadiums were constructed closer to where the batter stands.
E) The team’s announcer cited crowd noise as a major motivator for the team.

Vvhy can E not be the ansvver it implies there is an alternate casue for the conclusion

The conclusion of the argument: The excitement of playing in front of LARGE CROWDS motivate the team to hit MORE HOME RUNS

Choice (E) stated the opinion of the team ANNOUNCER that the crowd noise motivate the team hit more => this choice actually strengthen the conclusion of the argument, not undermine

Choice (D) states another reason why the team hit more when the audiences increase. Not by the excitement of the audiences, but by the different distance of the stadiums that can stand with different number of audiences.

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 12 Aug 2012, 00:40
I believe this is not fair question for international students especially those who don't know about baseball rules. Inside the question there is an assumption that HOME RUN score could be gain by a team when ball goes out side of the fence into crowds. Just after watching MONEY BALL movie i got the meaning of HOME RUN and when I checked the argument again it was so simple. :)

Originally posted by omidsa on 11 Aug 2012, 13:24.
Last edited by omidsa on 12 Aug 2012, 00:40, edited 2 times in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2012, 00:15
@omidsa Yeah a bit difficult if you dont know what an outerwall and home run is in the base ball game. Can someone explain how to eliminate C?
V

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2012, 22:28
omidsa wrote:
I believe this is not fair question for international students especially those who don't know about baseball rules. Inside the question there is an assumption that HOME RUN score could be gain by a team when ball goes out side of the fence into crowds. Just after watching MONEY BALL movie i got the meaning of HOME RUN and when I checked the argument again it was so simple. :)

Actually, they have given enough information for international students. Otherwise, they wouldn't have explained "home run".

“home run” -- a ball hit across the field of play and over the opposing fence, called the outfield wall --

GMAT does not assume that you know the terminology used in every sport but they do expect you to be able to figure out after they explain the terminology.

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
V

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2012, 22:31
crackHSW wrote:
@omidsa Yeah a bit difficult if you dont know what an outerwall and home run is in the base ball game. Can someone explain how to eliminate C?

They are talking about averages. Every element in the set needn't comply. Just because one stadium - the largest one - averaged 2 instead of 3 home runs, the conclusion is not weakened. Also, it doesn't tell us largest in what way - no of people or area of field of play etc.

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2012, 10:16
Just trying to think 'critically' regarding the point raised omidsa. Though the question does explain what a homerun is, it would be much easier for American candidates to grasp the point (as they already know it) while others have spend a little bit extra time and energy on it...............again, just trying to be devil's advocate, I understand there would always be cultural advantages / disadvantages as far as specific questions are concerned.
V

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2012, 22:29
IndianExpress wrote:
Just trying to think 'critically' regarding the point raised omidsa. Though the question does explain what a homerun is, it would be much easier for American candidates to grasp the point (as they already know it) while others have spend a little bit extra time and energy on it...............again, just trying to be devil's advocate, I understand there would always be cultural advantages / disadvantages as far as specific questions are concerned.

Agreed - it would be far easier for someone who already knows what a homerun is. Someone who has never caught a glimpse of baseball may have to imagine 'field of play' and 'opposing fence' etc. It would certainly take more time and effort but it will still be do-able and hence acceptable.

Also, GMAT is an international exam and they are very thorough in their procedures. I am sure you know that they put some 'trial questions' in the exam which are not scored. These are for future exams. If they see too much of regional bias in a particular question, they do not include it in their tests. Say, if most Americans who get 700 answer this question correctly but most Asians who get 700 answer it incorrectly, then they know that it is not a question appropriate for an international exam. GMAC is extremely particular about the validity of their questions and hence we don't need to worry about whether GMAT is fair to everyone.

Also, I am sure Americans can compain about how GMAT is not 'fair' - the environment that Asians grow in gives high exposure to Mathematics in the education system and hence great Quant scores.
Asians can complain about how GMAT is not 'fair' - English is Americans' first language so they tend to do better in Verbal etc etc

Overall, I think it is a pretty level playing field for everyone. Hence, we should rather invest our time and effort into 'thinking critically' about the various concepts that will be tested.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2012, 23:22
I totally missed what a Batter meant. I was thinking like a pastry Batter. I was wondering maybe there are stands where they sell batter. It probably doesn't make sense but still got me to eliminate the answer choice because it was absurd. So, I eliminated the choice.

Too bad this question didn't explain what a Batter or a Pitcher is. In the cricketing world they call a person hitting a ball a Batsman, not a Batter.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2012, 00:31
Given:
Team is more successful in larger venues.
It is assumed that the excitement of playing in front of large audience has motivated to hit more home runs.

A) The team's leading home run hitter hit more home runs in mid-sized stadiums than in large stadiums. - Gives out no precise information on the link between home runs and crowd - Incorrect
B)The fans in the larger stadiums often cheered against the team. - It is possible that team is motivated to prove the audience wrong and hit more home runs - Incorrect
C) The team averaged only 2 home runs per game when playing in the league’s largest stadium. - The number is still larger than the one hit in smaler stadium. Supports the assumption - Incorrect
D) In order to create seating for the additional fans, the outfield walls in the larger stadiums were constructed closer to where the batter stands. - Since the outfield wall has been constructed closer to where batter stands, it would have been easier for the batter to hit more home runs - Correct
E) The team’s announcer cited crowd noise as a major motivator for the team. - The assumption provided in the passage states the same - Incorrect
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2012, 19:31
D) is right.

In order to create seating for the additional fans, the outfield walls in the larger stadiums were constructed closer
to home base.
>>> This means that in the stadium which could seat 40K people, 40K seats were actually not filled. The walls were brought closer to the base.

Hence, score is not proportional to the number of people in audience.
Manager
Manager
WE 1: Oil and Gas - Engineering & Construction

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2012, 20:19
Pre phrasing the answer helped me out in this question.

Premises suggest clearly that the team was hitting more home runs whenever it played in stadiums that had "Larger capacity to seat the audience"

Conclusion States that - "the excitement of playing in front of large crowds motivated the team to hit more home runs"

In order to weaken this reasoning - I thought of following options before checking the AC's

1) team was playing a weaker team in all those games where they hit Home runs

2) either the grounds were smaller where the team was playing

and then after Reading the AC's i could pick {D} easily.

{D} provides the reasoning that since home base was made smaller to seat more audience, Team was able to Hit more Home-runs in stadiums which were largely crowded.
Thus refuting the conclusion that the baseball team was playing better just because there were large crowds.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2012, 14:18
vinayakv wrote:
A certain baseball team has just completed its season. In stadiums that seat 20,000 or fewer people, the team averaged 1 home run per game; in stadiums that seat between 20,000 and 40,000 people, the team averaged 2 home runs per game; and, in stadiums that seat 40,000 or more people, the team averaged 3 home runs per game. Obviously, the excitement of playing in front of large crowds motivated the team to hit more home runs.

(A) The team’s leading home run hitter hit more home runs in mid-sized stadiums than in large stadiums.
(D) In order to create seating for the additional fans, the outfield walls in the larger stadiums were constructed closer to home base.

Some great responses to this question already, so I just wanted to chime in with a little general context. The assumption made here eliminates alternatives. Be on the lookout for this category of assumption any time the Conclusion provides an explanation for some phenomenon:

Premise: The team hits more homeruns in stadiums with larger capacity. (This is a phenomenon that has been observed.)

Conclusion: The excitement of a larger crowd causes the team to hit more homeruns. (This is an explanation of the phenomenon.)

The first question you should ask when you see this structure is "are there any other explanations?"

The correct answer to a Find the Assumption or Strengthen the Conclusion question should eliminate the alternatives. The correct answer to an Evaluate the Argument question should ask if there are alternatives. And the correct answer to a Weaken the Conclusion question should provide at least one such alternative – (D) does the trick in this problem.

Try to place assumptions into categories such as this one. It makes brainstorming much easier!

Cheers,
Mark
A certain baseball team has just completed its season. In stadiums tha  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2013, 10:26
Quote:

OFFICIAL EXPLANATION:

home run (noun) = a point scored in baseball by hitting the ball so far that you have time to run all the way around the four corners of the playing field before it is returned

the outfield (noun) = the part of a cricket or baseball field that is the longest distance distance away from the batter (=person trying to hit the ball) or the group of players there

On average, the team hit more home runs playing in front of larger crowds than in front of smaller crowds. The argument attributes this statistic to the motivation that comes from playing in front of larger crowds. In order to undermine this conclusion, look for another reason to explain why more home runs were hit in front of larger crowds.

(A) The argument makes a claim about the collective behavior of the team. This collective claim does NOT preclude certain individuals from hitting fewer home runs in larger stadiums.

(B) The claim made in the argument is based on the size of the crowd in each stadium. For whom the fans cheered is IRRELEVANT to the argument.

(C) Similar to answer choice A, this choice cites one specific example of contradictory information, while the argument is based on the average behavior of the team throughout the entire season. The does NOT strongly undermine that, on average, the team was motivated by larger crowds.

(D) CORRECT. This choice explains that the larger stadiums actually have different dimensions from the smaller stadiums. In order to accommodate a larger number of fans, the outfield walls are closer to the batters. Thus, it is very possible that the greater number of home runs is due to the fact that the ball does not have to travel as far in larger stadiums.

(E) The announcer’s opinion is NOT relevant to the argument, and, even if it were, this choice would STRENGTHEN the argument.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2014, 22:42
Mountain14 wrote:

The team's leading home run hitter hit more home runs in mid-sized stadiums than in large stadiums.
The fans in the larger stadiums often cheered against the team.
The team averaged only 2 home runs per game when playing in the league’s largest stadium.
In order to create seating for the additional fans, the outfield walls in the larger stadiums were constructed closer to where the batter stands.
The team’s announcer cited crowd noise as a major motivator for the team.

I chose A wrongly and I missed D, good question!

Background:A certain baseball team has just completed its season.

Premise:In stadiums that seat 20,000 or fewer people, the team averaged 1 “home run” -- a ball hit across the field of play and over the opposing fence, called the outfield wall -- per game. In stadiums that seat between 20,000 and 40,000 people, the team averaged 2 home runs per game. Finally, in stadiums that seat 40,000 or more people, the team averaged 3 home runs per game.

Conclusion:Obviously, the excitement of playing in front of large crowds motivated the team to hit more home runs.

A.The team's leading home run hitter hit more home runs in mid-sized stadiums than in large stadiums. My mistake. I assume that the number of people in large stadium is larger than in mid-sized stadium. This maybe true but irrelevant to the stem.

B.The fans in the larger stadiums often cheered against the team.Strengthen.

C.The team averaged only 2 home runs per game when playing in the league’s largest stadium.irrelevant

D.In order to create seating for the additional fans, the outfield walls in the larger stadiums were constructed closer to where the batter stands. Hit the point, imagining the scene will give a help to understand.

E.The team’s announcer cited crowd noise as a major motivator for the team. Strengthen.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 2: 590 Q49 V22
GMAT 3: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 4: 740 Q49 V41
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 25 Dec 2014, 14:35
Do I correctly understand that this is a question from a baseball fan?
This question presupposes that one has to know some specific details about baseball.
For example I didn't know that different baseball stadiums (in one particular league) may have different field sizes. So for me D sounds like spectators were sitting a bit closer to the field on the bigger stadiums. Not that fields on those stadiums were smaller than those of smaller stadiums.
What is the probability that such biased questions will appear on the real GMAT?
Marshall & McDonough Moderator
D
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2016, 22:57
Conclusion: Larger the crowd, more is the motivation to hit more home runs

A. The team’s leading home run hitter hit more home runs in mid-sized stadiums than in large stadiums. - Incorrect - Does not weaken

B. The fans in the larger stadiums often cheered against the team. - Incorrect - Strengthens the conclusion

C. The team averaged only 2 home runs per game when playing in the league’s largest stadium. - Incorrect - Does not weaken

D. In order to create seating for the additional fans, the outfield walls in the larger stadiums were constructed closer to home base. - Correct - Increase in seating resulted in smaller ground area. So it was easier to score more home.

E. The team’s announcer cited crowd noise as a major motivator for the team. - Incorrect

Answer: D
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 570 Q44 V27
GPA: 3.11
WE: Other (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2016, 01:46
samsmalldog wrote:
Mountain14 wrote:

The team's leading home run hitter hit more home runs in mid-sized stadiums than in large stadiums.
The fans in the larger stadiums often cheered against the team.
The team averaged only 2 home runs per game when playing in the league’s largest stadium.
In order to create seating for the additional fans, the outfield walls in the larger stadiums were constructed closer to where the batter stands.
The team’s announcer cited crowd noise as a major motivator for the team.

I chose A wrongly and I missed D, good question!

Background:A certain baseball team has just completed its season.

Premise:In stadiums that seat 20,000 or fewer people, the team averaged 1 “home run” -- a ball hit across the field of play and over the opposing fence, called the outfield wall -- per game. In stadiums that seat between 20,000 and 40,000 people, the team averaged 2 home runs per game. Finally, in stadiums that seat 40,000 or more people, the team averaged 3 home runs per game.

Conclusion:Obviously, the excitement of playing in front of large crowds motivated the team to hit more home runs.

A.The team's leading home run hitter hit more home runs in mid-sized stadiums than in large stadiums. My mistake. I assume that the number of people in large stadium is larger than in mid-sized stadium. This maybe true but irrelevant to the stem.

B.The fans in the larger stadiums often cheered against the team.Strengthen.

C.The team averaged only 2 home runs per game when playing in the league’s largest stadium.irrelevant

D.In order to create seating for the additional fans, the outfield walls in the larger stadiums were constructed closer to where the batter stands. Hit the point, imagining the scene will give a help to understand.

E.The team’s announcer cited crowd noise as a major motivator for the team. Strengthen.

Even though you assumed that number of people in large stadium is larger than in mid-sized stadium (which in my opinion is correct thinking) it isn't the problem. Actually premises state that more the number of seats get more home runs per game team makes. This answer choice contradicts premise , not the conclusion

In stadiums that seat 20,000 or fewer people, the team averaged 1 “home run”

In stadiums that seat between 20,000 and 40,000 people, the team averaged 2 home runs per game

Finally, in stadiums that seat 40,000 or more people, the team averaged 3 home runs per game

In CR we must select an answer choice which weakens the main assumption, not that weakens premise. Here assumption is that "Conditions in all stadiums are same and that increase in crowd size is the only factor that increases "home run" statistics". If you can't think of assumption, concentrate on main conclusion and its link with premises.
Since author assumes that premises are all true, they test ability to see link between premise and conclusion and attack exactly that link.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: A certain baseball team has just completed its season. In stadiums tha   [#permalink] 02 Dec 2016, 01:46

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 25 posts ] 

A certain baseball team has just completed its season. In stadiums tha

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics