GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Dec 2018, 19:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • $450 Tuition Credit & Official CAT Packs FREE

December 15, 2018

December 15, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Get the complete Official GMAT Exam Pack collection worth $100 with the 3 Month Pack ($299)
  • FREE Quant Workshop by e-GMAT!

December 16, 2018

December 16, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Get personalized insights on how to achieve your Target Quant Score.

A church C is on a hilltop at a height 300 feet from the ground and is

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Math Expert
V
A church C is on a hilltop at a height 300 feet from the ground and is  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2018, 05:16
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

33% (01:52) correct 67% (01:48) wrong based on 82 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A church C is on a hilltop at a height 300 feet from the ground and is reached only through stairs of steps of width 1/3 foot. How many steps must be climbed to reach the entrance of church C from the bottom A of the stairs?

(1) The height of each step is 1/2 foot.
(2) Church C is located at a horizontal distance of 300 feet from the bottom of the stairs A.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 2.88
WE: Science (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Re: A church C is on a hilltop at a height 300 feet from the ground and is  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2018, 16:27
I am a bit confused by this question.

Statement (1): Knowing the height of each step here means you don't need to factor in the width of each step. Given the vertical height of the church from the ground (300ft) and the height of each step (1/2ft), you can easily calculate that the number of steps must be 300/(1/2) = 600 steps. So statement (1) is sufficient.

Statement (2): Knowing the horizontal distance here means you don't need to factor in the vertical height of the church. Given the width of each step (1/3ft) and the horizontal distance (300ft), you can easily calculate that the number of steps must be 300/(1/3) = 900 steps. So statement (2) is sufficient.

Each statement alone is sufficient means that the answer is D. However... when I calculate it as above, the answers are actually different (600 steps for (1) vs. 900 steps for (2)). So... I must have approached this incorrectly I think? I didn't think the statements can contradict each other.

Not a professional entity or a quant/verbal expert or anything. So take my answers with a grain of salt.

Manager
Manager
S
GPA: 3.87
Re: A church C is on a hilltop at a height 300 feet from the ground and is  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2018, 04:29
Given : height 300 feet from the ground
=> As it forms a Right Triangle , we need length of hypotenuse and step height or total number of steps

(1) The height of each step is 1/2 foot.=>No hypotenuse given=> Insufficient

(2) Church C is located at a horizontal distance of 300 feet from the bottom of the stairs A.
we can find hypotenuse with Pythagorean theorem, but need step height ==> Insufficient

Combining 1 & 2 we get hyp & step height ==> Sufficient

Option C
Manager
Manager
S
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2018, 00:13
Bunuel wrote:
A church C is on a hilltop at a height 300 feet from the ground and is reached only through stairs of steps of width 1/3 foot. How many steps must be climbed to reach the entrance of church C from the bottom A of the stairs?

Total height = 300 ft

Step width = 1/3 ft

1) Total Steps = Total Height/height of single step = 300/1/2 = 600 steps. Sufficient!

2) Total Steps = Total Horizontal distance/width of single step = 300/1/3 = 900 steps. Sufficient!

Answer is 'D'
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2018, 10:39
Ans C

to answer the question we first need to find diagonal length of each step and then length of hypotenuse of right triangle formed by a point on ground, church on hill top and stairs step .

S1 gives h = 1/2 ft w= 1/3 ft but l= ??, so we cannot find diagonal length of a stair. also we do not know length of hypotenuse.

S2 : First , from question stem we already know that vertical distance between point B on ground and Church C = 300 ft. S2 provides us further information that horizontal distance between point A and C (Point A is where the first stair will be laid) is 300 ft , hence we can deduce that BC = 300 as well.
Now we know the base and height f triangle , using Pythagoras theorem we can calculate Hypotenuse.
But we do not know Height of stairs hence S2 is also ISF.

Combine 1 & 2 , From s1 we get stairs height = 1/2 and from S2 we get Hypotenuse . hence SF
DS Forum Moderator
P
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2018, 20:22
blueviper wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Total height = 300 ft

Step width = 1/3 ft

1) Total Steps = Total Height/height of single step = 300/1/2 = 600 steps. Sufficient!

2) Total Steps = Total Horizontal distance/width of single step = 300/1/3 = 900 steps. Sufficient!

Answer is 'D'

Hello

In GMAT, whenever the answer is D, both statements should give the same answer. Here in this case we are getting '600 steps' from first statement and '900 steps' from second statement (different answers), so probably we need to re-look at our analysis.
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 600 Q40 V33
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2018, 05:42
answer (A) in my opinion.

statement 1 - We know the height we have to climb and we know the height of individual stairs.. width should be irrelevant, even if it is not it is additional information and doesnt harm. SUFFICIENT

statement 2 - we know the base and height of triangle and can figure out hyp. now, can we have 2 or more different total steps to climb when we know the slanting distance we need to cover? if i assume all individual steps are of same height then no we cant have. but what if individual step heights are different?

I would probably have chosen A or D in test.
Manager
Manager
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2018, 04:07
Hello Jerry1982 & baru,

Here the question is asking for the total number of steps we need to take, but not asking for the total distance we need to cover.
If we were asked about the distance someone has to cover to reach the church, then we would have needed the hypotenuse or length of each step.

From statement-1 we can calculate the number of steps = total height/height of each step.
From statement-2 we can calculate the number of steps = total horizontal length/width of each step.

So, the answer is D.
Hope it helps.

I wrongly chose the option A because I couldn't correlate the horizontal length of the church and width of each step.
My mistake.
Manager
Manager
S
GPA: 3.87

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2018, 22:29
jackspire wrote:
Hello Jerry1982 & baru,

Here the question is asking for the total number of steps we need to take, but not asking for the total distance we need to cover.
If we were asked about the distance someone has to cover to reach the church, then we would have needed the hypotenuse or length of each step.

From statement-1 we can calculate the number of steps = total height/height of each step.
From statement-2 we can calculate the number of steps = total horizontal length/width of each step.

So, the answer is D.
Hope it helps.

I wrongly chose the option A because I couldn't correlate the horizontal length of the church and width of each step.
My mistake.

We usually donot builds steps vertically , So -->total Vertical height/height of each step -Is wrong
It should be Hupotenues height to calculate the total number of steps , Hence C
GMAT Club Bot
Re: A church C is on a hilltop at a height 300 feet from the ground and is &nbs [#permalink] 25 Jun 2018, 22:29

A church C is on a hilltop at a height 300 feet from the ground and is

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap