GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Nov 2019, 01:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

A few people who are bad writers simply cannot improve their

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Sep 2010
Posts: 245
A few people who are bad writers simply cannot improve their  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2012, 06:17
15
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  45% (medium)

Question Stats:

66% (01:46) correct 34% (01:52) wrong based on 1019 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A few people who are bad writers simply cannot improve their writing, whether or not they receive instruction. still, most bad writers can at least be taught to improve their writing enough so that they are no longer bad writers. However, no one can become a great writer simply by being taught how to be a better writer, since great writers must have not just skill, but also talent.
Which one of the following can be properly infered from the passage above?
A). All bad writers can become better writers.
B). All great writers had to be taught to become better writers.
C). Some bad writer can never become great writers.
D). Some bad writers can become great writers.
E). Some great writers can be taught to be even better writers.

Can someone please shed some light on this question as to how you approach this question. Do you use Logic Diagrams in such questions?

Thanks
H
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
V
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 9784
Location: Pune, India
Re: A few people who are bad writers simply  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2012, 04:53
11
2
imhimanshu wrote:
A few people who are bad writers simply cannot improve their writing, whether or not they receive instruction. still, most bad writers can at least be taught to improve their writing enough so that they are no longer bad writers. However, no one can become a great writer simply by being taught how to be a better writer, since great writers must have not just skill, but also talent.
Which one of the following can be properly infered from the passage above?
A). All bad writers can become better writers.
B). All great writers had to be taught to become better writers.
C). Some bad writer can never become great writers.
D). Some bad writers can become great writers.
E). Some great writers can be taught to be even better writers.

Can someone please shed some light on this question as to how you approach this question. Do you use Logic Diagrams in such questions?

Thanks
H


You don't need any venn diagrams for this question. Just pick the required info:

1. Some bad writer CANNOT get better.
2. Most bad writers can be taught enough to be not bad anymore.
3. No one can become great by simply being taught how to be better since you need talent to be great.

Option (C) is straight forward - some bad writers can never become great (in fact some cannot even get better, forget about great).

Look at the other options:

A). All bad writers can become better writers - Incorrect according to the argument
B). All great writers had to be taught to become better writers - Incorrect according to the argument
D). Some bad writers can become great writers - Perhaps not! May be, if they have hidden talent but we certainly cannot infer this statement from the argument. The argument only tells us what cannot make one a great writer. It doesn't tell us what will make someone great.
E). Some great writers can be taught to be even better writers. - The argument doesn't talk about making great even better.
_________________
Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 06 Mar 2012
Posts: 11
Schools: Booth '15
Re: A few people who are bad writers simply  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2012, 08:20
I picked C. Here is my reason:

Bad Writer - > taught/skill !-> great writer
bad writer -> taught/skill -> some still bad (first line)

taught + talent -> great writer (last line)

from the diag. above: only C is correct that some bad writers can't become great writers.

PS: !-> stands for does not implies.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 15 Jun 2010
Posts: 275
Schools: IE'14, ISB'14, Kellogg'15
WE 1: 7 Yrs in Automobile (Commercial Vehicle industry)
Reviews Badge
Re: A few people who are bad writers simply  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2012, 22:45
1
If in option C some is replaced by ALL, will it be still correct?
_________________
Regards
SD
-----------------------------
Press Kudos if you like my post.
Debrief 610-540-580-710(Long Journey): http://gmatclub.com/forum/from-600-540-580-710-finally-achieved-in-4th-attempt-142456.html
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 26 Feb 2013
Posts: 147
Re: A few people who are bad writers simply  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2013, 03:23
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
imhimanshu wrote:
A few people who are bad writers simply cannot improve their writing, whether or not they receive instruction. still, most bad writers can at least be taught to improve their writing enough so that they are no longer bad writers. However, no one can become a great writer simply by being taught how to be a better writer, since great writers must have not just skill, but also talent.
Which one of the following can be properly infered from the passage above?
A). All bad writers can become better writers.
B). All great writers had to be taught to become better writers.
C). Some bad writer can never become great writers.
D). Some bad writers can become great writers.
E). Some great writers can be taught to be even better writers.

Can someone please shed some light on this question as to how you approach this question. Do you use Logic Diagrams in such questions?

Thanks
H


You don't need any venn diagrams for this question. Just pick the required info:

1. Some bad writer CANNOT get better.
2. Most bad writers can be taught enough to be not bad anymore.
3. No one can become great by simply being taught how to be better since you need talent to be great.

Option (C) is straight forward - some bad writers can never become great (in fact some cannot even get better, forget about great).

Look at the other options:

A). All bad writers can become better writers - Incorrect according to the argument
B). All great writers had to be taught to become better writers - Incorrect according to the argument
D). Some bad writers can become great writers - Perhaps not! May be, if they have hidden talent but we certainly cannot infer this statement from the argument. The argument only tells us what cannot make one a great writer. It doesn't tell us what will make someone great.
E). Some great writers can be taught to be even better writers. - The argument doesn't talk about making great even better.


Hi Karishma,
"It doesn't tell us what will make someone great."
I disagree, it does tell us what it takes to be a great writer, that is talent:
"...since great writers must have not just skill, but also talent".
Any thoughts?
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
V
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 9784
Location: Pune, India
Re: A few people who are bad writers simply  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2013, 21:00
Skag55 wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
imhimanshu wrote:
A few people who are bad writers simply cannot improve their writing, whether or not they receive instruction. still, most bad writers can at least be taught to improve their writing enough so that they are no longer bad writers. However, no one can become a great writer simply by being taught how to be a better writer, since great writers must have not just skill, but also talent.
Which one of the following can be properly infered from the passage above?
A). All bad writers can become better writers.
B). All great writers had to be taught to become better writers.
C). Some bad writer can never become great writers.
D). Some bad writers can become great writers.
E). Some great writers can be taught to be even better writers.

Can someone please shed some light on this question as to how you approach this question. Do you use Logic Diagrams in such questions?

Thanks
H


You don't need any venn diagrams for this question. Just pick the required info:

1. Some bad writer CANNOT get better.
2. Most bad writers can be taught enough to be not bad anymore.
3. No one can become great by simply being taught how to be better since you need talent to be great.

Option (C) is straight forward - some bad writers can never become great (in fact some cannot even get better, forget about great).

Look at the other options:

A). All bad writers can become better writers - Incorrect according to the argument
B). All great writers had to be taught to become better writers - Incorrect according to the argument
D). Some bad writers can become great writers - Perhaps not! May be, if they have hidden talent but we certainly cannot infer this statement from the argument. The argument only tells us what cannot make one a great writer. It doesn't tell us what will make someone great.
E). Some great writers can be taught to be even better writers. - The argument doesn't talk about making great even better.


Hi Karishma,
"It doesn't tell us what will make someone great."
I disagree, it does tell us what it takes to be a great writer, that is talent:
"...since great writers must have not just skill, but also talent".
Any thoughts?


This is the necessary/sufficient condition distinction.
"...since great writers must have not just skill, but also talent". tells you that you NEED skill and talent to be great. The point is will everyone who posses both be great? We don't know. We don't know what is sufficient to make a great writer. What we know is what is necessary "not just skill but also talent"
_________________
Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Status: Student
Joined: 26 Aug 2013
Posts: 167
Location: France
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: EMLYON FT'16
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V32
GPA: 3.44
Re: A few people who are bad writers simply cannot improve their  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2014, 09:30
HI,

Isn't it "all bad writers can never be great writers"?

Thanks for discussion!
_________________
Think outside the box
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 04 May 2013
Posts: 268
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Human Resources
Schools: XLRI GM"18
GPA: 4
WE: Human Resources (Human Resources)
Re: A few people who are bad writers simply cannot improve their  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2014, 18:33
A few people who are bad writers simply cannot improve their writing, whether or not they receive instruction. still, most bad writers can at least be taught to improve their writing enough so that they are no longer bad writers. However, no one can become a great writer simply by being taught how to be a better writer, since great writers must have not just skill, but also talent.
Which one of the following can be properly infered from the passage above?
A). All bad writers can become better writers....NOR REALLY .. SEE OPENING STATEMENT...
B). All great writers had to be taught to become better writers.STRETCHING IT TOO MUCH..
C). Some bad writer can never become great writers....CORRECT ... SEE OPENING NARRATIVE.....
D). Some bad writers can become great writers.....STRETCHING IT TOO MUCH....
E). Some great writers can be taught to be even better writers...STRETCHING IT TOO MUCH.....
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
V
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 9784
Location: Pune, India
Re: A few people who are bad writers simply cannot improve their  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jan 2014, 20:50
1
Paris75 wrote:
HI,

Isn't it "all bad writers can never be great writers"?

Thanks for discussion!


No. You need to be very particular about EXACTLY what is given. All we have is this:

1. Some bad writers CANNOT get better.
2. Most bad writers can be taught enough to be not bad anymore.
3. No one can become great by simply being taught how to be better since you need talent to be great.

We know that one cannot become great by being taught if he doesn't have talent. But do we know that all bad writers have no talent? It's not given to us. One could be a bad writer because one was not instructed well. But actually one may have "hidden talent". Anyway, these are just assumptions but the point is that we are not given that all bad writers do not have talent. We are given though that 'some bad writers cannot get better' so we know that they will never become great writers. So we can say that 'some bad writers will never be great.'
_________________
Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 14 Mar 2015
Posts: 32
Schools: ISB '18
Re: A few people who are bad writers simply cannot improve their  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2015, 05:19
imhimanshu wrote:
A few people who are bad writers simply cannot improve their writing, whether or not they receive instruction. still, most bad writers can at least be taught to improve their writing enough so that they are no longer bad writers. However, no one can become a great writer simply by being taught how to be a better writer, since great writers must have not just skill, but also talent.
Which one of the following can be properly infered from the passage above?
A). All bad writers can become better writers.
B). All great writers had to be taught to become better writers.
C). Some bad writer can never become great writers.
D). Some bad writers can become great writers.
E). Some great writers can be taught to be even better writers.

Can someone please shed some light on this question as to how you approach this question. Do you use Logic Diagrams in such questions?

Thanks
H



The opening line of the passage gives a good amount of information to make the decision.

2nd line says --> most bad writers can be taught so that they are no longer bad.
next line says --> still being better writer doesn't make one great writer until one has talent.

Now if you again go through 1st line, you will get a clear picture.
'Some bad writers will be bad even after giving instructions. So they can't become great writers (when they couldn't become better/NOT bad writers).

So correct answer choice is C.
_________________
It ain’t about how hard you hit. It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward;
how much you can take and keep moving forward.

That’s how winning is done!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 24 Nov 2015
Posts: 482
Location: United States (LA)
Reviews Badge
Re: A few people who are bad writers simply cannot improve their  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2016, 15:19
as well known from the definition of inference it is a near fetched conclusion(often called hidden conclusion),only option C meets the brief.
Answer - C
Senior SC Moderator
User avatar
V
Joined: 14 Nov 2016
Posts: 1347
Location: Malaysia
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A few people who are bad writers simply cannot improve their  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2017, 23:56
imhimanshu wrote:
A few people who are bad writers simply cannot improve their writing, whether or not they receive instruction. still, most bad writers can at least be taught to improve their writing enough so that they are no longer bad writers. However, no one can become a great writer simply by being taught how to be a better writer, since great writers must have not just skill, but also talent.

Which one of the following can be properly infered from the passage above?

A). All bad writers can become better writers.
B). All great writers had to be taught to become better writers.
C). Some bad writer can never become great writers.
D). Some bad writers can become great writers.
E). Some great writers can be taught to be even better writers.


General Description: This question asks you to find the response that can be inferred from the given passage. A statement that may well be true, but that is irrelevant to the passage, cannot be the best answer. Even a response that presents information consistent with the passage need not be the best answer. Rather, the passage must provide grounds or support for inferring the response in order for that response to be the best answer.

A. Incorrect. This statement is contradicted by the first sentence in the passage, which states that there are some bad writers who cannot become better writers.

B. Incorrect. This statement is consistent with the passage. The passage allows the possibility that all great writers had to be taught to become better writers, though it says (in the last sentence) that teaching is not sufficient for becoming a great writer. But the passage also allows the possibility that some great writers did not have to be taught to become better writers. Since both the statement and its opposite are consistent with the passage, the statement in response (B) cannot be inferred from the passage.

C. Correct. This follows from the first sentence: Since some people are bad writers who cannot improve their writing, and since bad writers would have to improve their writing as a precondition for becoming great writers, it follows that there are some people who are bad writers and who can never become great writers.

D. Incorrect. Given the passage, there may well be some bad writers who can become great writers, but it might be instead that no bad writers can become great writers. Since both the statement and its opposite are consistent with the passage, the statement in response (D) cannot be inferred from the passage.

E. Incorrect. The passage makes no claims about how a great writer could become an even better writer, so this response cannot be inferred from the passage.

Difficulty Level: Medium difficulty

Tips and Pitfalls: If a question asks what can be properly inferred from the passage, do not choose a response simply because it is consistent with the passage. The correct response will be one that follows logically from the statements in the passage; that is, the one that is consistent with the passage, but whose opposite is not consistent with the passage.
_________________
"Be challenged at EVERY MOMENT."

“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.”

"Each stage of the journey is crucial to attaining new heights of knowledge."

Rules for posting in verbal forum | Please DO NOT post short answer in your post!

Advanced Search : https://gmatclub.com/forum/advanced-search/
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Dec 2016
Posts: 3
Re: A few people who are bad writers simply cannot improve their  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2017, 04:09
I am one of them. I want to resolve this problem.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 07 Jun 2018
Posts: 11
Location: India
Concentration: Other, Operations
GPA: 3.15
WE: General Management (Computer Software)
Re: A few people who are bad writers simply cannot improve their  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2018, 11:04
Hi @KarishmaB@,

In the premise, it is given that 'FEW people who are bad writers simply cannot improve their writing'. While, the OA given is option 'C' which states 'SOME.........'. I understand that FEW is any number less than 50% while SOME can be anything form 1 to 99.
Basically, FEW is smaller than SOME. As answer to inference Q has to be 100% of the time true, I did eliminate option C.

Could you please help explain on why C is right?
SC Moderator
User avatar
V
Joined: 23 Sep 2015
Posts: 1716
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: A few people who are bad writers simply cannot improve their  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2018, 08:31
1
achandak wrote:
Hi @KarishmaB@,

In the premise, it is given that 'FEW people who are bad writers simply cannot improve their writing'. While, the OA given is option 'C' which states 'SOME.........'. I understand that FEW is any number less than 50% while SOME can be anything form 1 to 99.
Basically, FEW is smaller than SOME. As answer to inference Q has to be 100% of the time true, I did eliminate option C.

Could you please help explain on why C is right?


I think you have started on a wrong foot over here. This is an inference question. The approach should be different. You have to read every choice and find that how it can be wrong. If not then its is our answer. I think this is only question type where you dont need to find all incorrect choices. If you are absolutly certain then in most of the cases that choice will be answer. Now about answer choice
Quote:
C. Some bad writer can never become great writers.


Well in some cases, no matter how much you teach a bad writer, he/she will not improve. I think content clearly support it. I am not sure that extent of few/some will help you anyways. Moreover gmat dont ask any question on these grounds. Hope it helped.
_________________
Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2 | How to Improve GMAT Quant from Q49 to a Perfect Q51 | Time management

My Notes:
Reading comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Absolute Phrases | Subjunctive Mood
SVP
SVP
User avatar
V
Status: It's near - I can see.
Joined: 13 Apr 2013
Posts: 1701
Location: India
Concentration: International Business, Operations
Schools: INSEAD Jan '19
GPA: 3.01
WE: Engineering (Real Estate)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
A few people who are bad writers simply cannot improve their  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2019, 05:18
imhimanshu wrote:
A few people who are bad writers simply cannot improve their writing, whether or not they receive instruction. still, most bad writers can at least be taught to improve their writing enough so that they are no longer bad writers. However, no one can become a great writer simply by being taught how to be a better writer, since great writers must have not just skill, but also talent.


Which one of the following can be properly inferred from the passage above?

Points to note are :

1. Great writer must have : Skill + Talent
2. No one can become great writer only by getting taught.
3. Bad writers can at least be taught to improve their writing so that they are no longer bad writers. This is the limit for them.
4. This means "Some bad writers can never become great writers because,

Some bad writers who are improving can only reach the level where they are not considered bad writers.
Therefore, some bad writers who are even not improving can never be a great writer.



A). All bad writers can become better writers.
B). All great writers had to be taught to become better writers.
C). Some bad writer can never become great writers.
D). Some bad writers can become great writers.
E). Some great writers can be taught to be even better writers.
_________________
"Do not watch clock; Do what it does. KEEP GOING."
GMAT Club Bot
A few people who are bad writers simply cannot improve their   [#permalink] 19 Oct 2019, 05:18
Display posts from previous: Sort by

A few people who are bad writers simply cannot improve their

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne