Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:38 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 505-555 Levelx   Idioms/Diction/Redundancyx   Idioms/Diction/Redundancyx                           
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 362 [255]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GMAT Date: 08-29-2013
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [101]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3803 [48]
Given Kudos: 182
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [39]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Re: A recent court decision has qualified a 1998 ruling that workers canno [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
To clarify my earlier post, we want to use "would" if there's a clear condition that we're describing and that conditional is described hypothetical:

If X happened, Y would also happen.
If you helped me, I would be grateful.
I would go to the party if there were a good band playing.

If we make a simple if-then statement, we don't use "would". Notice that the main difference in the "if" part is that we don't use a past form of the verb.

If X happens, Y will also happen.
If you help me, I will be grateful.
I will go to the party if there is a good band playing

So we don't want to use "would" in B because we're not using a hypothetical. We didn't say "if they were given reasons."
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63668 [25]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: A recent court decision has qualified a 1998 ruling that workers canno [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
gmatwarriorju20 wrote:
Hey GMATNinja! could you please help me solve this question.

The pronoun "their" is the first thing that jumps out at me. But it correctly refers to "workers" in all five choices, so no luck using the pronoun as a decision point. In fact, I don't see any DEFINITE errors in any of the five choices, so let's start comparing our options:

Quote:
(A) A recent court decision has qualified a 1998 ruling that workers cannot be laid off if they have been given reason to believe that their jobs will be safe, provided that their performance remains satisfactory.

This looks logical to me. Employers are trying to lay off the workers now, but the workers have (already) been given assurance of their job security (at some time in the past).

Hang on to (A).

Quote:
(B) A recent court decision has qualified a 1998 ruling that workers cannot be laid off if they are given reason for believing that their jobs would still be safe, provided that their performance remains satisfactory.

The present tense ("are") is a problem here because it suggests that employers are giving the workers assurance of their job security AT THE SAME TIME that the employers are trying to lay off the workers! ("Hey, your job is safe... and you're fired!")

Also, the "would" makes it sound like we have a conditional--as if we are expecting ANOTHER "if" statement (i.e. "workers cannot be laid off IF they are given reason for believing that their jobs would STILL be safe IF ______"). The future tense "will" expresses the intended meaning more clearly -- at some time in the past, the workers were given reason to believe that their jobs will be safe in the future.

Eliminate (B).

Quote:
(C) A recent court decision has qualified a 1998 ruling that workers cannot be laid off having been given reason for believing that their jobs would be safe, provided that their performance remains satisfactory.

Here it sounds like the "having been given reason..." part is just some extra, unrelated information (workers cannot be laid off according to the 1998 ruling... oh and by they way, they have been given reason for believing that their jobs would be safe). The simple conditional structure in (A) makes it clearer that the reason the workers cannot be laid off is because they have been given assurance of their job security.

And again, "would" isn't ideal. Eliminate (C).

Quote:
(D) A recent court decision has qualified a 1998 ruling that workers cannot be laid off having been given reason to believe their jobs to be safe, provided that their performance remains satisfactory.

In (A) we have, "reason to believe that their jobs will be safe," but here we have "reason to believe their jobs to be safe":

• What do the workers believe in (A)? That their jobs will be safe -- this makes it perfectly clear that the assurance of job safety extends into the future.
  • What do the workers believe in (D)? Their jobs to be safe -- here we lose that future tense component.
  • So were the workers simply told that their jobs were safe at that moment? (Worker: "Hey, you told me my job was safe!" Employer: "Yes, it was safe back when I told you that... but I never said that it WILL be safe in the future... sorry!")

Also, once again, the simple conditional construction in (A) expresses the intended meaning more clearly than the "having been" construction that we have here. So we have a couple reasons to ditch (D) in favor of (A).

Quote:
(E) A recent court decision has qualified a 1998 ruling that workers cannot be laid off given reason to believe that their jobs will still be safe, provided that their performance remains satisfactory.

At best, the function of the "given..." part is unclear:

• It makes it sound like the workers cannot be laid off BECAUSE of their reason to believe that their jobs will be safe.
  • But that's not right -- it's the 1998 ruling that prohibits workers from being laid off IF they've been giving such assurance.
  • Again, the straightforward conditional structure in (A) makes the logical meaning more clear.

Lastly, the "still" makes it sound like something is missing (i.e. "... their jobs will still be safe IF/WHEN _____"), giving us one final vote against (E).

That leaves (A) as the best option!
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [3]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
anshul1208 wrote:
A recent court decision has qualified a 1998 ruling that workers cannot be laid off if they have been given reason to believe that their jobs will be safe, provided that their performance remains satisfactory.

(A) if they have been given reason to believe that their jobs will

(B) if they are given reason for believing that their jobs would still

(C) having been given reason for believing that their jobs would

(D) having been given reason to believe their jobs to

(E) given reason to believe that their jobs will still

Meaning is crucial to solving this problem:
Understanding the intended meaning is key to solving this question; the intended meaning of the crucial part of this sentence is that workers cannot be laid off in the event that they have been given reason to believe that their jobs will be safe.

Concepts tested here: Meaning + Tenses + Verb Forms

• The present perfect tense (marked by the use of the helping verb “has/have”) is used to describe events that concluded in the past but continue to affect the present.
• The simple present tense is used to indicate actions taking place in the current time frame, indicate habitual actions, state universal truths, and convey information that is permanent in nature.
• The simple future tense is used to refer to actions that will take place in the future.
• For referring to the purpose/intent of an action, the infinitive verb form ("to + base form of verb" - "to + believe" in this sentence) is preferred over the present participle ("verb+ing" - "believing" in this sentence).
• “will” is preferred for referring to events that are certain to happen, and “would” is preferred for referring to events that are hypothetical, meaning the use of “would” alongside verbs that express uncertainty (predict, assume, guess, etc.) is redundant.

A: Correct. This answer choice uses the phrase "if they have been given reason", conveying the intended meaning - that workers cannot be laid off in the event that they have been given reason to believe that their jobs will be safe. Further, Option A correctly uses the present participle verb "have been given" to refer to an action that concluded in the past but continues to affect the present. Additionally, Option A correctly uses the simple future tense verb "will be" to refer to an action that will take place in the future. Option A also uses the infinitive verb form ("to + base form of verb" - "to + believe" in this sentence) to refer to the intent behind the action "have been given reason". Besides, Option A avoids the redundancy seen in Options B and C, as it uses the verb "will".

B: This answer choice incorrectly uses the simple present tense verb "are given" to refer to an action that concluded in the past but continues to affect the present; remember, the present perfect tense (marked by the use of the helping verb “has/have”) is used to describe events that concluded in the past but continue to affect the present and the simple present tense is used to indicate actions taking place in the current time frame, indicate habitual actions, state universal truths, and convey information that is permanent in nature. Further, Option B uses the present participle ("verb+ing" - "believing" in this sentence) to refer to the intent behind the action "are given reason"; remember, for referring to the purpose/intent of an action, the infinitive verb form ("to + base form of verb") is preferred over the present participle ("verb+ing" - "believing" in this sentence). Additionally, Option B redundantly uses the helping verb "would" alongside the verb "believe"; remember, “will” is preferred for referring to events that are certain to happen, and “would” is preferred for referring to events that are hypothetical, meaning the use of “would” alongside verbs that express uncertainty (predict, assume, guess, etc.) is redundant.

C: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "having been given reason"; the construction of this phrase incorrectly implies that workers cannot be laid off, and as a separate action they have already been given reason to believe that their jobs will be safe; the intended meaning is that workers cannot be laid off in the event that they have been given reason to believe that their jobs will be safe. Further, Option C uses the present participle ("verb+ing" - "believing" in this sentence) to refer to the intent behind the action "are given reason"; remember, for referring to the purpose/intent of an action, the infinitive verb form ("to + base form of verb") is preferred over the present participle ("verb+ing" - "believing" in this sentence). Additionally, Option C redundantly uses the helping verb "would" alongside "believing"; remember, “will” is preferred for referring to events that are certain to happen, and “would” is preferred for referring to events that are hypothetical, meaning the use of “would” alongside verbs that express uncertainty (predict, assume, guess, etc.) is redundant.

D: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "having been given reason"; the construction of this phrase incorrectly implies that workers cannot be laid off, and as a separate action they have already been given reason to believe that their jobs will be safe; the intended meaning is that workers cannot be laid off in the event that they have been given reason to believe that their jobs will be safe. Further, Option D incorrectly uses the infinitive verb form ("to + base form of verb" - "to + be" in this sentence) to refer to an action that will take place in the future; remember, the simple future tense is used to refer to actions that will take place in the future.

E: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "given reason to believe"; the construction of this phrase leads to an incoherent meaning; the intended meaning is that workers cannot be laid off in the event that they have been given reason to believe that their jobs will be safe.

Hence, A is the best answer choice.

To understand the concept of "Simple Tenses" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~2 minutes):

To understand the concept of "Present Perfect Tense" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~1 minute):

To understand the concept of "Infinitive" vs "Present Participle" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~1 minute):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2755 [6]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
HKD1710 wrote:
Choice "A" is correct because:
If "if clause" uses present perfect tense then "main clause" (what comes after "then") should use "will/shall".

Choice "B" is wrong because:
If "if clause" uses present tense then "main clause" (what comes after "then") should use :
a) present tense verb (in case of certainty)
b) "will" (in case of prediction)

"would" is completely wrong in choice "B".

+1 for Kudos :)

Your reasoning is correct regarding the choice B. Thanks for reminding me this rule.
But regarding A, can u find the reference info regarding usage of present perfect tense in if clause.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3803 [4]
Given Kudos: 182
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
Send PM
Kudos
Mechmeera wrote:
HKD1710 wrote:
Choice "A" is correct because:
If "if clause" uses present perfect tense then "main clause" (what comes after "then") should use "will/shall".

Choice "B" is wrong because:
If "if clause" uses present tense then "main clause" (what comes after "then") should use :
a) present tense verb (in case of certainty)
b) "will" (in case of prediction)

"would" is completely wrong in choice "B".

+1 for Kudos :)

Your reasoning is correct regarding the choice B. Thanks for reminding me this rule.
But regarding A, can u find the reference info regarding usage of present perfect tense in if clause.

I read it in some grammar book and made a note of it. here is a little elaboration of the rule:
The Rule mentioned for choice "A" is valid for present/present continuous/present perfect tense i.e. when if clause uses any of these tenses then main clause should use "will/shall". This rule is applicable when prediction is made.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [2]
Given Kudos: 145
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Bookmarks
If I understand the structure well, this is the construction of if-else

workers cannot be laid off if they are given reason for believing that their jobs would still be safe
or
if they are given reason for believing that their jobs would still be safe, workers cannot be laid off

1. Three usage of If-else

Present simple, present/future simple-- If I go there, she will come.

past simple, would-- If she played, the team would win.

past perfect, would have--- if I had played, the team would have won the match

Can uasge in if-else construction: Is it correct to use "can" in else construction?

If I play, you can win the match. Is it incorrect?

2. A sentence from DmitryFarber's post

If I thought that you would believe me, I'd tell you the whole story.

If above sentence is correct, why the below one can not be correct?

if they are given reason for believing that their jobs would still be safe, workers cannot be laid off.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [5]
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
AR15J wrote:

workers cannot be laid off if they are given reason for believing that their jobs would still be safe
or
if they are given reason for believing that their jobs would still be safe, workers cannot be laid off

Can uasge in if-else construction: Is it correct to use "can" in else construction?

if they are given reason for believing that their jobs would still be safe, workers cannot be laid off.

Your point 1:
Yes, correct.

Your point 2:

The two sentences you mentioned do not have the same construction. To match with the first sentence, your sentence should have been:

If they are were given reason for believing to believe that their jobs would still be safe, workers can COULD not be laid off.

Compare with the first sentence you gave as example:
If I though that you would believe me, I'd (I would) tell you the whole story.

The matching verbs are marked in same colour. Blue ones are in hypothetical subjunctive mood ( simple past), pink ones are future from perspective of past, and the green ones are conditional ( past forms of future).

One standard IF-THEN structure (unlikely future event) is: IF hypothetical subjunctive ( blue font), THEN conditional ( green font).

Moreover "reason for believing" is idiomatically wrong - the correct usage is " reason to believe".
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [0]
Given Kudos: 145
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
sayantanc2k wrote:
AR15J wrote:

or

Your point 1:
Yes, correct.

Your point 2:

The two sentences you mentioned do not have the same construction. To match with the first sentence, your sentence should have been:

If they are were given reason for believing to believe that their jobs would still be safe, workers can COULD not be laid off.

Compare with the first sentence you gave as example:
If I though that you would believe me, I'd (I would) tell you the whole story.

The matching verbs are marked in same colour. Blue ones are in hypothetical subjunctive mood ( simple past), pink ones are future from perspective of past, and the green ones are conditional ( past forms of future).

One standard IF-THEN structure (unlikely future event) is: IF hypothetical subjunctive ( blue font), THEN conditional ( green font).

Moreover "reason for believing" is idiomatically wrong - the correct usage is " reason to believe".

Thanks sayantanc2k. Your detailed explanation always helps.

1. I know only three construction of if-else, the one I mentioned in the first point.

The below construction is correct?

if present perfect, then can/may /future simple

Ex- If she has gone through the documentation, she can start analyzing the new case.

1.Present simple, present/future simple-- If I go there, she will come.

2. past simple, would-- If she played, the team would win.

3. past perfect, would have--- if I had played, the team would have won the match

Which of the below constructions is correct?

If I had 10 papers, I would complete the homework

If I had 10 papers, I would have completed the homework.

I am confused that the usage of had(not as past perfect )will be considered in second or third type of if-else usage
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [4]
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos