GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 24 Sep 2018, 12:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

A recent national study of the public schools shows that there are now

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
A recent national study of the public schools shows that there are now  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2004, 13:20
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

79% (01:07) correct 21% (01:22) wrong based on 1102 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A recent national study of the public schools shows that there are now one microcomputer for every thirty-two pupils, four times as many than there were four years ago.

(A) there are now one microcomputer for every thirty-two pupils, four times as many than there were

(B) there is now one microcomputer for every thirty-two pupils, four times as many than there were

(C) there is now one microcomputer for every thirty-two pupils, four times as many as there were

(D) every thirty-two pupils now have one microcomputer, four times as many than there were

(E) every thirty-two pupils now has one microcomputer, four times as many as

This question is from OG. The correct answer has ruffled a bit of my grammar sense. :roll:
Most Helpful Community Reply
Manager
Manager
Re: A recent national study of the public schools shows that there are now  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2004, 13:52
crackgmat750 wrote:
A recent national study of the public schools shows that there are now one microcomputer for every thirty-two pupils, four times as many than there were four years ago.

A.there are now one microcomputer for every thirty-two pupils, four times as many than there were
B.there is now one microcomputer for every thirty-two pupils, four times as many than there were
C.there is now one microcomputer for every thirty-two pupils, four times as many as there were
D.every thirty-two pupils now have one microcomputer, four times as many than there were
E.every thirty-two pupils now has one microcomputer, four times as many as

This question is from OG. The correct answer has ruffled a bit of my grammar sense. :roll:

starting point: as many as the correct usage.

A.there are now one microcomputer for every thirty-two pupils, four times as many than there were

as many than...Wrong :no

B.there is now one microcomputer for every thirty-two pupils, four times as many than there were

as many than ...Wrong :no

C.there is now one microcomputer for every thirty-two pupils, four times as many as there were

as many as ...Correct :banana

D.every thirty-two pupils now have one microcomputer, four times as many than there were

as many than ...Wrong :no

When you placed this one into the sentence, here what it looks like:
A recent national study of the public schools shows that .every thirty-two pupils now has one microcomputer, four times as many as four years ago.

four times as many as four years ago...:no wrong..

So C is the answer..
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Re: A recent national study of the public schools shows that there are now  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2004, 14:04
crackgmat750 wrote:

"one microcomputer" is singular, so "there is" is justified.
A is out. ( it uses "there are" )

"as many as" is the correct idiom and not "as many than"
B is out.

D and E change the meaning. It seems as if 32 pupils are sharing a computer each. The grammar is wrong too.

C is the best answer.

ash

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2004, 19:34
Yes OA is C. Obviously all other choices are incorrect. There are no close calls..but my concern is that in C, doesnt "four times as many as" immediately after comma seem to modify pupils rather than microrcomputer as desired by the meaning of sentence? What am I missing? What grammatical subtlelety is here.. can anybody elaborate with more examples? I know paul is on a vacation..
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2004, 23:57
crackgmat750 wrote:
Yes OA is C. Obviously all other choices are incorrect. There are no close calls..but my concern is that in C, doesnt "four times as many as" immediately after comma seem to modify pupils rather than microrcomputer as desired by the meaning of sentence? What am I missing? What grammatical subtlelety is here.. can anybody elaborate with more examples? I know paul is on a vacation..

This is something that I got from the Princeton Review Verbal Workout (downloaded from http://64168.com/bbs)

The misplaced modifier rule applies to phrases, but not to clauses.

Fo the benefit of others (and to save my own time), I'm copy-pasting the OCRs version of the relevant text from the Workbook here

Most misplaced modifiers come down to making sure that the opening phrase, followed by a comma, modifies the subject of the sentence. There is a possible solution to other problems, however, that don't occur very often on the GMAT. As the Grammar Glossary will tell you, there is a fundamental difference between a phrase and a clause: A clause contains a subject and a verb, and a phrase lacks either a subject or a verb.

Clause: Although he looked for his glasses for hours,
Phrase: Having looked for his glasses for houfs,

See the difference? If you take away Although from the clause, you have a complete sentence: He lookedfor his glassesfor hours. The phrase, however, has no chance to stand by itself as a complete sentence. The misplaced modifier rule applies to phrases, but not to clauses. Therefore:

You can change a misplaced modifier into a legal sentence by changing a phrase into a clause.

Here's an example:

Wrong: While leaving the bank, Evelyn's purse was stolen.
Right: As she was leaving the bank, Evelyn's purse was stolen.

The opening phrase is now a clause (with the subject she and the verb was), so it's okay.

HTH

--

./abisurd
Not absurd :)

SVP
SVP
Re: A recent national study of the public schools shows that  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2007, 18:26
A.Haung wrote:
22. A recent national study of the public schools shows that there are now one microcomputer for every thirty-two pupils, four times as many than there were four years ago.
(A) there are now one microcomputer for every thirty-two pupils, four times as many than there were
(B) there is now one microcomputer for every thirty-two pupils, four times as many than there were
(C) there is now one microcomputer for every thirty-two pupils, four times as many as there were
(D) every thirty-two pupils now have one microcomputer, four times as many than there were

1st split: as X as. only C and E left. everything else does not complete the idiom with the scond as.

Btwn C and E. I go for C, b/c four times as many as seems to illogically refer to one computer in E. C makes it clearer I think. I dunno if this is the correct reasoning though.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2010, 08:25
C.

are is wrong - cannot use plural for every + as many than is wrong too
as many than is wrong
correct usage of every with is and correct idiom as many as
every with have + as many than
awkward - every thirty - two pupils? this should have been every on of the thirty two pupils now has
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2010, 11:38
A) there are now one microcomputer for every thirty-two pupils, four times as many than there were --- wrong usuage of 'are'. "as many than" wrong.
(B) there is now one microcomputer for every thirty-two pupils, four times as many than there were ---"as many than" wrong.
(C) there is now one microcomputer for every thirty-two pupils, four times as many as there were --correct
(D) every thirty-two pupils now have one microcomputer, four times as many than there were ---"as many than" wrong.
(E) every thirty-two pupils now has one microcomputer, four times as many as --- changes the meaning on the sentences
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2010, 08:57
(C)

Raptor

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT Date: 10-01-2011
WE: Web Development (Consulting)
Re: Subject - Verb Agreemnet  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2011, 12:20
"Is" definitely modifies "one computer". But I think sentence is bit ambiguous: "what does four times as many as.." modify? Is it referring to the improvement of the situation in which more computers are shared among fewer people, or worsening the situation in which people are four times to share one computer, implying less computers among more people. In any case, "were" sounds better in the sentence in comparison to the closest alternative "was". Could this be because it is an hypothetical situation?

If I look absent-minded or insane, I am just living a dream of being successful. If you still wonder why I am like this, you have no idea how success tastes like!

SVP
SVP
S

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2011, 15:16
sgupta0827 wrote:
"Is" definitely modifies "one computer". But I think sentence is bit ambiguous: "what does four times as many as.." modify? Is it referring to the improvement of the situation in which more computers are shared among fewer people, or worsening the situation in which people are four times to share one computer, implying less computers among more people. In any case, "were" sounds better in the sentence in comparison to the closest alternative "was". Could this be because it is an hypothetical situation?

Yes, one microcomputer "is"...

The way to read the "four times as many as there were" part is to read the first part as:

"one micro computer for every 32 pupils"

translate to: 1 out of 32

"four times as many as there were"

translate to: 1/32 = 4 times (some number)

In other words, the sentence is implying the ratio was 1 / (32*4) = 1 / (128) four years ago.

No need to do the math, of course--but that's basically what the sentence is implying.
Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2011, 06:15
The flipped sentence will read as ‘one micro computer is there for every thirty-two pupils’ – so ‘one’ is the subject and the verb should be ‘is

Step 2. –‘as many as’ is the right idiom - . - C is the right answer

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 540 Q39 V26
GMAT 2: 680 Q46 V37
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2015, 04:40
1. "There is now one " is the correct usage.
2. "As many as" is preferred to "as many than". Eliminate A,B,D

Hence C

A) there are now one microcomputer for every thirty-two pupils, four times as many than there were
(D) every thirty-two pupils now have one microcomputer, four timesas many than there were

Fais de ta vie un rêve et d'un rêve une réalité

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2015, 09:02
A) there are now one microcomputer for every thirty-two pupils, four times as many than there were
(E) every thirty-two pupils now has one microcomputer, four times as many as-- pupils --> has is wrong
Retired Moderator
P
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
A recent national study of the public schools shows that  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2017, 02:31

Correct IDIOM is "as many as" - Hence, A and B are out as they use "as many than" which is incorrect

D and E - Change the meaning - "number of microcomputers per pupil has become four times, not the number of pupils"

Hence - Answer is C

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not: nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."

Best AWA Template: https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html#p470475

Current Student
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2018, 07:29
kunalkhanna wrote:
what is the referent of 'there were' from option 'c"

the whole phrase of one computer per 32 pupils.

Also there is NOT a pronoun so it does not need an antecedent.

For example,

There are many more houses in Bombay than there were in 1645. Totally fine.

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

VP
VP
V
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GMAT 1: 480 Q38 V22
GPA: 3.01
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2018, 11:24
A.Haung wrote:
22. A recent national study of the public schools shows that there are now one microcomputer for every thirty-two pupils, four times as many than there were four years ago.

"As many as" is correct : A, B, D are out.

Between C and E : C is more nearer to the original sense of the question.

C

"Do not watch clock; Do what it does. KEEP GOING."

Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2018, 20:40
Hi Experts,

Why option E is wrong and C is correct and why were is correct instead of was.
Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2018, 08:37
Top Contributor
Quote:

E) every thirty-two pupils now has one microcomputer, four times as many as

E is wrong because 1. It compares years to computers and 2 because two pupils is plural and 'has' is a wrong verb
C is correct because it uses the correct verb 'is' for the singular 'one computer' and the plural 'were' for the plural 'as many as'

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2018, 08:56
daagh wrote:
Quote:

E) every thirty-two pupils now has one microcomputer, four times as many as

E is wrong because 1. It compares years to computers and 2 because two pupils is plural and 'has' is a wrong verb
C is correct because it uses the correct verb 'is' for the singular 'one computer' and the plural 'were' for the plural 'as many as'

Hi Narendran,

Thank you very much for replying to my post, however, I am still in a situation of doubt. Please help me clarifying these
1. I am not able to get the comparison of years to computers. Please tell me this concept, if any thread or question type is this please share it with me. I will practice more questions on this.
2. Two people is plural--> firstly it has every at the start if the sentence and secondly it has every 2 pupils that make it a collective thing so cant it be taken as singular ?
GMAT Club Bot
Re: A recent national study of the public schools shows that &nbs [#permalink] 13 Jul 2018, 08:56

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 23 posts ] 

A recent national study of the public schools shows that there are now

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap