Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 13:01 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: Sub 505 Levelx   Clausesx                     
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 465 [83]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2984 [46]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30775 [39]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [28]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.99
Send PM
Re: A recording system was so secretly installed and operated in the Kenne [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
akhil911 wrote:
Hi,
Can anyone explain why e is incorrect.
I understand that it is in the form of an inverted expression but that too can be acceptable.
I am not able to get a convincing answer even after searching a lot on google as to why E is incorrect.

I realize that you posted this back in 2013, but I wanted to fully answer this question not for you but for other students who may be wondering the same thing.

Yes, it is possible to invert the normal sentence order in English, but there are specific rules about how this is accomplished. Let's examine a simple sentence:

I have never been so insulted in my life.

The key to the inversion is the adverb, which I have placed in bold for clarity. The adverb must be moved to the front of the sentence, and the subject and auxiliary verb must be inverted.

Never have I been so insulted in my life.

Here are some additional examples.

Standard: I am rarely late for class.
Inverted: Rarely am I late for class.

Standard: I had scarcely sat down when the phone rang.
Inverted: Scarcely had I sat down when the phone rang.

The adverb can be replaced with an adverbial phrase as in the examples below:

Standard: You should on no account sign this contract without a lawyer.
Inverted: On no account should you sign this contract without a lawyer.

Standard: John is so tall that he can touch the ceiling.
Inverted: So tall is John that he can touch the ceiling.

Accordingly the standard and inverted form of the referenced sentence is:

A recording system was so secretly installed and operated in the Kennedy White House that even Theodore C. Sorensen, the White House counsel, did not know it existed.

So secretly installed and operated was a recording system in the Kennedy White House that even Theodore C. Sorensen, the White House counsel, did not know it existed.

Therefore, Choice E, which does not start with the adverb so, cannot be the best answer. It is true that the subject and verb have been inverted, but this has been inexpertly done, and the correct meaning and form have been lost.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [4]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: A recording system was so secretly installed and operated in the Kenne [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
IrinaOK wrote:
A recording system was so secretly installed and operated in the Kennedy Oval Office that even Theodore C. Sorensen, the White House counsel, did not know it existed.

(A) A recording system was so secretly installed and operated in the Kennedy Oval Office that

(B) So secret was a recording system installation and operation in the Kennedy Oval Office

(C) It was so secret that a recording system was installed and operated in the Kennedy Oval Office

(D) A recording system that was so secretly installed and operated in the Kennedy Oval Office

(E) Installed and operated so secretly in the Kennedy Oval Office was a recording system that

Concepts tested here: Parallelism + Idioms + Grammatical Construction + Redundancy/Awkwardness

• “so A that B” is a correct, idiomatic usage that describes cause (A) and effect (B); furthermore, A and B must be parallel is such usage.

A: Correct. This answer choice correctly uses the idiomatic construction “so A that B” to describe the cause and effect relationship between the secrecy involved in the installation and operation of a recording system in the Kennedy Oval Office and the fact that even Theodore C. Sorensen did not know it existed. Further, Option A acts upon the independent subject "A recording system" with the active verb phrase "was...installed and operated" to form a complete thought, leading to a complete sentence. Additionally, Option A concisely is free of any awkwardness or redundancy.

B: This answer choice omits the word “that”, failing to maintain the idiomatic construction “so A that B” to describe the cause and effect relationship between the secrecy involved in the installation and operation of a recording system in the Kennedy Oval Office and the fact that even Theodore C. Sorensen did not know it existed; please remember “so A that B” is a correct, idiomatic usage that describes cause and effect, and A and B must be parallel.

C: This answer choice fails to maintain parallelism between A (“secret”) and B (“a recording system was installed and operated in the Kennedy Oval Office”), in the idiom “so A that B”; please remember “so A that B” is a correct, idiomatic usage that describes cause and effect, and A and B must be parallel.

D: This answer choice omits the word “that”, failing to maintain the idiomatic construction “so A that B” to describe the cause and effect relationship between the secrecy involved in the installation and operation of a recording system in the Kennedy Oval Office and the fact that even Theodore C. Sorensen did not know it existed; please remember “so A that B” is a correct, idiomatic usage that describes cause and effect, where A and B must be parallel. Further, Option D modifies “A recording system” using the past participle modifier phrase “that was so secretly installed and operated”; this modification leads to an incomplete sentence, as the subject “A recording system" has no active verb to act upon it; in other words, the awkward placement of “that” alongside “A recording system” rather than after “Theodore C. Sorensen” renders the sentence incomplete.

E: This answer choice utilizes the passive voice construction “Installed and operated so secretly in the Kennedy Oval Office was…”, rendering it needlessly indirect and awkward.

Hence, A is the best answer choice.

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3223 [2]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Kudos
The idiom is so X that Y.

only A fits the bill.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1711 [2]
Given Kudos: 886
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT Date: 10-16-2013
GPA: 3
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Hi,
I understand that it is in the form of an inverted expression but that too can be acceptable.
I am not able to get a convincing answer even after searching a lot on google as to why E is incorrect.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3155 [0]
Given Kudos: 322
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
The OE in question pack says that

In Option(C) pronoun reference is ambiguous.

However, I do not see any pronoun ambiguity in that option as the case with option(A).

Can anyone highlight the pronoun ambiguity in option (C).
Director
Director
Status:Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
Own Kudos [?]: 4594 [3]
Given Kudos: 235
GPA: 3.51
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
(C) It was so secret that a recording system was installed and operated in the Kennedy Oval Office

In option C, reference of pronoun it is not clear.
It is not a place holder. it is interrupted by idiom so... that therefore that clause can not replace it.

If I say it= Plan
Plan was so secret that a recording system was installed and operated in the Kennedy Oval Office (Plan make sense)

But we can not infer exactly what should be the antecedent of It.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [3]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
akhil911 wrote:
Hi,

If you are not sure about an inverted sentence, just flip it.

E:
Installed and operated so secretly in the Kennedy Oval Office was a recording system that even Theodore C. Sorensen, the White House counsel, did not know it existed.

Flip it:
A recording system that even Theodore C. Sorensen, the White House counsel, did not know it existed was installed and operated so secretly in the Kennedy Oval Office.

The flipped version definetely changes the intended meaning.

The original sentence use "so ... that ...." idiom, putting emphasis on "intstalled and operated secretly" and surprizing us with "even Theodore C. Sorensen, the White House counsel, did not know it existed"

The flipped version uses "even Theodore C. Sorensen, the White House counsel, did not know it existed" just to modify "a recording system"

That is why E is wrong.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 20705 [0]
Given Kudos: 926
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40 (Online)
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
IrinaOK wrote:
A recording system was so secretly installed and operated in the Kennedy Oval Office that even Theodore C. Sorensen, the White House counsel, did not know it existed.

(A) A recording system was so secretly installed and operated in the Kennedy Oval Office that
(B) So secret was a recording system installation and operation in the Kennedy Oval Office
(D) A recording system that was so secretly installed and operated in the Kennedy Oval Office
(E) Installed and operated so secretly in the Kennedy Oval Office was a recording system that

Attachments

Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg [ 71.9 KiB | Viewed 43200 times ]

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 130 [1]
Given Kudos: 101
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GPA: 3.5
Send PM