It is currently 11 Dec 2017, 23:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A review of literature dating from before the 18th century

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 35 [1], given: 15

A review of literature dating from before the 18th century [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2011, 05:14
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

56% (01:29) correct 44% (01:37) wrong based on 404 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A review of literature dating from before the 18th century indicated that references to trout tickling were common despite other methods of hunting trout, which were less accessible to the audience that was not familiar with modern fishing techniques.

A. that references to trout tickling were common despite other methods of hunting trout, which were less accessible to the audience that was not familiar
B. that references to trout tickling were common because other methods of hunting trout were less accessible to the audience, which was not familiar
C. that references to trout tickling were common because of other methods, which were less accessible to the trout-hunting audience that was not familiar
D. references to trout tickling were common despite other methods that were used to trout, which were less accessible to an audience unfamiliar
E. references to trout tickling were common because other methods of hunting trout were, to the audience, less accessible than those who were not familiar
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by gurpreetsingh on 22 May 2011, 09:47, edited 1 time in total.
Underlined !!

Kudos [?]: 35 [1], given: 15

Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 8316 [0], given: 366

WE: Education (Education)
Re: s.c. from 800 .com [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2011, 09:45
In such reported texts, the connector ‘that’ is necessary. Drop D and E.

A. that references to trout tickling were common despite other methods of ‘hunting trout, which were less accessible’ to the audience that was not familiar --- which – wrong modification

B. that references to trout tickling were common because other methods of hunting trout were less accessible to the audience, which was not familiar ---right choice

C. that references to trout tickling were common because of other methods, which were less accessible to ‘the trout-hunting’ audience that was not familiar ---The trout- hunting, though an awkward gerund, is till ok, but it should be hinged to the methods of hunting trout rather than the audience. To sweep in one shot those other methods rather than other methods of hunting trout, digresses from the main theme of the topic.

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Kudos [?]: 8316 [0], given: 366

1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO

Kudos [?]: 1923 [1], given: 235

Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2011, 09:58
This post received
KUDOS
daagh wrote:
In such reported texts, the connector ‘that’ is necessary. Drop D and E.

A. that references to trout tickling were common despite other methods of ‘hunting trout, which were less accessible’ to the audience that was not familiar --- which – wrong modification

B. that references to trout tickling were common because other methods of hunting trout were less accessible to the audience, which was not familiar ---right choice

C. that references to trout tickling were common because of other methods, which were less accessible to ‘the trout-hunting’ audience that was not familiar ---The trout- hunting, though an awkward gerund, is till ok, but it should be hinged to the methods of hunting trout rather than the audience. To sweep in one shot those other methods rather than other methods of hunting trout, digresses from the main theme of the topic.

which is not modifying 'hunting trout' , but 'methods of hunting trout'. In case of noun phrase the part of sentence after the preposition can be allowed.

The reason why B is better than A is the meaning. Despite used here distorts the meaning , thus the sentence A does not make any sense.

A=> A review of literature indicated that reference to TT were common despite other methods of hunting trout,which were less accessible to the audience that was not familiar..... > no sense

B=> A review of literature indicated that references to TT were common because other methods of hunting trout were less accessible to the audience, which was not familiar => better

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Gmat test review :
http://gmatclub.com/forum/670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

Kudos [?]: 1923 [1], given: 235

Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL

Kudos [?]: 1138 [0], given: 109

Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2011, 11:58
+1 B

A is not clear about "despite other methods of hunting trout"; there is not clear where is the contradiction.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 1138 [0], given: 109

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.5
WE: Project Management (Health Care)

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2011, 12:30
rojans wrote:
A review of literature dating from before the 18th century indicated that references to trout tickling were common despite other methods of hunting trout, which were less accessible to the audience that was not familiar with modern fishing techniques.

A. that references to trout tickling were common despite other methods of hunting trout, which were less accessible to the audience that was not familiar
B. that references to trout tickling were common because other methods of hunting trout were less accessible to the audience, which was not familiar
C. that references to trout tickling were common because of other methods, which were less accessible to the trout-hunting audience that was not familiar
D. references to trout tickling were common despite other methods that were used to trout, which were less accessible to an audience unfamiliar
E. references to trout tickling were common because other methods of hunting trout were, to the audience, less accessible than those who were not familiar

'Which' is the correct modifier in both cases. In "A" it modifies a "prep. phrase + noun" and in the second just the "noun". If you ahve any questions - look uk 'Thursdays with Ron' and the section dedicated on "which".

The key here is sense. The first sentence focuses on contradiction (despite) and second on explanation (because). Only answer "B" makes sense.

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 5

Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V39

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2011, 04:46
Picked E. But correct answer is B!

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 5

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 275 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: A review of literature dating from before the 18th century [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2016, 02:42
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 275 [0], given: 0

CR Forum Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 216 [0], given: 197

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2017, 10:46
In B, it seems 'which' is modifying 'audience'.
Somewhere, I have come across that 'relative pronoun modifyer cannot jump over the preceding verb to modify the subject'. If so, 'which' cannot modify the subject 'methods of hunting trout'.

I may be wrong, if so, please correct me.

Posted from my mobile device

Hasan Mahmud

Kudos [?]: 216 [0], given: 197

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 62

A review of literature dating from before the 18th century [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2017, 11:29
The first word to watch out for is 'that' which acts as a connector.

Option D and E do not have that - eliminate

Option C
C. that references to trout tickling were common because of other methods, which were less accessible to the trout-hunting audience that was not familiar - references to trout tricking were common but NOT because of other methods -DISTORTED MEANING - Eliminate

This leaves us with A and B.

The clause modifying audience - not familiar with modern fishing techniques - is a non restrictive clause, and therefore should be preceded by a comma and which. This eliminates option A

We are left with B - the correct choice

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 62

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 36

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2017, 02:11
can someone explain that in option B how come "which" is modifying "audience" ?

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 36

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 7

Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V37
WE: Consulting (Insurance)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2017, 20:32
I was under the impression that we should use who/whom when we are referring to people. In A and B, does audience not refer to people? How is which a correct use here?

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 7

Manager
Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 144 [0], given: 72

Concentration: Marketing, Operations
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2017, 07:54
HI mikemcgarry

Can you please help me in solving this question. In the correct answer B which is modifying the noun Audience.

According to my knowledge ony who or whom can modify people right?
correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks

Kudos [?]: 144 [0], given: 72

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 8939 [0], given: 111

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2017, 18:18
gauravraos wrote:
HI mikemcgarry

Can you please help me in solving this question. In the correct answer B which is modifying the noun Audience.

According to my knowledge ony who or whom can modify people right?
correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks

Dear gauravraos,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

There are a couple issues here.

First, yes, we should refer to individual people with "which" or "that." All individual people merit the modifier "who."

By contrast, when we are talking about a group or a collection of people, the individual character fades, and we regularly use "which" or "that."
the audience, which . . .
the Church that . . .
the Republican party, which . . .
the football team that . . .

Thus, it's no problem.

The bigger issue, my friend, is that you have a very rule-based understanding of grammar. Your very question gives evidence that you have spend more time learning grammar rules than you have forcing yourself to do outside reading. No non-native speaker can get to GMAT SC mastery purely by learning rules. To get to mastery, you have to develop the habit of reading. See;
How to Improve Your GMAT Verbal Score

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Kudos [?]: 8939 [0], given: 111

Re: A review of literature dating from before the 18th century   [#permalink] 15 Aug 2017, 18:18

A review of literature dating from before the 18th century

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap