GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Jul 2018, 11:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

A review of literature dating from before the 18th century

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Jun 2010
Posts: 123
A review of literature dating from before the 18th century  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 22 May 2011, 09:47
1
4
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  75% (hard)

Question Stats:

56% (01:33) correct 44% (01:36) wrong based on 441 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A review of literature dating from before the 18th century indicated that references to trout tickling were common despite other methods of hunting trout, which were less accessible to the audience that was not familiar with modern fishing techniques.

A. that references to trout tickling were common despite other methods of hunting trout, which were less accessible to the audience that was not familiar
B. that references to trout tickling were common because other methods of hunting trout were less accessible to the audience, which was not familiar
C. that references to trout tickling were common because of other methods, which were less accessible to the trout-hunting audience that was not familiar
D. references to trout tickling were common despite other methods that were used to trout, which were less accessible to an audience unfamiliar
E. references to trout tickling were common because other methods of hunting trout were, to the audience, less accessible than those who were not familiar

Originally posted by rojans on 22 May 2011, 05:14.
Last edited by gurpreetsingh on 22 May 2011, 09:47, edited 1 time in total.
Underlined !!
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
User avatar
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 4464
Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Re: s.c. from 800 .com  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2011, 09:45
In such reported texts, the connector ‘that’ is necessary. Drop D and E.



A. that references to trout tickling were common despite other methods of ‘hunting trout, which were less accessible’ to the audience that was not familiar --- which – wrong modification

B. that references to trout tickling were common because other methods of hunting trout were less accessible to the audience, which was not familiar ---right choice


C. that references to trout tickling were common because of other methods, which were less accessible to ‘the trout-hunting’ audience that was not familiar ---The trout- hunting, though an awkward gerund, is till ok, but it should be hinged to the methods of hunting trout rather than the audience. To sweep in one shot those other methods rather than other methods of hunting trout, digresses from the main theme of the topic.
_________________

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Status: Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.
Joined: 12 Oct 2009
Posts: 2657
Location: Malaysia
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Reviews Badge
Re: s.c. from 800 .com  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2011, 09:58
1
daagh wrote:
In such reported texts, the connector ‘that’ is necessary. Drop D and E.



A. that references to trout tickling were common despite other methods of ‘hunting trout, which were less accessible’ to the audience that was not familiar --- which – wrong modification

B. that references to trout tickling were common because other methods of hunting trout were less accessible to the audience, which was not familiar ---right choice


C. that references to trout tickling were common because of other methods, which were less accessible to ‘the trout-hunting’ audience that was not familiar ---The trout- hunting, though an awkward gerund, is till ok, but it should be hinged to the methods of hunting trout rather than the audience. To sweep in one shot those other methods rather than other methods of hunting trout, digresses from the main theme of the topic.



which is not modifying 'hunting trout' , but 'methods of hunting trout'. In case of noun phrase the part of sentence after the preposition can be allowed.

The reason why B is better than A is the meaning. Despite used here distorts the meaning , thus the sentence A does not make any sense.

A=> A review of literature indicated that reference to TT were common despite other methods of hunting trout,which were less accessible to the audience that was not familiar..... > no sense

B=> A review of literature indicated that references to TT were common because other methods of hunting trout were less accessible to the audience, which was not familiar => better
_________________

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Gmat test review :
http://gmatclub.com/forum/670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

Retired Moderator
User avatar
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Joined: 04 Oct 2009
Posts: 1378
Location: Peru
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Re: s.c. from 800 .com  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2011, 11:58
+1 B

A is not clear about "despite other methods of hunting trout"; there is not clear where is the contradiction.
_________________

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Intern
Intern
avatar
Status: INSEAD - Class of July 2013
Joined: 24 Apr 2011
Posts: 5
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.5
WE: Project Management (Health Care)
Re: s.c. from 800 .com  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2011, 12:30
rojans wrote:
A review of literature dating from before the 18th century indicated that references to trout tickling were common despite other methods of hunting trout, which were less accessible to the audience that was not familiar with modern fishing techniques.

A. that references to trout tickling were common despite other methods of hunting trout, which were less accessible to the audience that was not familiar
B. that references to trout tickling were common because other methods of hunting trout were less accessible to the audience, which was not familiar
C. that references to trout tickling were common because of other methods, which were less accessible to the trout-hunting audience that was not familiar
D. references to trout tickling were common despite other methods that were used to trout, which were less accessible to an audience unfamiliar
E. references to trout tickling were common because other methods of hunting trout were, to the audience, less accessible than those who were not familiar


'Which' is the correct modifier in both cases. In "A" it modifies a "prep. phrase + noun" and in the second just the "noun". If you ahve any questions - look uk 'Thursdays with Ron' and the section dedicated on "which".

The key here is sense. The first sentence focuses on contradiction (despite) and second on explanation (because). Only answer "B" makes sense.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 14 Dec 2010
Posts: 172
Location: India
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V39
Re: s.c. from 800 .com  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2011, 04:46
Picked E. But correct answer is B!
Retired Moderator
User avatar
P
Status: The best is yet to come.....
Joined: 10 Mar 2013
Posts: 534
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A review of literature dating from before the 18th century  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2017, 10:46
In B, it seems 'which' is modifying 'audience'.
Somewhere, I have come across that 'relative pronoun modifyer cannot jump over the preceding verb to modify the subject'. If so, 'which' cannot modify the subject 'methods of hunting trout'.

I may be wrong, if so, please correct me.

Posted from my mobile device
_________________

Hasan Mahmud

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 30 Jun 2017
Posts: 24
A review of literature dating from before the 18th century  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2017, 11:29
The first word to watch out for is 'that' which acts as a connector.

Option D and E do not have that - eliminate

Option C
C. that references to trout tickling were common because of other methods, which were less accessible to the trout-hunting audience that was not familiar - references to trout tricking were common but NOT because of other methods -DISTORTED MEANING - Eliminate

This leaves us with A and B.

The clause modifying audience - not familiar with modern fishing techniques - is a non restrictive clause, and therefore should be preceded by a comma and which. This eliminates option A

We are left with B - the correct choice
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 14 Sep 2016
Posts: 149
Re: A review of literature dating from before the 18th century  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2017, 02:11
can someone explain that in option B how come "which" is modifying "audience" ?
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 29 Jul 2017
Posts: 12
Location: United States (NY)
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V37
WE: Consulting (Insurance)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A review of literature dating from before the 18th century  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2017, 20:32
I was under the impression that we should use who/whom when we are referring to people. In A and B, does audience not refer to people? How is which a correct use here?
Manager
Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 07 Aug 2016
Posts: 88
Location: India
Concentration: Marketing, Operations
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
Reviews Badge
Re: A review of literature dating from before the 18th century  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2017, 07:54
HI mikemcgarry

Can you please help me in solving this question. In the correct answer B which is modifying the noun Audience.

According to my knowledge ony who or whom can modify people right?
correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks
Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 4667
Re: A review of literature dating from before the 18th century  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2017, 18:18
gauravraos wrote:
HI mikemcgarry

Can you please help me in solving this question. In the correct answer B which is modifying the noun Audience.

According to my knowledge ony who or whom can modify people right?
correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks

Dear gauravraos,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

There are a couple issues here.

First, yes, we should refer to individual people with "which" or "that." All individual people merit the modifier "who."

By contrast, when we are talking about a group or a collection of people, the individual character fades, and we regularly use "which" or "that."
the audience, which . . .
the Church that . . .
the Republican party, which . . .
the football team that . . .

Thus, it's no problem.

The bigger issue, my friend, is that you have a very rule-based understanding of grammar. Your very question gives evidence that you have spend more time learning grammar rules than you have forcing yourself to do outside reading. No non-native speaker can get to GMAT SC mastery purely by learning rules. To get to mastery, you have to develop the habit of reading. See;
How to Improve Your GMAT Verbal Score

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
_________________

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Image

Image

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Re: A review of literature dating from before the 18th century &nbs [#permalink] 15 Aug 2017, 18:18
Display posts from previous: Sort by

A review of literature dating from before the 18th century

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.