GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Aug 2018, 09:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

A study has concluded that the attrition rate in the IT

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
A study has concluded that the attrition rate in the IT  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2010, 10:26
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

68% (01:21) correct 32% (01:29) wrong based on 453 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A study has concluded that the attrition rate in the IT sector, which had been in single digits until a couple of months ago, has been trending higher lately and is well into double digits, and posed great problems to IT biggies.

(A). A study has concluded that the attrition rate in the IT sector, which had been in single digits until a couple of months ago, has been trending higher lately and is well into double digits, and posed great problems to IT biggies

(B). A study has concluded that the attrition rate in the IT sector, a rate that was in single digits until a couple of months ago, has been trending higher lately and is well into double digits, posing great problems to IT biggies

(C). A study has concluded that the IT sector’s attrition rate, which was in single digits until a couple of months ago, had been trending higher lately and is well into double digits, and posed great problems to IT biggies

(D). A study has concluded that the attrition rate in the IT sector, that had been in single digits until a couple of months ago, was trending higher lately and is well into double digits, posing great problems to IT biggies

(E). A study has concluded that the attrition rate in the IT sector, which was in single digits until a couple of months ago, trended higher lately and is well into double digits, and posed great problems to IT biggies

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Manager
Manager
Re: SC tense usage  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2010, 10:39
daagh wrote:
A study has concluded that the attrition rate in the IT sector, which had been in single digits until a couple of months ago, has been trending higher lately and is well into double digits, and posed great problems to IT biggies.

(A). A study has concluded that the attrition rate in the IT sector, which had been in single digits until a couple of months ago, has been trending higher lately and is well into double digits, and posed great problems to IT biggies

(B). A study has concluded that the attrition rate in the IT sector, a rate that was in single digits until a couple of months ago, has been trending higher lately and is well into double digits, posing great problems to IT biggies

(C). A study has concluded that the IT sector’s attrition rate, which was in single digits until a couple of months ago, had been trending higher lately and is well into double digits, and posed great problems to IT biggies

(D). A study has concluded that the attrition rate in the IT sector, that had been in single digits until a couple of months ago, was trending higher lately and is well into double digits, posing great problems to IT biggies

(E). A study has concluded that the attrition rate in the IT sector, which was in single digits until a couple of months ago, trended higher lately and is well into double digits, and posed great problems to IT biggies

A, C and E are ruled out since WHICH is misplaced.
D is wrong because of parallelism.
am I right?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
WE 1: Engineering

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 27 Sep 2010, 15:02
imania, WHICH in C is not misplaced, it is referring to the attrition rate, but the choice has other error.

Implies that IT sector is in single digits ! (A). A study has concluded that the attrition rate in the IT sector, which had been in single digits until a couple of months ago, has been trending higher lately and is well into double digits, and posed great problems to IT biggies

Correct(B). A study has concluded that the attrition rate in the IT sector, a rate that was in single digits until a couple of months ago, has been trending higher lately and is well into double digits, posing great problems to IT biggies

WHICH is correctly used, however, there is tense error. It should have been HAS BEEN TRENDING (C). A study has concluded that the IT sector’s attrition rate, which was in single digits until a couple of months ago, had been trending higher lately and is well into double digits, and posed great problems to IT biggies

Tense error(D). A study has concluded that the attrition rate in the IT sector, that had been in single digits until a couple of months ago, was trending higher lately and is well into double digits, posing great problems to IT biggies

Implies that IT sector is in single digits ! (E). A study has concluded that the attrition rate in the IT sector, which was in single digits until a couple of months ago, trended higher lately and is well into double digits, and posed great problems to IT biggies

All things are possible to those who believe.

Originally posted by adishail on 27 Sep 2010, 11:00.
Last edited by adishail on 27 Sep 2010, 15:02, edited 2 times in total.
Retired Moderator

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2010, 11:23
imania wrote:
daagh wrote:

A, C and E are ruled out since WHICH is misplaced.
D is wrong because of parallelism.
am I right?

Yes! you are right. "Which" in A C and E introduces modifier error.
Also in D we don't need PAST PERFECT, wrong usage of tense.

http://drambedkarbooks.com/

Retired Moderator

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2010, 11:24
Oh I forgot to welcome daagh on gmatclub :)

Anyhow,welcome to gmatclub daagh! Keep on posting and sharing your experiences here on gmatclub.

http://drambedkarbooks.com/

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2010, 12:58
(A). A study has concluded that the attrition rate in the IT sector, which had been in single digits until a couple of months ago, has been trending higher lately and is well into double digits, and posed great problems to IT biggies - The subject is in singular, so the verb must follow the same. Here "which" points to "IT sector" hence incorrect.

(B). A study has concluded that the attrition rate in the IT sector, a rate that was in single digits until a couple of months ago, has been trending higher lately and is well into double digits, posing great problems to IT biggies -
by using "a rate" that after IT sector helps modify the correct noun. Hence B is correct.

(C). A study has concluded that the IT sector’s attrition rate, which was in single digits until a couple of months ago, had been trending higher lately and is well into double digits, and posed great problems to IT biggies - IT sector's attrition rate is incorrect

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2010, 13:00
adishail wrote:
imania, WHICH in C is not misplaced, it is referring to the attrition rate, but the choice has other error.

Implies that IT sector is in single digits ! (A). A study has concluded that the attrition rate in the IT sector, which had been in single digits until a couple of months ago, has been trending higher lately and is well into double digits, and posed great problems to IT biggies

WHICH is correctly used, however, there is tense error. Tt should have been HAS BEEN TRENDING (C). A study has concluded that the IT sector’s attrition rate, which was in single digits until a couple of months ago, had been trending higher lately and is well into double digits, and posed great problems to IT biggies

Tense error(D). A study has concluded that the attrition rate in the IT sector, that had been in single digits until a couple of months ago, was trending higher lately and is well into double digits, posing great problems to IT biggies

Implies that IT sector is in single digits ! (E). A study has concluded that the attrition rate in the IT sector, which was in single digits until a couple of months ago, trended higher lately and is well into double digits, and posed great problems to IT biggies

As far as I'm concerned which must touch the noun it's modifying, although there are some exceptions.
in A, which is modifying IT sector which in not intended :)
Am I right? though there might be other issues too.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
WE 1: Engineering

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2010, 13:22
Quote:
As far as I'm concerned which must touch the noun it's modifying, although there are some exceptions.
in A, which is modifying IT sector which in not intended :)
Am I right? though there might be other issues too.

Option (C) - WHICH touches the noun it is modifying.

The attrition rate was in single digits. WHICH correctly refers to the attrition rate.

All things are possible to those who believe.

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2010, 14:50
Good one imania.... I too think that for Option C which modifies correctly 'Attrition rate'. The problem is with the Tense 'Had' which should be 'Has'

Please give me kudos, if you like the above post.
Thanks.

Manager
Manager
Schools: Cornell

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2010, 16:13
For Option C - A study has concluded that the IT sector’s attrition rate, which was in single digits until a couple of months ago, had been trending higher lately and is well into double digits, and posed great problems to IT biggies

Is the issue with had been or with the usage of is? Would the sentence be correct if "is" was replaced by "was"?
Manager
Manager
Schools: Mccombs business school, Mays business school, Rotman Business School,
Re: A study has concluded that the attrition rate in the IT  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2012, 04:26
daagh wrote:

my take is B. A is just simply awkward. in my point of view C has 2 error- IT sector's attrition rate doesnt sound good and verb tense error, D has verb tense error and E is a run on sentence. correct me if i am wrong

some people are successful, because they have been fortunate enough and some people earn success, because they have been determined.....

please press kudos if you like my post.... i am begging for kudos...lol

Manager
Manager
Schools: Mccombs business school, Mays business school, Rotman Business School,

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2012, 04:26
daagh wrote:

my take is B. A is just simply awkward. in my point of view C has 2 error- IT sector's attrition rate doesnt sound good and verb tense error, D has verb tense error and E is a run on sentence. correct me if i am wrong

some people are successful, because they have been fortunate enough and some people earn success, because they have been determined.....

please press kudos if you like my post.... i am begging for kudos...lol

Board of Directors
P
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2017, 14:45
daagh wrote:

first, let's understand the meaning of the sentence:
A study concluded smth
it concluded that the attrition rate in the IT sector has been trending lately. moreover, it is into double digits.
this trend poses great problems to IT biggies.
the same rate was in single digits until couple of months ago.

relative pronoun which - i don't like such usage...although it might correctly modify the rate, the biggest issue here is : and posed - well..it still poses great problems-now-when it has been trending.
i believe an ing modifier is appropriate here.

this option is just perfect.
first thing, it removes the "which" pronoun, and thus the ambiguity of what exactly it modifies. moreover, we have an ing modifier, which presents the result.

i think "IT sector's attrition rate" is not the same as "attrition rate in IT sector".
second problem - had been trending lately - wrong tense.
and posed - same problem as in A.

i don't think we need a past perfect here.
was trending higher lately - present perfect is better.

repeating errors.

B seems to be the best option.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2017, 06:17
Hello experts,

Could you please explain why B is right and D is wrong.

i choose D as i believed that there is some sequencing. first the rate was in single digits(past perfect-had been in single digits until a couple of months ago) then it was tending ( 2nd event the later one in past) and the third is the preset tense(is well into double digits)

please feel free to let me know where i am wrong.
Retired Moderator
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
A study has concluded that the attrition rate in the IT  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2017, 02:36
Aketa wrote:
Hello experts,

Could you please explain why B is right and D is wrong.

i choose D as i believed that there is some sequencing. first the rate was in single digits(past perfect-had been in single digits until a couple of months ago) then it was tending ( 2nd event the later one in past) and the third is the preset tense(is well into double digits)

please feel free to let me know where i am wrong.

Notice the word "lately" - a past perfect generally does not go with this word, because this word implies that the event is still happening or recently happened but its effect is still there in the present. Generally, present perfect suits the words such as "lately", "recently" etc. the best.
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 460 Q42 V14
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2018, 00:10
Can anyone help me with this?\

Whats the difference between "A study has concluded " & " A study concluded " ?

"I’ve spent months preparing for the day I’d face you. I’ve come a long way, GMAT"- SonGoku

Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2018, 00:14
SonGoku wrote:
Can anyone help me with this?\

Whats the difference between "A study has concluded " & " A study concluded " ?

Hey SonGoku ,

I think you need to revise English Tenses once.

A study has concluded --> We are using Present Perfect Tense. It implies the study is still in progress and we are getting the conclusions from that study.

A study concluded --> We are using Simple Past Tense. It implies study happened in the past and it concluded something in the past.

Does that make sense?

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.

New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!

Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 460 Q42 V14
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2018, 00:33
abhimahna
Thank You so much for the reply, now I remember.

Yeah ,did a lot of study but always feeling that all went in vain, so i' m going with lot many questions as possible in a timed environments and with error logs. Now feeling better when compared with my past performance in SC.

"I’ve spent months preparing for the day I’d face you. I’ve come a long way, GMAT"- SonGoku

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
WE: Business Development (Other)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2018, 04:55
Here is my Analysis -

-- Sentence Structure: 2 months ago - Iteration rate was in 1 digits
: Now the rate has been higher (means continuity and still higher)
: higher rates posed problems for IT biggies -

-- [a1] "had been in single digit" is incorrect. We have specified time line here - "2 months ago". We need to use past tense.
-- [a2] may not be a major issue but "posed problems to IT biggies" looks like an effect rather than a parallel element.

-- Correct Choice , Rectifies Issue a1 and a2.

-- "had been trending higher" is incorrect. This is past perfect continuous , so rate was trending higher in past and now this trend is over.??? This is not the original meaning.

-- issue a1.

-- "trended higher" means there is not continuity. Now the rate is not getting higher. This is the not the meaning of the original sentence.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2018, 17:53
The sentence does not constitute reported speech?
Re: A study has concluded that the attrition rate in the IT &nbs [#permalink] 10 Jun 2018, 17:53

A study has concluded that the attrition rate in the IT

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap