GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 31 May 2020, 00:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

A vessel ( capacity 10 ltrs) is filled entirely with petrol

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 11 Mar 2018
Posts: 4
A vessel ( capacity 10 ltrs) is filled entirely with petrol  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2019, 03:18
3
7
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  65% (hard)

Question Stats:

63% (02:35) correct 37% (02:38) wrong based on 75 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A vessel ( capacity 10 ltrs) is filled entirely with petrol and kerosene in the ratio 3:2. Two ltrs of this solution is removed and replaced with 2 ltrs of kerosene. This procedure is repeated thrice. Find the % of petrol in the resulting solution.

A) 20%
B) 30.72%
C) 40.23%
D) 52.15%
E) 63.2%

(B)

nick1816
Rahulihavenoclue
Most Helpful Community Reply
DS Forum Moderator
User avatar
V
Joined: 19 Oct 2018
Posts: 1853
Location: India
Premium Member
Re: A vessel ( capacity 10 ltrs) is filled entirely with petrol  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2019, 03:38
5
3
Initial volume of the petrol in vessel=(3/5)*10=6
Let volume of the petrol in vessel after 3 replacements=V

\(V=6(1-\frac{2}{10})^3\)
\(V=6*(\frac{4}{5})^3\)
V= 3.072L

% of petrol in the resulting solution= \(\frac{3.072}{10}*100=30.72\)%

shivansh9307 wrote:
A vessel ( capacity 10 ltrs) is filled entirely with petrol and kerosene in the ratio 3:2. Two ltrs of this solution is removed and replaced with 2 ltrs of kerosene. This procedure is repeated thrice. Find the % of petrol in the resulting solution.

A) 20%
B) 30.72%
C) 40.23%
D) 52.15%
E) 63.2%

(B)

nick1816
Rahulihavenoclue
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
P
Joined: 09 Jan 2017
Posts: 314
Location: India
Reviews Badge
Re: A vessel ( capacity 10 ltrs) is filled entirely with petrol  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2019, 07:32
1
oohhh...nick1816 Thanks for the solution mate..
it took me a lot of time calculating Petrol amount after each iteration, though finally i made the correct option. But saw your post. This is good..
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 17 Sep 2017
Posts: 98
Re: A vessel ( capacity 10 ltrs) is filled entirely with petrol  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2019, 06:41
nick1816 wrote:
Initial volume of the petrol in vessel=(3/5)*10=6
Let volume of the petrol in vessel after 3 replacements=V

\(V=6(1-\frac{2}{10})^3\)
\(V=6*(\frac{4}{5})^3\)
V= 3.072L

% of petrol in the resulting solution= \(\frac{3.072}{10}*100=30.72\)%

shivansh9307 wrote:
A vessel ( capacity 10 ltrs) is filled entirely with petrol and kerosene in the ratio 3:2. Two ltrs of this solution is removed and replaced with 2 ltrs of kerosene. This procedure is repeated thrice. Find the % of petrol in the resulting solution.

A) 20%
B) 30.72%
C) 40.23%
D) 52.15%
E) 63.2%

(B)

nick1816
Rahulihavenoclue


Hi, can you please explain , how did you come up with 6*(1-2/10)^3
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 20 Apr 2019
Posts: 112
Re: A vessel ( capacity 10 ltrs) is filled entirely with petrol  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2019, 00:33
abhishek31 wrote:
nick1816 wrote:
Initial volume of the petrol in vessel=(3/5)*10=6
Let volume of the petrol in vessel after 3 replacements=V

\(V=6(1-\frac{2}{10})^3\)
\(V=6*(\frac{4}{5})^3\)
V= 3.072L

% of petrol in the resulting solution= \(\frac{3.072}{10}*100=30.72\)%

shivansh9307 wrote:
A vessel ( capacity 10 ltrs) is filled entirely with petrol and kerosene in the ratio 3:2. Two ltrs of this solution is removed and replaced with 2 ltrs of kerosene. This procedure is repeated thrice. Find the % of petrol in the resulting solution.

A) 20%
B) 30.72%
C) 40.23%
D) 52.15%
E) 63.2%

(B)

nick1816
Rahulihavenoclue


Hi, can you please explain , how did you come up with 6*(1-2/10)^3

I think it is:
current petrol in the vessel = 3/5 * 10 = 6l
so 6*(1-2/10)^3 is current petrol * (total - 2l being removed from total)^we do this for three times = petrol after the 3 replacements
GMAT Club Bot
Re: A vessel ( capacity 10 ltrs) is filled entirely with petrol   [#permalink] 13 Aug 2019, 00:33

A vessel ( capacity 10 ltrs) is filled entirely with petrol

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne