Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:00 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41 (Online)
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [1]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41 (Online)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 606
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GRE 1: Q166 V167

GRE 2: Q166 V167
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Re: About MBA Math [#permalink]
dranfoz wrote:
Hi everyone! I'm a male applicant from Chile with a background in business and 4 years of experience in management consulting.

Although I have a high GMAT for my demographic group (730 Q49, V41), my GPA is average (4.9 out of 7.0 from PUC - Chile's top busines school -class rank: 154 out of 355).

I have extenuating circumstances, and my grades did go up considerably in the last 2 years. However, in my lowest point I did terrible in some quantitative classes (even failing some accounting and statistics courses).

I decided to do MBA Math to try to compensate a bit... I'm almost done with it, gaining the maximum score in most pre-quizzes and in all post-quizzes (preliminary transcript attached).

However, I have a couple of questions:

[1] How does one "deliver" this transcript to the schools in the application? Should it be sent via MBA Math or attached somewhere in the application?
[2] Do all schools look fondly on this course? Or is there any school that might consider it to be counter-productive to include this transcript in the application?

I am planning to apply to Wharton, MIT, Kellogg and Columbia in first round.

Thank you!!!

Thank you,

Hey! Does passing the pre-quiz mean we can skip the post-quiz?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Kudos
Let me offer some perspective, based on my experience having worked as Dean of MBA Admissions and now continuing to work closely with the top MBA programs through my participation in AIGAC (the Association of International Graduate Admissions Consultants).

1) In terms of how to submit your MBA Math transcripts to the schools, it is usually done in the transcripts section. if need be, you can always ask the school. Don't forget that one important part of mitigating your subpar GPA is the optional essay. You should absolutely still use the essay to explain your undergraduate performance and to point out how you are mitigating it, including MBA Math.

When it comes to compensating for a low GPA, a strong GMAT is always the first and most important thing - and you've done this, which is great. But going above and beyond by taking MBA Math shows even stronger self-awareness and commitment to demonstrating that you are ready to do what it takes to be well prepared for the academic rigor of an MBA program. It's an important and strong signal so good for you for recognizing it.

2) In terms of how favorably schools look at MBA Math, here is what you need to know. MBA Math is very well known to schools and it is a respected tool. It's now been around for well over a decade and many top schools used MBA Math in lieu of the GMAT/GRE during the pandemic (examples included MIT). Even post-pandemic, many schools will still consider MBA Math as evidence of academic preparedness for those who are seeking test waivers. In your case, it will be even more helpful because you already have a very strong GMAT. MBA Math is more a prep tool than a test. The same is true of HBS Online CORe (formerly HBX). Let's not forget that the way CORe became so popular is because HBS used to require it of some of their admitted students, even if they had very strong GMATs but were lacking quant and analytical coursework from undergrad. Even though HBS used to require it of only about 15% of the admitted students, they discovered that nearly half of the class would take it anyway - simply because they wanted to be well prepared.

In your case, with MBA Math, you are going above and beyond so to speak - and every little thing that can give you an edge is more than welcome.

If you want to talk about any of this further, you can schedule time for us to chat: https://www.mymbapath.com/free-consultation
GMAT Club Bot