It is currently 20 Nov 2017, 08:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

According to some analysts, the gains in the stock market reflect grow

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
8 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
S

Kudos [?]: 9281 [8], given: 340

Re: According to some analysts, the gains in the stock market reflect grow [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2014, 12:30
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
vietmoi999 wrote:
I can come to choice A because other choices have clear errors.
But I am uneasy with choice A
there is no past action or past point of time before which "had feared" happened. In nearly all og questions, "had done" has a past point of time or past action.

we can infer the meaning only from the forms of verb in the sentence.

Hi vietmoi999,

A very good question indeed. :)

You are absolutely correct in saying that there is no ‘past action’ or past point of time’ in this sentence. The usage of the past perfect tense is a little tricky in this sentence. Let’s analyze the structure and meaning of the sentence to understand:

• According to some analysts, the gains in the stock market reflect growing confidence (C-1)
o that the economy will avoid the recession (C-2)
• that many had feared earlier in the year (C-3)
o and instead come in for a 'soft landing', followed by a gradual increase in the business activity. (C-2)....Continued

In the above sentence, “according to some analysts” presents a meaning similar to “some analysts said that”. This is the related past event in the sentence.

So, the two events from the past are:
1. Some analysts said….
2. Many had feared earlier in the year…..

The time marker ‘earlier in the year’ tells us that the 2nd action happened earlier in the past than the 1st action. So, the usage of the past perfect tense is correct here.

Note that, it’s not intuitive to consider “according to some analysts” a separate event, but I would suggest that we try to understand the context of the sentence to see how an event can be expressed without using an action word.

Also, as you have already mentioned, no other answer choice is error-free. So, we can apply POE to get to the answer.

Hope this helps! :)

Regards,
Deepak

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Kudos [?]: 9281 [8], given: 340

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 2

Re: According to some analysts, the gains in the stock market reflect grow [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2014, 02:40
This post was
BOOKMARKED
gautrang wrote:
Hmn, but then, shouldn't the Simple Past tense suffice here? To acknowledged that it happened in the past should be enough right?

I usually see the past perfect when there is the past simple also in the same sentence to indicate what action happens first. This is not the case here.

The past perfect refers to a time earlier than before now.It is used to make it clear that one action happened before another action in the past and the effect of the earlier action on the later one is felt in the pesent. For example:

When I reached the station, the train had already left. So the earlier action is the train leaving while the later action is reached. The effect of these 2 actions ,no doubt in the recent past, is that I missed the train now.

So past perfect tense is needed to establish the connect between the past and the present. The simple past in this sentence would not be able to bring the connect. Is this helpful?

Best wishes,
Team Manya-The Princeton Review

E:info@manyagroup.com
T: 1800-102-4646
http://www.manyagroup.com

http://goo.gl/hpmXBk

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 2

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 48

Concentration: Operations, Finance
GMAT Date: 05-10-2015
GPA: 3.51
WE: Programming (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2014, 05:03
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi,

I need help to understand the following SC (SC- Q:50 OG13):

"According to some analysts, the gains in the stock
market reflect growing confidence that the economy
will avoid the recession that many had feared earlier
in the year and instead come in for a "soft landing,"
followed by a gradual increase in business activity."

(A) that the economy will avoid the recession
that many had feared earlier in the year and instead come

(B) in the economy to avoid the recession, what
many feared earlier in the year, rather to come

(C) in the economy's ability to avoid the recession,
something earlier in the year many had feared, and instead to come

(D) in the economy to avoid the recession many
were fearing earlier in the year, and rather to come

(E) that the economy will avoid the recession that
was feared earlier this year by many, with it instead coming

The answer provided in OG is option A. Now, I have following doubts:

- It is said, during the solution explanation, that " two
parallel verbs, will avoid and {will understood)
come.". My doubt is, how "will" is understood here ?!! The missing "will"
actually eliminating option A in POE.

- My choice was option C since i saw correct parallelism and the meaning is properly conveyed, but the option is eliminated because "instead to come" makes the sentence incomplete. Could anyone please explain why and how?

Thank you in advance.
Anitesh

Question discussed here : according-to-some-analysts-the-gains-in-the-stock-market-70645-20.html#p1371036

Please give Kudos to the post if you liked.

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 48

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 865 [0], given: 724

GPA: 3.21
WE: Business Development (Other)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2014, 10:34
aniteshgmat1101 wrote:
Hi,

I need help to understand the following SC (SC- Q:50 OG13):

"According to some analysts, the gains in the stock
in the year and instead come in for a "soft landing,"
followed by a gradual increase in business activity."

that many had feared earlier in the year and instead come

(C) in the economy's ability to avoid the recession,
something earlier in the year many had feared, and instead to come

were fearing earlier in the year, and rather to come

was feared earlier this year by many, with it instead coming

The answer provided in OG is option A. Now, I have following doubts:

- It is said, during the solution explanation, that " two
come.". My doubt is, how "will" is understood here ?!! The missing "will"
actually eliminating option A in POE.

- My choice was option C since i saw correct parallelism and the meaning is properly conveyed, but the option is eliminated because "instead to come" makes the sentence incomplete. Could anyone please explain why and how?

Thank you in advance.
Anitesh

Hello Anitesh,

Welcome to Gmatclub...

Since this is an OG question and thus has been discussed before on GC...

Find below the link: according-to-some-analysts-the-gains-in-the-stock-market-70645-20.html#p1371036

Before posting your question, It is always a good option to use the search option and check if the question has been answered before.

Here some more useful links for you

rules-for-posting-in-verbal-gmat-forum-134642.html
all-you-need-for-quant-140445.html
rules-for-posting-please-read-this-before-posting-133935.html

To your doubt

It is said, during the solution explanation, that " t
come.". My doubt is, how "will" is understood here...

Well, thereare 2 ways the sentence can be written

Same as it is given in the correct answer A will avoid(verb 1) recession.....and instead come (verb 2) ( Here the construction will Verb 1 and Verb 2 and thus is a parallel construction)

2nd way will be to write it as will avoid recession and will instead come (here the construction is will verb 1 and will verb 2)

Hope it helps

“If you can't fly then run, if you can't run then walk, if you can't walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward.”

Kudos [?]: 865 [0], given: 724

1 KUDOS received
CR Forum Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 198 [1], given: 191

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2014, 20:39
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Deepak,

You said, “according to some analysts” presents a meaning similar to “some analysts said that”
Doesn't it also mean “some analysts say that”?

Hasan Mahmud

Kudos [?]: 198 [1], given: 191

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 911 [1], given: 322

Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2014, 22:58
This post received
KUDOS
egmat wrote:
vietmoi999 wrote:
there is no past action or past point of time before which "had feared" happened. In nearly all og questions, "had done" has a past point of time or past action.

Hi vietmoi999,

You are absolutely correct in saying that there is no ‘past action’ or past point of time’ in this sentence. The usage of the past perfect tense is a little tricky in this sentence. Let’s analyze the structure and meaning of the sentence to understand:

• According to some analysts, the gains in the stock market reflect growing confidence (C-1)
o and instead come in for a 'soft landing', followed by a gradual increase in the business activity. (C-2)....Continued

In the above sentence, “according to some analysts” presents a meaning similar to “some analysts said that”. This is the related past event in the sentence.

1. Some analysts said….

The time marker ‘earlier in the year’ tells us that the 2nd action happened earlier in the past than the 1st action. So, the usage of the past perfect tense is correct here.

Note that, it’s not intuitive to consider “according to some analysts” a separate event, but I would suggest that we try to understand the context of the sentence to see how an event can be expressed without using an action word.

Also, as you have already mentioned, no other answer choice is error-free. So, we can apply POE to get to the answer.

Regards,
Deepak

Hi e-gmat,

Thanks for the good explanation. However, below is my query.

How can we be so sure of the phrase "According to some analysts" is a past event?

Unless the below are mentioned we cannot be sure enough?

(1). Currently, according to analysts : Present

(2). In the past, according to analyst: Past

(3). According to analyst in the coming years: Future

And lastly for the indefinite time when we don't know the time period we use "Present Perfect"

(4). According to analysts: Present perfect.

Please clarify !

Rgds,
TGC!

Kudos [?]: 911 [1], given: 322

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 29

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2014, 10:15
Hi,

A quick clarification on this question. I was under the impression that when you have time markers such as earlier, before etc. we can avoid the past perfect tense. I saw few such sc questions, but could not remember the actual questions to quote here.

My understanding on Past perfect is that,

1. When two related events happened in the past and to denote the earlier event, we use 'had'.
2.If the events are not related, no need to use past perfect.
3. If marker words are there, we can skip 'had' because the marker word denoted which event happened first/last.

Please correct me if i am wrong and sorry for such a lame question.

Regards,
Gabriel

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 29

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 19

Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 460 Q35 V20
GPA: 3.6
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2014, 11:32
•According to some analysts, the gains in the stock market reflect growing confidence
•that the economy ◦will ■avoid the recession ■that many had feared earlier in the year

■and instead come in for a “soft landing”, followed by a gradual increase in business activity

•From earlier discussions, we know that past perfect tense can be used only when the two events are related to each other and have an action.
•Here one event is "Analysts said" and other is had feared.How are these two related logically?

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 19

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
S

Kudos [?]: 9281 [0], given: 340

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2014, 00:36
TGC wrote:
egmat wrote:
vietmoi999 wrote:

Hi vietmoi999,

1. Some analysts said….

Regards,
Deepak

Hi e-gmat,

Thanks for the good explanation. However, below is my query.

How can we be so sure of the phrase "According to some analysts" is a past event?

Unless the below are mentioned we cannot be sure enough?

(1). Currently, according to analysts : Present

(2). In the past, according to analyst: Past

(3). According to analyst in the coming years: Future

And lastly for the indefinite time when we don't know the time period we use "Present Perfect"

(4). According to analysts: Present perfect.

Please clarify !

Hi Saurabh,

It is not advisable to use the present perfect when the time period is not known. The present perfect tense is used when we need to show the duration over which an action has continued or when the effect of an event that happened in the past are still visible in the present.

Also, the time marker "earlier in the year" tells us that the recession was feared earlier in the year. So, what event could possibly have happened after this fear? The context of the sentence tells us that the claims of the analysis is the only thing that could have happened afterwards.

Regards,
Deepak

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Kudos [?]: 9281 [0], given: 340

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 5

Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT Date: 10-15-2013
GPA: 3.53

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2014, 09:41
egmat wrote:
vietmoi999 wrote:

Hi vietmoi999,

1. Some analysts said….

Regards,
Deepak

If “according to some analysts” means “some analysts said that” or implies a past event, should not "will" be replaced with "would"???

لا الله الا الله, محمد رسول الله

You never fail until you stop trying ,,,

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 5

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2014, 05:42
vietmoi999 wrote:
on most sc problems, "had done" need a part time/action as a mark. for some problems, "had done " dose not. luckily, in this problems, there is another error clear for us to solve

Here is what i got --

for something that happened in the past but is important at the time of reporting:
I couldn’t get into the house. I had lost my keys.
Teresa wasn’t at home. She had gone shopping.

Please let me know, if this can be considered as a rule.

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
Manhattan Prep Instructor

Kudos [?]: 846 [0], given: 5

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2014, 16:54
tomlui2010 wrote:
vietmoi999 wrote:
on most sc problems, "had done" need a part time/action as a mark. for some problems, "had done " dose not. luckily, in this problems, there is another error clear for us to solve

Here is what i got --

for something that happened in the past but is important at the time of reporting:
I couldn’t get into the house. I had lost my keys.
Teresa wasn’t at home. She had gone shopping.

Please let me know, if this can be considered as a rule.

Your examples (which you can turn into a single sentence by connecting with 'because') follow the standard rules of past perfect - two actions in the past with one happening before the other.

You don't need to look at a different rule to justify the past perfect.

KW

Posted from my mobile device

Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Kudos [?]: 846 [0], given: 5

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 6

Hoa: Tran
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT Date: 05-23-2015
GPA: 3.85
WE: Research (Investment Banking)

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2015, 01:11
50. According to some analysts, the gains in the stock
in the year and instead come in for a “soft landing,”
followed by a gradual increase in business activity.
that many had feared earlier in the year and
instead come
(C) in the economy’s ability to avoid the recession,
something earlier in the year many had feared,
and instead to come
were fearing earlier in the year, and rather
to come
was feared earlier this year by many, with it
instead coming

This is a question from OG review 2015. I think the official answer and explanation have some problems. Please share your thought.

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 6

SVP
SVP
S

Kudos [?]: 1637 [0], given: 8

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2015, 10:55
282552 wrote:
Can anybody please explain the difference in use of "confidence that" and "confidence in" .I thought confidence in is a correct idiom.Expert please help!!!

Either "confident that" and "confident in" can be correct. When it comes to GMAT -- oftentimes it's not black and white. One is not necessarily always right while the other is always wrong -- try to think in terms of grey/middle areas where both can be correct.

In this case, the question is not testing you on an idiom usage -- there are other problems in other parts of the sentence that you should be directing your attention (and not wasting time on this particular area).

Also, we recommend that you create a free account here and watch through our video explanations of OG questions: http://www.gmatpill.com/official-guide- ... ?id=ogsc50

Kudos [?]: 1637 [0], given: 8

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
D

Kudos [?]: 17632 [1], given: 1986

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2015, 06:44
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
According to some analysts, the gains in the stock market reflect growing confidence that the economy will avoid the recession that many had feared earlier in the year and instead come in for a “soft landing,” followed by a gradual increase in business activity.

A. that the economy will avoid the recession that many had feared earlier in the year and instead come

B. in the economy to avoid the recession, what many feared earlier in the year, rather to come

C. in the economy’s ability to avoid the recession, something earlier in the year many had feared, and instead to come

D. in the economy to avoid the recession many were fearing earlier in the year, and rather to come

E. that the economy will avoid the recession that was feared earlier this year by many, with it instead coming

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Kudos [?]: 17632 [1], given: 1986

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 17

Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V26
GMAT 2: 660 Q51 V27
GMAT 3: 680 Q50 V31
GMAT 4: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 5: 760 Q50 V42
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 05 May 2015, 10:09
Hi you guys,
I have this question:
In choice (A) that the economy will avoid the recession that many had feared earlier in the year and instead come

Does anyone of you think the subject of the verb "come" could be "many", so the sentence becomes ambiguous. I don't see any signs or separators before the phrase "and instead come" to show that this phrase belongs to the 1st subject, which is "the economy".

I will be very appreciated anyone who gives the detailed explanation. Thanks!

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 17

1 KUDOS received
Queens MBA Thread Master

Kudos [?]: 123 [1], given: 45

Concentration: Leadership, General Management

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2015, 18:24
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
According to some analysts, the gains in the stock market reflect growing confidence that the economy will avoid the recession that many had feared earlier in the year and instead come in for a 'soft landing', followed by a gradual increase in the business activity.

(A) that the economy will avoid the recession that many had feared earlier in the year and instead come
(B) in the economy to avoid the recession, what many feared earlier in the year, rather to come
(C) in the economy's ability to avoid the recession, something earlier in the year many had feared , and instead to come
(D) in the economy to avoid the recession many were fearing earlier in the year, and rather to come
(E) that the economy will avoid the recession that was feared eariler this year by many, with it instead coming

Meaning :
Analyst Said : Gains Reflect confidence . Confidence that Economy with Avoid recession. A recession that was feared by many but come soft with increase in business activity.

Sentence Structure :
According to some analysts, the gains in the stock market reflect growing confidence (Clause - Gain : Subject, Reflect - Verb)
That the economy will avoid the recession, (clause - Economy: Subject, Will avoid : Verb )
that many had feared earlier in the year and instead come in for a 'soft landing', followed by a gradual increase in the business activity. (clause That (Recession) : Subject, had Feared and had come verb)

Second clause modifies "Confidence" and Third clause modifies Recession.

Error Analysis :
1. Use of "that" - Usually That introduces clause (S + V), ( when lot of action is happening in small part of sentence GMAT always prefer Clause instead of Phrases ) As per above structure analysis, we have full clause after every occurrence of that and hence Use of that is correct.

2. Use of Will : Any future prediction need Use of simple future hence use of Will is correct.

3. Use of Past perfect Had : Is fear still exist ? No, It was expected / Feared by many but that fear is not there at the time of analyst making that statement. Analyst made that sentence in past and they talked about "Fear" their past event - So Use of "HAD" is not incorrect.

4. Modifiers : there is not misplaces or dangling modifiers, clauses introduced by "that" logically modifies its preceding noun.

So sentence is correct

Option B,C,D can be eliminated based on the absence of "that"
There are other issues as well in Option B,C and D, such as Incorrect usage of "Rather or Instead"

Let's analyse Option E (only option with "That")
that the economy will avoid the recession - Correct
that was feared eariler this year by many - Simple past tense, that means, when analyst made that statement Fear was in existence that means analyst statement in void. this part changes the intended meaning - incorrect
with it instead coming - Adverbial phrase acting as modifier, what this guy is trying to modify, Recession or economy not clear.

Kudos [?]: 123 [1], given: 45

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 40 [1], given: 165

GMAT 1: 540 Q39 V26
GMAT 2: 680 Q46 V37
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2015, 08:31
This post received
KUDOS
zahraf wrote:
according to parallelism,shouldn't be "will come'' because we have "will avoid" ?

Hey! Great query. But perhaps, this is one of those situations where you can skip the auxiliary/helping verb. For example: "I will get up in the morning and go for a walk" is as correct as I will get up in the morning and I will go for a walk."

The similar situation is seen here. Hope this helps! However, let me know whether there is an alternate explanation to this.

Fais de ta vie un rêve et d'un rêve une réalité

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT 1: 540 Q39 V26
GMAT 2: 680 Q46 V37
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2015, 08:55
This post received
KUDOS
Hugoba wrote:
Can someone tell wheter the the construction "in the economy's ability to avoid... and instead to come" is correct?

Idiomatically it is. Take a look at this for a clearer explanation on the usage of Instead of v/s Rather than http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/gmat-idioms-of-comparison/
and thank mikemcgarry from Magoosh for the same :)

Fais de ta vie un rêve et d'un rêve une réalité

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 176

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2016, 19:37
egmat wrote:
vietmoi999 wrote:

Hi vietmoi999,

1. Some analysts said….

Regards,
Deepak

But if "According to some analysts..." = "Some analysts said that..."
==> "Some analysts said that the economy will avoid the recession" ==> is it quite right?

---------------------------------------------------------
Please kudos me if this helps. Thank you.

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 176

Re: According to some analysts, the gains in the stock market reflect grow   [#permalink] 25 Feb 2016, 19:37

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 58 posts ] 

According to some analysts, the gains in the stock market reflect grow

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap