GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 13 Nov 2018, 10:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Essential GMAT Time-Management Hacks

November 14, 2018

November 14, 2018

07:00 PM PST

08:00 PM PST

Join the webinar and learn time-management tactics that will guarantee you answer all questions, in all sections, on time. Save your spot today! Nov. 14th at 7 PM PST
  • $450 Tuition Credit & Official CAT Packs FREE

November 15, 2018

November 15, 2018

10:00 PM MST

11:00 PM MST

EMPOWERgmat is giving away the complete Official GMAT Exam Pack collection worth $100 with the 3 Month Pack ($299)

Adrian runs FAST. He runs FASTER than Jacob <----- is

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Adrian runs FAST. He runs FASTER than Jacob <----- is  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2012, 10:04
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

80% (00:00) correct 20% (00:00) wrong based on 5 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Adrian runs FAST. He runs FASTER than Jacob <----- is this right?? doesn't it have to be He runs FASTER than Jacob DOES?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: UWC
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V33
GMAT 2: 680 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.43
WE: Engineering (Entertainment and Sports)
Reviews Badge
Re: Comparison question  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2012, 04:40
hi zerocool588, methinks both are gramatically correct:

Adrian runs FASTER than Jacob
Adrian runs faster than Jacob does.

Daagh correct me if I'm wrong, but 'does' in the second sentence is a helping verb.

I don't think the GMAT will make an answer right solely based on helping verbs although for the sake of simplicity and concision, the first sentence would be preferred but that does NOT mean the second sentence is wrong.

salut!

PS: welcome to the GMAT Club!
Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2012, 08:36
A helping verb is always accompanied by a main verb. The purpose of the helping verb do or does is to emphasize a point. Ex: I do need to take some medicine to put off my cough. Here you can see you hve two verbs, do, and need. Need alone may be enough to convey your thought but by reinforcing with a helping verb do, the point is further stressed.

In this given case does is a mere synonym or alternative for the verb runs; it is not used to add strength and hence not a helping verb

Now in this case, what are we comparing? Are you comparing Adrian with John or Adrian’s action of running with John’s action of running? Obviously, we are comparing the action of each other’s running. Therefore, an action verb such does which is a replacement for the main verb runs is required. However, some try to justify the first sentence saying that the second verb is elliptical and understood. That might however led to errors.

Look at the following sentences and derive which is better.

1. Nobody understands GMAT better than nobody understands Tom
2. Nobody understands GMAT better than Tom does.

The fist sentence may mean that nobody understands GMAT better than Tom does or nobody understands GMAT as well as he or she understands TOM. You can see the ambiguity

Here. It will be more straight and clear to say that nobody understands GMAT better than Tom does All this is in my view and I am liable to be rebutted

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2012, 07:02
On the topic of the presence of verbs in the second half of comparisons, what controls the order of the subject and verb?

For example:

1. Steve runs faster than Tom does.
2. Steve runs faster than does Tom.

I've seen correct examples of each and never understood the rule.
Non-Human User
Premium Member
Re: Adrian runs FAST. He runs FASTER than Jacob <----- is  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2017, 11:40
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

-
April 2018: New Forum dedicated to Verbal Strategies, Guides, and Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Adrian runs FAST. He runs FASTER than Jacob <----- is &nbs [#permalink] 23 Mar 2017, 11:40

Adrian runs FAST. He runs FASTER than Jacob <----- is

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap