Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 15:35 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 15:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [1]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [1]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 97 [1]
Given Kudos: 58
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Analyst (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
WE:Business Development (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Re: Ambassador Program: Tuck -- Hear from current students & alumni [#permalink]
I will try to post some details of my experience during the first month of the MBA, be more specific on the stories, and confirm whether my reasoning to attend Tuck was right.

Do not hesitate to ask any questions or to ask for more details on the upcoming stories!

I really hope this actually helps applicants to get a better sense of the school and the community.

Best regards,
kheown[/quote]

Thanks Kheown for the insights. I could feel the similar situation today when I am applying to the B-Schools in the U.S. I hope next year I could also share the story from Application to Admit.

Meanwhile, Can you help me with a small review?

I have already started the application process, researching, and networking. The problem is I am not able to decide on the schools to which I apply, beacuse with current GMAT of 710, I am looking forward to write again to target a 740-750.

Some of my friends who already got an admit to some of the good B-Schools, suggest me that I should not focus on GMAT now and give 100% effort in the application, but my consultant who hails from LBS and has an experience of a decade in admission consulting strongly suggests to retry for GMAT, parallelly working for Round 1 Application in a generalized way and researching on a broad Band of colleges.

Please share your feedback.

My Profile :
WE: Total : 5 years now and 6 at Matriculating
Present : Business Development (Aerospace and Defense) - Piloted New Biz Dev. Unit
Past : Entrepreneur- Founder - 1 year - Education Technology
Past : Project Manager - 3 Manufacturing - Fortune 150 Company
ExtraCurr: Astute Traveler - Driven Motorcycle across 10,000 Kms covering 3 corners of India in a solo ride. ( 5 Months sabbatical )

Thanks in Advance
Anurodh
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 97 [0]
Send PM
Re: Ambassador Program: Tuck -- Hear from current students & alumni [#permalink]
Anurodh2017 wrote:
I will try to post some details of my experience during the first month of the MBA, be more specific on the stories, and confirm whether my reasoning to attend Tuck was right.

Do not hesitate to ask any questions or to ask for more details on the upcoming stories!

I really hope this actually helps applicants to get a better sense of the school and the community.

Best regards,
kheown

Thanks Kheown for the insights. I could feel the similar situation today when I am applying to the B-Schools in the U.S. I hope next year I could also share the story from Application to Admit.

I have already started the application process, researching, and networking. The problem is I am not able to decide on the schools to which I apply, beacuse with current GMAT of 710, I am looking forward to write again to target a 740-750.

Some of my friends who already got an admit to some of the good B-Schools, suggest me that I should not focus on GMAT now and give 100% effort in the application, but my consultant who hails from LBS and has an experience of a decade in admission consulting strongly suggests to retry for GMAT, parallelly working for Round 1 Application in a generalized way and researching on a broad Band of colleges.

My Profile :
Present : Business Development (Aerospace and Defense) - Piloted New Biz Dev. Unit
ExtraCurr: Astute Traveler - Driven Motorcycle across 10,000 Kms covering 3 corners of India in a solo ride. ( 5 Months sabbatical )

Thanks in Advance
Anurodh

Hello Anurodh,

I am absolutely no expert on this, but here's my 2 cents. When I started the application process, I focused too much on the GMAT, thinking that if I can't change my past grades and my Work Experience (I had never worked at a large, well-known company), the GMAT would be my lifesaver. In a certain way, it is. It helps adcoms to evaluate al their candidates with the same measuring stick, and see how strong they are academically with a recent test. I had a 700 from 2013 but I really thought I wouldn't get anywhere with that score and ended up taking the test again on September 10th, 2015 (too late!) to improve to a 720. Sure, this score slightly helped me to get an admit, but in my opinion what really moves an adcom is your story and seeing that you may fit with the rest of the class. Tell your own story with passion and make sure it makes sense. To prove that you fit with the class, talk to as many students and recent grads as possible and, in the case of Tuck, come to campus to interview if you can! It really makes a difference and shows genuine interest in the school.

This process is exhausting and daunting (you might get dings without interviews before interview invitations or before admits), and I'd say that a huge majority of the candidates don't put nearly as much effort on their 6th application than on the preceeding 5. Applying to too many schools will drain your energy (I ended up withdrawing an application and not submitting another 2, just because I thought I couldn't do a great job during the interviews). There are many similar essays out there that might suggeest that applying to all those schools is easy. Although there clearly are sinergies, if you are invited to interview you'll need to dig into the school a lot more and be way more specific, which is the most time consuming part of the process once you are done with the "basic essays/questions" (goals, why MBA, why now...).

To answer your question. Do I think you have a chance? Of course! Do I think a 740 would help you? Definitely, but it won't grant an admit. If I had to choose between spending time to improve my application in a personal way (crafting a better story, getting to know each school better...) and spending time to improve a test score, I'd go with the former (and I would've said exactly the opposite last year!). Looking back, there are some schools that care more about your story than about your scores (given that you have a good score already).

Having said all this, I think that having a score above the median/average is important, especially if you come from an overrepresented pool of applicants and if you want to receive some funding from the school. Your Q is really good, just need to focus a bit more on that V (increasing your V by 1 would probably increase your total score by 10. At lwast that was the idea I had last year while prepping for the test).

Ideally, you'd have time to do both :-D

Hope this helps!

kheown
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
Thank you Keown and Aerien.

I am hoping I can get some information about the Revers Student Fellows Program and Consulting Club. Can you please let me know some of the activities conducted/hosted by these clubs/centres. How do they help students whose interest lies in Energy consulting. Also, what is the role student fellows in these activities
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
WE:Business Development (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
kheown wrote:
Anurodh2017 wrote:

Having said all this, I think that having a score above the median/average is important, especially if you come from an overrepresented pool of applicants and if you want to receive some funding from the school. Your Q is really good, just need to focus a bit more on that V (increasing your V by 1 would probably increase your total score by 10. At lwast that was the idea I had last year while prepping for the test).

Hope this helps!

kheown

Hi Kheown

Thanks for the detailed insights. As of now, I will give another week or 10 days on the GMAT and find out whether, I can push the score to 740 plus, assessing the relaiable mocks. If things look nice, then I will give a try by mid-August ( we have a long 3 days weekend in India during the independence day ). While doing so, I would try to network with as many people, I can and work on a skeletal essays.

Can I have your e-mail in personal message??

Thanks a ton
Anurodh
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Anurodh2017 wrote:

Hi Kheown

Thanks for the detailed insights. As of now, I will give another week or 10 days on the GMAT and find out whether, I can push the score to 740 plus, assessing the relaiable mocks. If things look nice, then I will give a try by mid-August ( we have a long 3 days weekend in India during the independence day ). While doing so, I would try to network with as many people, I can and work on a skeletal essays.

Can I have your e-mail in personal message??

Thanks a ton
Anurodh

Hi!

Just sent you a PM with my email :)

Best,
kheown
Manager
Manager
Send PM
daredevil123 wrote:
Thank you Keown and Aerien.

I am hoping I can get some information about the Revers Student Fellows Program and Consulting Club. Can you please let me know some of the activities conducted/hosted by these clubs/centres. How do they help students whose interest lies in Energy consulting. Also, what is the role student fellows in these activities

Hello!

I just edited my initial post to mention that I'll be recruiting for non-IB finance roles, so I'm not really familiar with the consulting club or the Revers Student Fellows. I could try to connect you with someone familiar with these once I get to Hanover.

PM me in a few weeks if I haven't, please.

Best regards,
kheown
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
kheown wrote:
Anurodh2017 wrote:

Best regards,
kheown

My Profile :

Thanks in Advance
Anurodh

Hello Anurodh,

I am absolutely no expert on this, but here's my 2 cents. When I started the application process, I focused too much on the GMAT, thinking that if I can't change my past grades and my Work Experience (I had never worked at a large, well-known company), the GMAT would be my lifesaver. In a certain way, it is. It helps adcoms to evaluate al their candidates with the same measuring stick, and see how strong they are academically with a recent test. I had a 700 from 2013 but I really thought I wouldn't get anywhere with that score and ended up taking the test again on September 10th, 2015 (too late!) to improve to a 720. Sure, this score slightly helped me to get an admit, but in my opinion what really moves an adcom is your story and seeing that you may fit with the rest of the class. Tell your own story with passion and make sure it makes sense. To prove that you fit with the class, talk to as many students and recent grads as possible and, in the case of Tuck, come to campus to interview if you can! It really makes a difference and shows genuine interest in the school.

This process is exhausting and daunting (you might get dings without interviews before interview invitations or before admits), and I'd say that a huge majority of the candidates don't put nearly as much effort on their 6th application than on the preceeding 5. Applying to too many schools will drain your energy (I ended up withdrawing an application and not submitting another 2, just because I thought I couldn't do a great job during the interviews). There are many similar essays out there that might suggeest that applying to all those schools is easy. Although there clearly are sinergies, if you are invited to interview you'll need to dig into the school a lot more and be way more specific, which is the most time consuming part of the process once you are done with the "basic essays/questions" (goals, why MBA, why now...).

To answer your question. Do I think you have a chance? Of course! Do I think a 740 would help you? Definitely, but it won't grant an admit. If I had to choose between spending time to improve my application in a personal way (crafting a better story, getting to know each school better...) and spending time to improve a test score, I'd go with the former (and I would've said exactly the opposite last year!). Looking back, there are some schools that care more about your story than about your scores (given that you have a good score already).

Hope this helps!

kheown

Thanks kheown for taking the initiative with these insightful views on Tuck! As a reminder though, the Ambassador threads are not a place for peer review requests. Please use the Peer Review and Admissions Counselor sections of the forum for profile reviews (linked below).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi Kheown
I was planning about visiting tuck and I beleive that would help me a lot.
I see that people also interview during the visit.
Since I'm very early in my applications process, I don't feel comfortable interviewing at this stage. Specially since this interview would hold as much value as an interview that I would do if I were invited to interview. As much as I want to visit, speak with students and sit in class, I think interviewing now may hurt my chances.

I am an international applicant, and this is a suitable time for me to visit all schools. May not get the oppurtunity later.

So here is my questions:
Does Tuck Allow visiting even if I don't want to interview. Based on the website Tuck website , I see that's only an option in spring. Does Tuck still allow applicants to visit and not interview now (in Oct).
I plan to apply in round 1 and tuck is the first application I'm working on

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Send PM
rollercoastermba wrote:
Hi Kheown
I was planning about visiting tuck and I beleive that would help me a lot.
I see that people also interview during the visit.
Since I'm very early in my applications process, I don't feel comfortable interviewing at this stage. Specially since this interview would hold as much value as an interview that I would do if I were invited to interview. As much as I want to visit, speak with students and sit in class, I think interviewing now may hurt my chances.

I am an international applicant, and this is a suitable time for me to visit all schools. May not get the oppurtunity later.

So here is my questions:
Does Tuck Allow visiting even if I don't want to interview. Based on the website Tuck website , I see that's only an option in spring. Does Tuck still allow applicants to visit and not interview now (in Oct).
I plan to apply in round 1 and tuck is the first application I'm working on

Thanks

Hello! Like most people, I'd say that you should submit your application whenever you think it's completely ready. And just like with the application, you should do the same with the interview, if you have the chance to do it whenever you want. I wouldnt rush it if you dont feel comfortable with that right now.

Having said that, if you can only come to Hanover now but you dont think you are ready for the interview, come anyways and visit the school. I have seen many people coming just for class visits, lunch with admissions + Q&A, a campus tour, etc... Some of those prospectives are even internationals. This will even help you with your essays and for a potential interview afterwards.

Not sure about the website and the process to book your visit, but I would send an email to admissions and they can help you figure out the best way to come to visit, and make the most out of your stay here. I think it shows that you are interested in the school and want to know more about it. It cant hurt to ask what are the possibilities for a visit :)

Good luck with the process and let me know if you end up coming to visit!

Best,
kheown
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Thanks Kheown, that was super helpful.
Do you think it may impact my chances of getting accepted in a negative way if I ask admissions about visiting and not interviewing - wouldn't it seem like I'm not prepared.

Another concern I have is when the adcoms do evaluate my application wouldn't it stand out that even though I came to campus, I did not interview, specially since so many people do interview.

I may be thinking too much into this, but Tuck is my first choice and I am trying to minimize any risks.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
rollercoastermba wrote:
Thanks Kheown, that was super helpful.
Do you think it may impact my chances of getting accepted in a negative way if I ask admissions about visiting and not interviewing - wouldn't it seem like I'm not prepared.

Another concern I have is when the adcoms do evaluate my application wouldn't it stand out that even though I came to campus, I did not interview, specially since so many people do interview.

I may be thinking too much into this, but Tuck is my first choice and I am trying to minimize any risks.

I dont think so. You could say that you are working on your application but are in the early stages and that the only time that you can visit Hanover is now. I think it's way better to visit the campus than not, even if you cant interview that day.

Dont overthink it. I've met many people in my class (especially internationals) who didnt interview on campus, and they still made it. If you think you'll be ready by the time you can come to visit and book an interview slot, then do it. If you think you will not be prepared, I'd say a bad interview may hurt your chances a lot more than coming to visit without interviewing (I really don't see that hurting your chances at all - you were so interested in the school that you came all the way to Hanover just to see the campus, even without the possibility to interview - ).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 97 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Hello everyone,

I am sorry I havent been able to post more often over the past months but, believe it or not, the first term is even busier than they say online! :shock:

I moved to Sachem Village (an off-campus apartment complex used mostly by graduate students, especially Tuckies) in early August, and since then, I havent really had time to rest. I started doing a highly-recommended, 5-day long pre-term program (Tuck Builds) right before Orientation, where I, along with 7 other students, was able to collaborate with Habitat for Humanity to help a homeowner restore her house and backyard in a nearby town in NH. After Orientation, we finished the first part of the fall term (Fall A) in 4 weeks. We had midterms 2 weeks after the first day of classes! Now I'm in the middle of Fall B (just finished the midterms this week) and I'm finally getting back to my studying habits and up to speed again.

Life in Hanover, NH has been great so far. Outdoor activities in the area are unmatched and I am still in shock after seeing snow on October 25th! Everyone's incredibly helpful and, even though Tuck is 2.5 miles away and my fiancee uses the car every morning to go to work (at 6.45 am and my classes start at 8.30), I've always been able to catch a ride to campus with any of my neighbors who are also going to class at the same time.

There are 4 sections in every class and each section has around 70 students. Then, they build 6-person study groups that are always really well balanced in terms of backgrounds and diversity. I have been able to learn a lot from my study group (both soft and hard skills).

In terms of social life, for example, this weekend we hosted the annual Diversity Conference and the 3 T'18s from Spain pulled together and amazing food table with Spanish omelette, tapas and a 5-gallon bucket of sangria :-D

I will do my best to keep posting update you on the social and academic life at Tuck. I know, I have yet to make an awesome post about tripod hockey and how bad I am at ice skating...

Best,
kheown
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [0]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Archived Tuck Discussion
Hi there,
You've stumbled upon an old discussion from our Tuck Forum that's now outdated and has been archived. No more replies are possible here.
Interested in current discussions? Feel free to dive into our dedicated Tuck Forum for all fresh things related to the Tuck MBA program.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts