GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 24 Sep 2018, 09:00

Starting NOW:

MBA Chat - How to Craft Career Goals/answer Why MBA Question. Join HERE

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Application Process - Conveying Past Experiences

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
Application Process - Conveying Past Experiences  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2017, 22:31
Hello,

I'm trying to learn more about the application process for MBA programs. I've done some reading and understand that there are certain elements, such as volunteering or leadership experiences, that the schools hold in high regard. What would be the best way to highlight these experiences in the application process?

The standard components of the MBA application include the 1 page resume and essay(s), and these would presumably be where the schools expect you to highlight these experiences. What if there was some experience demonstrating leadership that I've had, but which does not fit neatly into the resume and is not relevant to the essay topics (an ad-hoc incident not related to employment or extra curriculars for instance)? What would be the best way to highlight these to the admissions committee?

On a related note, are the entries in the resume scrutinized as closely and given as much weight as what is set out in the essays? I'm asking this because some of my stronger experiences do not fit within the scope of certain essay topics. In this case, would it be helpful to set out some of my experiences in greater detail in the resume?

Thanks!
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Application Process - Conveying Past Experiences  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2017, 23:25
Hi. Welcome to GMAT Club!

You ideally would want your resume and your essays to work together and build on top of each other.
With many schools asking pretty off-the-wall questions such as give us 25 unique facts about you (Fuqua) or describe your greatest achievement/failure (Ross and others), you may very easily be able to include it - they often want to know your non-professional side and more than what resume has to show. To give you an idea what i meant by essays and resume working together - you want your resume to be the professional face and impress them and your essays to be your personality and your human side.

If nothing works and everything else is done, it may fit into the Optional essay many schools provide and allow (so it does not seem to be forced).

Good Luck!

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Verbal OG2019 Directory is here! - New!

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

MBA Decoder Admissions Consultant
P

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2017, 04:38
bigbanana14 wrote:
Hello,

I'm trying to learn more about the application process for MBA programs. I've done some reading and understand that there are certain elements, such as volunteering or leadership experiences, that the schools hold in high regard. What would be the best way to highlight these experiences in the application process?

The standard components of the MBA application include the 1 page resume and essay(s), and these would presumably be where the schools expect you to highlight these experiences. What if there was some experience demonstrating leadership that I've had, but which does not fit neatly into the resume and is not relevant to the essay topics (an ad-hoc incident not related to employment or extra curriculars for instance)? What would be the best way to highlight these to the admissions committee?

The resume, essays (depending upon essay questions) and the online application forms are good places to cover this info. I will talk about each one separately:

Resume: a one page resume is enough to give a snapshot of your profile, The focus is always on the actions you took and the results you achieved. So this would not give you sufficient space to get into the details of any activities. Every pointer would typically be a line to two lines.

Essay: if your stories befit the essay question being asked then you can use it, even if its a personal (and relevant story). Stories which reveal positive stuff about your personality and show the impact you have are considered good.

Online form: the data forms of many b-schools have a whole lot of questions where you can mention about your interests, hobbies, volunteering work etc. This may be the place for you to highlight your leadership stories.

Optional essay: As BB pointed out, if your material does not seem to fit anywhere, but you think it will be crucial for presenting a complete picture of your candidacy, then the optional essay can be a place to cover this info.

bigbanana14 wrote:
On a related note, are the entries in the resume scrutinized as closely and given as much weight as what is set out in the essays? I'm asking this because some of my stronger experiences do not fit within the scope of certain essay topics. In this case, would it be helpful to set out some of my experiences in greater detail in the resume?

Thanks!

As I mentioned above, the resume has sufficient space for snapshots of your experiences only. It also brings all your experiences together at one place, helping the reader get a complete picture by looking at just one page. You will not have the space to get descriptive.
Its not possible to say which component between the essay and the resume have what weightage- both serve different purposes. Having said that, be sure that the admissions person reading your resume would have only 2-3 minutes to look at it, so it should be very, very crisp. The essays ofcourse, give you a chance to detail your experiences.

Namita Garg,
http://www.mbadecoder.com
Call me on my cellphone: +91 9901566772
Contact us at: contact@mbadecoder.com

We are accepting applicants for mid-October/November deadlines

SERVICES| PROFILE DISCUSSION | BLOG

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2017, 23:43
Thanks bb and Namita, that was very helpful.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Application Process - Conveying Past Experiences &nbs [#permalink] 08 Mar 2017, 23:43

Application Process - Conveying Past Experiences

new topic post reply Update application status  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap