It is currently 23 Jan 2018, 08:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Ask ApplicantLab

  new topic post reply Update application status  
Author Message
Admission Consultant
User avatar
S
Status: Application Consultant
Affiliations: IvyLeagueEdge
Joined: 13 Jul 2016
Posts: 147
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Yale (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
WE: Operations (Other)
Re: Ask ApplicantLab [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2017, 23:19
Luckisnoexcuse wrote:
Hi Maria
Please evaluate my profile and suggest points of improvement and my chances at the below-listed schools

Male
Age : 28
Nationality : Indian
GMAT : 740 (Q51 V38 IR 6 AWA 5)

Grad: Masters in Business Economics (Delhi University) with Marketing & Quantitative Techniques in Business as Dual Majors (Second Division)
- Elected Placement Team Member. Ideated and launched double internship program.

UGrad : BTech in Computer Science & Engineering from CSA University (First Class)
- Elected Sports Secretary, Student Engineering Society.
- Self-financed undergraduate education through part-time employment and scholarships

Work Ex : ~5.5 Years (India)

Family Business. (Two-Wheeler Dealership of TVS with 12 sub-dealership franchise)
Office Manager, June-2017 – Present
-Increased monthly sales by 20% by organizing various campaigns (Youth Apache RR 310 roadshow, Local elections vote campaign) in Q4 2017.
-Reduced the average turnaround time of bike service by 20 minutes through optimizing the entire process and efficient resource allocation without degrading service quality
-Individually sold ~90 vehicles to potential customers along with handling the sales team of 4

BHARTI AIRTEL LTD. (Policy & Regulatory Division)
Manager, Oct, 2015 – May, 2017
Bharti Airtel is a global telecommunications company with operations in 17 countries. Report to VP of Regulatory (Policy) and was responsible for research, processes streamlining, & international regulatory.
-Saved $100m annual cost to the company by providing support to win legal case against Telecom regulator; by conducting benchmarking of regulatory service-quality parameters of 33 countries; conducting interviews of C-level legal & regulatory executives of top global telecom firms & key members of global telecom associations; analyzed and presented key findings to Airtel Executive committee. Received appreciation email from company’s founder.
-Identified a cost-saving opportunity to streamline the regulatory approval process of the company’s telco infra in India; led a cross-functional (in-house & external) team of 10 in implementing the solution which resulted in 70% cost-reduction. Spoken as the most innovative initiative in the year in industry.
-Improved the efficiency of international regulatory filings by building a model that used data from 12 sources to identify improvement opportunities or flag delays.
-Managed, coached & mentored a team of three junior employees; Started and led the training session for entire legal & regulatory team on various primary and secondary research techniques.

DELOITTE US-INDIA PVT. LTD. (Advisory Division)
Associate, Nov, 2013 – Oct, 2015
-Devised market entry strategy into Sub-Saharan Africa for multi-million dollar media conglomerate seeking new inorganic growth opportunities in television broadcasting in Sub-Saharan Africa.
-Initiated the concept of ‘Deal Tracker Platform’ to help senior partners pitch their clients looking for investment/partnership opportunities in 6 industries across the globe.
-Member of USI-TMT(Technology, Media & Telecommunications) Club; Conducted cross-functional trainings on new cutting edge technologies and emerging trends in TMT sector.

ARANCA INDIA PVT. LTD. (Business Research Division)
Analyst, May, 2012 – Oct, 2013
-Engaged in market research, competitor assessment, industry benchmarking, best practice mapping, market trends, company profiles, feasibility / financial reports, ad-hoc research for the global clients.
-Conducted training sessions for various online databases to the new management recruits.

OTHER:
- Started “The Declutter Campaign” to promote donation of unused household items to the underprivileged people
- Strong follower of Dota 2 (online multiplayer strategy game)


Post MBA goals : Management Consulting in Big 4/MBB (Sector - TMT) ---> Head of corporate strategy (Telecom firm) ---> Chief Strategy Officer (Global Telecom Corporation)
Interested in : General Management and Leadership

PS: Shifted from Airtel to Family Business to support my father's health issues (Underwent operation, etc. and is perfectly fine now)
Target Schools:
Kellog
Sloan
Ross
Fuqua

Stern
UNC
McCombs
Tepper
LBS
Kelley
Said



Awesome Profile..
That said, Kellogg & Sloan will need a bit of a killer profile. Your profile would be sorta borderline with them.

Others are decently in your range, provided your goals, stories & essays, and LORs come out strong.
Did I mention you need time and dedication to prepare yourself well for them.

Feel free to discuss.
_________________

If you found my post helpful, kindly press "+1 Kudos" to appreciate :-)

The Ivy League Edge (MBA - Yale SOM)

Interviewing soon? Connect for Unlimited Mock Interviews at your convenience, and preparation with Interview Questions.

Applying for Fall 2019? PM me your resume for a FREE detailed profile evaluation.


Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/in/balkrishna/
Top20.GradSchools(at)gmail(dot)com +91-987-356-3953

Coaching success for admissions and scholarships to the World's best - MBA and MS
We take PERSONAL interest in your success.

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Applicant Lab Admissions Consultant
User avatar
B
Joined: 17 Dec 2013
Posts: 36
Location: United States
Schools: HBS - Class of 2005
Re: Ask ApplicantLab [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2017, 09:53
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi there! I had sent a PM asking for a few extra details, and I don't think (?) I heard back yet, but I don't want it to look like I'm being derelict here, so I'll just make some educated guesses then :)

Just a few observations:

- The Grad degree in business economics -- when did you get that? Was it right after college? Was it recently? If it was recently, you might need to have a REALLY good explanation as to why you NOW need a SECOND masters degree (e.g. why you didn't simply pursue an MBA the first time?) If it was one of those "I went directly post-college" situations then there is more leniency.

- The impact on the family business is impressive! If the company has the potential to employ you post-MBA (ie, if their revenue levels are high enough that they could pay you a substantial salary later that could repay your sizeable MBA student loans) then that makes it extra-promising. ONE potential strong "story" for application purposes needs to be to want to go back to the family business and continue growing it in a new / exciting way (Dealership expansion? Acquiring competitors? Online sales?) so that one day you can be CEO and the King / Queen of Two Wheelers! I know this isn't what you mentioned but this could be a good story ---> if existing business is run "old school" then you can say that your experiences working in Big Cos have given you amazing ideas for transforming the business and now you need the MBA to make it happen.

- The good news is, the the other story about consulting in TMT works too, since you DO Have a background in it from Bharti / Deloitte. I get worried when people say they want to work in TMT but their prior experience is in, say, pharma. I'd caution against making it seem like you ONLY want to work for an MBB; cast a wider net in terms of firms so mention so that it's a realistic span (you don't want them to add an extra layer of scrutiny on your profile: "Does she seem like MBB will hire her?" Application process is hard enough; why make it harder on yourself?

- Bharti is a Big Name Company to work for, but regulatory type work is usually seen as being pretty boring, in the grand scheme of things. I'd downplay this experience a teeny bit in the application just because it's more "Academic" in nature (research; submitting filings) vs. action-oriented (work at family business; work at Deloitte)

- Glad to hear your dad's ok now. You can mention this career shift either in the core essays or in the optional essay -- you'll just need to "map" out where the story fits best in each school

- Also glad to see a range of schools on your list. This profile might be a bit more of a challenge at Sloan, LBS, and Said (your GMAT's good for Said but I'm getting a 'We look for world-changers' social enterprise vibe from them)

- If you're looking to apply next year, you could aim for the Early round at Duke.


Thanks!,
Maria


Luckisnoexcuse wrote:
Hi Maria
Please evaluate my profile and suggest points of improvement and my chances at the below-listed schools

Male
Age : 28
Nationality : Indian
GMAT : 740 (Q51 V38 IR 6 AWA 5)

Grad: Masters in Business Economics (Delhi University) with Marketing & Quantitative Techniques in Business as Dual Majors (Second Division)
- Elected Placement Team Member. Ideated and launched double internship program.

UGrad : BTech in Computer Science & Engineering from CSA University (First Class)
- Elected Sports Secretary, Student Engineering Society.
- Self-financed undergraduate education through part-time employment and scholarships

Work Ex : ~5.5 Years (India)

Family Business. (Two-Wheeler Dealership of TVS with 12 sub-dealership franchise)
Office Manager, June-2017 – Present
-Increased monthly sales by 20% by organizing various campaigns (Youth Apache RR 310 roadshow, Local elections vote campaign) in Q4 2017.
-Reduced the average turnaround time of bike service by 20 minutes through optimizing the entire process and efficient resource allocation without degrading service quality
-Individually sold ~90 vehicles to potential customers along with handling the sales team of 4

BHARTI AIRTEL LTD. (Policy & Regulatory Division)
Manager, Oct, 2015 – May, 2017
Bharti Airtel is a global telecommunications company with operations in 17 countries. Report to VP of Regulatory (Policy) and was responsible for research, processes streamlining, & international regulatory.
-Saved $100m annual cost to the company by providing support to win legal case against Telecom regulator; by conducting benchmarking of regulatory service-quality parameters of 33 countries; conducting interviews of C-level legal & regulatory executives of top global telecom firms & key members of global telecom associations; analyzed and presented key findings to Airtel Executive committee. Received appreciation email from company’s founder.
-Identified a cost-saving opportunity to streamline the regulatory approval process of the company’s telco infra in India; led a cross-functional (in-house & external) team of 10 in implementing the solution which resulted in 70% cost-reduction. Spoken as the most innovative initiative in the year in industry.
-Improved the efficiency of international regulatory filings by building a model that used data from 12 sources to identify improvement opportunities or flag delays.
-Managed, coached & mentored a team of three junior employees; Started and led the training session for entire legal & regulatory team on various primary and secondary research techniques.

DELOITTE US-INDIA PVT. LTD. (Advisory Division)
Associate, Nov, 2013 – Oct, 2015
-Devised market entry strategy into Sub-Saharan Africa for multi-million dollar media conglomerate seeking new inorganic growth opportunities in television broadcasting in Sub-Saharan Africa.
-Initiated the concept of ‘Deal Tracker Platform’ to help senior partners pitch their clients looking for investment/partnership opportunities in 6 industries across the globe.
-Member of USI-TMT(Technology, Media & Telecommunications) Club; Conducted cross-functional trainings on new cutting edge technologies and emerging trends in TMT sector.

ARANCA INDIA PVT. LTD. (Business Research Division)
Analyst, May, 2012 – Oct, 2013
-Engaged in market research, competitor assessment, industry benchmarking, best practice mapping, market trends, company profiles, feasibility / financial reports, ad-hoc research for the global clients.
-Conducted training sessions for various online databases to the new management recruits.

OTHER:
- Started “The Declutter Campaign” to promote donation of unused household items to the underprivileged people
- Strong follower of Dota 2 (online multiplayer strategy game)


Post MBA goals : Management Consulting in Big 4/MBB (Sector - TMT) ---> Head of corporate strategy (Telecom firm) ---> Chief Strategy Officer (Global Telecom Corporation)
Interested in : General Management and Leadership

PS: Shifted from Airtel to Family Business to support my father's health issues (Underwent operation, etc. and is perfectly fine now)
Target Schools:
Kellog
Sloan
Ross
Fuqua

Stern
UNC
McCombs
Tepper
LBS
Kelley
Said

_________________

What is ApplicantLab?

The only MBA admissions service endorsed by Harvard Business School's student newspaper, ApplicantLab takes admissions consultants' tools and puts them in your hands, teaching you how admissions officers think. It guides you through your strategy, essays for all of your schools, resume, recommendations, and even interviews.

Learn more now:

Free Trial / GMATClub Reviews / Founder's interview with the HBS student newspaper

Director
Director
User avatar
P
Joined: 18 Aug 2016
Posts: 627
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 740 Q51 V38
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Ask ApplicantLab [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2017, 10:06
ApplicantLab wrote:
Hi there! I had sent a PM asking for a few extra details, and I don't think (?) I heard back yet, but I don't want it to look like I'm being derelict here, so I'll just make some educated guesses then :)

Just a few observations:

- The Grad degree in business economics -- when did you get that? Was it right after college? Was it recently? If it was recently, you might need to have a REALLY good explanation as to why you NOW need a SECOND masters degree (e.g. why you didn't simply pursue an MBA the first time?) If it was one of those "I went directly post-college" situations then there is more leniency.

- The impact on the family business is impressive! If the company has the potential to employ you post-MBA (ie, if their revenue levels are high enough that they could pay you a substantial salary later that could repay your sizeable MBA student loans) then that makes it extra-promising. ONE potential strong "story" for application purposes needs to be to want to go back to the family business and continue growing it in a new / exciting way (Dealership expansion? Acquiring competitors? Online sales?) so that one day you can be CEO and the King / Queen of Two Wheelers! I know this isn't what you mentioned but this could be a good story ---> if existing business is run "old school" then you can say that your experiences working in Big Cos have given you amazing ideas for transforming the business and now you need the MBA to make it happen.

- The good news is, the the other story about consulting in TMT works too, since you DO Have a background in it from Bharti / Deloitte. I get worried when people say they want to work in TMT but their prior experience is in, say, pharma. I'd caution against making it seem like you ONLY want to work for an MBB; cast a wider net in terms of firms so mention so that it's a realistic span (you don't want them to add an extra layer of scrutiny on your profile: "Does she seem like MBB will hire her?" Application process is hard enough; why make it harder on yourself?

- Bharti is a Big Name Company to work for, but regulatory type work is usually seen as being pretty boring, in the grand scheme of things. I'd downplay this experience a teeny bit in the application just because it's more "Academic" in nature (research; submitting filings) vs. action-oriented (work at family business; work at Deloitte)

- Glad to hear your dad's ok now. You can mention this career shift either in the core essays or in the optional essay -- you'll just need to "map" out where the story fits best in each school

- Also glad to see a range of schools on your list. This profile might be a bit more of a challenge at Sloan, LBS, and Said (your GMAT's good for Said but I'm getting a 'We look for world-changers' social enterprise vibe from them)

- If you're looking to apply next year, you could aim for the Early round at Duke.


Thanks!,
Maria


Luckisnoexcuse wrote:
Hi Maria
Please evaluate my profile and suggest points of improvement and my chances at the below-listed schools

Male
Age : 28
Nationality : Indian
GMAT : 740 (Q51 V38 IR 6 AWA 5)

Grad: Masters in Business Economics (Delhi University) with Marketing & Quantitative Techniques in Business as Dual Majors (Second Division)
- Elected Placement Team Member. Ideated and launched double internship program.

UGrad : BTech in Computer Science & Engineering from CSA University (First Class)
- Elected Sports Secretary, Student Engineering Society.
- Self-financed undergraduate education through part-time employment and scholarships

Work Ex : ~5.5 Years (India)

Family Business. (Two-Wheeler Dealership of TVS with 12 sub-dealership franchise)
Office Manager, June-2017 – Present
-Increased monthly sales by 20% by organizing various campaigns (Youth Apache RR 310 roadshow, Local elections vote campaign) in Q4 2017.
-Reduced the average turnaround time of bike service by 20 minutes through optimizing the entire process and efficient resource allocation without degrading service quality
-Individually sold ~90 vehicles to potential customers along with handling the sales team of 4

BHARTI AIRTEL LTD. (Policy & Regulatory Division)
Manager, Oct, 2015 – May, 2017
Bharti Airtel is a global telecommunications company with operations in 17 countries. Report to VP of Regulatory (Policy) and was responsible for research, processes streamlining, & international regulatory.
-Saved $100m annual cost to the company by providing support to win legal case against Telecom regulator; by conducting benchmarking of regulatory service-quality parameters of 33 countries; conducting interviews of C-level legal & regulatory executives of top global telecom firms & key members of global telecom associations; analyzed and presented key findings to Airtel Executive committee. Received appreciation email from company’s founder.
-Identified a cost-saving opportunity to streamline the regulatory approval process of the company’s telco infra in India; led a cross-functional (in-house & external) team of 10 in implementing the solution which resulted in 70% cost-reduction. Spoken as the most innovative initiative in the year in industry.
-Improved the efficiency of international regulatory filings by building a model that used data from 12 sources to identify improvement opportunities or flag delays.
-Managed, coached & mentored a team of three junior employees; Started and led the training session for entire legal & regulatory team on various primary and secondary research techniques.

DELOITTE US-INDIA PVT. LTD. (Advisory Division)
Associate, Nov, 2013 – Oct, 2015
-Devised market entry strategy into Sub-Saharan Africa for multi-million dollar media conglomerate seeking new inorganic growth opportunities in television broadcasting in Sub-Saharan Africa.
-Initiated the concept of ‘Deal Tracker Platform’ to help senior partners pitch their clients looking for investment/partnership opportunities in 6 industries across the globe.
-Member of USI-TMT(Technology, Media & Telecommunications) Club; Conducted cross-functional trainings on new cutting edge technologies and emerging trends in TMT sector.

ARANCA INDIA PVT. LTD. (Business Research Division)
Analyst, May, 2012 – Oct, 2013
-Engaged in market research, competitor assessment, industry benchmarking, best practice mapping, market trends, company profiles, feasibility / financial reports, ad-hoc research for the global clients.
-Conducted training sessions for various online databases to the new management recruits.

OTHER:
- Started “The Declutter Campaign” to promote donation of unused household items to the underprivileged people
- Strong follower of Dota 2 (online multiplayer strategy game)


Post MBA goals : Management Consulting in Big 4/MBB (Sector - TMT) ---> Head of corporate strategy (Telecom firm) ---> Chief Strategy Officer (Global Telecom Corporation)
Interested in : General Management and Leadership

PS: Shifted from Airtel to Family Business to support my father's health issues (Underwent operation, etc. and is perfectly fine now)
Target Schools:
Kellog
Sloan
Ross
Fuqua

Stern
UNC
McCombs
Tepper
LBS
Kelley
Said

Hi Maria,

Thanks for replying.Apologies..I was not able to get back to you on those ques..
The Grad degree in business economics was in 2010-2012. I am going to say that need more experiential learning (previous was more theoretical) and international diversity exposure towards my ST & LT goals. Also i need a bigger cohort to be able to learn more from collaborative peer-to-peer learning as previously my batch size was small and not much diverse (60)

I want to stick to my original plan of TMT consulting (target is top consulting firms such as Deloitte, Bain, MBB,....)

"- Glad to hear your dad's ok now. You can mention this career shift either in the core essays or in the optional essay -- you'll just need to "map" out where the story fits best in each school "..Thank you, Yes will explain in optional essay whereever required (basis school)

My target is R2 this year only and working full time on them these days (irrespective of where i am sitting/working)
Essays are taking shape ...

Keeping fingers crossed
:)
_________________

We must try to achieve the best within us


Thanks
Luckisnoexcuse

Expert Post
Applicant Lab Admissions Consultant
User avatar
B
Joined: 17 Dec 2013
Posts: 36
Location: United States
Schools: HBS - Class of 2005
Re: Ask ApplicantLab [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2017, 10:25
Luckisnoexcuse wrote:
My target is R2 this year only and working full time on them these days (irrespective of where i am sitting/working)
Essays are taking shape ...

Keeping fingers crossed
:)



Sounds great! JUST IN CASE you need help powering through so many schools' applications, in the ApplicantLab I have detailed step-by-step advice for how to tackle the essays for all of the schools on your list, from Duke's "25 things" to the NYU "pick six" to McComb's video introducing yourself.

Just mentioning in case it could be a useful resource -- it gives access to all schools' advice for what consultants like me usually charge for merely one hour of our time. If you're a self-starter (which it seems like you certainly are!) it could be a great way to guide / check your own work as you power through the next few weeks!



End shameless plug here
,
Maria :)
_________________

What is ApplicantLab?

The only MBA admissions service endorsed by Harvard Business School's student newspaper, ApplicantLab takes admissions consultants' tools and puts them in your hands, teaching you how admissions officers think. It guides you through your strategy, essays for all of your schools, resume, recommendations, and even interviews.

Learn more now:

Free Trial / GMATClub Reviews / Founder's interview with the HBS student newspaper

Re: Ask ApplicantLab   [#permalink] 24 Dec 2017, 10:25

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 24 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Ask ApplicantLab

  new topic post reply Update application status  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.