It is currently 16 Dec 2017, 16:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates

new topic post reply Update application status  
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 33 [1], given: 0

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2017, 20:02
This post received
KUDOS
abhishekdhar wrote:
Hello Sameer,

Thanks in advance for taking out your valuable time to evaluate each profile. I really appreciate your efforts.

I am a 33 years old Indian male, having 10 years of experience. I am looking for Full-Time MBA program at top b-schools in USA/Canada.

Program Interest:
* Full-Time MBA, area of concentration in Product Development / Technology Consultation / Innovation / Information Systems

<<snip>>

5. Can you please suggest me list of best colleges I should consider for area of my interest (Product Development / Technology Consultation / Innovation)?
6. Is July/August 2017 right time to give my GMAT, or should I target further than that (considering my daily work schedule of 12 to 14 Hrs)?
7. Will I be eligible for any scholarship or financial support from MBA schools?

Consider the following points Abhishek:
  1. Your current profile sounds good, especially the team leadership bit. As you already have an inkling of, you would be a bit of an outlier for many traditional 2 year US programs out there. Read the article here for some more perspective on this. In this context, you should also explore specialized programs such as Sloan Fellows/Stan MSx.
  2. From a timeline perspective, July will be good. Read here for a bit of time planning.
  3. Scholarships are virtually impossible to predict. In general though, lower you target, better are the prospects for it.

Hope this helps some.

Cheers,

MG (Manish Gupta)|The MBA Crystal Ball Team

Email: mcb at mbacrystalball dot com

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2017, 21:58
Hi sameer,

Kindly evaluate my profile for ISB/ Top 20 us MBA.

Age - 27 years
Indian male

Academic-
10th- 85%
12th- 62% ( had science but lost interest in same)
BBA in banking and insurance from IP University Maharaja Surajmal college ( 64%)
JAIIB AND CAIIB (DIPLOMA IN FINANCE AND BANKING FROK IIBF)
CFA LEVEL 1 IN 2014, GIVING CFA LEVEL 2 IN JUNE.
TARGET GMAT - 750 ( preparing after CFA L2)

Work experience-
Worked in Barclay's bank bpo in India for 7 months as proceeds advisor was promoted internally in same ( no proof though)
I left it to give bank Po exam was preparing for same when i had a major accident and couldn't walk for 6 months , cleared bank Po exam in between ( working in a nationalised bank since 2012 February) also cleared the ibps exam at good marks. Have call letter of SBI associates bank also , though joined my bank earlier.
Have worked in 5 different branches at various positions and departments , mostly as credit officer and second line in charge , joined as po( assistant manager) and promoted last year as manager , have lead the branch and managed it completely as second line with few appreciation letters also . Did various responsibilities ( especially involving software migration of bank, govt schemes implementation , have given hundreds of loans [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES], worked at forex department also, declined to be branch manager this year coz of CFA study , i train new officers and do their review also, i understand the govt banking business well and don't see much scope here )
Have completed 5 years working here and have broadly two options -
1. Give GMAT this year and apply for MBA.
2. Wait till next year and become branch manager , hold the post for a year or so to increase my chances of MBA admission while giving CFA L3 next year.
My real interest lies in investing ( invest myself and read about it a lot excluding CFA)

Aim- Career transition into consulting / international banking / general management

Ec- i write poems ( have written few) and associated with a project in IIT Delhi for value education ( not much paper proof though).

I have few doubts-
1.Should I focus on becoming branch manager for mba admission and lost MBA jobs ( won't be able to complete CFA then).
2. Or should i get my CFA and gmat scores ready this year for MBA application, also i also have serious doubts on post MBA placement in USA due to the new lottery visa system .

Markinson

Sent from my XT1572 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2017, 22:03
markinson wrote:
Hi sameer,

Age - 27 years
Indian male

Academic-

<<snip>>

2. Or should i get my CFA and gmat scores ready this year for MBA application, also i also have serious doubts on post MBA placement in USA due to the new lottery visa system .

Markinson

The following should help you Markinson:
  1. Your profile looks pretty interesting and non-common. The slight gap should be clearly explained in your optional essay to ensure you don't get any negative points for that.
  2. If you are convinced of an MBA, I don't see the reason to wait another year. Many candidates complete their CFA charter together with MBA - so you should go ahead and complete it as it will help post-MBA.
  3. The ECs sound a bit weak. Being a closet poet wouldn't help much on the application itself. That is an area worth either working on or being aware of as a potential handicap.
  4. The US visa situation is still evolving so it is early to shut it out completely as an option. For now, I recommend keeping that option open.

Cheers,

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 37

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2017, 02:34
Hi All,
I am also one of those aspirants, but my profile is totally different. To start with, I have already completed my PGDM from IMI Kolkata(2015). I know this sounds weird, but my dream of graduating from a premier b school has not been fufilled. To give about my past. I completed engineering in 2010 and worked for 1.5 yrs. Then I had to enter my family business, post which I went for MBA in 2013. I got around 85%ile in XAT and 80%ile odd in CAT in 2012. Unfortunately, could not get through better colleges. Although, IMI Kolkata is not bad, but, it's just that I am not satisfied with where I am right now. Had to go for MBA, since I had no job at that time(only family business). Since 2015, I am working in a food delivery startup called Swiggy as an Area Manager. hoping for some news during appraisal. Should I go for GMAT(based on my preparation) at end of this year or next year and then for second MBA(one year course if I get through) in 2019.

I know I am the odd one out and also might not be amongst the young ones. After joining Swiggy, I didn't had this second MBA in my mind, but my desire to achieve has propelled me to get into GMAT. Have attached a pic of what materials(soft copy) that I have. Apart from this, I also have OG GMAT 2016(hard copy). Would be obliged if you can share few points as to how to go about with my preparation. I would like to give a shot at the end of this year once. My total experience at present is around 3.5 yrs(excluding 18 months of family business, which is mostly retail).

Highlights:
1) X-77.8%
2) XII-73.25%
3) B.Tech-1st division, 63% from Gautam Buddh Technical University, Lucknow(2006-2010).
4) PGDM- From International Management Institute Kolkata(2013-2015) in Operations Management.
5) From September of 2011 to March of 2013, I was in family business due to personal reasons.
6) Currently working as an Area Manager(field operations) in Swiggy, since August 2015 & also in an NGO(part time).
7) My biggest draw back is my age. I am already 30 yrs as on today.
8) Total experience-3.5 yrs(excluding 1.5 yrs of family business experience).

My concerns:
1) How Indian b schools or foreign b schools would see a candidate like me.
2) After completing PGDM in 2015, is the gap of 4 yrs(2019) sufficient enough to justify my decision.
3) Should I go ahead with my preparation, considering my age?
4) Can I add family business as work experience and will it be of any help to me?
Attachments

GMAT MATERIAL.jpg
GMAT MATERIAL.jpg [ 61.94 KiB | Viewed 705 times ]

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 37

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2017, 07:56
MG4MBACrystalBall wrote:
markinson wrote:
Hi sameer,

Age - 27 years
Indian male

Academic-

<<snip>>

Markinson

The following should help you Markinson:
  1. Your profile looks pretty interesting and non-common. The slight gap should be clearly explained in your optional essay to ensure you don't get any negative points for that.
  2. If you are convinced of an MBA, I don't see the reason to wait another year. Many candidates complete their CFA charter together with MBA - so you should go ahead and complete it as it will help post-MBA.
  3. The ECs sound a bit weak. Being a closet poet wouldn't help much on the application itself. That is an area worth either working on or being aware of as a potential handicap.
  4. The US visa situation is still evolving so it is early to shut it out completely as an option. For now, I recommend keeping that option open.

Cheers,

Thanks Sameer,
My last and only doubt is that i was given an impression that being a branch manager at the bank will increase my "quality of work experience" and hence increase my chances for admit to top 10 US MBA multifold, is this information correct? Should i first become a branch manager, hold it for a year or so and then apply or it won't make much of a difference?

Thanks,
Markinson

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2017, 23:24
justnishu4u wrote:
Hi All,
I am also one of those aspirants, but my profile is totally different. To start with, I have already completed my PGDM from IMI Kolkata(2015). I know this sounds weird, but my dream of graduating from a premier b school has not been fufilled. To give about my past. I completed engineering in 2010 and worked for 1.5 yrs.

<<snip>>

4) Can I add family business as work experience and will it be of any help to me?

Consider the following justnishu4u:
  1. Second MBAs are becoming increasingly popular and you are definitely not in thin company. Read the article here for our perspective on this.
  2. The above article should help you decide some on whether to go ahead with this. Beyond that, it is really a personal/professional decision.
  3. Family business can definitely be added as professional experience. Given that, I think you should be well poised for the plan.
  4. I am afraid that we aren't really the experts on GMAT. But you will find a lot of useful material on our website here.

Cheers,

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2017, 23:30
markinson wrote:
Thanks Sameer,
My last and only doubt is that i was given an impression that being a branch manager at the bank will increase my "quality of work experience" and hence increase my chances for admit to top 10 US MBA multifold, is this information correct? Should i first become a branch manager, hold it for a year or so and then apply or it won't make much of a difference?

Thanks,
Markinson

The branch manager thing will definitely add heft to the profile Markinson and might be worth waiting for.

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 190

Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.68
Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2017, 04:03
Hi Sameer & Manish,

I'm really hoping you can give me some advice on the dilemma I'm currently in. Allow me to explain.

I am a Computer Science engineering graduate from a top non IIT/NIT school based in Bangalore. I have a total of about 9 years of experience, 8 years in a top tier tech firm starting as a Developer and working my way up to an Associate Product Manager. Then, in 2015, I went on to start a venture with a co-founder (I was CEO) in the mobile space which was shut down recently.

I sat for GMAT and applied to several universities in the US, Canada, India and Singapore. At the end of the application season, I have managed to secure admits from several schools in the US (Cornell etc.), Canada, ISB and NUS. After much deliberation, I am now deciding between ISB and NUS Singapore (with a substantial scholarship). Honestly, I'm leaning towards NUS because of the ROI and economic and political stability (compared to the US or EU). Post MBA, I'd like to go back into the technology industry in a Product Management function. I'm also very open to Program Management or Business Development as well.

Hence, it becomes essential for me to understand a few key elements to be able to make a right choice at this pivotal juncture of my career:
1. the technology market in Singapore and it's prospects in the coming years for someone who wishes to work in the above-mentioned functions.
2. the value of the NUS brand in Singapore and in the region compared to other schools in the eyes of top tier employers.
3. any information on the legal / government related difficulties expats face to secure an E-Pass enabling them to work in SG

At the end of the day, I'd like some advice on which school to pick between the two given the background and my future aspirations. Please help!

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 190

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2017, 22:28
ashman843 wrote:
Hi Sameer & Manish,

I'm really hoping you can give me some advice on the dilemma I'm currently in. Allow me to explain.

I am a Computer Science engineering graduate from a top non IIT/NIT school based in Bangalore. I have a total of about 9 years of experience, 8 years in a top tier tech firm starting as a Developer and working my way up to an Associate Product Manager. Then, in 2015, I went on to start a venture with a co-founder (I

<<snip>>

At the end of the day, I'd like some advice on which school to pick between the two given the background and my future aspirations. Please help!

Congrats on the multiple admits ashman843.

It will be good to understand what apart from Cornell do you have in your kitty.

The following is a bit of a generalization. I am sure you are doing research specific to your career focus within the tech space. In general, there is a lot more action on the tech side in the US than in S'pore. We've heard similar issues in the work permit aspect in s'pore as in the US. A brand like Cornell is definitely bigger across the world compared to NUS. So my vote would probably still be to US top schools. Of course, if you are ok with life/career in Indian, then ISB is a great choice for sure.

Hope this helps some.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 8

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2017, 18:45
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi

I am a typical Indian IT Male with following profile. Request for evaluation:

Education:

1. ICSE [10th] - 88%
2. ISC [12th] - 80%
3. B.Tech [CSE] - Private Engg College in India - 8.24/10 [GPA 3.3]
4. Executive Program for Young Professionals [EPYP] - IIM Calcutta - 1 year Online course - Grade Good

Work Experience:

1. Overall experience of 10 years, worked as Test Lead for 5+ years
2. Managed teams of upto 30+ members, including delivering and managing testing engagements for MNC clients
3. Onsite position for a year
4. Worked as Sales Analyst reporting to CEO, individually responsible for multiple geographies and improvising sales reports/analysis for better funnel optimization.
5. Excellent in establishing quality assurance program including general criteria for system reviews, a software metrics & measurement program that included software quality, estimation, bench marking, productivity, risk analysis & cost information for software developers & business
6. Worked as a Product Owner and Business Analyst for various projects during my tenure.

Technical Certifications:

ISTQB® Certified Technical Test Analyst
ISTQB® Certified Test Analyst
ISTQB® Certified Test Manager
ISTQB® Certified Tester Foundation Level

ITIL v3® Foundation

HP QuickTest Professional 9.2
HP Quality Center 10.0

PMI – PBA®
PMI – ACP® [Scrum Master]
SAFe® 4.0 Product Manager/Product Owner

PMP®
Prince2 Foundation and Practiotioner
CompTIA Project+

Extra Curricular:

1. Pursued Rabindra Sangeet [form of Music] and Fine Arts Diploma Course
2. Participated and organized numerous cultural programs and events in office
3. Toastmasters member
4. Volunteered in charity events
5. Participated in various Music and Fine Arts competitions
6. State level badminton player, played tournaments as well

Request for information:

Intro - Mainly targeting one year MBA programs viz - INSEAD, IMD, SBS, JBS, and IIM ABCs
Reason for MBA - Major - career change into Consulting/ Minor - Career Growth

1. Please suggest on overall profile fitment and best matching schools
2. GMAT Score range [if possible]
3. Any relevant advice

Many thanks for taking time out. Really appreciate!

Regards

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 8

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2017, 21:48
This post received
KUDOS
GODSBENEDICTION wrote:
Hi

I am a typical Indian IT Male with following profile. Request for evaluation:

Education:

1. ICSE [10th] - 88%

<<snip>>

3. Any relevant advice

Many thanks for taking time out. Really appreciate!

Regards

A few reflections on your profile and questions GODSBENEDICTION:
  1. Your profile evolution looks pretty good. Moving from a test role into a BA position is not common and should help you differentiate well. Even so, the move into Consulting after MBA needs to be explained a bit better. What kind of consulting for instance. It will also be important to understand the nature of brands you've been associated with.
  2. For reasons mentioned here, we do not speculate on school selection. Purely from an age/experience perspective, it would be prudent to consider the likes of IMD, IIMs and maybe Judge.
  3. Higher the better is really the mantra on GMAT. If you need a target, aim for 20+ points higher than a given school's average to be away from harm's way ideally. Again, no set rules here; read this.

Hope this helps some.

Cheers,

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2017, 02:54
How important is international experience for MBA programs like INSEAD?
As if GMAT, good GPA, solid team lead experience and what not weren’t enough, now that you’ve decided to take the plunge, you hear of this new beast – international work experience. MBA forums are abuzz with presumptuous and incorrect views about how programs such as INSEAD will reject applicants for not having international experience.

Let’s try to demystify the what, where, how and why of it through this post and then some more.
Read more

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2017, 22:48
Hi Manish, appreciate your significant efforts for providing the suggestions/guidance to future MBA aspirants, I am also one of them:-) looking forward to a one-year MBA from abroad (USA or Canada), need your help to evaluate my profile and suitability to the International business schools.
I have total 11 years in IT, started as a software developer, moved on to project management roles and eventually to business consulting role from last 4 years, most of my experience is international across different geographies (6.5 years in USA working for multiple fortune 500 clients, 1 Year in UK, 2 Months in Japan).
I was with same organization from last 11 years and recently joined a new organization
I am already working as a business consultant and successfully delivered many strategic consulting projects advising clients on their global digital CX strategy (Whirlpool USA, FCA NA,Eaton Corporation NA, Ingersoll Rand NA, NISSAN Motors Japan, JLR etc.)
Post MBA I wanted to pursue my career in same stream
Below are my profile details for your reference.
10th - 76%
12th - 88%
BE - 74%
Total Experience – 11.3 years (7.5 Years International)
GMAT Target: 710-730 (Planning in July-August)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2017, 02:40
udaysingh wrote:
Hi Manish, appreciate your significant efforts for providing the suggestions/guidance to future MBA aspirants, I am also one of them:-) looking forward to a one-year MBA from abroad (USA or Canada), need your help to evaluate my profile and suitability to the International business schools.
I have total 11 years in IT, started as a software developer, moved on to project management roles and eventually to business consulting role from last 4 years,

<<snip>>

GMAT Target: 710-730 (Planning in July-August)

Thanks for your post Uday. Here are a few reflections on your profile:
  1. The transition into Consulting is pretty good and not very common. That also begets the question of why MBA. So make sure you have a robust answer there.
  2. On a similar lines, MBA after 30 is tricky (read here). That is even more the case with US programs. If you are keen, I would suggest you explore specialized programs such as Sloan Fellows/Stan MSx. If your employer backs you up, you may even want to look at EMBAs (it's not very often that I suggest that route btw).
  3. Finally, you have not provided anything outside of work in your profile. That too is a critical leg when it comes to top schools and hope you have something there

Cheers,

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 05 May 2017, 21:31
Hi

I would like to know in which B-Schools amongst the Top 20 do I stand a chance. Preferred location would be Asia/Europe, but if its a strong brand then US also works. I gave my GMAT last year but didnot apply to any schools. Thinking to apply for the 2018 admission batch. Please also suggest if I stand a chance at getting scholarships at any of the schools you suggest.

Indian Male 25 years

Scores/ Grades :
10th (CBSE) - 92%
12th (CBSE) - 92%
GPA [BTech CSE from SRM Univ, 4 years] - 8.5(on a scale of10)
GMAT [gave in Nov 2016] - 710 (Q-48 V-40 IR-7 AW-5.5)

Work Ex [3 years during college + 4 years after that] -
1. Did a startup during college for 3 years.
2. After College joined the largest decision sciences company as an Analyst. Was there for 2 years
3. Currently, leading the Data Sciences team at a FinTech Startup. Have been here for 2 years as well. Apart from the Data Sciences, ML and AI part of what I do, I have been working directly with CxOs here to help them do data informed strategising, projections etc.

Strong Points -
a. Awards
1. Was awarded 50% Scholarship in my college. Rest of the expenses I managed from the money I made doing the startup in college.
2. Was awarded for every project that I was part of in my first Company, where I have had experience working with Fortune 100 clients across Retail, Pharma and Technology verticals

b. Leadership
1. In my previous company, while I was being trained as a Fresher, I pointed out that the sequence of coursework is very haphazard and consecutively I helped them design the new coursework that was used for batches after me.
2. Was leading a team of 6 analyst for a Pharma client delivering high impact data informed decisions
3. Have been responsible for creating the team, infrastructure and roadmap for data sciences at the current startup I work at
4. Have not only worked with strategising product and business models but have also closely worked with the founders to get the projections right
5. Have taken incharge of my life financially from a very early age. No loan from bank or friends or family. Have self paid for my education.
6. Self learner- self taught guitarist, photographer and UI designer.

c. Technical
1. Have created credit underwriting models equally accurate when compared to traditional credit underwriting models using alternate data (non-financial data)
2. Have worked on creating BI infrastructures, predictive engines and pipelines for Fortune 100 clients as well startups]

Weak Points -
1. No International Exposure - Have never visited outside India for any purpose yet. However, I have lived in different parts of India with completely different cultures. I hail from Bihar, but have lived in Kolkatta, Mumbai, Chenna and Bangalore
2. No formal Social work experience, apart from visiting and donating to orphanages once in a while.

Thanks for taking your time out and helping students like us. :)

Cheers!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2017, 03:54
flyharsh wrote:
Hi

I would like to know in which B-Schools amongst the Top 20 do I stand a chance. Preferred location would be Asia/Europe, but if its a strong brand then US also works. I gave my GMAT last year but didnot apply to any schools. Thinking to apply for the 2018 admission batch. Please also suggest if I stand a chance at getting scholarships at any of the schools you suggest.

Indian Male 25 years

<<snip>>

2. No formal Social work experience, apart from visiting and donating to orphanages once in a while.

Thanks for taking your time out and helping students like us. :)

Cheers!

Consider the following points Harsh:
  1. Your work profile sounds quite impressive overall. The college startup is good but will be useful to understand nature of work there. While your workplace achievements are definitely good, make sure you are also able to showcase those through some tangible differentiation compared to peers.
  2. Don't consider lack of social work as a weak point necessarily. You need some ECs but they don't have to be social/volunteer work only. Read here as to why adcoms want to see something on this front.
  3. Given your EU focus, the lack of international experience might be slightly challenging; read this. So yes, US should ideally be in your consideration set too.
  4. For reasons mentioned here, we do not speculate on school selection. That said, with a potentially improved GMAT score, things can be definitely very attractive for you in general - assuming of course that your overall post-MBA plans make sense from a story point of view.

Hope this helps some.

Cheers,

Intern
Intern
S

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 268

GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.9
WE: Business Development (Consumer Electronics)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2017, 20:47
deleted post

Last edited by mltr2018 on 15 Oct 2017, 17:08, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 268

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2017, 22:31
praveensingh07 wrote:
Hello,

I would like to know my chances for admit in target B-Schools (Insead, LBS, Judge, IIM-A.B.C, Nanyang, NUS)

Indian Male 33 years old.

Scores/ Grades :
10th (Rajasthan Board) - 75%
12th (Rajasthan Board) - 78%

<<snip>>

2. Age on higher side

Regards
Praveen

Consider the following points Praveen:
  1. Your work profile looks pretty good and Program Management experience will be really valuable since it comes close to showing transferable skills.
  2. The post-MBA plan and overall story, as well as your community work can all be tied together nicely - another plus for sure.
  3. Most schools still don't care about IR however they do look at AWA - anything below 4.5 is a bit of an aberration. Since you've effected a big jump on the overall score, if you think there is room for more, it might be worth considering another shot. If however you are done with the rigmarole of GMAT, put it behind and focus on other parts of the application.
  4. For reasons mentioned here, we do not speculate on school selection. From an age/experience perspective though, the IIMs and Judge will be better. You should also consider IMD. Apart from this, you may want to check feasibility of the likes of LBS Fellows/Stan MSx/MIT Fellows programs.

Hope this helps some.

Cheers,

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2017, 09:10
Hi Manish,

I would like you to evaluate my profile.
Male/Indian/25/Plan to apply for Fall of 2019(Will have 4 years work exp by the time I join)
GMAT: 650 (Q48, V33, AWA 5.5, IR 7) (After 2 Attempts)
B. Tech Mechanical: From a top NIT (CGPA: 7.93). Graduated in 2015
National Level Gold Medalist in Maths Olympiad
Represented my college at a National Level Operations Quiz in IIM-K and secured the first place.
Worked as a Mechanical designer for a large private sector defense manufacturer(Larsen & Toubro) for a year.
Was transferred to Project Management because of my skills and Company requirements after a year.
Currently, involved in preparation of techno-commercial proposals, project planning, project execution and cash flow management.
Have been a part of major large size programs in both profiles and contributed significantly in both roles.

EC: Was part of a technical club in college.

Colleges I am looking at:-
Purdue
Smeal
Tippie
Cornell(Long shot)
Schulich
Rotman
Sauder
NUS
Mannheim

How would you rate my chances at these schools? You may also recommend some schools where I might have a good chance.
Kindly give your honest feedback.

Thanks in advance.

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2017, 21:29
rajrao wrote:
Hi Manish,

I would like you to evaluate my profile.
Male/Indian/25/Plan to apply for Fall of 2019(Will have 4 years work exp by the time I join)
GMAT: 650 (Q48, V33, AWA 5.5, IR 7) (After 2 Attempts)
B. Tech Mechanical: From a top NIT (CGPA: 7.93). Graduated in 2015

<<snip>>

How would you rate my chances at these schools? You may also recommend some schools where I might have a good chance.
Kindly give your honest feedback.

Thanks in advance.

A few reflections on your profile Raj:
  1. The work profile and multiple roles look good and can make for a nice arc. However, it will be important to understand your post-MBA plans and how you connect the dots there. The undergrad brand should help too to some extent.
  2. For reasons mentioned here, we do not speculate on school selection. I see three major handicaps though. One, most good schools expect 4-5 years of experience and you would only have 3 when you join. Two, the GMAT score will be very modest, even for the schools you are looking at compared to your competition. I know its easier said than done and very frustrating, but attempt #3 is a definite proposition. Finally, the ECs arc seems weak non-existent from a recency point of view (read here why it is important)
So ideally, you should give yourself a bit of a runway, work on these aspects and then make a firmer attempt in the next cycle. Makes sense?

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates   [#permalink] 06 Jun 2017, 21:29

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34    Next  [ 661 posts ] 

Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap