GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Jun 2018, 14:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

AskSouvik: Which B School to Apply | AMA|

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.5
Re: AskSouvik: Which B School to Apply | AMA| [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2018, 16:19
Hi Souvik,

Congrats on your Ross Admit. I read your debriefs and was really impressed by your grit.

So I won't name my schools and company in the fear of being recognized. I fear that my work manager lurks around GMAT club forums and my promotion is due shortly.

So here goes my profile:
GMAT: 740 (Q50, V41)
UG GPA: 7.54 1st Class honors in Chemical engineering from top 5 school in India (best non-IIT pvt school you can think of)
Work Experience: Will be 4 years by the time I matriculate. I work as a Tech consultant for Oil and gas downstream licensing company (Fortune 100 company). Full time travel and client facing role (I have lived out of just 2 suitcases for the past 1.5 years). Led critical multi million dollar refinery commissioning projects in India (Read BPCL, Reliance) and China. Led and have worked in international teams at client location. Also had cross-functional experience in unit design and R&D (read catalyst development). Recently did some BD jobs as well.

ECs: I have dabbled with a lot of things (the reason why I love Fuqua's 25 things essay) but Music is the one I am most passionate about. Was part of college's music society. After graduating, Joined a pretty famous progressive rock band in Delhi. Release and launched our EP. Have more than 2.8k facebook followers. Apart from that worked with a NGO that enabled life skills development through music education as a Teaching Assistant and helped it raise $7k via crowdfunding for annual student concert.

Post MBA goal is to join consulting particularly in the downstream oil and gas sector.

Schools planning to apply: Kellogg, Tuck, Fuqua, Ross, LBS and INSEAD.

I am planning to apply Tuck ED, Kellogg, Fuqua, Ross and LBS in R1 and because of INSEAD's lengthy application. Will choose round 2.

Concerns: I share your POV about Fuqua's ED as well. I am scared about the binding component of the app.
I had recently chatted with a consultant who says that my profile is not suitable for Kellogg and Tuck. I might have a shot at Fuqua if apply in the ED round, otherwise I have a minimal chance in R1 for both Ross and Fuqua. In my consultant's view, All this is because my GMAT is 20 points lower than what it should be. I had seen many people get 750 with the same score split as mine,
So I guess I am anyways a high 740 and the thought of giving the GMAT with a full time travel job is almost impossible.
What do you think? Is there any reality in what the consultant says. Is my profile not suitable for any of the top colleges?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.5

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2018, 16:33
Dark_Horse wrote:
Hi Souvik,

Congrats on your Ross Admit. I read your debriefs and was really impressed by your grit.

So I won't name my schools and company in the fear of being recognized. I fear that my work manager lurks around GMAT club forums and my promotion is due shortly.

So here goes my profile:
GMAT: 740 (Q50, V41)
UG GPA: 7.54 1st Class honors in Chemical engineering from top 5 school in India (best non-IIT pvt school you can think of)
Work Experience: Will be 4 years by the time I matriculate. I work as a Tech consultant for Oil and gas downstream licensing company (Fortune 100 company). Full time travel and client facing role (I have lived out of just 2 suitcases for the past 1.5 years). Led critical multi million dollar refinery commissioning projects in India (Read BPCL, Reliance) and China. Led and have worked in international teams at client location. Also had cross-functional experience in unit design and R&D (read catalyst development). Recently did some BD jobs as well.

ECs: I have dabbled with a lot of things (the reason why I love Fuqua's 25 things essay) but Music is the one I am most passionate about. Was part of college's music society. After graduating, Joined a pretty famous progressive rock band in Delhi. Release and launched our EP. Have more than 2.8k facebook followers. Apart from that worked with a NGO that enabled life skills development through music education as a Teaching Assistant and helped it raise $7k via crowdfunding for annual student concert.

Post MBA goal is to join consulting particularly in the downstream oil and gas sector.

Schools planning to apply: Kellogg, Tuck, Fuqua, Ross, LBS and INSEAD.

I am planning to apply Tuck ED, Kellogg, Fuqua, Ross and LBS in R1 and because of INSEAD's lengthy application. Will choose round 2.

Concerns: I share your POV about Fuqua's ED as well. I am scared about the binding component of the app.
I had recently chatted with a consultant who says that my profile is not suitable for Kellogg and Tuck. I might have a shot at Fuqua if apply in the ED round, otherwise I have a minimal chance in R1 for both Ross and Fuqua. In my consultant's view, All this is because my GMAT is 20 points lower than what it should be. I had seen many people get 750 with the same score split as mine,
So I guess I am anyways a high 740 and the thought of giving the GMAT with a full time travel job is almost impossible.
What do you think? Is there any reality in what the consultant says. Is my profile not suitable for any of the top colleges?

Forgot to add certain details. Planning to apply this year for the Class of 2021. Also, given my profile, can you let me know if my school choices are appropriate. Would you recommend me to look at any other schools?? If yes, which schools?

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests
AskSouvik: Which B School to Apply | AMA| [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2018, 04:25
Hello there Souvik! As always, Im motivated by your constant posts and interactions with fellow GMAT and B School Aspirants!

Request you to kindly evaluate my chances from the below profile:

Indian Male 25.

School - Class X - 88.8%
School - Class XII - 95.6%
(Achievements - School Leader, School Topper, Editor for a student newspaper for a year, Quizmaster)
University - Mechanical Engg - 9.56/10 CGPA (3.82/4)
(Achievements - Dept Topper, President of Automotive Club, National Level AutoQuiz Host, Presented a Research Paper in final semester, Class Representative 3 yrs, Mess Representative 3 yrs)

Work Experience: At a top glass manufacturing organization in the world, Indian division (2 yrs, 11 months)

Graduate Engineer Trainee (6 mos)

Marketing Executive - Interiors Division (1 yr)
(Organized 30+ Product Launches, Photoshoots across the country among top interior designers, contractors and architects, managed collaterals, printables and merchandize for the Sales team, handled social media campaigns)

Key Account Manager - Bangalore Region (1.5 yrs)
(117% of Sales Target Achived, Handled 100+ accounts involving designers, architects, contractors. Conducted 70+ events individually across various firms as engagement activities and designed a few of my own in the process, adjudged Best Manager for 2016 in the country)

> Have quit my professional job after the aforementioned 3 years work ex and am working with my dad for the last 6 months who is an independent consultant who is an advisor for several loss making companies with the goal of turning them around.
> Parallely am also a freelance DJ (Hip Hop, House and Commercial genres) and a freelance Content Writer (last 1 yr)
> Also taking a few financial and business analyst courses to improve my business acumen as I genuinely am interested in equipping myself with knowledge on the same.
> Also performed (Western Vocals and Beatboxing) across multiple pubs and stages during Karaoke and Live events for the last 2 years. Other passions include blogging (5 years) and table tennis
> Active member of a world spiritual organization for 13 years.

1. Scored 640 (Q48 V29) in a mock GMAT test from GMATPrep software w/o preparation in April
2. Scored 710 (Q50, V36) thrice over the last two weeks (Veritas, Kaplan and GMATPrep software each time)
3. TARGET SCORE: 760-790 before July 1st week

Schools in mind: Wharton, Yale SOM, Tepper, NYU Stern, ISB

Post MBA Goals: On one hand, I would like to start my own educational consulting firm in India aimed at bridging between India and other global schools. I'd like to have prior experience at MBB and build up my skills and network in the consulting industry for the same post my MBA. But tbh, Im also inclined at working at the World Bank and contributing towards helping specific causes related to other developing countries, with a focus on Public Policy in the real long term!
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2018, 01:32
Hello Souvik,

I'm just very new to this entire GMAT & MBA abroad thing but having followed you for a while, I can assume you are the right person at this moment for me!
So, Requesting you to kindly evaluate my profile and suggest me what can be done to boost my chances.

23- Indian Male, graduated just last year, been working since past 11 months.
Already prepared well enough for CAT but really want to kickstart my dreams abroad, so planning to take GMAT in coming 8-10 months. I'm pretty confused with my chances at Top 30 B-Schools through GMAT worldwide like the ranks of Ross, Fuqua, Tepper, Kelley, Booth, Rotman, NUS etc.

Have written couple of GMAT Mocks on Kaplan scoring 690-710.
Target Score: 740+
Post MBA Goals: Actually not still concrete. But would love to work in a Product Management profile some day.

WORK EXPERIENCE: 11 months as of now, but planning to continue till 3 years at the least before leaving for MBA.
Presently employed with the world's bestselling magazine group in their off-shore Analytics & Technology centre in Bangalore.

Role: Analyst, in Retail Supply Chain Analytics domain.
Project is a team of 7 Analysts at present(mostly B.Tech+MBA/MS), I'm the youngest.

> Selected after a rigorous Walk-In Recruitment process, for just 1 position out of 205 Interviewed.
> Deliverables require a lot of use of Statistical Forecasting techniques, Excel and Scripting tools like R, SQL.
> Suggesting Print order copies for the Magazine's upcoming issues by analyzing Sales performance trends in past issues. Also, managing distribution across US & Canada at all pyramids right from SKU level till the Wholesale level.
> Reporting to counterparts in US and responsible for conducting proper communication flow between Retail Chains, Wholesalers and Print managers thereby reducing the cost of Reverse Supply chain.
> Optimizing the exact number of copies geography wise as per the budget allotted for a particular magazine issue title supplied by the Stakeholders. Fulfil the Target being to anyhow reduce the maximum possible unsold copies at each location.
> Providing Consultation to the Marketing team in India & US, as to any Promotions that should run in any famous Retail chains after studying the profitability and Competitive brands/Categories including Seasonality changes etc.
> Presently in line for a Promotion within an year, also being responsible to train an incoming junior Analyst.
> Rewarded for successfully automating a repetitive process saving annual 300 man hours approx. Hope to get an LoR from my Manager and Team Director.

ACADEMICS-
UNDERGRADS:
B.Tech. ECE - 66%(with one backlog in Engg Maths! scary), Topper's was 84% (My biggest worry!!!)

However, worked hard on other fronts during college like:
- Final Year B.Tech. Project bagged the Highest Course Credit in my Dept. out of 50+ others. Got funding from District Auth., Covered in local media, R&D Published as a Book Chapter in a Regional IEEE Conference.
- Grabbed a job offer at reputed IT MNC, being the first company to hit for placements in the season, eventually selecting just 20/175 applied.
- IIT Techfest- Seminar & Quiz Winner. Mentored my team of 20+ people in Robotics etc to end up as the best non-IIT team there.
- Worked on few good innovative projects in Software/Analytics.

Internships:
>R&D Project Internship with a reputed Prof along with an IIT & a BITS student.(Team of 3 only)
>Interned at TCS for a Project. only 5/75 selected.

Held important PoRs like:
>President of the College Literary club, led a team of 45 people, successfully initiated several Literary events/Student career building/Personality Dev programmes.
>Marketing & Sponsorships Lead for Regional Techfest, building & mentoring a team of 10 people, gaining 170% funds than previous edition.
>Co-founded a Reading Club that evolved into few other verticals even Social volunteering like Promoting reading in school kids etc. Have an active FB Page with 16k+ followers. Other Co-Founders are currently IIM grads.
>Hosted & Planned a 2-day Tech Conference from scratch.(Team of 5-10)
>Music Singing stage performer for multiple times.

HIGH SCHOOL-
Xth ICSE - 88.00% (Topmost grade in Math, CS, History, Environmental Ed.)
+2 CBSE - 73.60% (Dummy Prep School for JEE)

>Secured a rank in the Top 3%ile in my state out of close to 1.5 Lac candidates, admitted to Top ranked State Govt. Engg College(Non IIT/NIT/BITS rank though)
>Appreciation Certificate by Indian Association of Physics and Chemistry Teachers for finishing among Top 10% in the Selection for Intl version's Indian contingent.
>NTSE State Level+few Olympiads School Topper Awards+Regional Quizzes winner+Singing reality show City finalist

Sorry for listing all Non-Academic achievements in detail. Actually confused as to how these factors may contribute and a justification for my low GPA.
Don't have a gap anywhere in my education or job.

Now, I'm keen in upgrading myself to the best of what I can to cover up my flaws and produce strengths before Adcoms. PLEASE suggest me what all I can still do assuming me hitting my GMAT 740+ Target successfully.
Also to mention, recently I have undergone a Remote Introductory Marketing+Harvard Case Study Course by an IIM-Lucknow(PhD. Tepper) Prof. wherein he made us work on a Mini project as well. Do stuff like these works eventually?

TIA.
Keep up the good work & Best wishes.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2018, 01:04
Hello!!!Can you please suggest me which is best resource?empower or veritas online prep?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B
AskSouvik: Which B School to Apply | AMA| [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2018, 23:24
Hii,

The following is my bio:
male, 23 years, indian.
B.E In mechanical Engineering.
current work exp - 2 and 1/2 years in minning

what GMAT score can get me into PGPM in ISB?

thanks
AskSouvik: Which B School to Apply | AMA|   [#permalink] 08 Jun 2018, 23:24

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 46 posts ] 

AskSouvik: Which B School to Apply | AMA|

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: Hatakekakashi

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap