Last visit was: 09 May 2024, 23:06 It is currently 09 May 2024, 23:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35535 [383]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35535 [168]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 434 [35]
Given Kudos: 80
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63831 [25]
Given Kudos: 1782
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Because of the erratic pattern of sales increases this year retailers [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Balkrishna wrote:
I have seen many incorrect choices in which "with" is used after comma (to modify the preceding clause) or "with" is used to commence the sentence as given in option B (to modify the succeeding clause or I don't know how to name it); in all those questions the option containing "with" is marked incorrect.

I wonder what is the real use of "with"?

That's a really tricky topic, and I'm not sure that I've ever come up with a great explanation for it. It's really hard to clearly and succinctly define the correct uses a preposition such as "with"... but you're right, it seems to be a thing on the GMAT. :x

In many cases, "with" seems to suggest something -- or somebody -- is being accompanied in some way. For example, you could say: "I frequently eat pizza with emu sausage" or "Tim attended a movie with his two screaming toddlers."

Quote:
Because of the erratic pattern of sales increases this year, retailers and analysts hesitate to predict five-year trends in retail sales during the months that have historically been the most profitable.

B) With the erratic pattern of this year’s sales increases, retailers and analysts are hesitant in predicting

So why is (B) wrong?

I think in this case, the meaning ends up being awfully confusing. Are retailers and analysts accompanied in some way by the "erratic pattern of... sales in increases"? That doesn't seem logical. As written, the sentence appears to be saying that the retailers and analysts are somehow performing an action (specifically, the act of being hesitant to make a prediction) along with the erratic pattern of sales. It's much, much clearer to say that the retails and analysts hesitate because of the erratic pattern of sales increases. (And we could also argue that the verb form is much better in (A), for whatever that's worth.)

I hope that helps!
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4684 [2]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: Because of the erratic pattern of sales increases this year retailers [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-

generis wrote:
Because of the erratic pattern of sales increases this year, retailers and analysts hesitate to predict five-year trends in retail sales during the months that have historically been the most profitable.

A) Because of the erratic pattern of sales increases this year, retailers and analysts hesitate to predict

B) With the erratic pattern of this year’s sales increases, retailers and analysts are hesitant in predicting

C) This year, due to the erratic pattern of increasing sales, there is some hesitation among retailers and analysts in predicting

D) The erratic pattern of sales increases have made retailers and analysts hesitate this year to predict

E) This year’s erratic pattern of increasing sales have made retailers and analysts hesitate to predict

Choice A: Option A maintains proper idiom use and subject-verb agreement throughout the sentence and conveys the intended meaning. Thus, Option A is correct.

b]Choice B:[/b] Option B utilizes an unidiomatic phrase "hesitant in, rather than the correct phrase “hesitant to”. Furthermore, "with" is not typically used to express a cause and effect relationship because it introduces a sense of ambiguity; the use of "with" could also mean "along with" or "together with". Thus, Option B is incorrect.

Choice C: Option C repeats the idiomatic error found in Option B, by using the unidiomatic construction "hesitation...in predicting". Thus, Option C is incorrect.

Choice D: Option D suffers from a subject-verb disagreement between "pattern" and "have". This Option also alters the meaning of the sentence, as "this year" seems to be modifying "hesitate". Thus, Option D is incorrect.

Choice E: Option E suffers from the same subject-verb disagreement that Option D does. Thus, Option E is incorrect.

Hence, A is the best answer choice.

Relatedly, we would like to note that the phrase "sales increases" is a noun phrase; it consists of the noun "increases", modified by the adjective "sales". In the English language, nouns can be used as adjectives by placing them before other nouns. In these cases, these nouns are known as noun-adjectives. For example - Boston residents; here, the noun "residents" is modified by another noun "Boston" to refer, specifically, to the residents of the city of Boston.

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1684 [3]
Given Kudos: 348
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V28
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
Send PM
Kudos
A) Because of the erratic pattern of sales increases this year, retailers and analysts hesitate to predict CORRECT

B)With the erratic pattern of this year’s sales increases, retailers and analysts are hesitant in predicting

C) This year, due to the erratic pattern of increasing sales, there is some hesitation among retailers and analysts in predicting -PASSIVE VOICE

D) The erratic pattern of sales increases have made retailers and analysts hesitate this year to predict -PASSIVE VOICE

E) This year’s erratic pattern of increasing sales have made retailers and analysts hesitate to predict -PASSIVE VOICE
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [2]
Given Kudos: 643
Send PM
Kudos
hi,
when i was solving this question , i eliminate option A as there is a clause in preposition,
Because of < Clause> ,
Since it is a official question , the answer is absolutely correct,
but i have seen the following structure all the time
Because of Noun/ Noun entity or Because <Clause >

So my question is,
Is the above statement an exception?
or the usage in OA is absolutely correct

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 298 [3]
Given Kudos: 41
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
WE:Brand Management (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Actually I felt that the question was easier to attempt if choices are eliminated based on errors.
B: Eliminate due to With
C: Eliminate since it is too wordy and at the same time uses due to which is wrong here. Refer to Aristotle's SC Holy grail, due to vs because of explanation. To check whether due to can be used replace it with caused by. If sentence still makes sense, it is correct to use Due to.
D & E: Eliminate because of the use of have, Erratic pattern will attract has (Singular). sales increases is actually in a prepositional phrase (of sales increases) & cannot be a subject.

Hope the explanation is helpful.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 289
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.54
Send PM
generis wrote:
cool16 wrote:
hi,
when i was solving this question , i eliminate option A as there is a clause in preposition,
Because of < Clause> ,

So my question is,

Thanks

Option A: Because of the erratic pattern of sales increases this year,
retailers and analysts hesitate to predict five-year trends in retail sales during the months that have historically been the most profitable.

Hi cool16 ,

No, option A is not an exception.
(And kudos for not "fighting" with the official answer.)

Option A does not have a clause with a subject and a verb after Because of.
The underlined words are a noun phrase (a noun + modifiers).

You got tripped up by "sales increases."
That phrase is a noun. (The two words could not be a subject and verb; sales is plural and increases is singular.)
To make things even more difficult, we have "this year," which seems to be
telling us when an action happened. "This year" seems to be an adverb.

In this case, the phrase "this year" is an adjective.

• "SALES INCREASES" - nouns that modify nouns

In English, we use nouns to modify nouns:
Spanish teacher
Sports car
Race horse
Corn bread

sales increases is a noun.
Increases is a noun, not a verb.
And increases is modified by the "noun-adjective" sales (What kind of increases?).

When a noun modifies another noun
(1) we can call the first noun a "noun-adjective" and
(2) the "noun-adjective" always comes before the noun that it modifies. No exceptions.

• Introductory phrase structure is a compound preposition + noun phrase

[compound preposition] + THE + [adjective] + [noun/direct object] + OF + [noun-adjective + noun]..........[adjective]
Because of .........................the........erratic............pattern...................of................sales increases...................this year

Finally, to what time period does this pattern [of sales increases] belong? this year (this year = adjective)
Most of the time, a "when" phrase or word is an adverb.
When a time phrase modifies a noun, it is an adjective.
Please look at this definition of "yesterday," here, to see the way in which a "when" word is an adjective.

This part of the question is hard.

Hope that helps.

generis,
Hi, I found pattern is the subject and increases is the verb.
Because of the erratic pattern of sales increases this year..........

Ho come increases is the noun. Example- he increases his score by 5 marks. Increases works as a verb. Please help me on this. I eliminated option A because because of + noun + immediate verb is usually wrong in GMAT.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 289
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.54
Send PM
I found pattern is the subject and increases is the verb.

How come increases is the noun. Example- he increases his score by 5 marks. Increases works as a verb. Please help me on this. I eliminated option A because because of + noun + immediate verb is usually wrong in GMAT.
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35535 [8]
Send PM
Because of the erratic pattern of sales increases this year retailers [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
sunny91 wrote:
generis wrote:
cool16 wrote:
hi,
Because of < Clause> ,

So my question is,

Thanks

Option A: Because of the erratic pattern of sales increases this year,
retailers and analysts hesitate to predict five-year trends in retail sales during the months that have historically been the most profitable.

Hi cool16 ,

No, option A is not an exception.
(And kudos for not "fighting" with the official answer.)

Option A does not have a clause with a subject and a verb after Because of.
The underlined words are a noun phrase (a noun + modifiers).

You got tripped up by "sales increases."
That phrase is a noun. (The two words could not be a subject and verb; sales is plural and increases is singular.)

• "SALES INCREASES" - nouns that modify nouns

In English, we use nouns to modify nouns:
Spanish teacher
Sports car
Race horse
Corn bread

sales increases is a noun.
Increases is a noun, not a verb.
And increases is modified by the "noun-adjective" sales (What kind of increases?).

generis,
Hi, I found pattern is the subject and increases is the verb.

Ho come increases is the noun. Example- he increases his score by 5 marks. Increases works as a verb. Please help me on this. I eliminated option A because because of + noun + immediate verb is usually wrong in GMAT.

Hi sunny91 ,

I think you are asking the same question whose answer you are quoting.

Let me try to explain a different way.

First, you are correct. Because of is a preposition that needs a noun. (Because of WHAT?).
Prepositions can be followed only by a noun, noun phrase, or pronoun.

You think that Because of is followed by a clause whose subject is pattern and whose verb is increases. No.

The highlighted part is incorrect, though I understand why you think that "increases" is a verb: often it IS a verb.

Pattern is not followed by a verb.
Pattern is followed by a preposition (OF) + noun (increases)

How do we know? The word OF.
Pattern OF.
OF is a preposition that MUST be followed by a noun.

So when we see a preposition, OF, and a word such as "increases" that could be a verb OR a noun, we must think, "That word should be a noun. IS that word a noun?"

Quote:
How come increases is the noun.

Increases is a noun because
(1) it follows the preposition OF (which requires a noun, so "increases" should be a noun),
(2) it IS a noun at times,
(3) some noun must follow OF, and
(4) It makes sense.

The structure of the prepositional phrase will not allow "increases" to be a verb. We cannot ignore the OF.
If pattern were a subject, OF could not come between pattern and the verb increases.
-- Subject/verb: The pattern increases.
(Weird, but a grammatical subject and verb. No OF.)

-- NOT a subject/verb:
The pattern OF increases. :x
There is no such noun as "pattern of."

Pretend the main clause is different. I'll use different verbs that cannot also be nouns.
Because of the pattern of writes :x
Because of the pattern of weeps :x

TWO prepositional phrases

In other words, we have two prepositional phrases back-to-back:
(Preposition) + noun
1) (BECAUSE OF) a pattern
2) (OF) sales increases

Let's try some different words.

Because of the erratic pattern of purchasing habits, retailers and analysts hesitate to predict five-year trends in retail sales during the months that have historically been the most profitable. :)

Correct, back to back prepositional phrases:
(1) preposition + noun
[Because of] + [the erratic pattern]
(2) preposition + noun
[of] + [purchasing habits]

"Purchasing habits" is a noun phrase. That fact is easy to see.
"Sales increases" is also a noun phrase. That fact is not as easy to see, in part because English uses nouns as adjectives sometimes.

Spanish teacher
Sports car
Corn bread
sales increases
Quote:
How come increases is the noun. Example- he increases his score by 5 marks. Increases works as a verb.
[/quote]
Increases can be a verb OR a noun.
Notice that you cannot write
"He of increases his score by 5 marks."

I'm not saying that increases is never a verb.
I'm saying that increases is not a verb in this sentence.
"Increases" can be a verb sometimes.
But "can be sometimes" does not equal "must be always."

Takeaway: Prepositions can be followed by only a noun, pronoun, or gerund (verbING).

If a word seems to be a verb (and is not an __ING word), does a preposition come right before the "verb" in question. Yes? Then that word cannot be a verb.

If you are still confused, try explaining to me why increases IS NOT a noun.

Or ask another question. I'm happy to try to help. This sentence is hard.

I hope that helps.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 115 [2]
Given Kudos: 74
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Schools: ISB '23 (I)
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V26
GMAT 2: 650 Q50 V28
GMAT 3: 690 Q50 V31
GMAT 4: 730 Q50 V40
GPA: 4
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos