It is currently 23 Sep 2017, 16:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Blind Test 440(Q30, 25th , V 20, 20th ) New to GMAT Journey

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Blind Test 440(Q30, 25th , V 20, 20th ) New to GMAT Journey [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2017, 11:01
Good Afternoon,

I am interested in applying to Business school next year to begin in 2019. I took a blind test and scored a 440. I didn't Finnish any of the sections. I am hoping for some help in knowing where to begin. I ordered, the GMAT official guide set (which should be arriving today). I've also looked at programs like Mgoosh and Empower GMAT. Ive also reviewed Kaplan's prep program and Manhattan GMATs prep program. Ive always been someone to study with the help of a guide so I was thinking I should sign up for one of these courses. But I also would like to see how much better I can get on my own with actually reviewing the material and putting in time practicing. I am 6 years out of Undergrad, Ive always done well on tests ons specific topics but standardized tests like this have not been my strong point. I would love to go to a top 20 school, I believe I have the grades and experience to qualify. I also believe with focus and stuff I can get my score up to at least a 680. Am I being unrealistic? Where should I start? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

EMPOWERgmat Discount CodesMath Revolution Discount CodesMagoosh Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 528 [1], given: 16

Concentration: General Management, Leadership
WE: Sales (Retail)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Blind Test 440(Q30, 25th , V 20, 20th ) New to GMAT Journey [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2017, 13:12
This post received
KUDOS
Hi BrittanyNicole,

First of all, Welcome to GMATClub.

Though you have an initial score of 440, it is very necessary to know what your split(Q/V) is?
This is a very important step and helps understand which of your sections need more work.

You made a very good decision of buying the Official Guide and though it has a lot of
really good questions, unfortunately there is not a lot of theory which could help you
to build your concepts.It makes sense to clear your concepts for every topic and then
follow it up with some practice.

These are my recommendations for the material you could use :

For SC, I will recommend you to use eGmat to build your concepts.
They offer a free trial and this will help you understand if their methodology works for you.
You could use the PowerScore CR bible in order to get a basic understanding of how the CR
section works.

For RC, you should definitely read this link to get a good understanding of how
RC works in the GMAT
https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-club-s- ... 83101.html

Also, Follow Bunuel at the Math Forum(for Quant Section)
His signature contains some awesome questions that give you the true taste of GMAT
You could find this collection in "Collection of Questions" (eg : Baker's Dozen, 12 Easy Pieces etc..)
Make sure you solve each and every question he puts up on the forum.

Last but not the least, this is a post which should help you choose a good study plan
https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-study-plan-217827.html

Hope this helps you!

Stay hungry, Stay foolish

2017-2018 MBA Deadlines

Class of 2020: Rotman Thread | Schulich Thread
Class of 2019: Sauder Thread

Kudos [?]: 528 [1], given: 16

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
P
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat

Kudos [?]: 3318 [0], given: 171

GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: Blind Test 440(Q30, 25th , V 20, 20th ) New to GMAT Journey [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2017, 15:59
Hi BrittanyNicole,

Studying now - when you're not under a looming application deadline - is a smart idea. Since you're not planning to apply to Business School for some time, you have the freedom to 'play around' with your studies a bit and see how well you do. That having been said, a 680 is about the 85th percentile - meaning that 85% of Test Takers never score that high regardless of how long they study or the number of times that they take the GMAT. To raise a 440 to a 680, you will to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections - and that work will likely take at least another 3 months of consistent, guided study.

1) What study materials do you have so far?
2) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free

Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2017, 18:59
Thank you so much pushpitkc! I will check out those resources to start. Thank you for sending the link to the study plan I think that is my next step! Thanks EMPOWERgmatRichC , I am glad I decided to start early to give myself time to obtain the score I need. I am planning to hit the books hard beginning next week. I can dedicate 2 hours each day during the week and at least 5 on the weekends. I will take all the time I need but I am not looking to drag it out any longer than it needs to be. The only material I have so far is the GMAT official Guide 3 book set. I have not opened it yet. I am planning to begin to review this tomorrow.

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
P
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat

GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2017, 13:46
Hi BrittanyNicole,

Working through the material that you already have would be fine. I suggest that you study as you see fit for the next 2 weeks, then take a new, FULL-LENGTH CAT. We can use that result as a gauge to determine how well your studies are going. Keep in mind that you won't necessarily see a huge score improvement this early on, so your goal shouldn't be to try to 'master' anything just yet. We'll be looking to see if you pick up any points and how well you recognize certain prompts on this next CAT.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free

Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Re: Blind Test 440(Q30, 25th , V 20, 20th ) New to GMAT Journey   [#permalink] 03 Sep 2017, 13:46

Blind Test 440(Q30, 25th , V 20, 20th ) New to GMAT Journey

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HiLine

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap