GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 22 Feb 2020, 02:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Book recommendations for a sailor

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
Book recommendations for a sailor  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2020, 20:58
Hi guys,

I would like your opinion on the following :

I am a sailor planning to give my GMAT exam in July/ Aug 2020. I have been preparing for the exam for the last 4 months, albeit at a very slow pace. And now its time for me to go back sailing - I intend to study every day for a couple of hours while at work, but have no clue as to which books to carry with me that will be the most useful. My current level of would be around a 550 on the GMAT, but I would like to significantly improve this score. I have finished the basics of everything ( mainly study through MGMAT books and PowerScore for CR and now its time for me to practise and work on timing. The reason I am asking you guys for recommendations on which books to carry with me on my ship is because it would be hard for me to have unlimited access to internet and hence to forums for more questions. I need advise on the best books to carry with me either in a hard copy form or ebook that include in addition to great real GMAT type questions - answer solutions that explain the reasoning behind the correct answer choices.
I already have all the Official GMAT Guide 2019. I know you guys would recommend the Official books, but I have to tell you that I am somehwat of a slow learner - and I think I would prefer to have and do as many questions as I can - so I feel the OG's would not suffice.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Ankit
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: Book recommendations for a sailor  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2020, 14:07
Hi Ankit,

From what you've described, your studies so far have been "book heavy"; unfortunately, many GMATers who study in that way end up getting 'stuck' at a particular score level. Even the best books are limited in what they can teach you; they also can't force you to approach questions in a certain way and their explanations are often one-sided. Since you are going to be spending so much time on a ship, it's understandable that you would be interested in book-based study materials. However, depending on your Score Goal, you would likely find it beneficial to invest in some new, non-book study materials for this next phase of your studies.

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long each day are you going to be on your ship (as opposed to on land - where you might have a stable internet connection)?
2) How many hours do you typically study each week?
3) On what dates did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
4) What is your overall goal score?
5) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
6) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
7) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2020, 03:44
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Ankit,

From what you've described, your studies so far have been "book heavy"; unfortunately, many GMATers who study in that way end up getting 'stuck' at a particular score level. Even the best books are limited in what they can teach you; they also can't force you to approach questions in a certain way and their explanations are often one-sided. Since you are going to be spending so much time on a ship, it's understandable that you would be interested in book-based study materials. However, depending on your Score Goal, you would likely find it beneficial to invest in some new, non-book study materials for this next phase of your studies.

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long each day are you going to be on your ship (as opposed to on land - where you might have a stable internet connection)?
2) How many hours do you typically study each week?
3) On what dates did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
4) What is your overall goal score?
5) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
6) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
7) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

Rich

Hi there,
Thanks for the reply.

Studies:
1) How long each day are you going to be on your ship (as opposed to on land - where you might have a stable internet connection)? - I hope to spend 2 hours on avg every day
2) How many hours do you typically study each week? - When on land , I have been doing 3 hours and up
3) On what dates did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)? - I took a test about a month ago - scored 560 - Q35, V 23

Goals:
4) What is your overall goal score? - 700 + mark
5) When are you planning to take the GMAT? - July / Aug 2020 - About a month after I back on land.
6) When are you planning to apply to Business School? - 1st and 2nd round for 2021.

Would love to hear from you about the non book based study material -
FYI - Any material that would require me to have stable, high bandwith and high usage internet would be unsuitable for me .

Thanks
Target Test Prep Representative
V
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2020, 19:06
I see that you won’t have unlimited access to the internet, but will you have any access? If so, perhaps you could consider using a self-study course as opposed to books.

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
181 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2020, 13:43
Hi Ankit,

I have a few follow-up questions based on your answers from your prior post:

1) Do you intend to study 2 hours each day that you are on your SHIP (meaning that you will study on the ship)?
2) How many hours each day will you be on LAND? How much study time will you have each day when you are on LAND?
3) Will you have long stretches of time in which you will always be on your ship (for example, will you be on your ship for a week or more before returning to land)?

Since it has been about a month since you took your last practice CAT/mock, it would make sense for you to take another CAT sometime soon. Make sure to take it in a realistic fashion (take the FULL CAT - with the Essay and IR sections, take it away from your home, at the same time of day as when you'll take the Official GMAT, etc.). Once you have that score, you should report back here and we can discuss the results and how best to proceed. You can also feel free to PM me directly.

Rich

The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Book recommendations for a sailor   [#permalink] 19 Jan 2020, 13:43

Book recommendations for a sailor

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: DisciplinedPrep