Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 11:24 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 11:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Darden - Class of 2016
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.49
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Send PM
Re: Booth (Chicago): Calling all applicants - Class of 2016 [#permalink]
FROM Booth Admissions Blog: Spring Forward to Round 2 Decisions

Each year at the beginning of March, the admissions committee anxiously awaits the promise of longer daylight hours and warmer weather as we work hard to make our final Round 2 decisions!  We know that the time between your interview and a final admissions decision can seem very long, so we thought it would be helpful to understand what we will be doing in the following weeks.

As our interview period comes to a close this week, we will move into the final stage of the application evaluation process. The big day is Thursday, March 27th when we will release final admissions decisions.

Between now and March 27th, the admissions committee will be busy reading each application again with the new interview summary included, making final recommendations and shaping the class. The Booth review process is iterative so several different people will read your application for a fair and holistic view of your candidacy. This is a lengthy process; but one that ensures we can truly get to know your story and how you will fit in and contribute to the Chicago Booth community.

You will receive notification via email at 9am on March 27th that your decision is ready to be viewed via our online application system. In the meantime, however, please comment below if you have any questions.

We wish everyone the best of luck and look forward to welcoming the new Class of 2016!

Carrie

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
EMBA vs. Weekend program vs. full time program

Could someone clarify the 'real' scoop for me please? Are they all equally competitive programs? Do they all get the official University of Chicago MBA diploma? All look the same on the resume? Not trying to sound elitist, but just curious how and if the university tries to differentiate the programs to prospective employers. Or are they all equal and no need to differentiate? Thanks!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 315 [1]
Given Kudos: 54
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
Send PM
Kudos
dwal44 wrote:
EMBA vs. Weekend program vs. full time program

Could someone clarify the 'real' scoop for me please? Are they all equally competitive programs? Do they all get the official University of Chicago MBA diploma? All look the same on the resume? Not trying to sound elitist, but just curious how and if the university tries to differentiate the programs to prospective employers. Or are they all equal and no need to differentiate? Thanks!

Same diploma, easier admission, worse recruiting, harder to intern/career switch, worse network (for the most part, FT/PT students are separated from each other). It's good if you plan to stay in your current company, not so good if you plan to make changes. No one will know you got a part-time degree (from a looking at your diploma standpoint), but you'll probably end up with a worse job since you couldn't fully take part in recruiting and do internships in the way the full time students can.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Awesome, thanks mgh. I was more looking at it from the point of view of me being a (future) full time student. It seems to dilute the brand a little bit if employers can't tell the difference and admission standards are lower. I know that comes off as arrogant, but b-school brand is an important aspect of this whole game. Then again, when the new Microsoft CEO was appointed, I wasn't to 'upset' that he wasn't differentiated from the f/t program...
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 315 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
Send PM
dwal44 wrote:
Awesome, thanks mgh. I was more looking at it from the point of view of me being a (future) full time student. It seems to dilute the brand a little bit if employers can't tell the difference and admission standards are lower. I know that comes off as arrogant, but b-school brand is an important aspect of this whole game. Then again, when the new Microsoft CEO was appointed, I wasn't to 'upset' that he wasn't differentiated from the f/t program...

It's definitely a concern a lot of people are having (I personally don't care too much), but not much you can do, pretty much all the Top 15 schools have PT or EMBA's and many are starting online degrees too. Schools are basically businesses at this point, so as long as it doesn't dillute their brand too much, they'll maximize their income. Plus, PT/EMBA helps them increase their scholarships for FT, so it's marginally helpful to us.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 162 [5]
Given Kudos: 73
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
WE:Project Management (Real Estate)
Send PM
Kudos
Here's some answers based on my observations:

Are they all equally competitive programs?
The acceptance rate for the p/t programs is higher, but average p/t GMAT is still close to 690, which is nothing to sneeze at. P/t students typically enter with a bit more work experience, and keep accumulating it while they're in school. The same professors teach the same classes in both programs during the same quarter. F/t and p/t students are all curved against one another. In other words, all Booth grads have to meet the same standards.

Do they all get the official University of Chicago MBA diploma?
Yes

All look the same on the resume?
The degree looks the same. Employers can usually infer from the dates which program someone was in.

...curious how and if the university tries to differentiate the programs to prospective employers.
As mgh mentioned, p/t student don't have access to recruiting until they are 50% complete with the program. In practice, that means no internship recruiting. Once p/t students have access to on-campus recruiting, it is separate from the f/t process (separate dates, locations, etc).

... worse network (for the most part, FT/PT students are separated from each other).
The vast majority of programming is separate (e.g. p/t and f/t consulting clubs), but there is no official prohibition. It is up to individual clubs whether to open events to students from other programs. It is common for f/t students to take evening or weekend classes. The opposite is possible, but not common because most p/t'ers can't make daytime classes. The big exception is the alumni network, which is unified. For alumni events, people stop distinguishing p/t vs. f/t a few years after graduation. With more experience under their belt, p/t grads are often the ones being hit up about job ops (see Satya Nadella).

...but you'll probably end up with a worse job...
Debatable. Most p/t students continue their career in school and, thus, rack up raises and promotions while the rest of us are on hiatus.

...b-school brand is an important aspect of this whole game.
Absolutely it is. Chicago Booth pioneered the EMBA (1943) and weekend (1986) programs. Almost all of the top b-schools have both. The brands seem to be doing ok.

Finally, a very qualitative note. I have had several classes with p/t students and have always felt like they were strong contributors.

Hope this helps.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thank you both so much for taking the time to answer my question. Very helpful!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
GRE 1: Q163 V170
GPA: 3.47
Send PM
Question about Decision Day: the blog/email update indicated that they'll post decisions on the online portal at 9am CST. Does anyone know if calls have gone out the day before in years/rounds past, or if we have to wait for the day-of and find out from the portal? Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.7
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
j0yd1v1s10n wrote:
Question about Decision Day: the blog/email update indicated that they'll post decisions on the online portal at 9am CST. Does anyone know if calls have gone out the day before in years/rounds past, or if we have to wait for the day-of and find out from the portal? Thanks!

From R1 posts here, calls were made day before the stated decision date. If you didn't receive a call the day before, it meant the portal would be updated with a ding or WL. Obviously, there could be an outlier where the school couldn't reach the student the day before (phone number incorrect, spotty cell service in foreign country, etc.).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
GRE 1: Q163 V170
GPA: 3.47
Send PM
bluehorseshoe87 wrote:
j0yd1v1s10n wrote:

From R1 posts here, calls were made day before the stated decision date. If you didn't receive a call the day before, it meant the portal would be updated with a ding or WL. Obviously, there could be an outlier where the school couldn't reach the student the day before (phone number incorrect, spotty cell service in foreign country, etc.).

Do they leave voicemails? I'm away from my desk and not available by phone most of the day.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
j0yd1v1s10n wrote:
bluehorseshoe87 wrote:

Do they leave voicemails? I'm away from my desk and not available by phone most of the day.

To expand a bit on my previous answer (based only on R1 reports here):

International students started reporting calls around 8am CST
East coast US started reporting calls around 10am CST
Central US started reporting calls 1pm CST
West coast US started reporting calls 2pm CST

Last calls I saw reported occurred around 6:00 pm CST (West Coast and Central US). I didn't see any mention of voicemails, etc. so not sure if I can help you there.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 162 [0]
Given Kudos: 73
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
WE:Project Management (Real Estate)
Send PM
j0yd1v1s10n wrote:

Nope. If you don't answer, they give your spot to someone else. :lol:

Seriously though, I know folks who had voicemails ("Please call us back") or who just got re-called later. If you put a landline on your app, find a way to forward it to your cell for the day if it's going to eat at you otherwise.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.83
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
This is the first time i hear about call before u see it online.

my friend an international applicant got her acceptance online first than later the call so not really sure.

do u mean they call people on 26 march??

bluehorseshoe87 wrote:
j0yd1v1s10n wrote:
bluehorseshoe87 wrote:

To expand a bit on my previous answer (based only on R1 reports here):

International students started reporting calls around 8am CST
East coast US started reporting calls around 10am CST
Central US started reporting calls 1pm CST
West coast US started reporting calls 2pm CST

Last calls I saw reported occurred around 6:00 pm CST (West Coast and Central US). I didn't see any mention of voicemails, etc. so not sure if I can help you there.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
gn1 wrote:

my friend an international applicant got her acceptance online first than later the call so not really sure.

Traditionally, yes. They try to call everyone who is accepted the day before (in this case, that would be March 26) official decisions are posted online. That said, I'm sure there's some people who are accepted that the Adcom isn't able to reach (phones not working; called several times with no answers; etc.)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.83
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Good to know than i will plan not to travel on the 26 :):) Finger crossed

bluehorseshoe87 wrote:
gn1 wrote:

Traditionally, yes. They try to call everyone who is accepted the day before (in this case, that would be March 26) official decisions are posted online. That said, I'm sure there's some people who are accepted that the Adcom isn't able to reach (phones not working; called several times with no answers; etc.)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
All quiet on the (mid)western front...

Admit calls next wednesday?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 100