GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Feb 2019, 09:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in February
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • GMAT vs GRE - Insider Insights and Tips to Help You Decide

February 20, 2019

February 20, 2019

12:00 PM EST

01:00 PM EST

Planning to apply to business school? Don't know which standardized test to take? Noodle Pros experts will discuss the nitty gritty of the GMAT vs GRE. Monday, Feb. 11th at 12 PM and 7 PM ET
  • Choosing the Right B-School

February 20, 2019

February 20, 2019

06:00 PM EST

07:00 PM EST

Which MBA program is right for me? How can I find the best fit? An experienced senior consultant from our partner MBA admissions consulting firm, mbaMission, will help prospective MBAs understand the differences that exist among top MBA programs.

Broad vs Fisher

new topic post reply Update application status  

Which school?

• 25% [1]
  • 75% [3]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Fisher(Ohio) School Moderator
B
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V35
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V35
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Broad vs Fisher  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 30 Jan 2019, 03:26
Hello folks,

I am having a tough choice to make and seek your help to decide between broad and fisher.

I have an offer from
1. Fisher with 50% scholarship and 10 hrs graduate assistantship
2. Broad with 70% scholarship

I am a petroleum engineer from India and have 4 years of work experience in oil and gas production operations in deep water.
And post MBA, my work preference would be-
1. management consulting
2. operations manager at e-commerce/tech/ridesharing industry for companies such as Apple, Amazon, Google or Uber, etc
3. SCM consulting

Fisher
Pros - Columbus city, diverse classroom, fewer Indians to compete with (7-9), better curriculum incorporating experiential learning, Deloitte
Cons - less scholarship (not huge difference), major jobs post MBA in midwest (57%; not a big problem)

Broad
Pros - Best in SCM, New Building, more scholarship (not huge difference), higher average salary, placements in SCM/operations a bit easier
Cons - College town, too SCM focussed, more Indians (20) means more competition

Please help me with your valuable insights. bb billionaire cxa0897

Originally posted by Naman5772 on 28 Jan 2019, 21:19.
Last edited by Naman5772 on 30 Jan 2019, 03:26, edited 1 time in total.
BSchool Thread Master
G
Reviews Badge
Re: Broad vs Fisher  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2019, 07:44
Naman5772 wrote:

I have an offer from

I am a petroleum engineer from India and have 4 years of work experience in oil and gas production operations in deep water. I am from India.
1. management consulting
2. operations manager at e-commerce/tech/ridesharing industry for companies such as Apple, Amazon, Google or Uber, etc
3. SCM consulting

Fisher
Pros - Columbus city, diverse classroom, fewer Indians to compete with (7-9), better curriculum incorporating experiential learning, Deloitte
Cons - less scholarship (not huge difference), major jobs post MBA in midwest (57%; not a big problem)

Broad
Pros - Best in SCM, New Building, more scholarship (not huge difference), higher average salary, placements in SCM/operations a bit easier

I think you have a pretty good grasp on the pros/cons of these schools. There's a few things I'd emphasize though.

Columbus is a significantly better place to settle if you are traveling with family, a lot of employment opportunities for a partner and pretty strong schools.

There is a more diverse class at Fisher in regards to career aspirations, but there are definitely more than 7-9 indian students(its in the 20 range) and overall demographics aren't too far off Broad's. The big difference is that 1/4 at most are interested in scm at Fisher, and 1/2+ are at Broad.

The scholarship offer is a pretty big difference, though not in regard to $. 10 hrs/week for 2 years is a pretty substantial time commitment. 10 hours/week goes A LONG WAY in case prep and networking the first semester if you are invested in consulting. I had to decide between the scholarship/assistantship and would have taken the straight money had there not been other factors.

For consulting, I don't think there's a substantial difference in access from either school. Mck recruits at both, and Deloitte/At Kearney recruit for scm. A handful of boutiques also appear at both.
Tech ops is going to be easier at Broad. I believe apple, microsoft, dell, and intel all recruit there but not at Fisher. Amazon is easy from either.

In summary, the career prospects are pretty similar, the cost is pretty similar(at the cost of time), and the coursework isn't too far off, although Fisher's new curriculum looks very intriguing. In my decision process, GAP and Columbus/EL were the biggest factors, but these might not be the same for you. You need to weigh what factors matter most to you and isolate the school that meets those best.
B

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2019, 08:26
cxa0897 wrote:
Naman5772 wrote:

I have an offer from

I am a petroleum engineer from India and have 4 years of work experience in oil and gas production operations in deep water. I am from India.
1. management consulting
3. SCM consulting

Fisher

Broad

I think you have a pretty good grasp on the pros/cons of these schools. There's a few things I'd emphasize though.

Columbus is a significantly better place to settle if you are traveling with family, a lot of employment opportunities for a partner and pretty strong schools.

There is a more diverse class at Fisher in regards to career aspirations, but there are definitely more than 7-9 indian students(its in the 20 range) and overall demographics aren't too far off Broad's. The big difference is that 1/4 at most are interested in scm at Fisher, and 1/2+ are at Broad.

The scholarship offer is a pretty big difference, though not in regard to $. 10 hrs/week for 2 years is a pretty substantial time commitment. 10 hours/week goes A LONG WAY in case prep and networking the first semester if you are invested in consulting. I had to decide between the scholarship/assistantship and would have taken the straight money had there not been other factors.

For consulting, I don't think there's a substantial difference in access from either school. Mck recruits at both, and Deloitte/At Kearney recruit for scm. A handful of boutiques also appear at both.
Tech ops is going to be easier at Broad. I believe apple, microsoft, dell, and intel all recruit there but not at Fisher. Amazon is easy from either.

In summary, the career prospects are pretty similar, the cost is pretty similar(at the cost of time), and the coursework isn't too far off, although Fisher's new curriculum looks very intriguing. In my decision process, GAP and Columbus/EL were the biggest factors, but these might not be the same for you. You need to weigh what factors matter most to you and isolate the school that meets those best.

Thanks cxa0897 for these great insights!

Although I don't have partner as of now, I feel that Columbus is for sure one of the best cities of study in. ?
And I too believe that GAP program is an unique experience that the school provides.
MBA Section Director
V
Affiliations: GMATClub
Concentration: Nonprofit
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2019, 01:35
SVP
SVP
D
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2019, 03:02
Hi Naman5772

Congrats for all those schools. :)

FYI, when it comes to Supply chain. There is another ranking called Gartner, in which Broad is the first in the field and it is power house for SCM. Fisher is known for its reputation of SCM but lower than Broad. However, you case is bit different.

cxa0897 laid out his analysis nicely and I agree with him. I would add some notes.

1- In terms of consulting, both are almost equal into 2nd tier firms. As I remember, many of Broad go into PWC. I think some studens from Fisher slipp into Mck (handful based on their efforts).

2- In terms of tech, I'm suspecting either could help here except for Amazon. I'm not aware at any pint that Google or Uber go there.

3- Needless to say about SCM, with Broad higher than Fisher as you stated.

Long time ago, Broad overhauled its program but honesty, Fisher is more diverse and interesting, even before Fisher's newly introduced program.

The more new added experiential learning in Fisher will boost its place.

In terms of your diverse goals and some effort in extra work (if not in bad financial situation), Fisher will be most likely is suitable place for you. If you were into SCM, I would not be hesitate to advise Broad. But I would choose the school that gives different options according to my dreams.

Good luck
B

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2019, 03:06
workout wrote:

Thank you very much workout for tagging Mo2men and sharing these links! They are very helpful to me!
B

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2019, 03:11
Mo2men wrote:
Hi Naman5772

Congrats for all those schools. :)

FYI, when it comes to Supply chain. There is another ranking called Gartner, in which Broad is the first in the field and it is power house for SCM. Fisher is known for its reputation of SCM but lower than Broad. However, you case is bit different.

cxa0897 laid out his analysis nicely and I agree with him. I would add some notes.

1- In terms of consulting, both are almost equal into 2nd tier firms. As I remember, many of Broad go into PWC. I think some studens from Fisher slipp into Mck (handful based on their efforts).

2- In terms of tech, I'm suspecting either could help here except for Amazon. I'm not aware at any pint that Google or Uber go there.

3- Needless to say about SCM, with Broad higher than Fisher as you stated.

Long time ago, Broad overhauled its program but honesty, Fisher is more diverse and interesting, even before Fisher's newly introduced program.

The more new added experiential learning in Fisher will boost its place.

In terms of your diverse goals and some effort in extra work (if not in bad financial situation), Fisher will be most likely is suitable place for you. If you were into SCM, I would not be hesitate to advise Broad. But I would choose the school that gives different options according to my dreams.

Good luck

Mo2men
Very well points laid out by you. I don't want to restrict myself towards SCM and want to keep my options open. So I agree with your suggestion. Thanks for the much need help!

Cheers!
Naman
B

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2019, 03:25
cxa0897 wrote:

cxa0897 wrote:
Just recently came off the waitlist at Ohio after committing to Broad months ago, and am having a really tough time making a decision so I'd love some input here.

I am pursuing general supply chain/ops positions(consulting second), and osu is going to cost about 80k more after financial aid is considered, so if I was single....no brainer that I'd go to Mich.

But I am not, and the opportunities for my wife are much better in columbus than they would be in lansing. Columbus I can see myself living in after the program, more so than I could see living in Detroit.

Am I crazy to pass up the money for a marginally better program/worse supply chain reputation for the opportunities in the Columbus area?

Hey cxa0897

I agree that Columbus would be a better choice for a person coming with family but what about a single person like me? Will I get significant opportunities to network with companies and enjoy with friends over weekends at Columbus compared to East Lansing? Or there is not much difference?
BSchool Thread Master
G
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2019, 06:31
I would consider Columbus superior to East Lansing in every regard except for rent, but Columbus is still very reasonable compared to most major cities. I'd say this stands for being single or with a family, but obviously there's a bigger difference with a family.

Networking shouldn't be an issue since so much of it does via linkedin/phone/skype anyway. There are way more companies in Columbus than the EL area, but most face to face interaction will be info sessions or school arranged coffee chats. Some students go above and beyond that in their own networking, but I'd say for most the location isn't much of a factor.

The short north area and downtown Columbus can be reached by a short bus ride from campus if you are without a car, and there's a decent amount to do right on High St along campus, although its predominately undergrad students at those "next to campus" places. The vast majority of our outings are either the short north or somebody's apartment, and people are always willing to give rides, share ubers, etc to help move around. Many of the international students live within a few minute walk of each other, so coordinating is easy. Domestic students are more spread out as we typically have cars when we move here, or already have roots in Columbus and have an apt/house.

MSU has a similar setup to high st along the northern border of campus, but it's very undergrad heavy and there aren't many alternatives. I'm definitely not an expert on this, but I imagine MSU parties/socializing will be a little more apartment or house focused. Not necessarily a bad thing, it's just a little different.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Broad vs Fisher   [#permalink] 30 Jan 2019, 06:31

Broad vs Fisher

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, Wilch

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap