It is currently 14 Dec 2017, 05:32

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Wharton R1 | Stanford R1 | Tuck R1 | Ross R1 | Haas R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

BSchools for Round 2!

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 5

Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
WE: Business Development (Retail)
BSchools for Round 2! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2017, 06:36
I've been lurking on the forum here for a while now and finally have a valid question to pose.

Based in India, I will have 5+ years of experience in Retail (Category Management and Business Development) at the time of matriculation next fall. In addition to this I'm an engineering undergrad (from a Top 10 Indian institute) and also have a masters in retail management from India's best fashion and retail school. Despite my below average GPA in my undergrad (Less than 3.0), I was confident of landing at least an interview at CBS (Early decision) due to the nature of my work experience and my ECs, but unfortunately I got dinged by CBS last night.

I have also applied to Goizueta (Emory) and Stern (NYU) in Round 1. With the short term goal of joining a strategy consulting firm's retail and consumer goods practice and then later (after 3-4 years) transitioning into a strategic role at a retailer like H&M or Amazon, I have consciously selected schools that have a formidable consulting track and are located in and around major commercial hubs. The location bias also compliments my back-up goal of networking and targeting opportunities in Retail from the get go. Having had an urban upbringing I personally prefer an urban setting over a college-town environment.

So after being dinged by CBS, my question now is which schools do I target in Round 2? The scenarios that I could be faced with are as follows:

1) If I get into either (or both) Goizueta or Stern, I could try targeting a couple of M7 schools. Considering all the factors- my work-ex, decent gmat score, low gpa, an additional masters, ECs, goals and my location bias- which schools can I target? I've given Booth and Kellogg some serious thought.

2) If I get dinged by both Goizueta and Stern, then I would more or less just target 3-4 schools that have a strong consulting history irrespective of the location, or vice-versa a more retail-friendly location over a strong consulting history. And this would be a mix of safe and aspirational schools. I'm thinking of - ISB, Rotman, Johnson (Cornell), Anderson (UCLA), Fuqua (Duke), Darden (UVA)/Ross (Michigan). Any suggestions regarding what a good mix in this scenario could look like? Would also be great to just get some insight into how limiting some negative factors, like the low gpa, could really end up becoming while making this choice.

Look forward to your replies!

Last edited by CantonasRaisedCollar on 25 Oct 2017, 08:03, edited 3 times in total.

Board of Directors
D

Kudos [?]: 968 [0], given: 69

Concentration: Healthcare, Technology
GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: BSchools for Round 2! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2017, 06:43
Hey CantonasRaisedCollar ,

I believe you posted the question on the wrong forum.

It should be directed to the admission consultants.

No worries, I just moved it to its place. :)

How I improved from V21 to V40! ?

Kudos [?]: 968 [0], given: 69

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2017, 06:53
Apologies, I didn't realise this was in the wrong forum.

Thanks abhimahna

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
G

Kudos [?]: 257 [1], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2017, 09:09
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
1) If I get into either (or both) Goizueta or Stern, I could try targeting a couple of M7 schools. Considering all the factors- my work-ex, decent gmat score, low gpa, an additional masters, ECs, goals and my location bias- which schools can I target? I've given Booth and Kellogg some serious thought.
I think this is not a bad gameplan, I would lean Kellogg here over Booth, some of the same issues which got you the ding for CBS may resurface again with Booth but if you want take a swing at Booth after scoring the above admits, that's not a bad thing

2) If I get dinged by both Goizueta and Stern, then I would more or less just target 3-4 schools that have a strong consulting history irrespective of the location, or vice-versa a more retail-friendly location over a strong consulting history. And this would be a mix of safe and aspirational schools. I'm thinking of - ISB, Rotman, Johnson (Cornell), Anderson (UCLA), Fuqua (Duke), Darden (UVA)/Ross (Michigan). Any suggestions regarding what a good mix in this scenario could look like? Would also be great to just get some insight into how limiting some negative factors, like the low gpa, could really end up becoming while making this choice.

If you get dinged by Goizueta then I think many of the schools on your list might be challenging for you as this would signal a weaker overall competitiveness in your profile. In this scenario I would take a look at ISB, Rotman, Johnson, and Anderson as your lead options. Your GPA is an important factor but it is evaluated amongst a host of other factors most importantly with your GMAT, which you have a good score one

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 257 [1], given: 0

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2017, 10:31
VeritasPrepDozie wrote:
I think this is not a bad gameplan, I would lean Kellogg here over Booth, some of the same issues which got you the ding for CBS may resurface again with Booth but if you want take a swing at Booth after scoring the above admits, that's not a bad thing

If you get dinged by Goizueta then I think many of the schools on your list might be challenging for you as this would signal a weaker overall competitiveness in your profile. In this scenario I would take a look at ISB, Rotman, Johnson, and Anderson as your lead options. Your GPA is an important factor but it is evaluated amongst a host of other factors most importantly with your GMAT, which you have a good score one

Thanks for the feedback! Especially for the second scenario. Just a follow up question to that, would it be reasonable to consider NUS or NTU alongside ISB, Roman, Johnson and Anderson?

Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
G

Kudos [?]: 257 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2017, 10:41
I would that is totally reasonable to consider those schools as additional options as well

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 257 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2017, 07:50
Great! Thanks again VeritasPrepDozie

Re: BSchools for Round 2!   [#permalink] 26 Oct 2017, 07:50

BSchools for Round 2!

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap