GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 25 Sep 2018, 14:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Calling all ASU (WP Carey) Waitlisted Applicants: Class of 2020!

new topic post reply Update application status  
MBA Section Director
V
Affiliations: GMAT Club
City: Pune
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Calling all ASU (WP Carey) Waitlisted Applicants: Class of 2020!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2017, 22:07
Hello to all Waitlisted applicants! Creating a place for ASU waitlisters to share information, updates, concerns. Be welcome and please share any information, tip or concern you may have regarding the process!

Roll Call

Chances of Getting Admitted After an Interview [Data Crunch]

Must Read Forum Topics Before You Kick Off Your MBA Application

New GMAT Club Decision Tracker - Real Time Decision Updates

Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Calling all ASU (WP Carey) Waitlisted Applicants: Class of 2020!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2017, 22:20
Thank you for creating this topic Narenn!

It would help if CanadianNic gives some insights regarding his experience.
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 750 Q42 V50
GPA: 4
WE: General Management (Insurance)
Re: Calling all ASU (WP Carey) Waitlisted Applicants: Class of 2020!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2017, 00:01
Hello, everybody, just thought i share a story of how a person i know got an admission from the waitlist. You probably know this tactic already, but still i figured its better to share than not to.
So he got admission from a couple of schools similar in ranking to his target school, but he got waitlisted by the target school itself. So he just wrote a straightforward e-mail to admissions of the school where he was waitlisted, attaching acceptance letters from other schools, and basically saying that he got admits elsewhere but he really dreams to go to the target school, so if they give him admission he commits to accept it with no hesitation. it worked really well and he got moved from the waitlist in like 2 days from that e-mail.
the school was not ASU (much higher in the ranking), but the tactic makes sense. you are being honest, saying upfront that you really want to go to the school vs other schools (which by itself is a huge point for adcoms!) and also you are committing to accept the admit (which is also a huge point because generally any school wants to maximize chances of candidate accepting admission offer, rather than passing on it - it gives them better enrollment rate which is a published statistic).
hope this helps.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.1

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2017, 20:07
mrsonmax wrote:
Hello, everybody, just thought i share a story of how a person i know got an admission from the waitlist. You probably know this tactic already, but still i figured its better to share than not to.
So he got admission from a couple of schools similar in ranking to his target school, but he got waitlisted by the target school itself. So he just wrote a straightforward e-mail to admissions of the school where he was waitlisted, attaching acceptance letters from other schools, and basically saying that he got admits elsewhere but he really dreams to go to the target school, so if they give him admission he commits to accept it with no hesitation. it worked really well and he got moved from the waitlist in like 2 days from that e-mail.
the school was not ASU (much higher in the ranking), but the tactic makes sense. you are being honest, saying upfront that you really want to go to the school vs other schools (which by itself is a huge point for adcoms!) and also you are committing to accept the admit (which is also a huge point because generally any school wants to maximize chances of candidate accepting admission offer, rather than passing on it - it gives them better enrollment rate which is a published statistic).
hope this helps.

Hey thanks for the info.
Appreciate it.

Can you ask this person if he has any mail format for this conversation.
I actually have an admit from USC Marshall, but I would prefer carey if I get into it.
So i was hoping to use this information.

Thanks in advance
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 750 Q42 V50
GPA: 4
WE: General Management (Insurance)

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2017, 23:56
Not really, but just approach it as a deal negotiation in corporate world. just be genuine and humble, and state that you do want to go to wp carey (and maybe reiterate reasons), and ask if there is anything you could do on your end to increase chances of admission. Btw if you didnt recieve generous fin aid at usc marshall, then you have a much weaker leverage, since carey has full scholarship for all admits. So just acceptance by itself to a similar ranked school is not very persuasive here. But dont take my advice at face value, double check articles pn getting off a waitlist - there are tons of them. There might be a lot of good tactics out there. But i guess the key point is to be proactive and also show to Carey that you want not their scholarship but thei school and program

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.89
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2018, 21:14
All the best for today guys!
Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 3.98
Calling all ASU (WP Carey) Waitlisted Applicants: Class of 2020!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2018, 21:48
smahapa2 wrote:
All the best for today guys!

Thank you smahapa2.. While sleeping today, will keep my fingers and toes crossed :)
GMAT Club Bot
Calling all ASU (WP Carey) Waitlisted Applicants: Class of 2020! &nbs [#permalink] 08 Feb 2018, 21:48

Calling all ASU (WP Carey) Waitlisted Applicants: Class of 2020!

new topic post reply Update application status  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap