Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:28 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GPA: 3.4
WE:Analyst (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance, Healthcare
Schools: CBS '18 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q44 V47
WE:Analyst (Other)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Calling all CBS Applicants - (2016 Intake) Class of 2018 [#permalink]
hellovivian wrote:
SherLocked2018 wrote:
mexcango wrote:
Anyone of you guys/girls applied with a significant other? - if so, do you have any ideas if we should receive invites/dinges at the same time (we applied with a 3-week diference - Sept 11 and Oct 3)?

I did. But we submitted on the same day (4th Sept)
Haven't yet got response, for either of us (probably we'll get a 'ding' together :cry: )

Anyway, the scenario might be different for you two. No idea.

I saw at least 2 people submitted on the same day as mine got interview invite. I assume I have been dinged and receiving rejection is just a matter of time

We're on the same boat, as I'm on that 3 weeks line as well with no answer yet, but does that necessarily means a ding ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
GMAT 1: 680 Q42 V41
GMAT 2: 720 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.45
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
hellovivian wrote:
SherLocked2018 wrote:
mexcango wrote:
Anyone of you guys/girls applied with a significant other? - if so, do you have any ideas if we should receive invites/dinges at the same time (we applied with a 3-week diference - Sept 11 and Oct 3)?

I did. But we submitted on the same day (4th Sept)
Haven't yet got response, for either of us (probably we'll get a 'ding' together :cry: )

Anyway, the scenario might be different for you two. No idea.

I saw at least 2 people submitted on the same day as mine got interview invite. I assume I have been dinged and receiving rejection is just a matter of time

I didn't receive my rejection letter until exactly 5 weeks after. An absolutely brutal 2 additional weeks. Sorry for less encouraging of a post. However, my internal theory, based on what I know about how CBS processes apps, is the first reader of my application denied me, so it went to the second reader. This took extra time, and ultimately the 2nd reader denied me, hence the decline 5 weeks later.

Perhaps the 2 weeks between the 3 week and 5 week timeline represents the time for the 2nd reader to read my application (and subsequently reject me)? Then again, all the other rejections I've seen were quicker, in the 3.5 - 4 week range.

Bottom-line, I have no f-ing clue.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3626 [0]
Given Kudos: 816
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
extremepc wrote:

I didn't receive my rejection letter until exactly 5 weeks after. An absolutely brutal 2 additional weeks. Sorry for less encouraging of a post. However, my internal theory, based on what I know about how CBS processes apps, is the first reader of my application denied me, so it went to the second reader. This took extra time, and ultimately the 2nd reader denied me, hence the decline 5 weeks later.

Perhaps the 2 weeks between the 3 week and 5 week timeline represents the time for the 2nd reader to read my application (and subsequently reject me)? Then again, all the other rejections I've seen were quicker, in the 3.5 - 4 week range.

Sorry to hear about your application experience. Do you mind sharing your profile ?

All the best with your other apps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Engr2012 wrote:
extremepc wrote:

Sorry to hear about your application experience. Do you mind sharing your profile ?

Thanks for the kind words, and no problem. Happy to share:

26 at matriculation
720 GMAT (48Q, 41V)
2 years F100 financial services Corporate Strategy (promoted in normal timeline, my group has sent others to CBS recently)
1.5 years boutique strategy consulting (promoted in 6 months, but no-name firm that has never sent anyone to CBS)
Summer internship at top-tier S&T (GS, MS, JPM)
Non-HPY Ivy; 3.5 GPA
Hispanic URM and first-gen American; not first-gen college student
Strong extracurriculars and community service involvement
Compelling essays, strong resume (IMO)
Applied 8/17, response 9/21

I worked with a highly-regarded consultant (will not share name here), who I believe helped me put together an awesome application. I have no "regrets", other than perhaps my desired career goal was a bit left-field. That said, many companies in the industry recruit at the school, and I believe I had a logical story as to why I wanted to enter the industry.

I was honestly shocked to not even get an invite, but such is life. Got over it after a couple weeks :? and now just hoping for the best from other schools. Didn't hear from HBS yesterday, but we all know that was a big stretch to begin with.

If anyone has any insights as to what may have happened, would love to hear. Perhaps CBS is on a big GMAT push considering they have the lowest GMAT average among their peer scores, and 720, while good, isn't blowing anyone away. I also didn't get the chance to attend any CBS events due to work conflicts. Lastly, I had a number of questionable quant grades on my transcript (B- in intro micro, C in intermediate micro, B- in calculus), but those were outliers versus stronger grades (A+ in accounting, A in finance, TA'ed 4000-level statistics class, etc.).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 82 [0]
Given Kudos: 87
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GRE 1: Q170 V160
Send PM
extremepc wrote:
Engr2012 wrote:
extremepc wrote:

26 at matriculation
720 GMAT (48Q, 41V)
2 years F100 financial services Corporate Strategy (promoted in normal timeline, my group has sent others to CBS recently)
1.5 years boutique strategy consulting (promoted in 6 months, but no-name firm that has never sent anyone to CBS)
Non-HPY Ivy; 3.5 GPA

I worked with a highly-regarded consultant (will not share name here), who I believe helped me put together an awesome application. I have no "regrets", other than perhaps my desired career goal was a bit left-field. That said, many companies in the industry recruit at the school, and I believe I had a logical story as to why I wanted to enter the industry.

I was honestly shocked to not even get an invite, but such is life. Got over it after a couple weeks :? and now just hoping for the best from other schools. Didn't hear from HBS yesterday, but we all know that was a big stretch to begin with.

If anyone has any insights as to what may have happened, would love to hear. Perhaps CBS is on a big GMAT push considering they have the lowest GMAT average among their peer scores, and 720, while good, isn't blowing anyone away. I also didn't get the chance to attend any CBS events due to work conflicts. Lastly, I had a number of questionable quant grades on my transcript (B- in intro micro, C in intermediate micro, B- in calculus), but those were outliers versus stronger grades (A+ in accounting, A in finance, TA'ed 4000-level statistics class, etc.).

Sorry to hear about your ding at CBS. Best of luck for other schools.

Thanks for putting the profile in such a detail.

Just quick questions:
"desired career goal was a bit left-field". Do you mean it was very common goal or you didnt put it well in essay?
When you say CBS is trying to improve avg. I am just curious why now.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
extremepc wrote:

Sorry to hear that. I can feel I will get reject soon since I have acrossed the 3 weeks line. I spent the most time on CBS essays (more than 2 months) and only 1-2 weeks for other school's. It was also my first application, I attended all the events nearby and flew to do campus visit. so sad...

Your profile is pretty good. I think you will get a good result finally. All the best with your other applications.

Originally posted by helloschool on 07 Oct 2015, 11:22.
Last edited by helloschool on 07 Oct 2015, 12:30, edited 1 time in total.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3626 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
extremepc wrote:
Engr2012 wrote:
extremepc wrote:

26 at matriculation
720 GMAT (48Q, 41V)
Non-HPY Ivy; 3.5 GPA

You have a pretty strong profile so dont feel bad about not getting an invitation for the interview. You will get an admit at one of your othr schools. As for CBS, rolling admissions create their own issues as you would never know how many students have they already accepted to create their "class" for 2016. For the elite schools, it becomes impossible to properly find an answer for not making it. It all comes down to how many similar applicants have they already accepted and how many more can they take before they start saying no.

Anyways, all the best for your other applications.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
When can regular decision candidates begin to expect interview invitations?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Send PM
Thanks for all the kind words, everyone. Hope you are all right about another school panning out!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Concentration: Finance, Finance
Schools: CBS '17
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V38
Send PM
submitted : 8th Sept
Completed : 11th Sept (due to my 2nd recommender)

.. heard nothing back. Finance HK 7 years. applied CBS only for ED (need to stay in NY for personal reason..)

i observed that most of "invitation" has been sent out 3rd week + 1or2 days.

considering 11th Sept was friday, business day wise, 3rd week + 2nd day has gone. hmmmb.... bad sign? :( anyone applied around got something back?
SVP
SVP
Send PM
malosis wrote:

As per CBS's website, RD applicatins will only be reviewed after ED applications.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
scissored wrote:
submitted : 8th Sept
Completed : 11th Sept (due to my 2nd recommender)

.. heard nothing back. Finance HK 7 years. applied CBS only for ED (need to stay in NY for personal reason..)

i observed that most of "invitation" has been sent out 3rd week + 1or2 days.

considering 11th Sept was friday, business day wise, 3rd week + 2nd day has gone. hmmmb.... bad sign? :( anyone applied around got something back?

Hey man,
Don't lose hope - You're not dinged yet!

I don't see a reason for a sad face, you have a solid profile! don't let it to take the wind out of your sails.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Engr2012 wrote:
malosis wrote:

As per CBS's website, RD applicatins will only be reviewed after ED applications.

Any idea when ED decisions are over? Only info I can find is that both are rolling decisions with RD coming after ED.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
malosis wrote:
Engr2012 wrote:
malosis wrote:

Any idea when ED decisions are over? Only info I can find is that both are rolling decisions with RD coming after ED.

I don't have that information but did you ask the admissions ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V45
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Kudos
malosis wrote:

Looking through last year's thread, it seems like RD interview invites started coming in late november/early december
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
cathwhc wrote:
Just got the call, accepted!

In case you might want to know my background:
Asian female (international applicant)
2.5yr in Big 4 accounting firm as auditor/senior auditor
1yr in Technology company as financial analyst

My WE is not very unique, but I have outstanding extracurricular activities and I attended all their events and keep in contact with alumni and current students.

The past few weeks was really painful...hope you all can hear the good news soon!!!

Congratulations!!! when did you have your interview? how long did you wait for the final call?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance, Healthcare
Schools: CBS '18 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q44 V47
WE:Analyst (Other)
Send PM
Welp it's been over a week now and still no interview feedback. Emailed my interviewer yesterday but radio silence. Guess I'll reach out to Columbia later this week if I still haven't heard.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  15   16   17   18   19   20   21  ...  78   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts