Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 18:41 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 18:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V39
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.9
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Schools: Booth '18 (D)
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Re: Calling all Chicago-Booth Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!! [#permalink]
no update so far, what's wrong ?

ABS19 wrote:
Got the ding at 4 pm CST. Ironically I was sitting in winter garden at the Harper center after concluding my campus visit today when the ding came!
Re: Calling all Chicago-Booth Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!! [#permalink]
givemebananas wrote:
JKNASH wrote:
Thank you for your reply. There must be something I didn't do well in the application package. However, it's a shame declined applicants will never have a chance to figure out where the problem is. Good luck with your application too.
Of course always seek improvements, but don't ASSUME something was wrong. Assuming homogeneous stats (i.e. GMAT/GPA/Work/non-URM), the human element in the admissions process begins to play a greater factor. Candidates sparkle differently depending on the reader's biases.

Now, it's becoming more of the case that candidates with great stats should choose a "spray and pray" approach as in PHD admissions, whereas before -- let's say 5 years ago -- you could've walked into ANY program with your profile on stats alone.

I second that. Also, do not forget, everyone applying to these top programs is pretty good when focusing on numbers only; what makes a difference now is those essays, your experience and leadership roles both professionally, but especially in the community. Anyone with enough time, can have perfect scores, and schools are aware of that. I your life is focused on scoring high, while not caring about real issues of real life, well, these top programs will not show any interest in you.
As they often say, they are looking for game changers, not just people who can solve equations and make a lot of money for themselves
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.65
Send PM
dinged here. its tough to swallow especially since I got dinged from 5 of 5 schools that I applied. Not a single one extended an invitation to interview. Is something systematically wrong with my profile or application?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
WE:General Management (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Ding...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
Send PM
Kudos
tchankwes wrote:
I second that. Also, do not forget, everyone applying to these top programs is pretty good when focusing on numbers only; what makes a difference now is those essays, your experience and leadership roles both professionally, but especially in the community. Anyone with enough time, can have perfect scores, and schools are aware of that. I your life is focused on scoring high, while not caring about real issues of real life, well, these top programs will not show any interest in you.
As they often say, they are looking for game changers, not just people who can solve equations and make a lot of money for themselves
I agree that the subjective parts of the app make a difference. However, I think you're taking my point to the extreme and thinking in a way that admissions WANTS you to think matters (i.e. Caring about "real issues.") In reality, they reserve slots for general buckets, and you're competing against a micro-cohort of similar applicants based on scores and prestige, who are assumed to get the checkboxes for leadership and community.

Good luck!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V37
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE:Information Technology (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Looking at all the analysis above, hope spray n pray works..
Fingers crossed.. :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GRE 1: Q167 V155

GRE 2: Q167 V164
GPA: 3.73
WE:Project Management (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Hello nice people, congrats to the ones with the R2 interviews.

I am in a dilemma I wanted some suggestions on. I got my Booth R2 interview invite. Still they have not gotten back to me with the interviewer name (I come from Bangladesh). And the final decisions for R2 will be out by 17th March.

On the other hand, I have gotten a Deans Tuition scholarship (full ride) from Olin in R2. I am to accept the offer by 4th March. So, I dont really know if I should be accepting the offer and later on reject it if Booth makes me an offer I can not refuse (:P).
N:B: I do not want to sound rude or give a bad vibe about students from Bangladesh in general.

Regards,
JW
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V46
Send PM
hwu580 wrote:
just received an invite (1:31PM CT)

Hey hwu! Congratulations on the Wharton admit! I'm curious - how do you feel on Wharton v. Booth?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3626 [0]
Given Kudos: 816
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
JWahid wrote:
Hello nice people, congrats to the ones with the R2 interviews.

I am in a dilemma I wanted some suggestions on. I got my Booth R2 interview invite. Still they have not gotten back to me with the interviewer name (I come from Bangladesh). And the final decisions for R2 will be out by 17th March.

On the other hand, I have gotten a Deans Tuition scholarship (full ride) from Olin in R2. I am to accept the offer by 4th March. So, I dont really know if I should be accepting the offer and later on reject it if Booth makes me an offer I can not refuse (:P).
N:B: I do not want to sound rude or give a bad vibe about students from Bangladesh in general.

Regards,
JW

You wont know about your final Booth's decision till 17th March anyhow. So the best case forward will be for you to pay the deposit and secure your spot at Olin. Lets say you do get in to Booth on March 17th, you will get to lose the deposit that you submitted at Olin (full ride aside). If you think that loans will be a big burden for you, then Olin's full ride will be difficult to be matched but Booth's prestige is right up there with the top schools. Booth will give an excellent exposure to whatever field you want to pursue. Olin is a good school but unfortunately it does not come close to Booth's reputation.

Booth has given some aid to R1 admits but how much will be a decision for March 16th for you. So, if you are fine without Booth's admit without aid (worst case scenario), then I would say pay the deposit at Olin to secure your spot.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
givemebananas wrote:
tchankwes wrote:
I agree that the subjective parts of the app make a difference. However, I think you're taking my point to the extreme and thinking in a way that admissions WANTS you to think matters (i.e. Caring about "real issues.") In reality, they reserve slots for general buckets, and you're competing against a micro-cohort of similar applicants based on scores and prestige, who are assumed to get the checkboxes for leadership and community.

Good luck!

Agree with this. I come from the overly represented Indian male engineers pool and most of us have great GPAs , excellent GMAT scores etc. So lets say they have 50 slots for this pool and admissions found excellent applications in R1 and admitted 30 in this pool/bucket. So for R2 and R3, obviously you will be competing against people with similar profiles and for lesser slots. The numbers get stacked against you. It is not just the application materials or GPAs and GMATs, the admission committee also needs to select a 'diverse' class for the obvious reasons. Herein comes the 'personal' bias as mentioned by another poster above. You can not or should not rule this element out. I have seen 1 applicant who applied to 7 top 10 schools and got dinged without interview at all but got admitted to HBS. Entire application process is a combination of many different aspects out of which some are in your control while others are not.

If you did get an interview, good luck with your interview and final decision. If not, move on and work on another application or in my case matriculate at Kellogg :-D
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3626 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
With the completion of R2 interview invitations, refer below for the timeline for interview invites.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [2]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Social Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Kudos
djgoober wrote:
dinged here. its tough to swallow especially since I got dinged from 5 of 5 schools that I applied. Not a single one extended an invitation to interview. Is something systematically wrong with my profile or application?

I was in your shoes last year! Granted, I haven't gotten IN anywhere yet, so I'm not exactly a success story, but there is hope for reapplicants. I wasn't able to beat my 700 and still have a low GPA, so the luck this year is all in how I presented myself. Again, I haven't gotten in anywhere yet, but I'm doing incrementally better than last year and I only need one to like me!

PM me if you'd like reapplicant tips. Trust me, I know it's hard not to take it to heart, but you've got to believe in yourself and keep going if you know this is what you want. But first, I would suggest taking 1-2 months to completely forget about the process and take a breather before thinking about R1
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1020 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Got an invite on the 28! Didnt have a chance to post as i came down with a bad case of flu.
Canadian, 99% gmat,cfa, IM experience.
so happy i got the invite, went to Chicago twice this year, including a campus visit, love the city, the school, the people, so excited! Got an outright ding at cbs - whatever, cant aford manhattan anyway.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.71
Send PM
If the timeline above with the number of invites are to be believed, there were significantly less invites in R2 (47 invites) than R1 (76 invites). Is this because not all the invitees have updated their profiles here or did Booth decide to fill the majority of their 2018 class from R1? Considering historically most applicants are in R2, this would be an odd thing. Maybe we're seeing a shift of more applicants deciding to apply in R1 to have a better chance. It'd be interesting to see the statistics on applicant behavior this cycle.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Send PM
FROM The Booth Experience: Ski Trip 2015: Fun On and Off the Slopes
The Booth annual ski trip is arguably the biggest Booth trip of the year, and the trip to Aspen this past December was no exception. Check out what 400 Boothies were up to for a week with the awesome video recap below, and some off the slopes pictures after the jump.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
SVP
SVP
Send PM
bdablog wrote:
If the timeline above with the number of invites are to be believed, there were significantly less invites in R2 (47 invites) than R1 (76 invites). Is this because not all the invitees have updated their profiles here or did Booth decide to fill the majority of their 2018 class from R1? Considering historically most applicants are in R2, this would be an odd thing. Maybe we're seeing a shift of more applicants deciding to apply in R1 to have a better chance. It'd be interesting to see the statistics on applicant behavior this cycle.

It could very well be that Booth already filled a few slots in R1 itself based on 'diversity/bucketing'. But it could very well be that people on GMATCLUB have not updated their profiles. Based on last year's division, % of people getting invites was relatively similar. So it all depends on whether Booth went aggressive this time around with the invites. No one would know the real reason unless you work with the adcoms.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: Real Estate
WE:Analyst (Other)
Send PM
Does anyone know what percentage of those interviewed are accepted?

Just had my off-campus interview on Friday. I thought it went well. It was a very conversational interview. Some questions I remember:

Tell me about yourself/take me through your resume
How would your friends describe you?
Tell me about a significant leadership experience you've had.
Tell me about a time you disagreed with someone in a group setting.
Why Booth?
Why now?
Why the industry I'm in now
What do you think you add to the class at Booth?

After my interview, I think Booth is one of my top choices if not number one. Good luck to everyone.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  43   44   45   46   47   48   49  ...  61   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts