It is currently 23 Aug 2017, 22:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Duke-Fuqua Applicants(2015 Intake) Class of 2017

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Duke-Fuqua Applicants(2015 Intake) Class of 2017 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2015, 12:40
What is the difference between "not invited" and a flat out denial of admission? I don't understand why Fuqua gives people hope. If Fuqua doesn't want to interview you, is it not logical to think that you are no longer being considered for admission? Anyone experienced the contrary before?

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 108 [0], given: 40

GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GRE 1: 334 Q169 V165
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2015, 12:45
drwithe wrote:
What is the difference between "not invited" and a flat out denial of admission? I don't understand why Fuqua gives people hope. If Fuqua doesn't want to interview you, is it not logical to think that you are no longer being considered for admission? Anyone experienced the contrary before?

I was "not invited" before and assumed it was basically a ding. A couple weeks ago my assumed ding turned into a WL position. Today that turned into an interview. I've gone from no hope to at least a glimmer of it, as strange as everything is that has played out.

Current Student

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2015, 12:52
Hmmm.............that is interesting. At this point, for a round 3 applicant who was not invited, that path seems more unattainable. I think this is a tactic Fuqua uses to increase their matriculation rate.

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 8

Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q46 V47
GPA: 3.52
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2015, 12:54
alwayswaiting wrote:
drwithe wrote:

I was "not invited" before and assumed it was basically a ding. A couple weeks ago my assumed ding turned into a WL position. Today that turned into an interview. I've gone from no hope to at least a glimmer of it, as strange as everything is that has played out.

Me too!

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 7

Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 610 Q44 V31
GMAT 2: 650 Q40 V39
GMAT 3: 680 Q47 V36
GPA: 2.89
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2015, 15:00
Invited to interview! Extremely excited

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 7

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT 1: 580 Q39 V31
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GPA: 3

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2015, 19:54
alwayswaiting wrote:
drwithe wrote:

May I ask if you had provided any new information / supporting docs to turn the "not invited" status into a WL and eventually an interview?

All best with the interview!

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Current Student

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2015, 20:00
seechange wrote:
alwayswaiting wrote:
drwithe wrote:

May I ask if you had provided any new information / supporting docs to turn the "not invited" status into a WL and eventually an interview?

All best with the interview!

I submitted an award from work before I was officially given the WL but after all the interviews had concluded. I might see if I can firm up my application in a couple places now.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

How Fuqua Helps Students Make an Impact [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2015, 12:00
FROM Fuqua Current Student Blogs: How Fuqua Helps Students Make an Impact
In February, Fuqua hosted the 10th annual Sustainable Business & Social Impact (SBSI) conference, and it served as a great reminder for the reasons I choose Duke more than two years ago. The opportunities to get involved in the social impact and sustainability spaces are endless!

As I reflect on the last two years, my involvement with the Net Impact Club is a highlight. In addition to participating in the incredible 2014 and 2015 SBSI conferences which were organized by the club, I helped plan the Week in Cities treks in San Francisco and New York City as a member of its cabinet. The Net Impact Club has accomplished a lot over the last two years: two popular Day in Durham service events, many interesting lunch and learns, integration of social impact cases into the curriculum, and much more!

During my first year, I participated in the Fuqua Client Consulting Practicum (FCCP) in South Africa, which remains one of my favorite experiences at Fuqua. Working with awesome classmates on a business model that helps the ‘bottom of the pyramid’ was very rewarding. In my first year, I also took advantage of social impact coursework and enrolled in Social Entrepreneurship with Cathy Clark.

Even though I feel like I’ve done a lot in the social impact space, there is so much that I didn’t have time to explore! The Center for the Advancement of Social Entrepreneurship (CASE) offers so many opportunities: CASE i3, Fuqua on Board, Social Entrepreneurship Accelerator at Duke (SEAD), fellowship programs, financial aid programs, career support and more. Learn more about CASE’s student offerings for students here. Even the larger Duke community offers opportunities to engage in the social impact space with students from across campus with programs like Duke Interdisciplinary Social Innovators (DISI), as just one example.

As my time here is winding down, I really wish I had two more years to do it all!

ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

This post has been originally posted on the Admissions Blog and re-posted here for convenience

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

VP
VP
B

Kudos [?]: 468 [0], given: 19

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2015, 15:53
Stereotypical view of MBA schools: If you want to work for Apple, go to Fuqua

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/12/educa ... to-go.html

Kudos [?]: 468 [0], given: 19

Current Student

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2015, 09:01
Will be in Durham to interview the afternoon of the 23rd. Will be apartment hunting in Chapel Hill the next day. Oh the joys of the wait list. At least the two schools are extremely close to each other.

Current Student

Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q46 V47
GPA: 3.52
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2015, 21:13
I'll see you there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 1

Concentration: Nonprofit, Technology
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2015, 16:15
How common is it for a waitlisted applicant to receive a "deny" on the Round 3 decision deadline? Someone has offered to write a letter of recommendation, but probably won't have it finished before the Round 3 decision date. I don't want to be denied before I can get it in.

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2015, 08:40
trivium wrote:
How common is it for a waitlisted applicant to receive a "deny" on the Round 3 decision deadline? Someone has offered to write a letter of recommendation, but probably won't have it finished before the Round 3 decision date. I don't want to be denied before I can get it in.

It is my understanding that all cards are played regarding waitlisted applicants. Deadline for new materials, except score updates, was April 8th.

Cheers

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Current Student

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2015, 08:49
A question for people who interviewed in previous rounds or even current students: When the interview page says "business casual" dress, do they actually expect business casual, or is it kind of unspoken that they are looking for more professional dress (full suit is what was standard for every other b-school interview I had)? In the event that business casual is actually what they want, is something like a dress shirt and nice khakis okay? Tie or no tie (or bow tie, haha)?

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
B

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 1

Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE: Information Technology (Insurance)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2015, 09:00
This post received
KUDOS
alwayswaiting wrote:
A question for people who interviewed in previous rounds or even current students: When the interview page says "business casual" dress, do they actually expect business casual, or is it kind of unspoken that they are looking for more professional dress (full suit is what was standard for every other b-school interview I had)? In the event that business casual is actually what they want, is something like a dress shirt and nice khakis okay? Tie or no tie (or bow tie, haha)?

I personally wore a suit but I don't remember what everyone else wore, but I would guess most others did too. I can't imagine that you would be penalized for over-dressing for the interview.
But if you choose no suit, I would still wear a tie at the very least.

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 1

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
B

Kudos [?]: 16 [1] , given: 13

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2015, 10:48
This post received
KUDOS
alwayswaiting wrote:

Wear a full suit.

Kudos [?]: 16 [1] , given: 13

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 42 [1] , given: 17

GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Sales (Other)

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2015, 12:07
This post received
KUDOS
20MBA15 wrote:
alwayswaiting wrote:

Wear a full suit.

Definitely suit and tie. It's safe and can't possibly backfire. Good luck

Kudos [?]: 42 [1] , given: 17

Current Student

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2015, 12:09
Suit it is.

Thank you for the input everyone! I appreciate it!

Current Student

Concentration: Nonprofit, Technology
WE: Education (Education)
Calling all Duke-Fuqua Applicants(2015 Intake) Class of 2017 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2015, 13:14
AlejandroCL wrote:
trivium wrote:

It is my understanding that all cards are played regarding waitlisted applicants. Deadline for new materials, except score updates, was April 8th.

Cheers

So is this a firm deadline, meaning they won't even consider new materials? The email I received in January offered them as deadlines "to make sure this additional information is evaluated."

I assume they would still accept materials after. The email also said the following: "If you are in progress on updates at these times (e.g., scheduled to take the GMAT during February), please do submit any new information by March 9th for Round 2 or by May 1st for Round 3 to ensure inclusion in your file prior to decision release." This should presumably include LORs.

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 3

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2015, 14:05
This post received
KUDOS
alwayswaiting wrote:
Suit it is.

Thank you for the input everyone! I appreciate it!

Suit and tie for sure. Even if you're doing the events involved with the interview. Dont be that one guy, who stands out for not being dressed correctly.

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 3

Re: Calling all Duke-Fuqua Applicants(2015 Intake) Class of 2017   [#permalink] 13 Apr 2015, 14:05

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69  ...  71    Next  [ 1416 posts ]