[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 881: Undefined array key "c_ss"
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 890: Undefined array key "193_school_count"
Calling All Duke Fuqua MBA Applicants: 2024 Intake Class of 2026 : Fuqua - Page 11
Last visit was: 26 Jul 2024, 20:12 It is currently 26 Jul 2024, 20:12
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
   1  ...  9   10   11   12   13  ...  73   
Fuqua Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 174 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Fuqua Moderator
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 301
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
Re: Calling All Duke Fuqua MBA Applicants: 2024 Intake Class of 2026 [#permalink]
mainbhiankit wrote:
I’ll be super philosophical about this and ask you to focus on putting your best foot forward. Scholarship is something that is external and not in your control. Work on your application with a mindset that you want to get a full-ride (irrespective of the fact whether the school gives it or not). It’ll always pay off

Makes sense!
Fuqua Moderator
Send PM
Re: Calling All Duke Fuqua MBA Applicants: 2024 Intake Class of 2026 [#permalink]
tarynmilbourne wrote:
is Fuqua/Durham manageable without a car?

I sure hope so :P But on a serious note, I believe it is. 9th Street (where most of the students live) is around 35 mins walking distance from the school. So, some days you walk, some days you car pool, some days you take a bus, and some days you take a cab. Tons of options
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 301
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
Jagmeister wrote:
If your question is whether we got scholarships. Then yes! we both did, I was waitlisted in R1 and then got off the waitlist in R2 with a 60k scholarship.

Getting out of a waitlist that too with a scholarship..Maan . Must have been some next level relief!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [0]
Given Kudos: 137
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37 (Online)
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 4
Send PM
tarynmilbourne wrote:
is Fuqua/Durham manageable without a car?

in addition to what Ankit mentioned, here’s something from a fuqua FAQ:

" I would definitely recommend a car. Many students come from New York or California and have not had a car in years, so when they get to Durham, they purchase a car. There are buses around campus, but personally, it’s easier for me to have my car to get up and go when I please. Plus, you’ll probably get involved in some off-campus activities around the area, so you may want your own transportation to get around. If you decide to go without a car, however, you’ll find that your classmates are pretty nice, and are usually willing to give you a ride to and from class! Luckily, all business students get parking passes that are fairly close to Fuqua."

it’s all about personal preference, having a car is always good, but Durham is definitely more manageable than a lot of other B-School towns, if you don’t have your own means of transport!

Originally posted by Jagmeister on 14 Jun 2023, 15:51.
Last edited by Jagmeister on 14 Jun 2023, 15:52, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
thanks!
Fuqua Moderator
Send PM
PSP92 wrote:
Getting out of a waitlist that too with a scholarship..Maan . Must have been some next level relief!!

You’ve no idea. But the excitement fades away once the news settles in. Then you’ve to get excited about networking, pre-mba recruiting events, pre-mba summer course work, visa arrangements, travel and accommodation arrangements, finances. It never stops
Manager
Manager
Send PM
PSP92 wrote:

Dream. Come. True. I will never forget that moment when I got my admit call.

mainbhiankit wrote:
You’ve no idea. But the excitement fades away once the news settles in. Then you’ve to get excited about networking, pre-mba recruiting events, pre-mba summer course work, visa arrangements, travel and accommodation arrangements, finances. It never stops

hahahha yes! I was so wrong to think that once you get the admit call, everything is sorted.

There’s so much to do! It’s hectic and intense, but fun in its own way!

Originally posted by Jagmeister on 14 Jun 2023, 15:52.
Last edited by Jagmeister on 14 Jun 2023, 15:54, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Curious what pre-mba summer course is Fuqua offering?

Jagmeister wrote:
Dream. Come. True. I will never forget that moment when I got my admit call.

I’m sure that was quite a heavy lift. Mind shedding some light on things that helped your augment your profile during WL?

Originally posted by Smackingfreeze on 14 Jun 2023, 15:54.
Last edited by Smackingfreeze on 14 Jun 2023, 15:56, edited 1 time in total.
Fuqua Moderator
Send PM
Smackingfreeze wrote:
Curious what pre-mba summer course is Fuqua offering?

Um, so you start of with MBA Math. Then there are events hosted by CMC, there’s resume work, etc. - all of it happens in the summer. There’s something called the BCA, which is basically a very detailed course to make everyone adept in excel. Then there’s BCC for some. We have a detailed to-do list that we need to keep a track of. It’s hectic, but as Tejas said, it’s fun in its own way

off*
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Fantastic. It seems to be very structured.
Fuqua Moderator
Send PM
And outside of Fuqua, if you’re recruiting for consulting or IB, you have pre-mba events which basically allow you to gather as much detail and intel as you can so that you can customize your cover letter once the recruitment starts

also network with other people from the firms you’re targeting

Originally posted by mainbhiankit on 14 Jun 2023, 15:59.
Last edited by mainbhiankit on 14 Jun 2023, 16:00, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
How did you approach conversations with adcom to best introduce yourself and get your questions answered?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Smackingfreeze wrote:
I’m sure that was quite a heavy lift. Mind shedding some light on things that helped your augment your profile during WL?

I shared 2 updates with the adcom post my waitlist decision:

Update 1) I informed them about a fast-track promotion and international award that I received. Along with this, I updated them about some Product Management Certifications that I had undertaken and some updates from my extracurricular work.

Update 2) This one was very specific to WHY fuqua continued to be my top choice. Here I shared a picture of a Fuqua Tshirt that my parents had gifted me because, in their words they were "100% sure that the call would come!". I spoke about my experience of interacting with the Fuqua students, admissions committee, faculty and how it stood out from other schools giving personal stories from a few of these interactions.
Fuqua Moderator
Send PM
jcobrien wrote:
How did you approach conversations with adcom to best introduce yourself and get your questions answered?

Just be real. Don’t network for the sake of it. Have genuine questions about the school and try to learn about the school as much as you can. Do your research in advance and make the most of the 15 minutes you get!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Jagmeister wrote:
I shared 2 updates with the adcom post my waitlist decision: Update 1) I informed them about a fast-track promotion and international award that I received. Along with this, I updated them about some Product Management Certifications that I had undertaken and some updates from my extracurricular work. Update 2) This one was very specific to WHY fuqua continued to be my top choice. Here I shared a picture of a Fuqua Tshirt that my parents had gifted me because, in their words they were "100% sure that the call would come!". I spoke about my experience of interacting with the Fuqua students, admissions committee, faculty and how it stood out from other schools giving personal stories from a few of these interactions.

Very cool - thanks.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
mainbhiankit wrote:
Just be real. Don’t network for the sake of it. Have genuine questions about the school and try to learn about the school as much as you can. Do your research in advance and make the most of the 15 minutes you get!

Thanks!
Fuqua Moderator
Send PM
Smackingfreeze wrote:

I missed this question, but unlike Tejas, I had zero chill. I sent in 10-11 updates ranging from an updated test score, to professional accomplishments, to new volunteering projects that I started, to MBA Math, to additional recommendation, to an updated resume. After every update, I used to schedule a coffee chat with the admissions officer I connected the most with and gave them a quick summary of the updates that I had submitted after which I asked "what would the adcom like to see next that would help them extinguish any concerns they might have pertaining to my candidacy".

Another relevant advice: DO NOT be restricted by your geography’s admission advisor. I tried connecting with Morgan but I never felt that connect with her unfortunately (and that’s okay). So, I reached out to Meghan Pollard and she was literally my advocate and cheerleader throughout the process.

Fun fact: I gave this "have zero chill" advice to two other waitlisted applicants and they got admitted 5 and 10 days after my admit respectively. Being optimistic and demonstrating interest works - at least for Fuqua.

Originally posted by mainbhiankit on 14 Jun 2023, 16:07.
Last edited by mainbhiankit on 14 Jun 2023, 16:09, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  9   10   11   12   13  ...  73   
Moderator:
Haas & Fuqua Moderator
53 posts