Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 14:11 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 14:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.99
WE:Business Development (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GRE 1: Q161 V170
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
WE:General Management (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Re: Calling all HBS Applicants - (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 [#permalink]
I interviewed last week in New York. Similar to what others have said the interviewer was friendly, but he definitely came at me from the beginning. We did not touch my resume, or any of the traditional leadership questions that I had anticipated, instead he asked mainly curve ball questions really from every direction. I feel like I did well, I made a point to be articulate and conversational in my responses. To echo what others have said though, it was very apparent that his purpose was to get me off of my script and then push me around to see how I reacted. I think I reacted well, and he definitely had me off of my script from the first to the last question.

My interview was 44 minutes long though, not sure if that is a good or bad sign! In the beginning he said there wouldn't be time for questions, and as we were wrapping up I knew we were already past time so I was very surprised when he said, "Do you have any questions?", and then after I asked one and he responded, he asked me, "What is another question?"!

Whether I get in or not I know I did my best and there is no way I could have been more prepared for the interview. I am grateful that I did plenty of mock interviews and personal preparation beforehand though, had I not there is no way I would not have been a deer in the headlights 5 minutes into the conversation.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: HBS '17 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.5
WE:Consulting (Transportation)
Send PM
Webster wrote:
tunasalad wrote:
19218698 wrote:
Webster - thanks for the writeup. I think your experience was very similar to my own at HBS - very heavily based on previous experience wtih less of a focus on my future plans.

Seperate question: During the post-interview session with Dee, she mentioned that any fellowships/scholarships are need-based, and gave a threshold for average past 3 year income, which if you are under, would likely mean you would receive SOME sort of fellowship/scholarship aid. I believe she mentioned $130k, but I don't have the exact number anymore - does anyone remember what the figure is?

I heard $125K.

In our session I believe she said "About $120K." It was a pleasant surprise for me; would've guessed the threshold was appreciably lower.

That is awesome news! I didn't hear a number thrown out. Yay for being poor haah :P
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Operations
GMAT 1: 680 Q41 V41
GMAT 2: 660 Q42 V40
GMAT 3: 690 Q42 V41
GPA: 3.03
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Interview was a blur! Here are a few thinks I remember:

1. Know your resume well. You will be asked specific to your experience.
2. Know about how the recession affected your industry and your life. I know 2 other peeps who had the same exact question asked.
3. 1 other person and myself were asked about entrepreneurship and how often I thought about "getting rich quick" and what business ideas would allow that to happen. Keep in mind I am NOT an entrepreneur!
4. Would you still attend HBS if you won the lottery?
5. Where do you see yourself 30 years from now?
6. What do you think about the M&A market right now? I blanked out on this.
7. Is your job logical? Why or why not? I know of 2 other people who got this same question.

Overall a very intense but friendly process. No time for questions at the end. Good luck to everybody! I know I will remember some questions here and there, so I will post more when I have a long enough list but they were fairly farfetched and unrelated to my profession!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 151 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GRE 1: Q166 V160
GPA: 3.74
Send PM
Hi folks,

I just gave my GMAT and got a 710 (q49 [79%]and v38[85%]), combined percentile 92. I also have a GRE score of 326 with 84 percentile in verbal and 93 percentile in math. I am now planning to apply to HBS in round 2, but I am confused which score to use?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3468 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
Send PM
Sorry, when you say $125K or $130K, is that average annual income over the past 3 years? Or total? I'm guessing the former?

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Operations
GMAT 1: 680 Q41 V41
GMAT 2: 660 Q42 V40
GMAT 3: 690 Q42 V41
GPA: 3.03
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
whiplash2411 wrote:
Sorry, when you say $125K or $130K, is that average annual income over the past 3 years? Or total? I'm guessing the former?

Average annual!
SVP
SVP
Send PM
harvardmbaapplicant wrote:
whiplash2411 wrote:

Average annual!

Oh wow, that is definitely surprising - would have expected it to be lower (but totally not complaining haha). Thanks for the info!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Nonprofit, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
Send PM
I apologize for this dumb question, but for Harvard's essay question, it says "You’re applying to Harvard Business School. We can see your resume, school transcripts, extra-curricular activities, awards, post-MBA career goals, test scores and what your recommenders have to say about you. What else would you like us to know as we consider your candidacy?" I'm confused with the part that says they know about my post MBA career goals. I feel that none of the other components of the application conveys my post MBA goals (Transcript, GMAT, GPA, recommendations, resume). If I don't write about my post-MBA goals in the essay, they won't know my goals then? Appreciate any perspective.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [1]
Given Kudos: 28
WE:General Management (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Kudos
If you look in the app there is a short answer question related to your post MBA goals.

copyright3k wrote:
I apologize for this dumb question, but for Harvard's essay question, it says "You’re applying to Harvard Business School. We can see your resume, school transcripts, extra-curricular activities, awards, post-MBA career goals, test scores and what your recommenders have to say about you. What else would you like us to know as we consider your candidacy?" I'm confused with the part that says they know about my post MBA career goals. I feel that none of the other components of the application conveys my post MBA goals (Transcript, GMAT, GPA, recommendations, resume). If I don't write about my post-MBA goals in the essay, they won't know my goals then? Appreciate any perspective.

Intern
Intern
Send PM
Ah! Thanks!! I see it now. 500 character limit. That's a short paragraph! Oh boy. It would be tricky to distill my dreams down to that.

Run4Fun wrote:
If you look in the app there is a short answer question related to your post MBA goals.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V41
GMAT 2: 700 Q45 V41
GPA: 3.64
WE:Corporate Finance (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
Doesn't mean you can't talk about your goals in the essay at all, just that you probably shouldn't have that be the primary focus. I told a few leadership stories and connected them to my goals at the end.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks for your insight. Hope your application journey is going well!

goinggolfing wrote:
Doesn't mean you can't talk about your goals in the essay at all, just that you probably shouldn't have that be the primary focus. I told a few leadership stories and connected them to my goals at the end.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Concentration: Real Estate, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 730 Q46 V44
GPA: 3.75
WE:Sales (Manufacturing)
Send PM
copyright3k wrote:
Ah! Thanks!! I see it now. 500 character limit. That's a short paragraph! Oh boy. It would be tricky to distill my dreams down to that.

Run4Fun wrote:

Yes, it is tricky, but I think it speaks to the fact that they want you to decide what to tell them more about. That could be your goals and your story as to why they are what they are. Or you could write about something completely unrelated. I ended up writing my essay about something completely unrelated, but it was 100% me. I think it really just depends on what you think is important for them to know about you.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I also want to write something unrelated, that's why I was concerned I didn't have anywhere else to convey my goals, but it all makes sense now!

acf5915 wrote:
copyright3k wrote:

Run4Fun wrote:

Yes, it is tricky, but I think it speaks to the fact that they want you to decide what to tell them more about. That could be your goals and your story as to why they are what they are. Or you could write about something completely unrelated. I ended up writing my essay about something completely unrelated, but it was 100% me. I think it really just depends on what you think is important for them to know about you.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 151 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GRE 1: Q166 V160
GPA: 3.74
Send PM
Hi guys,

any opinion on this...

megatron13 wrote:
Hi folks,

I just gave my GMAT and got a 710 (q49 [79%]and v38[85%]), combined percentile 92. I also have a GRE score of 326 with 84 percentile in verbal and 93 percentile in math. I am now planning to apply to HBS in round 2, but I am confused which score to use?
SVP
SVP
Send PM
I remember Dee mentioning at an admissions event that you could choose to write about a book that changed your life if you wanted to.

I think the HBS essay is deceptively simple, and tremendously hard to write at the same time. The post MBA career goal in the application is basically a 3 line summary of what you want to do, so it won't be a bad idea to talk about that in your essay if you choose to.

At the end of the day, I focused on the last part: what else do you want us to know? This could be about a personality trait that defines you as a person, a passion that has been a driving point for your professional or personal decisions in life, or your plans to create positive change in a field of choice. Just think about the "what else" part and tie it back to how you want to define yourself as a person to the admissions committee.

Hope this was helpful!

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
Send PM
megatron13 wrote:
Hi guys,

any opinion on this...

megatron13 wrote:
Hi folks,

My understanding is that they don't favor/prefer one test over the other. Looking at the percentiles you quoted, it seems you did better on the GRE. Your math score in particularly is quite a bit higher on the GRE, which will be important if you come from a non-quant background.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  28   29   30   31   32   33   34  ...  63   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts