GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 03 Jun 2020, 08:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Calling all INSEAD Applicants (Sept 2016 Intake) Class of July 2017!!

new topic post reply Update application status  
Director
Director
Am I InSEAD? Or a Sense of Belonging  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jan 2016, 17:00
FROM Insead Admissions Blog: Am I InSEAD? Or a Sense of Belonging
So here we go, the first few days of the INSEAD MBA Programme are over, and it’s time to reflect on whether one did the right choice in joining the The Business School For the World.

Am I truly InSEAD?

But who am I actually? What are my dreams and objectives? What is the story of my life that brought me to the Amphi Doriot? What am I expecting from this year: a career promotion? Unforgettable chateau parties? The award of academic honours of the Dean’s List? The orientation week was thus utterly devoted to identifying our core values and aspirations. Each one of us was encouraged to follow one’s particular path, distinguish herself or himself and avoid “making a dream of the neighbour your own one”.Image

Wow. After having worked in Investment Banking for about four years it was the first time I was told that following my personal dream was considered a Key Success Factor. I was asked not to follow, but to lead. The objective of the MBA course was not to make outstanding consultants or M&A associates from us, but to help to define our utmost qualities and find each one’s Ikigai – the Reason for Being (find an occupation “which you love”, “which you are good at”, “which the world needs” and “which you can be paid for”). I had a warm feeling that I was really in the right place.

This sense of belonging was further enhanced by the diversity of my fellow colleagues. In spite of all international conflicts and unfairness in the world, INSEAD managed to resemble people who are eager to go beyond prejudices. Having lived in four countries and speaking five foreign languages, I was surprised by the variety of nationalities that students represented. The 16D class happened to be an amazing mix of Russian-speaking Israelis and US-educated Saudis, together with Taiwan-born Canadians and French Chinese. In order to boost cooperation, the class was divided into small study groups selected by a special algorithm that picked up “incompatible profiles”. It was a pleasure to see how my study group of Lebanese and Greek engineers, an Indian banker and a Jordanian consultant was handling the first task of creating an advert for sober driving!

And of course, parties. I definitely belong there, too . The season was opened by a 100+ festive meeting at Chateau Fleury, which is 14km away from Fontainebleau. Surprisingly, it’s not only free alcohol that motivated guys and girls from Ukraine, Pakistan, Spain, Singapore and many other countries to find a non-drinking student and come through the night forest by car. I realised that all of us were driven by the same values of achievement and natural curiosity towards the unknown. Each of us was eager to share his or her life story, drowning out the music. Although we barely knew each other, the feeling of belonging was there. We were all InSEAD.
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors
Director
Director
Am I InSEAD? Or a Sense of Belonging  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jan 2016, 17:01
FROM Insead Admissions Blog1: Am I InSEAD? Or a Sense of Belonging
So here we go, the first few days of the INSEAD MBA Programme are over, and it’s time to reflect on whether one did the right choice in joining the The Business School For the World.

Am I truly InSEAD?

But who am I actually? What are my dreams and objectives? What is the story of my life that brought me to the Amphi Doriot? What am I expecting from this year: a career promotion? Unforgettable chateau parties? The award of academic honours of the Dean’s List? The orientation week was thus utterly devoted to identifying our core values and aspirations. Each one of us was encouraged to follow one’s particular path, distinguish herself or himself and avoid “making a dream of the neighbour your own one”.Image

Wow. After having worked in Investment Banking for about four years it was the first time I was told that following my personal dream was considered a Key Success Factor. I was asked not to follow, but to lead. The objective of the MBA course was not to make outstanding consultants or M&A associates from us, but to help to define our utmost qualities and find each one’s Ikigai – the Reason for Being (find an occupation “which you love”, “which you are good at”, “which the world needs” and “which you can be paid for”). I had a warm feeling that I was really in the right place.

This sense of belonging was further enhanced by the diversity of my fellow colleagues. In spite of all international conflicts and unfairness in the world, INSEAD managed to resemble people who are eager to go beyond prejudices. Having lived in four countries and speaking five foreign languages, I was surprised by the variety of nationalities that students represented. The 16D class happened to be an amazing mix of Russian-speaking Israelis and US-educated Saudis, together with Taiwan-born Canadians and French Chinese. In order to boost cooperation, the class was divided into small study groups selected by a special algorithm that picked up “incompatible profiles”. It was a pleasure to see how my study group of Lebanese and Greek engineers, an Indian banker and a Jordanian consultant was handling the first task of creating an advert for sober driving!

And of course, parties. I definitely belong there, too . The season was opened by a 100+ festive meeting at Chateau Fleury, which is 14km away from Fontainebleau. Surprisingly, it’s not only free alcohol that motivated guys and girls from Ukraine, Pakistan, Spain, Singapore and many other countries to find a non-drinking student and come through the night forest by car. I realised that all of us were driven by the same values of achievement and natural curiosity towards the unknown. Each of us was eager to share his or her life story, drowning out the music. Although we barely knew each other, the feeling of belonging was there. We were all InSEAD.
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors
Director
Director
Leading up to the Start of Your MBA  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2016, 17:00
FROM Insead Admissions Blog: Leading up to the Start of Your MBA
Tick Tock… the clock was counting down and I was racing to finish packing my suitcases while also spending quality time with friends and family in Toronto, Canada before my flight to Singapore. I was scheduled to arrive in Singapore one week before classes start and just in time for New Year’s Eve to see the world-renowned firework celebrations. Through various channels of social media, I had a brief idea of fellow students who may be in Singapore for New Year’s Eve and for the week before classes but had no concrete plans by the time I landed in Singapore. Once I landed, I thought to myself, “I don’t even know anyone here, what am I going to do for a whole week?”

Within a day, I met a handful of other students looking to start exploring the city. A student, whom I had never met before, even reached out to me and said “I’m in Singapore now, actually lived here for the past 7 years, let me know if you want to meet up before school starts and I can show you around the city”. I was extremely surprised, grateful, and truly began to feel part of the INSEAD family. Our classmate and expert volunteer tour guide showed another student and myself how the subway/metro system works, local shops and delicious cuisine, and gave us many other tips typically only known to locals.

This kindness is what epitomizes the INSEAD family. In the days after this city tour, we had a number of student organized events including a dinner with over 100 students before our first day of orientation. Arriving early is a great way to get to know many of your classmates and to clear any administrative tasks (student visa, cell phone, bank accounts, etc.) before classes start. Once classes start, it’s a fun and exciting challenge! Remember to have a pre-matriculation strategy and to take some time off to recharge before starting your transformational MBA experience!

Until Next Time,

Aly

Photo Source: Pixabay public domain (edited by Aly Madhavji)
Director
Director
Leading up to the Start of Your MBA  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2016, 17:01
FROM Insead Admissions Blog1: Leading up to the Start of Your MBA
Tick Tock… the clock was counting down and I was racing to finish packing my suitcases while also spending quality time with friends and family in Toronto, Canada before my flight to Singapore. I was scheduled to arrive in Singapore one week before classes start and just in time for New Year’s Eve to see the world-renowned firework celebrations. Through various channels of social media, I had a brief idea of fellow students who may be in Singapore for New Year’s Eve and for the week before classes but had no concrete plans by the time I landed in Singapore. Once I landed, I thought to myself, “I don’t even know anyone here, what am I going to do for a whole week?”

Within a day, I met a handful of other students looking to start exploring the city. A student, whom I had never met before, even reached out to me and said “I’m in Singapore now, actually lived here for the past 7 years, let me know if you want to meet up before school starts and I can show you around the city”. I was extremely surprised, grateful, and truly began to feel part of the INSEAD family. Our classmate and expert volunteer tour guide showed another student and myself how the subway/metro system works, local shops and delicious cuisine, and gave us many other tips typically only known to locals.

This kindness is what epitomizes the INSEAD family. In the days after this city tour, we had a number of student organized events including a dinner with over 100 students before our first day of orientation. Arriving early is a great way to get to know many of your classmates and to clear any administrative tasks (student visa, cell phone, bank accounts, etc.) before classes start. Once classes start, it’s a fun and exciting challenge! Remember to have a pre-matriculation strategy and to take some time off to recharge before starting your transformational MBA experience!

Until Next Time,

Aly

Photo Source: Pixabay public domain (edited by Aly Madhavji)
Director
Director
Splash Project: building a new MBA community  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2016, 18:00
FROM Insead Admissions Blog: Splash Project: building a new MBA community
So here we are during the Welcome Week, trying to process an overwhelming amount of information and discovering our new classmates who all tend to have unsuspected backgrounds, nationalities and hobbies.

75 different nationalities are represented this year in our December class and this means a few things for all of us:

• There is no cultural dominance within the different sections.
  • We are all confronted with new cultures and unusual ways of looking into things.
  • Despite our international exposure, deep-rooted within us, we still may have some remaining clichés about a few countries. There is a nothing wrong with that. Even the most open-minded person is still the result of his education and needs to admit that he may have a few biases towards other not-well-known cultures.
In other words, as terribly exciting as it can be, it can also lead to a huge mess of incomprehension and mental shortcuts during the first days… Trust me, we’ve all been there! INSEAD knows pretty well the challenge (as well as the benefits) of mixing such a wide range of personal backgrounds and cultures and the Splash Project provides an answer to that. Despite a very intensive 1-year programme, we are all set in motion during the Welcome Week to work on a challenging and socially meaningful project.

This year, in Singapore, it was mainly about building a new cycle track circuit for socially challenged children (a project led with the help of the Splash Community and the Salvation Army).

With 3 different sections and 3 working days, we all had our daily objectives. Starting on the first day, our main challenge was essentially to come up with some solid foundations for the other sections to take on.

Building a real track circuit from few plans on a paper seemed more complicated than we originally expected. But apart from the specificities of measuring, cutting and assembling various pieces of woods, we learned a few basic things from our local team:

• Intercultural Communication – Politeness Vs. Effectiveness: as someone brilliantly said, we all want to be polite and avoid committing any blunder related to someone else’s personal background. But at the same time, we have a common goal to reach and we may need to be more direct sometimes to stay effective. It is all about finding a right balance between politeness and effectiveness in this multicultural environment.
  • Team Structure – Collective Leadership Vs. Central Leadership: we started with a collective leadership, splitting our team in smaller independent teams. Although a decentralised organisation can be very effective in the short term, we understood quite rapidly that we needed to set a central leadership within our local team. Even in small organisations, leaders may be needed to set the trend and keep all members united.
  •  Mental Condition – Preparing Vs. Lasting: mental condition is key in this kind of assignment. The tasks are sometimes quite physical and repetitive during the day. Added to that, the tropical climate doesn’t really help. Starting with a strong mental preparation is one thing, but keeping that mental condition during the day is another challenge. We found out that having regular 5 minutes break sessions in the shade helped us to stay focused and resourceful. We may need to find a tree on campus for our future projects…

For all those lessons learned and for this opportunity to work on a Splash project, we would like to thank the Splash Community, the Salvation Army and INSEAD. We are just at the very beginning of our MBA journey, still learning from each other and progressively becoming aware of our cultural biases. This coming year will be definitively challenging, but promising as well thanks to the diversity INSEAD managed to bring.

Director
Director
Splash Project: building a new MBA community  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2016, 18:01
FROM Insead Admissions Blog1: Splash Project: building a new MBA community
So here we are during the Welcome Week, trying to process an overwhelming amount of information and discovering our new classmates who all tend to have unsuspected backgrounds, nationalities and hobbies.

75 different nationalities are represented this year in our December class and this means a few things for all of us:

• There is no cultural dominance within the different sections.
  • We are all confronted with new cultures and unusual ways of looking into things.
  • Despite our international exposure, deep-rooted within us, we still may have some remaining clichés about a few countries. There is a nothing wrong with that. Even the most open-minded person is still the result of his education and needs to admit that he may have a few biases towards other not-well-known cultures.
In other words, as terribly exciting as it can be, it can also lead to a huge mess of incomprehension and mental shortcuts during the first days… Trust me, we’ve all been there! INSEAD knows pretty well the challenge (as well as the benefits) of mixing such a wide range of personal backgrounds and cultures and the Splash Project provides an answer to that. Despite a very intensive 1-year programme, we are all set in motion during the Welcome Week to work on a challenging and socially meaningful project.

This year, in Singapore, it was mainly about building a new cycle track circuit for socially challenged children (a project led with the help of the Splash Community and the Salvation Army).

With 3 different sections and 3 working days, we all had our daily objectives. Starting on the first day, our main challenge was essentially to come up with some solid foundations for the other sections to take on.

Building a real track circuit from few plans on a paper seemed more complicated than we originally expected. But apart from the specificities of measuring, cutting and assembling various pieces of woods, we learned a few basic things from our local team:

• Intercultural Communication – Politeness Vs. Effectiveness: as someone brilliantly said, we all want to be polite and avoid committing any blunder related to someone else’s personal background. But at the same time, we have a common goal to reach and we may need to be more direct sometimes to stay effective. It is all about finding a right balance between politeness and effectiveness in this multicultural environment.
  • Team Structure – Collective Leadership Vs. Central Leadership: we started with a collective leadership, splitting our team in smaller independent teams. Although a decentralised organisation can be very effective in the short term, we understood quite rapidly that we needed to set a central leadership within our local team. Even in small organisations, leaders may be needed to set the trend and keep all members united.
  •  Mental Condition – Preparing Vs. Lasting: mental condition is key in this kind of assignment. The tasks are sometimes quite physical and repetitive during the day. Added to that, the tropical climate doesn’t really help. Starting with a strong mental preparation is one thing, but keeping that mental condition during the day is another challenge. We found out that having regular 5 minutes break sessions in the shade helped us to stay focused and resourceful. We may need to find a tree on campus for our future projects…

For all those lessons learned and for this opportunity to work on a Splash project, we would like to thank the Splash Community, the Salvation Army and INSEAD. We are just at the very beginning of our MBA journey, still learning from each other and progressively becoming aware of our cultural biases. This coming year will be definitively challenging, but promising as well thanks to the diversity INSEAD managed to bring.

Intern
Intern
Re: Calling all INSEAD Applicants (Sept 2016 Intake) Class of July 2017!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2016, 12:30
Hey guys, quick question.
For your CVs did you follow the format from INSEAD website or just the standard format?
My CV is already in a good shape, but if it makes any difference, I would redo it to match the INSEAD format.

Could someone pitch in regarding the importance of this issue?

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Healthcare
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
Re: Calling all INSEAD Applicants (Sept 2016 Intake) Class of July 2017!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2016, 14:15
blockman wrote:
For your CVs did you follow the format from INSEAD website or just the standard format?
My CV is already in a good shape, but if it makes any difference, I would redo it to match the INSEAD format.

Thanks!

I was happy with the format of my CV and submitted it as is, don't think it's a major issue :)
Director
Director
Reboot in Realworld Mode  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2016, 22:00
FROM Insead Admissions Blog: Reboot in Realworld Mode
I am a month removed from the joyous graduation of the 15D promotion, which has given some time for the euphoria to dissipate and objective reflection to be undertaken. I will attempt to avoid the stereotypical words and phrases that accompany the end of an MBA program, “path” and “journey” come to mind but I’ll apologise in advance for any such transgressions. With this being my last entry I‘d like to summarise the year and share my thoughts for post INSEAD life.

If I start with word association, “intense” is the first term that pops into my head. 2015 would be best described as a rip-roaring rollercoaster with emotion-volatising loops and twists. The source of this commotion is the sheer volume of content that needs to be assimilated. Firstly, there are classes and coursework, then there is recruitment, and on top of these there is socialising, which consists of dinners, house parties, national weeks and of course, traveling. This doesn’t even consider family, entrepreneurship and the basic staples: eating and sleeping.

In hindsight this seems rather overwhelming but I never felt this way in situ because I didn’t have the time to feel overwhelmed. Instead, I felt like my mind was racing to get through my tasks. INSEAD is an intellectual adrenaline junkie’s paradise. I was generally in control of my obligations because I know I made some decisions very early on about what I did and did not what to do, for example I had no interest to pursue a role in the pharmaceutical sector so I could then focus more on consulting. I may have built up such strong barriers during the internship recruitment process that I put too much emphasis on consulting and ignored opportunities that would have interested me. I was more open minded during the full time recruitment cycle and as a result I have found a role in a company, industry and geography that was not on my radar at all during the MBA. However, it took many attempts and tries before this ‘success.’ I thought that I would be more resilient when receiving rejections but I needed such occasions to acknowledge my fallibilities and prove that I was human. There were many moments throughout the year when I felt woefully unaccomplished in comparison to my classmates and a fraud for being admitted to the school but I was supported by my friends and I in turn supported them when such thoughts arose in them.

I came to INSEAD with a strong sense of self awareness and core values, and I leave with the next iteration of these personal development elements. INSEAD exposed me to so many components of business and life that the feelings of anxiety and inadequacy that engulfed me during the investment banking internship recruitment process in week two evolved in confidence and comfort when dealing with ambiguity during the program. I suspect that this pendulum swing veered too far such that I developed a small god complex that I felt like I could do anything but I’m glad that this sentiment has since dissipated. I have greater awareness of my strengths and weaknesses, and what I would like to improve or not. I treat the MBA as a forum to prepare to mentally think like a CEO and exceptional CEOs coordinate a team of exceptional talent rather than consolidate power, responsibility and work. My most pertinent examples of such CEO types are Bob Iger and Michael Eisner of Disney.

Now, looking forward to my post INSEAD world, I’m excited by the prospect of changing all three characteristics of work as mentioned above. Conversely, I do not have the feeling of missing INSEAD but I do appreciate how the MBA has affected me. It was a great year of my life but not the best; it was a life changing year but not the most transformative. My stoicism prevents me from giving such superlatives labels to the program and I may not have taken as many as advantages as I should have. I will not allow myself to feel regret and I will accept the choices that I have made. I am conscious that my classmates may have undergone the best year of their lives and I’m happy to accept that. Yet I will (controversially) state INSEAD has installed the foundations in our lives for even better years. I am pragmatic and am not anchoring any expectations but I will be so bold.

Now I bid adieu. It has been a privilege to share my thoughts about the INSEAD MBA in 2015. I have tried to shed light on the maelstrom that envelops a small quarter of France and Singapore (and now Abu Dhabi) each year. I’ve had the honour of encountering a battalion of world citizens who are about to ignite the rocket that they have built this year and blaze a trail. The world is fast becoming fragmented so let us become a cohesive force to reverse this corrosive trend by proving that “The Business School for the World” is indeed that.

Director
Director
Reboot in Realworld Mode  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2016, 22:01
FROM Insead Admissions Blog1: Reboot in Realworld Mode
I am a month removed from the joyous graduation of the 15D promotion, which has given some time for the euphoria to dissipate and objective reflection to be undertaken. I will attempt to avoid the stereotypical words and phrases that accompany the end of an MBA program, “path” and “journey” come to mind but I’ll apologise in advance for any such transgressions. With this being my last entry I‘d like to summarise the year and share my thoughts for post INSEAD life.

If I start with word association, “intense” is the first term that pops into my head. 2015 would be best described as a rip-roaring rollercoaster with emotion-volatising loops and twists. The source of this commotion is the sheer volume of content that needs to be assimilated. Firstly, there are classes and coursework, then there is recruitment, and on top of these there is socialising, which consists of dinners, house parties, national weeks and of course, traveling. This doesn’t even consider family, entrepreneurship and the basic staples: eating and sleeping.

In hindsight this seems rather overwhelming but I never felt this way in situ because I didn’t have the time to feel overwhelmed. Instead, I felt like my mind was racing to get through my tasks. INSEAD is an intellectual adrenaline junkie’s paradise. I was generally in control of my obligations because I know I made some decisions very early on about what I did and did not what to do, for example I had no interest to pursue a role in the pharmaceutical sector so I could then focus more on consulting. I may have built up such strong barriers during the internship recruitment process that I put too much emphasis on consulting and ignored opportunities that would have interested me. I was more open minded during the full time recruitment cycle and as a result I have found a role in a company, industry and geography that was not on my radar at all during the MBA. However, it took many attempts and tries before this ‘success.’ I thought that I would be more resilient when receiving rejections but I needed such occasions to acknowledge my fallibilities and prove that I was human. There were many moments throughout the year when I felt woefully unaccomplished in comparison to my classmates and a fraud for being admitted to the school but I was supported by my friends and I in turn supported them when such thoughts arose in them.

I came to INSEAD with a strong sense of self awareness and core values, and I leave with the next iteration of these personal development elements. INSEAD exposed me to so many components of business and life that the feelings of anxiety and inadequacy that engulfed me during the investment banking internship recruitment process in week two evolved in confidence and comfort when dealing with ambiguity during the program. I suspect that this pendulum swing veered too far such that I developed a small god complex that I felt like I could do anything but I’m glad that this sentiment has since dissipated. I have greater awareness of my strengths and weaknesses, and what I would like to improve or not. I treat the MBA as a forum to prepare to mentally think like a CEO and exceptional CEOs coordinate a team of exceptional talent rather than consolidate power, responsibility and work. My most pertinent examples of such CEO types are Bob Iger and Michael Eisner of Disney.

Now, looking forward to my post INSEAD world, I’m excited by the prospect of changing all three characteristics of work as mentioned above. Conversely, I do not have the feeling of missing INSEAD but I do appreciate how the MBA has affected me. It was a great year of my life but not the best; it was a life changing year but not the most transformative. My stoicism prevents me from giving such superlatives labels to the program and I may not have taken as many as advantages as I should have. I will not allow myself to feel regret and I will accept the choices that I have made. I am conscious that my classmates may have undergone the best year of their lives and I’m happy to accept that. Yet I will (controversially) state INSEAD has installed the foundations in our lives for even better years. I am pragmatic and am not anchoring any expectations but I will be so bold.

Now I bid adieu. It has been a privilege to share my thoughts about the INSEAD MBA in 2015. I have tried to shed light on the maelstrom that envelops a small quarter of France and Singapore (and now Abu Dhabi) each year. I’ve had the honour of encountering a battalion of world citizens who are about to ignite the rocket that they have built this year and blaze a trail. The world is fast becoming fragmented so let us become a cohesive force to reverse this corrosive trend by proving that “The Business School for the World” is indeed that.

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2016, 22:10
blockman wrote:

Thanks!

Yeah I agree with the above reply, my format seemed okay so I just uploaded the same.. Don't think it matters much right now as long as the information is clearly presented.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Sustainability
GPA: 3.23
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2016, 16:39
cybluebird123 wrote:
converge wrote:
Anyone else got $$?

Not here to brag, but I got an Alumni Diversity Scholarship. Received a "personal" email from the Dean, who congratulated me and underlined that it is a unique achievement.

Wondering whether this is similar to investment banking "you are top of your class" rhetoric.

Hi converge,

Congratulations on the scholarship!

I am short-listed for a company-sponsored scholarship and INSEAD told me the final decision will come out around end of January, after they have considered applicants from both R1 and R2.

Cheers,

bluebird

Hi bluebird,

Can you please share how you got short-listed for such scholarship?

Thank you,
Director
Director
Zero Taxes vs Social Impact – A Letter to Pauline  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2016, 17:00
FROM Insead Admissions Blog: Zero Taxes vs Social Impact – A Letter to Pauline
Below is Pauline’s latest email:

“Raconte.” One word that calls for many. Pauline is French and she lives in Paris. She is a friend of mine, and a former colleague. We used to work for the same newspaper, she as a journalist and I as an art director. Her one-word e-mail means roughly: “Tell me how it goes”. When I first read it, my reaction was panic: Time has been so scarce since the MBA has started! I was about to write back: “all great — will tell you all next year — love— C.”

As a journalist, Pauline writes about economic and social issues. In her articles, she researches and reports social inequalities and social innovations. Before I told her about it, Pauline had never heard of INSEAD and the word “MBA” was, if anything, remotely familiar. Two years ago, the same was also true of me. Actually, many people in France outside the business world have little idea of what an MBA is. A (male, black) friend of mine, upon announcing he had been admitted to an MBA, was even asked suspiciously for how long he had been playing basketball!

When I told her about my plan, Pauline was however interested and supportive. So I decided to take the time to tell her – and other people for whom “I N S E A D  M B A” is just a bunch of random letters – about my year here, and about how this MBA is about making more than money. Here is my response to Pauline:

“So, Pauline, let me first tell you about the team building session that the school prepared for us. No skydiving or ropes course to help us hone our team spirit: instead, to the 75 of us were given blueprints, wood and tools, and instructions to start building a playground for a medical-educative center in the vicinity of Fontainebleau. After a day we handed the project over to another 75-persons group, and on it went. While we didn’t do it the exact way a construction company would have, we did a great job of it, and in record time. The association got the benefit of 300 individual days of work – including those of a good number of qualified civil engineers and project managers, some of whom had handled similar projects. The children were hanging around and talking with us when the language wasn’t too much of a barrier. They lent a hand with driving screws, carrying wood, and painting. I believe that seeing their backyard full of English-speaking individuals from all over the world was an experience in itself. And on the fourth day, they took possession of their playground. All paid by the school to make its students work together and give back.

The non-profit organization that took care of this team-building workshop specializes in offering leadership and teamwork training through carrying out real-life community projects. I find it a great example of connecting partners that wouldn’t otherwise have met to create reciprocal value.

Pauline, I’m sure you would have loved to be there.

Now let me tell you briefly about someone that I might have a chance to meet in a few weeks. Krystian is an “entrepreneur in residence”, meaning he’s around to give advice to us MBA students. A trained psychologist, he decided to leave Google where he used to work and to tackle an issue that he had observed in Ireland: psychological consultations were neither accessible (need for a referral, long waiting list) nor affordable to many, which fostered the development of long-term problems. So Krystian launched a non-profit social enterprise to provide psychological consultations at the moment when they were most needed. His project, named MyMind, now comprises four centers in Ireland, offering in-person and online consultations in more than 10 languages, which enables the migrant population to consult as well. There are three levels of prices, catering to the individual client’s financial means. While still developing his non-profit, Krystian studied at INSEAD on Social Entrepreneurship and Health Leadership programs. He received several social entrepreneurship awards, from 2009 to last year.

This is not to say that everyone at INSEAD cares more about social impact than about anything else. When students in my class have been asked about the values that are the most important to them, ‘family’ came first (71%) and ‘friends’ second (52%), far beyond ‘helping less advantaged people’ (24%), ‘environment and sustainable development’ (14%) and ‘social impact, civil society and NGOs’ (10%). [However, most of us tend to take care of those close to us before extending their attention farther, and it might not be fully relevant to ask someone to choose between ‘Family’ and ‘Sustainable development’.]

In the INSEAD library*, you can definitely find this type of book:

That being said, you can also find many books like those below, talking about how Carnegie established the public libraries and Yunnus the micro credits, reflecting on how to lastingly shift a current unsatisfactory equilibrium towards a fairer one.

My dear Pauline, I still don’t believe in a limited world in which we count on unlimited growth – as Bruno Latour puts it in an article in French daily newspaper Le Monde last week, ‘There is no planet corresponding to the Promised Land of globalization’. However, I am thrilled by the way some people use all the resources and rules of this very world for changing a small part of it for the better. I love that they do it with ambition, aiming at a large scale. Frankly, I am very admiring of quite a few people I’ve met – did I tell you that among the students, some have already worked in a socially meaningful way? I’ll tell you their stories another time.

Next week, I’ll join the Indevor Club, the INSEAD student organization for social impact. So, my friend, when you write an article that makes you think, ‘this should definitely be dealt with’, drop me a line. You never know. It could give a social entrepreneur a relevant idea…”

* The INSEAD library, where you can badge in at any time in the day or night and read or borrow books. Haven’t you been dreaming of such a library since childhood, when the communal one used to close at 5pm on some days and 6pm on others? I want to keep my badge forever. Unless I launch a night-libraries project.
Director
Director
Zero Taxes vs Social Impact – A Letter to Pauline  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2016, 17:01
FROM Insead Admissions Blog1: Zero Taxes vs Social Impact – A Letter to Pauline
Below is Pauline’s latest email:

“Raconte.” One word that calls for many. Pauline is French and she lives in Paris. She is a friend of mine, and a former colleague. We used to work for the same newspaper, she as a journalist and I as an art director. Her one-word e-mail means roughly: “Tell me how it goes”. When I first read it, my reaction was panic: Time has been so scarce since the MBA has started! I was about to write back: “all great — will tell you all next year — love— C.”

As a journalist, Pauline writes about economic and social issues. In her articles, she researches and reports social inequalities and social innovations. Before I told her about it, Pauline had never heard of INSEAD and the word “MBA” was, if anything, remotely familiar. Two years ago, the same was also true of me. Actually, many people in France outside the business world have little idea of what an MBA is. A (male, black) friend of mine, upon announcing he had been admitted to an MBA, was even asked suspiciously for how long he had been playing basketball!

When I told her about my plan, Pauline was however interested and supportive. So I decided to take the time to tell her – and other people for whom “I N S E A D  M B A” is just a bunch of random letters – about my year here, and about how this MBA is about making more than money. Here is my response to Pauline:

“So, Pauline, let me first tell you about the team building session that the school prepared for us. No skydiving or ropes course to help us hone our team spirit: instead, to the 75 of us were given blueprints, wood and tools, and instructions to start building a playground for a medical-educative center in the vicinity of Fontainebleau. After a day we handed the project over to another 75-persons group, and on it went. While we didn’t do it the exact way a construction company would have, we did a great job of it, and in record time. The association got the benefit of 300 individual days of work – including those of a good number of qualified civil engineers and project managers, some of whom had handled similar projects. The children were hanging around and talking with us when the language wasn’t too much of a barrier. They lent a hand with driving screws, carrying wood, and painting. I believe that seeing their backyard full of English-speaking individuals from all over the world was an experience in itself. And on the fourth day, they took possession of their playground. All paid by the school to make its students work together and give back.

The non-profit organization that took care of this team-building workshop specializes in offering leadership and teamwork training through carrying out real-life community projects. I find it a great example of connecting partners that wouldn’t otherwise have met to create reciprocal value.

Pauline, I’m sure you would have loved to be there.

Now let me tell you briefly about someone that I might have a chance to meet in a few weeks. Krystian is an “entrepreneur in residence”, meaning he’s around to give advice to us MBA students. A trained psychologist, he decided to leave Google where he used to work and to tackle an issue that he had observed in Ireland: psychological consultations were neither accessible (need for a referral, long waiting list) nor affordable to many, which fostered the development of long-term problems. So Krystian launched a non-profit social enterprise to provide psychological consultations at the moment when they were most needed. His project, named MyMind, now comprises four centers in Ireland, offering in-person and online consultations in more than 10 languages, which enables the migrant population to consult as well. There are three levels of prices, catering to the individual client’s financial means. While still developing his non-profit, Krystian studied at INSEAD on Social Entrepreneurship and Health Leadership programs. He received several social entrepreneurship awards, from 2009 to last year.

This is not to say that everyone at INSEAD cares more about social impact than about anything else. When students in my class have been asked about the values that are the most important to them, ‘family’ came first (71%) and ‘friends’ second (52%), far beyond ‘helping less advantaged people’ (24%), ‘environment and sustainable development’ (14%) and ‘social impact, civil society and NGOs’ (10%). [However, most of us tend to take care of those close to us before extending their attention farther, and it might not be fully relevant to ask someone to choose between ‘Family’ and ‘Sustainable development’.]

In the INSEAD library*, you can definitely find this type of book:

That being said, you can also find many books like those below, talking about how Carnegie established the public libraries and Yunnus the micro credits, reflecting on how to lastingly shift a current unsatisfactory equilibrium towards a fairer one.

My dear Pauline, I still don’t believe in a limited world in which we count on unlimited growth – as Bruno Latour puts it in an article in French daily newspaper Le Monde last week, ‘There is no planet corresponding to the Promised Land of globalization’. However, I am thrilled by the way some people use all the resources and rules of this very world for changing a small part of it for the better. I love that they do it with ambition, aiming at a large scale. Frankly, I am very admiring of quite a few people I’ve met – did I tell you that among the students, some have already worked in a socially meaningful way? I’ll tell you their stories another time.

Next week, I’ll join the Indevor Club, the INSEAD student organization for social impact. So, my friend, when you write an article that makes you think, ‘this should definitely be dealt with’, drop me a line. You never know. It could give a social entrepreneur a relevant idea…”

* The INSEAD library, where you can badge in at any time in the day or night and read or borrow books. Haven’t you been dreaming of such a library since childhood, when the communal one used to close at 5pm on some days and 6pm on others? I want to keep my badge forever. Unless I launch a night-libraries project.
MBA Section Director
V
Affiliations: GMAT Club
City: Pune
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2016, 14:22
AnnouncementLive Q&A with former INSEAD Admission Directors

Hello Everyone!! We are delighted to inform you that we are holding a chat session with Caroline Diarte Edwards, Director at Fortuna Admissions (former Director of Admissions at INSEAD) and Melissa Jones, Expert Admissions Coach at Fortuna Admissions (former Asst. Director at INSEAD).

Caroline and Melissa will dialogue with applicants in GMAT Club chat room on general admission questions and provide tips on getting into INSEAD. This is best opportunity for you to learn about what INSEAD from its former admission directors. So save this event to your Google Calendar and present in the chat room with your questions.

Date: February 11, 2016. Thursday
Time: 9 AM PST (5 PM GMT)
Place: GMAT Club Chat Room http://gmatclub.com/gchat/

Director
The day we became #1  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2016, 19:00
FROM Insead Admissions Blog: The day we became #1
Monday, January 25 of 2016, 7:27 AMImage

I reach INSEAD’s Singapore campus late for a gym class and for the start of another crazy packed week of school. There are balloons in the hallway, in different shades of green. I have no idea what is going on, but I love this school, never a dull moment. At the gym I overhear a conversation that the Financial Times has ranked INSEAD as the #1 MBA programme in the world. As far as I know, we’ve never been number one before; Harvard and the other top American schools were always in the pole position though we were consistently in the top five. I find it a bit hard to believe, but it’s Monday and I’m sleepy.

When I get back to the classroom hallway, and after checking social media and emails, there is no doubt we got the top spot, we are actually there! I’m still processing this wonderful news. Not that I had any doubts about our potential (and I’m not biased at all) but I honestly wasn’t expecting to be recognized like this. I feel as happy as when I got that call saying that I was admitted.

Several reasons contribute to this result and I’m not an expert on the subject or on the metrics used for the ranking, but I’m sure of one thing: creating an international community where we embrace diversity and promote understanding and respect is preparing us to be outstanding leaders in the future. It is the distinguishing factor of INSEAD and the reason why many of us have chosen to be a part of this school, and today the world has proven us right.

And as we are INSEAD, we celebrated this amazing victory with champagne – the 3 campuses simultaneously – in our little green “INSEAD #1” shirts. I feel a deep sense of accomplishment and belonging after this day, even if I haven’t actually done much to contribute to this outcome!

And now that we are #1, what do we do? We keep going, we work even harder to prove why we are here and deserve to stay. And I am thrilled to have a role in it now.

Congratulations INSEAD!

Director
Director
The day we became #1  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2016, 19:02
FROM Insead Admissions Blog1: The day we became #1
Monday, January 25 of 2016, 7:27 AMImage

I reach INSEAD’s Singapore campus late for a gym class and for the start of another crazy packed week of school. There are balloons in the hallway, in different shades of green. I have no idea what is going on, but I love this school, never a dull moment. At the gym I overhear a conversation that the Financial Times has ranked INSEAD as the #1 MBA programme in the world. As far as I know, we’ve never been number one before; Harvard and the other top American schools were always in the pole position though we were consistently in the top five. I find it a bit hard to believe, but it’s Monday and I’m sleepy.

When I get back to the classroom hallway, and after checking social media and emails, there is no doubt we got the top spot, we are actually there! I’m still processing this wonderful news. Not that I had any doubts about our potential (and I’m not biased at all) but I honestly wasn’t expecting to be recognized like this. I feel as happy as when I got that call saying that I was admitted.

Several reasons contribute to this result and I’m not an expert on the subject or on the metrics used for the ranking, but I’m sure of one thing: creating an international community where we embrace diversity and promote understanding and respect is preparing us to be outstanding leaders in the future. It is the distinguishing factor of INSEAD and the reason why many of us have chosen to be a part of this school, and today the world has proven us right.

And as we are INSEAD, we celebrated this amazing victory with champagne – the 3 campuses simultaneously – in our little green “INSEAD #1” shirts. I feel a deep sense of accomplishment and belonging after this day, even if I haven’t actually done much to contribute to this outcome!

And now that we are #1, what do we do? We keep going, we work even harder to prove why we are here and deserve to stay. And I am thrilled to have a role in it now.

Congratulations INSEAD!

Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2016, 23:47
Did anybody from R2 wait list hear from the adcom? I remember reading that the deadline for accepting R2 offers was sometime in Jan 2016. Has this deadline passed - can we expect to hear about R2 wait lists being cleared any time soon?
Intern
Intern
Schools: Kellogg '18 (II)

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2016, 09:11
sandeepblr wrote:
Did anybody from R2 wait list hear from the adcom? I remember reading that the deadline for accepting R2 offers was sometime in Jan 2016. Has this deadline passed - can we expect to hear about R2 wait lists being cleared any time soon?

same thing here, but no news so far.

Can anyone share any new information?
Director
Director
The INSEAD Menu  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2016, 21:00
FROM Insead Admissions Blog: The INSEAD Menu
Ah INSEAD…. So unique that it’s hard to describe it to other people sometimes. The diversity, the pace, the combination of hard work and social life… but what makes INSEAD stand apart (and be the BEST MBA IN THE WORLD) is its short length mixed with the incredible number of options it offers to students. The hard part : choosing what to do. Finding out what we really want. And make decisions. Just like when we go to a restaurant with a long menu…

When I go to a restaurant, I am one of the most annoying people you can think of, because I tend to ask the waiter one of the three stupid but still widely widespread questions :

• What’s good here ?
  • What do you recommend ?
  • What’s better : the steak or the salmon ?
This is very silly because he/she is not going to tell me : « Everything on the menu is horrible and makes people sick, except for one specific item that is truly delicious ». Sometimes though I do get a reply like « our specialty is … you should really try it » which makes it very happy since I do not have a decision to make anymore. But the vast majority of times, I get the normal response : « Well it depends on what want sir » (let’s pretend they call me sir).

Well at INSEAD, it’s the exact same thing : there’s an incredible number of options for students, but we just cannot do it all. At the restaurant, you can only eat a few things before you’re full (and sometimes « broke »). At INSEAD, we have a different constraint : TIME (we’re all broke after paying the tuition fee anyway). So let’s check out the menu for a moment :

INSEAD MENU

Pick any of the items of the menu to add up to 24

« MUST HAVES »

Classes ………………………………………………………….…………………. Small : 3 / Medium : 4.5 / Large : 6

Homework …………………………………………………………………………  Small : 2 / Medium : 4 / Large : 6

Networking ………………………………………………………………………… On Demand

Sleep ………………………………………………………………………………..On Demand (6 is recommended)

CONSULTING LOVERS

Case preparation …………………………………………………………………………………….……………… 3

Coffee Chat ………………………………………………………………………………….……………………… 0.5

HOUSE SPECIALTIES

Week-end planning …………………………………………………………………………………….……………  2

Group diner ………………………………………………………………………………….……………………….. 3

Big party ………………………………………………………………………………….…………………………… 6

SWEET TOOTH

On-campus presentation ……………………………………………………………………………………………..1.5

Career advising appointment ………………………………………………………………………………………… 1

Sport at the gym ………………………………………………………………………………….…………………… 2

Club event ………………………………………………………………………………….…………………………. 2

Alone time ………………………………………………………………………………….……. Currently unavailable

SNACKS

Coffee with other students ………………………………………………………………………………………….. 0.5

https://gmatclub.com/chat & Facebook ………………………………………………………………………………….……………. 24

SPECIAL COMBOS

The « Sponsored » combo : small portions of homework, extra week-ends & parties

The « Non Consultants » combo : extra homework, less sleep and lower GPA

The « Discovery » combo : a small portion of everything

The “Dean’s List” combo : no parties and week-ends, a VIP card at the library

We can all agree that the menu looks very good. But with a 24 hour « time budget » per day, we cannot order everything. And just like a waiter at any restaurant, INSEAD will not tell you to have one specific item because it depends on what YOU want.

Which makes me move to my point (I do have one I promise) : we learn about management and business in the classroom everyday, but the amazing and unique value of INSEAD comes from our ability to manage the entire experience.

To manage it on a daily basis, we need four of the main skills every top manager needs to have nowadays :

1) Self awareness to be able to make the right choices. With so many options at INSEAD, we really need to know ourselves in order to do the things that will ultimately help us become who we really want to be in the future. If you do not trust me, trust Dumbledore when he tells Harry (Potter) in the first movie : « it is not our abilities that define who we are. It is our choices »…. wise man… May he rest in peace.

2) Time management to be as productive as possible : any top manager has to deal with a million things in a given day. So do we during that very special year at INSEAD. We therefore have to learn how to prioritize and how to maximize the number of things we can achieve in 24 hours.

3) Openness to change : Charles Darwin (better than Dumbledore…) said « it is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but one most responsive to change ». The world is constantly changing, and top managers need to be able to cope with the fast pace and the diversity of today’s world. With students from over 80 countries, 3 campuses, classes in all fields of business, cases from all around the world, INSEAD transforms us into chameleons.

4) Social & networking skills… because in the end, « who you know » sometimes matters more than « what you know ». The social life at INSEAD is the best, and creates bonds between students that will remain forever. Just check the hashtag #INSEADmoments on social media…

Some core principles of our « Corporate Financial Policy » class might be forgotten in the future, but those core skills we learn trhough INSEAD will now be part of our DNA for the rest of our lives.
GMAT Club Bot
The INSEAD Menu   [#permalink] 28 Jan 2016, 21:00

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  19   20   21   22   23   24   25  ...  30    Next  [ 589 posts ] 

Calling all INSEAD Applicants (Sept 2016 Intake) Class of July 2017!!

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: Hideto, pabpinor, MBAPrepCoach