It is currently 25 Feb 2018, 01:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all ISB Applicants - (2016 Intake) Class of 2017

new topic post reply Update application status  
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: ISB '17 (A)
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V37
Re: Calling all ISB Applicants - (2016 Intake) Class of 2017 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2015, 00:37
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi all.

During my interview at ISB I had the opportunity to talk to applicants of different sectors before and after their interview. I am going to post the different questions they were asked in their respective backgrounds for an understanding of the interview questions.

Entreprenuer:_

1) after you explain what type of plan you have in mind, they will ask you to explain its revenue model, funding process, expansion ideas, what is your plan B if you fail or don't receive funds.

2) you should consider being an X rather than an entrepreneur. So basically explain why you are not suited for X or why your thought process of being an entreprenuer is more suitable to you

3) if you want to start a start up as soon as you graduate how will you cover your student loan?

4) what are the risks and how will you over come?

5)have you considered an international market like the middle west. if you say yes you will have to explain why it is or it is not suitable. ]]

6) where do you see yourself as an entreprenuer or your company in next 5-10 years. after you explain they might ask you how will you overcome a market fluctuation in that period.

7) if you are talking in manufacturer sector make sure the product is unique or better or technically too advanced for the panel to understand (:P)

will be posting the consulting questions tomorrow.

Good luck all
3 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V32
GMAT 2: 700 Q47 V40
GMAT 3: 710 Q49 V38
WE: Marketing (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2015, 04:49
This post received
KUDOS
Had my interview yesterday at the ISB Hyderabad campus, here's the debrief:

There were 10 different panels of interviewers functioning simultaneously and I arrived about 4 hours too early for my 3:30 PM appointment so I had a chance to chat with plenty of candidates: many engineers, a few consultants and even a doctor! The atmosphere was rather pleasant but subliminal tension still lingered.

I was bumped up after about 2:30 hrs and was invited in. My panel didn't really introduce themselves (and I didn't ask them to either, I wonder if this is a faux pas?!) but I got the feeling that there were all alumnus rather than adcoms or students. I'm not certain that this was a good thing at all.

The interview started jovially enough with an ice breaker about why I chose to conduct my interview face to face rather than opting for a skype interview when I was clearly eligible for one.
Next up: Questions about my career in sales and how/why I got there.
They also wanted details on one of my essays and I had to deep dive to talk about a particular incident that I had referenced in my second essay. So make sure you know your essays forward and backward.

After this, things started to get a little heated and the interview gradually morphed into an interrogation: Questions flew thick about my current role in sales, the sales team I currently manage. The panel also started to make pointed accusations about my judgement and choices (probably in an effort to rile me up? I'm just guessing now...). The chief issue at this point is that my interview turned into a fire fighting effort of futility: Though the questions weren't too hard, I barely got to the crux of one answer before the panel careened headlong into the next one.
Again, I'm NOT certain whether this was a pressure tactic or whether my answers were a little too long winded. Overall, it seemed like I was handling myself relatively well until this point.

The closing is where things got extremely dicey and a situational question (I guess you could call it a 'case' question, but there was little background information or possibility to expand on the topic) about moving expanding a current business model had me on the ropes because the background of the question was rather narrow. This is where it really got to me and I blew MY questions to the alumni about the institution.

I left the room not knowing what to make of the whole thing. TBH, I'm still rather confused and frankly speaking neither result would really surprise me.

Completing MBA applications is like fighting a pissed off hydra on steroids, lop off one head and two more just take their place

Current Student
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V30
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V35

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2015, 09:13
Bangalore interview.
2 member alumni interview panel.

Had a really short interview lasting 20-25 minutes. General questions.. Why mba? Plan b? What will u bring to isb? What if no mba this year?

I had an answer ready for each of the questions. Near about no counter question.. A friendly short interview.

Dont know what to make of it...
Manager
Manager
B
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2015, 10:31
unimportant wrote:
Hi.

yes its always better to know about the facts of your company, like the annual turnover, how many people in your department, any recent noticeable development, stock price.and their technological developments. They won't for sure date back to more than 2 years unless something serious did happen in the company and you were present in then.They would want to know your opinion.

if you have mentioned that you wish to work with a particular sector, be sure to know about different top companies in that sector. They will ask you to name a few. This time only one panel asked straight forward questions like why MBA, why ISB etc. All the other panels( the applicants after their interview told us in the waiting room) wanted to mostly talk about what and how you went about your career.

Good luck.

Great... thanks for the prompt advice. I'll work on these aspects as well. I guess ISB has a rather cooler PI than the stress interviews of IIM-PGPM as I've heard.

Thanks.
Current Student
Concentration: Operations, Strategy

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2015, 10:39
Hi, Anyone from Mumbai got an interview invite?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, Marketing

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2015, 20:51
ashgirl wrote:

Wondering the same. ashgirl : what your application status states currently?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, Marketing

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2015, 20:52
ashgirl wrote:

Wondering the same. ashgirl : what your application status states currently?
ISB Thread Master
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
GMAT 2: 640 Q43 V34

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2015, 21:12
Hi, Anyone from Delhi got an interview invite yet? I heard dates for Delhi interview are 21-22 Nov.
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2015, 21:39
This post received
KUDOS
Quick interview debrief if anybody is interested:

Panel was 2 alumni.
After short introductions we got into the interview. They started with a joke about my extra acads, atmosphere was quite friendly.
I was asked to tell them about myself.
Subsequent questions were all related to my work, my role in the organization etc.
We ended with a typical HR type question "Something that annoys you & Anything you want to ask us".

I was in there for well over 40 mins but overall the experience was very positive.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2015, 21:46
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
satwikpanda wrote:

Panel was 2 alumni.
After short introductions we got into the interview. They started with a joke about my extra acads, atmosphere was quite friendly.
Subsequent questions were all related to my work, my role in the organization etc.
We ended with a typical HR type question "Something that annoys you & Anything you want to ask us".

I was in there for well over 40 mins but overall the experience was very positive.

Interesting. I wonder how they gauge the myriad candidates through different types of interviews; some walk into a stress interview, while others get a regular formal interview while yet others are judged during a casual chat. How do they equalize and judge with such varying modes? Is there some methodology?
Anyone familiar with the system care to throw some light on the subject?

Completing MBA applications is like fighting a pissed off hydra on steroids, lop off one head and two more just take their place

Current Student
GPA: 2.86
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2015, 22:48
varunchand wrote:
I left the room not knowing what to make of the whole thing. TBH, I'm still rather confused and frankly speaking neither result would really surprise me.

I think mine was similar- started off very well and left me confused towards the end. There was no grilling of any sort, the entire interview was just a friendly conversation. Almost 90% of my interview revolved around why MBA and my post MBA career plans. However things took a turn for the worse at the latter half and the panel thought I was a very technical guy and felt I would be better off doing a Masters or something similar. I definitely did not intend for the interview to take such a turn, but I guess I should expect a 50% chance of a ding now.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: ISB '17 (I)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GRE 1: 329 Q165 V164
WE: Information Technology (Consumer Electronics)

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2015, 01:51
varunchand wrote:
satwikpanda wrote:

Panel was 2 alumni.

Interesting. I wonder how they gauge the myriad candidates through different types of interviews; some walk into a stress interview, while others get a regular formal interview while yet others are judged during a casual chat. How do they equalize and judge with such varying modes? Is there some methodology?

I was wondering the same. My interview was quite a stress test - I was asked puzzles and some general knowledge questions. I was also grilled quite a bit about my job roles and responsibilities, extra curriculars and there were absolutely no general questions (tell us about yourself, why mba, why isb, post mba). I wonder how they will evaluate my candidature against say someone with a similar profile but a casual interview. Really quite stressed about it all.
Current Student
GPA: 2.86
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2015, 02:01
For the people who were grilled- what was your average work experience? In my case I have about 8 years of experience and I'm guessing that had something to do with why they weren't keen on making it a stress test.
Current Student
Calling all ISB Applicants - (2016 Intake) Class of 2017 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2015, 02:09
nehabaliga wrote:
varunchand wrote:
satwikpanda wrote:

Panel was 2 alumni.

I was wondering the same. My interview was quite a stress test - I was asked puzzles and some general knowledge questions. I was also grilled quite a bit about my job roles and responsibilities, extra curriculars and there were absolutely no general questions (tell us about yourself, why mba, why isb, post mba). I wonder how they will evaluate my candidature against say someone with a similar profile but a casual interview. Really quite stressed about it all.

Usually the strongest and the weakest candidates face the stress interview. (ISB interviews are more often than not very friendly)
Grilling also happens when post mba plans and career goals are not clear or convincing.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2015, 02:20
askakyyy wrote:

Usually the strongest and the weakest candidates face the stress interview. (ISB interviews are more often than not very friendly)
Grilling also happens when post mba plans and career goals are not clear or convincing.

I hope i come in the stronger category! :| i have good work ex, good acads n gmat, and am quite clear on why mba. And although it started off as a stress test, by the end the panel had loosened up and become much warmer. How did your interview go?

PS: I have 3.3 years of work experience
Current Student

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2015, 02:23
nehabaliga wrote:
askakyyy wrote:

I hope i come in the stronger category! :| i have good work ex, good acads n gmat, and am quite clear on why mba. And although it started off as a stress test, by the end the panel had loosened up and become much warmer. How did your interview go?

I posted my interview exp. earlier in this thread.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2015, 02:32
askakyyy wrote:
nehabaliga wrote:
askakyyy wrote:

I posted my interview exp. earlier in this thread.

Read it now. Don't know what to make of it either. Mine was pretty much exactly the opposite. And went on for almost 45 minutes.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V35

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2015, 00:22
Has ISB rolled out interview calls for Delhi?
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2015, 19:55
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Interview Debrief
Date : 7 Nov
Time : 10:45 AM

Reached ISB by 9 :20 after travelling 40 KM's in the city(My home and ISB are exactly at the opposite ends of Hyderabad). After signing the attendance sheet, sat in the allotted waiting space for interviewees . There were 40 interviews scheduled for the day and 10 different panels for taking those 40 :shock:
Started chatting with fellow interviewees regarding their profiles and other B school apps. Surprised to find out that five guys I spoke to came from non traditional IT background. One was an CA, other from merchant navy, other from family business and two more from heavy engineering background. Not sure though, but I think most of the first batch came from pool 1, as some one has pointed out earlier.

I was called into one of the two rooms allotted for writing the one word essay. Felt happy after looking at the word( I think one of the easiest words to write an essay). I initially wrote few pointers in the rough page and translated them in the main page. Wrote about 70-75 words on the word. You are allowed to use your mobile phones while writing the essay( although I hadn't used it :wink: ).

An young guy(probable alumni) came out and called my name. We shook hands as he took me to the interview room.
There were three interviewers, mostly two alums and an Adcom member. We shook hands and sat down( :x , Couldn't remember even a single name of the interviewers).
An alum asked me start with the routine tell me about yourself answer. Even before I completely finished my answer, follow up questions started and continued till the interview finished. The questions asked are :

1. Gave me a case study(happened somewhere in an industry few years back) and asked me to predict the probable root cause of the situation. Totally stumped by the question. Tried to predict the cause, but failed. After discussing for a while, the Adcom member gave the answer. :evil: :oops: . Thought about the answer, but didn't mention it to them as it seemed trivial. Tried explaining them that our industry has automated systems to take care of that type of situations.
2.Brief me about your job role- Explained
3. How did you arrive at the savings/ quantitative figures mentioned in the essays- Explained.
4. Few questions about the job routine - explained.
5. Your 3 strengths and 2 weaknesses( topic digressed even before I finished my strengths)
6. Tell me about the achievement that you have mentioned in your essay- Explained( The interviewers, particularly one alum, seemed confused about my answer :shock: )
7. Any questions for us- asked a couple of questions. The Adcom member gave a detailed answer for both of my questions.
8. Interrupted by an alum and was asked about my preferred post PGP industry. - Explained( This time she looked even more confused :x )

The interview lasted for about 35 minutes. Mixed feelings as how the interview went.
No questions about Why MBA or Why ISB. The questions were focused solely on my job role and my achievements in my role.
I could've done better in the case study, but anxiety got better of me. Gave too many guesses before the final answer clicked.

Sorry for the grammatical mistakes. Haven't cross checked much.

Now, the long wait starts.
Current Student

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2015, 21:50
vijay556 wrote:
Now, the long wait starts.

GL buddy, at least you aren't alone....

Re: Calling all ISB Applicants - (2016 Intake) Class of 2017   [#permalink] 10 Nov 2015, 21:50

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  24   25   26   27   28   29   30  ...  63    Next  [ 1247 posts ] 

Calling all ISB Applicants - (2016 Intake) Class of 2017

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: mihir0710, warriorguy

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap