GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Dec 2018, 05:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 !

new topic post reply Update application status  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.81
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Re: Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 !  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2014, 10:05
Digvijay01 wrote:
BTW..anyone knows if Kellogg provides profile evaluation feedback..?? :?: :?:

I don't think so...
MBA Section Director
V
Affiliations: GMAT Club
City: Pune
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 !  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2014, 23:56
Dear Applicants,
Here is admit/ding summary of Kellogg round 1 . (Based on applicants’ profile updates)
Total Applicants: 331
Admitted: 52
Waitlisted: 29
Denied: 50
Unknown Decisions: 199

A humble request to all round one applicants, please update your GMATClub profile status.
Mention your profile and application updates in the compilation of all 2015 applicant profiles 2015-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-176967.html
Admitted applicants’ discussion thread calling-all-kellogg-accepted-applicants-2015-intake-class-of-190320.html
Waitlisted applicants’ discussion thread calling-all-kellogg-waitlisted-applicants-2015-intake-class-of-190352.html

Chances of Getting Admitted After an Interview [Data Crunch]

Must Read Forum Topics Before You Kick Off Your MBA Application

New GMAT Club Decision Tracker - Real Time Decision Updates

Manager
Manager
Bringing my education to life at the Kellogg Business Design Challenge  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2014, 09:00
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: Bringing my education to life at the Kellogg Business Design Challenge
One of my favorite experiences at Kellogg to date was participating in the recently completed Kellogg Business Design Challenge hosted by the IDEA club. As a MMM student and someone interested in pursuing a career in design and innovation, signing up was a no brainer. But the experience far exceeded my expectations thanks to the real-world problem my team got to solve, the friendships I made and the lessons I learned.

The problem we were presented by our client, Scotch, was to use a human-centered approach to identify an opportunity in the elementary/middle school education market that delivered a social value proposition.

Through extensive in-field research and interviews across various stakeholders, we found such an opportunity among teachers, who faced a couple challenges when decorating their classrooms. We learned that not only do teachers spend a tremendous amount of money out of pocket to decorate, but some of the supplies they buy for this purpose don’t deliver when it comes to quality. To solve both parts of this problem, we developed a solution called “Scotch Sticks up for Teachers,” which featured both a new product line and a donation program.

It was really gratifying to present this solution to the client and hear that it was feasible with existing technology and partnerships, and that the idea was big enough in terms of the “size of the prize” to be financially viable for the Scotch brand. We also heard from countless teachers how thrilled they would be if such a product and program existed, which was incredibly validating.

Beyond solving the problem, I couldn’t have had a better experience with my team: Elsa Augustine, JP Tucker, Jeff Kwong and Adam Slabowski. Coming together at the beginning of the quarter, it was the first time any of us had worked together, and for some, the first time we’d met! While this uncertainty initially made me nervous, I quickly realized that everyone brought a passion for the challenge and commitment to the team that was truly impressive. We instantly bonded over our common cause. Thanks to our great dynamic, we’ve already reconvened at a local watering hole a couple times to catch up, and we’re actively planning for our next design competition appearance.

Finally, as if the great project outcome and amazing friendships weren’t enough, I also learned a ton. I’m a true believer in the user-centered design process, as I’ve seen it lead to some really fascinating insights and innovative solutions when applied thoughtfully and effectively. Thanks to the awesome organization of the KBDC program and multiple practical workshops on the process led by design professionals from firms across Chicago, everyone who participated was able to learn these design process best practices.

We also got tremendous support and feedback from the second year organizers, had a chance to review our interim solution with the client (who made a special trip in from Minnesota), and were judged during the final presentation by an all-star cast of industry professionals from IDEO and IA Collaborative, who provided invaluable feedback.

In short, I can’t say enough good things about my experience with the Kellogg Business Design Challenge and the learnings and friendships it fostered. I would highly recommend it to anyone interested in design and innovation at Kellogg!

Filed under: Academics, Business Insight, Career, Student Life Tagged: challenge, competition, Design, design innovation, IDEA, Kellogg Business Design Challenge, MMM Image
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

This post has been originally posted on the Admissions Blog and re-posted here for convenience.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2014, 12:59
menglish wrote:
Calling all London-based Kellogg School of Management current and future applicants! Come and join current students and alumni for informal drinks on Tuesday 23rd of December, 19.00-21.00 at Corney & Barrow, Paternoster Square to find out more about the Kellogg MBA experience. Feel free to pop by at any time, all welcome!

Oh no! I literally just saw this now - would have loved to come as I am based in London. Please let me know if there are any other events planned over the coming few weeks :-D
Manager
Manager
Round 2 application deadline is two weeks away  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2014, 08:00
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: Round 2 application deadline is two weeks away
This is a friendly reminder that our deadline for Full-Time Round 2 applications is quickly approaching. To be considered for Round 2, please submit all application materials by 5 p.m. (CT) on Wednesday, Jan. 7.

If you submit your application for Round 2, you will receive your admissions decision on March 25.

For those of you who are still putting your application components together, you may be interested in two previous blog series by Beth Tidmarsh, director of admissions for full-time programs at Kellogg.

Topics included in her “Tips for applying” series were:

Topics included in her “How applicants are assessed” series were:

If you are interested in applying as part of Round 3 at Kellogg, please take note of these key dates:

ROUND 3 

Deadline – April 1, 2015

Decision date – May 13, 2015

If you have any questions about Kellogg’s deadlines or the application process, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Sincerely,

The Kellogg Admissions Team

847.491.3308   |  mbaadmissions@kellogg.northwestern.edu

Filed under: Admissions Tagged: admissions deadline, application, application materials Image
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

This post has been originally posted on the Admissions Blog and re-posted here for convenience.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V40
GMAT 2: 710 Q45 V41
GPA: 3
WE: Engineering (Military & Defense)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2014, 10:50
Has anyone received the email that allows you to accept a spot on the waitlist? Any current students have some advice on how to navigate the Kellogg waitlist?
Manager
Manager
Schools: Harvard Business School - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2014, 13:40
For second round applicants: we've written a fairly comprehensive post about Kellogg's Video Essay, and we have compiled a list of frequently asked questions.
http://www.mbaadmissionsadvisors.com/an ... /#more-566

Good luck !

Vincent

Vincent Ho-Tin-Noe
CEO and co-founder
MBA Admissions Advisors, LLC
http://www.mbaadmissionsadvisors.com/

Prepare for your HBS interview: http://www.mbaadmissionsadvisors.com/hbs-round-one-interview-invites/
Prepare for your Wharton TBD: http://www.mbaadmissionsadvisors.com/registrations-for-the-wharton-team-based-discussion-simulation/

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.81
WE: Accounting (Accounting)

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2014, 10:40
"Has anyone received the email that allows you to accept a spot on the waitlist? Any current students have some advice on how to navigate the Kellogg waitlist?"

Same question...
Director
Director
Concentration: Strategy, Other
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2017
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 2.48
WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2014, 10:56
petebi & fbpointgod10

No, I haven't received anything. I think we should expect it to come after the New Year. The admissions office is likely on Holiday and I doubt that sending out waitlist information is a priority to them at this point.

From previous years, the waitlist threads seemed to indicate that information will come in early January. Until then, I suggest we all try to relax and enjoy the rest of 2014!!

My GMAT Journey: A surprising 730!

My Application experience: Low GPA Success!

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V41

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2014, 10:13
I was admitted to the 1Y MBA, and Kellogg requires that I do a finance course prior starting classes in June. I can do it at a university in my country, but I dont think they accept students for just one course. Anyone facing the same problem?
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Marketing
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V40
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
WE: Sales (Other)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2014, 10:29
peleve wrote:
I was admitted to the 1Y MBA, and Kellogg requires that I do a finance course prior starting classes in June. I can do it at a university in my country, but I dont think they accept students for just one course. Anyone facing the same problem?

I'm not sure how it is in your country, but I know in the US we have online extension courses that are university standard courses. You can take just one or a few if you like.

If you can't find any where you live, you can look into UC Berkeley Extension program. Also, I know UCLA has one, but I took a Math class and you had to go to one class in Los Angeles. However, the Berkeley class was completely online. The only problem I may foresee is where you would take your proctored exam and if they allow international students.

“No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.” ― Ellie R.

Manager
Manager
‘The best decision I’ve ever made’  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2015, 08:00
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: ‘The best decision I’ve ever made’

I graduated from Kellogg’s One-Year Full-Time program in June, and having been in the work world for six months, I look back and can honestly say choosing Kellogg and the 1Y program was the best decision I’ve ever made.

Kellogg was the ultimate life experience.

It equipped me with top-tier management education and training alongside some of the smartest business students in the world. In addition, it afforded me everything I could hope for in terms of the social experience and networking opportunities.

The 1Y program was the perfect choice given my undergraduate business degree, and it enabled me to quickly transition to an operating role at Uber in Chicago. Having gone to Kellogg with my CPA and investment banking experience, I rounded out my background by focusing on advanced electives in entrepreneurship, management, and strategy.

I gravitated toward the idea of being in a small, tight-knit program of 100 plus students, while at the same time taking classes, being in clubs, traveling and having fun with all the other full-time MBA’s. My favorite memories from Kellogg include enduring the rigor of my business strategy class and the highs and lows of New Venture Discovery, serving on the Day At Kellogg Executive Committee, going on KWEST Panama, winning an MBA basketball tournament in Las Vegas (pictured above) and mentoring grade-school students at a Catholic school on the South Side of Chicago.

For prospective MBA students and others interested in learning about Kellogg, I’d encourage you to consider first and foremost whether Kellogg is the right fit. Kellogg’s culture is unique. There’s something about it that’s hard to describe, it’s something intangible that you either feel aligned with or you don’t. In deciding which program, you should consider your educational background and experience, what you want out of your time at Kellogg and your career goals immediately after school.

From my perspective, the 1Y program is a no brainer if you did business undergrad and have a clear career vision. It’s also important to consider how much you need or want an internship, how much you value the extra quarters of academics and what you’re looking for from a pure social experience. Keep in mind that the opportunity cost of two years is increasing, and networking doesn’t stop at graduation.

Kellogg and the 1Y program are not for everyone, but I am a huge advocate of both. I couldn’t feel more confident in the decisions I’ve made, where I’m at with my career, and what lies ahead both professionally and in life!

Patrick is currently an Operations and Logistics Manager at Uber Chicago. Prior to Kellogg, Patrick worked at Pagemill Partners, a boutique technology focused investment bank in Palo Alto. He started his career at Ernst & Young.

Filed under: Academics, Career, Student Life Tagged: 1Y, alumni, community, culture, dak, day at kellogg, kellogg community, kwest, One-year, One-Year MBA Program Image

Manager
Manager
90% of all analysis is prep time  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2015, 10:00
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: 90% of all analysis is prep time
First-year student Rohan Rajiv is blogging once a week about important lessons he is learning at Kellogg. Read more of his posts here.

We spent a lot of time in our statistics class on regressions. A regression is simply the measure of the relation between the mean value of the output or ‘y’ variable and the value of input variables. It is the ability to predict a value for ‘y’ given the values of certain ‘x’.

For any regression, we go through the following steps –

1. Think of a model of y. Let’s say we are attempting to predict the health of a person. We need to first think of all the factors that result in good health.

So, f(good health) = f(good diet) + f(exercise) + f(sleep) + f(collection of other minor variables or noise)

It is important to get the important factors in this model so as to guard against omitted variable bias or OVB.

2. Sort out causality. We then think about whether the relationship is cause-and-effect. This deserves a blog post in itself as this “identification” error is rampant across many studies. Here, we could argue that, largely, good health is caused by behavior. That said, we are probably missing genetic predisposition to good health. That is an example of a variable that should go into the equation because it is a sure shot source of OVB

3. Clean your data. Now it is time to examine the data we have. Look at trends and outliers.

4. Match the data to the theory to see if you have the right variables. This is when we check if we have data for diet, exercise, sleep and genetics as we’re trying to predict the average health of a patient. We also need to check if we have a good proxy of average health – e.g. number of doctor visits per year.

5. Check for “action” in the key variables. Next, we need to make sure that variables like diet, exercise, etc., have enough variation. Without variation, it is impossible to link movement in the variables with movement in the output.

6. Briefly examine a simple model. Run a first regression with a simple model and check for relationships and significance (or level of confidence in our relationships)

7. Settle on an empirical method. Are we assuming a linear relationship? Is there any chance an improvement in health or exercise or sleep could result in a percentage change in health?

8. Check for multicollinearity and heteroskedasticity. These are big words. Multicollinearity is simply checking for whether x variables in the model are correlated. For example, are good diet and exercise correlated? If everyone who has a good diet also exercises a certain amount, perhaps we could just include one of the two. The key here is to understand multicollinearity doesn’t change the outcome. It just messes with the standard errors of prediction. So, definitely important to check but no need to panic.

Heteroskedasticity, on the other hand, is a check for whether we have the right empirical model. I won’t go into depth here but this is a quick check to see if there is a pattern in the residuals or unexplained factors in the regression.

9. Check for robustness. The robustness check is an interesting check – it involves removing variables or groups of variables to see if they make a difference to the output. For example, one check would be to remove sleep from the regression and see if it makes a difference. If it doesn’t, we can safely take it out. The idea here is to use as few variables as necessary to check for whether there is a relationship between the variables and the output.

10. Run the final regression and interpret your results.

(Note: We have intentionally not discussed the R-squared of the regression. The R-squared isn’t a good predictor of regression accuracy especially in models where future trends aren’t likely to mirror historical trends. Low R-squared models in very hard-to-predict situations can still tell us a lot.)

Sorry for the long drawn statistics lesson. Now for what I find most interesting – step 10 or running that final regression is a 10 second task followed by a few minutes interpreting the result. So, 90% or more of the time we’ve spent on the analysis has been preparing the data for regression.

I find that analogous to all of life’s great processes – 90% of most great processes is indeed prep time.

Rohan Rajiv is a first-year student in Kellogg’s Full-Time Two-Year Program. Prior to Kellogg he worked at a-connect serving clients on consulting projects across 14 countries in Europe, Asia, Australia and South America. He blogs a learning every day, including his MBA Learnings series, on www.ALearningaDay.com.

Filed under: Academics, Business Insight Tagged: business, MBA Learnings, Two-Year, Two-Year MBA Program Image

Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.62
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2015, 11:42
In for round 2, best of luck to all!
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.61
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2015, 14:41
Hey Guys,

I am getting ready to submit R2 app today. Can anyone help me with an app question?

After the app is submitted, do we have to complete the video essay immediately? Or do we have till Jan 7 to complete the video essay?

Let me know!
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.61
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2015, 19:01
nicelystupid wrote:
Hey Guys,

I am getting ready to submit R2 app today. Can anyone help me with an app question?

After the app is submitted, do we have to complete the video essay immediately? Or do we have till Jan 7 to complete the video essay?

Let me know!

Found my answer on their website :)

Q: How much time will I have to complete the video essays?
A: After submitting your application you will be given access to the Video Essay component and will have one week after the application is due to complete the Video Essay. We encourage applicants to complete their Video Essay shortly after submitting the application while information is still fresh in your mind and so you don’t forget! Also, please try not to wait for the last possible moment to record your video essay - it will feel more stressful if you are doing it at the last minute and in a rush. Block out 15-20 minutes a few days after you submit your application and complete it.
Intern
Intern
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2015, 01:39
Finally.........
Manager
Manager
Professor, alum named to Crain’s Chicago Business’ 40 under 40  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2015, 08:00
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: Professor, alum named to Crain’s Chicago Business’ 40 under 40
Clinical Assistant Professor of Innovation & Entrepreneurship David Schonthal ’09 was recently recognized as one of Crain’s Chicago Business’ “40 under 40.”

Schonthal, along with Kellogg alumni Andrew Cittadine ’98 and Steven Collens ’01, formed MATTER, an incubator designed to help innovators navigate the byzantine, convoluted path medical devices must take to market.

Schonthal told Crain’s that the idea to create a local health-tech incubator came from a simple thought: “Why can’t we do cool stuff in Chicago?”

Hear more from Schonthal about the project at Crain’s Chicago Business.

Filed under: Academics, Business Insight, Career Tagged: alumni, entrepreneurship, faculty, Innovation, thought leadership Image

Current Student
GPA: 3.49

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2015, 13:18
In! Now to navigate this video essay thing...
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2015, 03:55
nicelystupid wrote:
nicelystupid wrote:
Hey Guys,

Let me know!

Found my answer on their website :)

Q: How much time will I have to complete the video essays?
A: After submitting your application you will be given access to the Video Essay component and will have one week after the application is due to complete the Video Essay. We encourage applicants to complete their Video Essay shortly after submitting the application while information is still fresh in your mind and so you don’t forget! Also, please try not to wait for the last possible moment to record your video essay - it will feel more stressful if you are doing it at the last minute and in a rush. Block out 15-20 minutes a few days after you submit your application and complete it.

Does it I mean that if I submit my application on 7th, I will have till 14th to complete the video essay or is the 7-day thing only applicable for people who submitted much before the deadline?
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 ! &nbs [#permalink] 06 Jan 2015, 03:55

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  66   67   68   69   70  ...  105    Next  [ 2093 posts ] 

Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 !

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: Gnpth, DigitsnLetters, hanamana

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap