GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Dec 2018, 10:14

In Progress:

Admit Calls from Ross Join Chat Room | McCombs Join Chat Room for Latest Updates

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 !

new topic post reply Update application status  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Re: Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 !  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2015, 15:50
luckyducky7 wrote:
SC29 wrote:
I interviewed over a week ago but received an email from the admissions team today saying something to the effect of 'please let us know if you not been able to contact your assigned interviewer and set a date to meet with them'.

Does this mean my interviewer didn't send his feedback / interview report to the school?

Anyone else in this position? Worried now!

I got that too. I just replied saying when and who I completed my interview with and got a response saying that I'm good. I wouldn't worry about it!

Thanks! I think I am just finding any reason to stress myself out ;)
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
GRE 1: Q161 V160
GPA: 3.89
WE: Project Management (Other)

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2015, 18:18
SC29 wrote:
I interviewed over a week ago but received an email from the admissions team today saying something to the effect of 'please let us know if you not been able to contact your assigned interviewer and set a date to meet with them'.

Does this mean my interviewer didn't send his feedback / interview report to the school?

Anyone else in this position? Worried now!

Yes, I got that too. She wrote back and said everything was done on my end and good luck! I wouldn't worry too much.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Marshall PM '18

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2015, 04:59
Submitted Application on 1/7
Video Essay 1/14
Interview 2/5

Waiting for the decision.
Current Student
Concentration: Technology
Schools: Anderson '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
WE: Information Technology (Internet and New Media)

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2015, 05:08
Anyone know when waivers are going to be sent out? Is there still hope for an invite? Unfortunate Indian here :P
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
GRE 1: Q161 V160
GPA: 3.89
WE: Project Management (Other)
Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 !  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2015, 05:51
bellaluna wrote:
Submitted Application on 1/7
Video Essay 1/14
Interview 2/5

Waiting for the decision.

Does your "Interview 2/5" reflect on your application page?

For me:
Submitted 1/6
Video Essay 1/7
Interview 1/22

...but, my interview is not on my application page. The last update I have is "Video Essay 1/7"
Manager
Manager
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2015, 05:54
FurrowedBrow wrote:
Anyone know when waivers are going to be sent out? Is there still hope for an invite? Unfortunate Indian here :P

Same question. Anyone has any idea?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Sustainability, General Management
WE: Project Management (Consumer Products)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2015, 07:29
Interview De brief : Delhi , 5 FEB , CCD :)

Questions :

Walk me through your resume ... I made sure I took around 5-7 mins ..
Then y Mba ?
Y kellogg ?
Tell me about innovation in your life
How will u add value to Kellogg?
Leadership values ?
Role model ?
Values of your role model u use in your daily life
Leader vs manager ?
Example of creativity ? :shock: ... I told about the FASHION SHOW in which I participated and how we became 'VAMPIRES' :lol: ...was out of examples on all innovation in professional life !
How many reportees u have ?
How do u manager a team member who is not pulling his/her weight ?
Biggest achievement ?
Any Q's

And then I asked about his journey at Kellogg (summarised answer by him : LIFE CHANGING !!! : 8-) )....and how he made the transition back to India

Guys iT was a good one and lasted around 40 mins of enriching interactions !

Now the waiting game ...

I believe ! :wink:
Manager
Manager
How relevant costs influence decision making  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2015, 08:00
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: How relevant costs influence decision making
First-year student Rohan Rajiv is blogging once a week about important lessons he is learning at Kellogg. Read more of his posts here.

Fred Wilson, partner at Union Square Ventures and investor in most networks we know and love (Twitter, Tumblr, Etsy, Kickstarter), had a great post on sunk costs this week. It is a must read. My favorite part is below:

“This is a hard thing to do. It is human nature to want to recover the sunk costs. We face this all the time in our business. When we have invested $500,000 or $5 (million) into a company, it is really easy to get into the mindset that we need to stick with the investment so we can get our money back. If we stop funding, then we write off the investment almost all of the time. If we keep putting money in, there is a chance the investment will work out and we’ll get our money back or even a return on it.

Even though I was taught about sunk costs in business school twenty-five years ago, I have had to learn this lesson the hard way. Most of the time that we make a follow-on investment defensively, to protect the capital we have already invested, that follow-on investment is marginal or outright bad. I have seen this again and again. And so we try really hard to look at every investment based on the return on the new money and not include the capital we have already invested in the decision.”

This seemingly simple insight is what relevant costs in Microeconomics is all about. When making a decision on new investment, don’t consider past investment. It isn’t relevant. What is relevant is the return you are going to get on your current investment. What about the past investment then? Well, you should have thought that through carefully when you were making that decision. Nothing can be done about it now.

As humans, we hate the idea of loss. And, the relevant costs concept attempts to guard us against exactly that.

We don’t have to be venture capitalists to have experienced relevant costs. We have seen relevant costs play in bad relationships that we held onto because of an abundance of memories, we’ve seen ourselves follow on on bad bets in poker, and we’ve probably made many a bad decision in attempting to stick with an existing investment hoping it’ll sort itself out – despite the signs telling us otherwise.

Relevant costs essentially give us a great guideline for decision making – make decisions looking forward based on today’s data. Yesterday’s investments don’t matter.

We all know that we can’t drive using the rear view mirror. Yet, as Fred points, out, we tend to do it more often than not. Microeconomics provides us with tools to think about decisions and guard against being predictably irrational.

As with all good things, it is up to us to put them to good use.

Rohan Rajiv is a first-year student in Kellogg’s Full-Time Two-Year Program. Prior to Kellogg he worked at a-connect serving clients on consulting projects across 14 countries in Europe, Asia, Australia and South America. He blogs a learning every day, including his MBA Learnings series, on www.ALearningaDay.com.

Filed under: Academics, Business Insight, Student Life Tagged: decision making, economics, MBA Learnings, microeconomics, relevant costs Image
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

This post has been originally posted on the Admissions Blog and re-posted here for convenience.

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
WE: Business Development (Real Estate)

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2015, 20:38
Indian applicant.
Application submitted - 12/30
Video Essay - 01/12

No invite yet. Should I consider it a ding? Any feedback would be highly appreciated.
Intern
Intern
Schools: ISB '16 (A)

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2015, 22:29
if there isn't any interview invitation yet, is it safe to consider its a ding?
Intern
Intern
Schools: ISB '16 (A)

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2015, 22:30
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.7
WE: Operations (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2015, 02:47
priarora wrote:

Not necessarily a ding. As I understand the profile reviews and the interview scheduling happens in parallel. So your profile will still be under review but they may not have been able to find an alumni match for your profile. So a waiver is a high probability now. But the adcom will still review your profile and if they feel the need for interviewing you - they will setup a Skype interview later. So dont give up hope yet!
Intern
Intern
Schools: Marshall PM '18

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2015, 09:50
anybody know how long it takes for the applicant to know the result after interview?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2015, 10:09
bellaluna wrote:
anybody know how long it takes for the applicant to know the result after interview?

I think everyone who interviews will hear back around the same time. For R2, that's 3/25.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V35
GMAT 3: 750 Q49 V42
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2015, 12:54
Received an email which read:-Greetings! The Admissions Committee would like to arrange a Skype interview with you. Please follow the instructions below to schedule your interview within one week.

Have any one of those who have received interview invites so far, received a similar invite? By that I mean, did Kellogg specifically ask to set up a Skype call rather than an alumni interview? I thought they do that only if they are interested in your profile and that too after they can't match you with an alumni. I just want to make sure that Kellogg are not trolling me. Can't handle more heartbreak/get my hopes too high after Duke did not invite me to interview. Just to add Indian candidate, based out of India. Also no change on the application portal.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.33
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2015, 18:16
DorkusMaximus wrote:
Received an email which read:-Greetings! The Admissions Committee would like to arrange a Skype interview with you. Please follow the instructions below to schedule your interview within one week.

Have any one of those who have received interview invites so far, received a similar invite? By that I mean, did Kellogg specifically ask to set up a Skype call rather than an alumni interview? I thought they do that only if they are interested in your profile and that too after they can't match you with an alumni. I just want to make sure that Kellogg are not trolling me. Can't handle more heartbreak/get my hopes too high after Duke did not invite me to interview. Just to add Indian candidate, based out of India. Also no change on the application portal.

I'm also an Indian applicant based out of Bangalore.
Received a similar invite this morning. They've asked to call their office to schedule an interview, suppose that's because they were unable to match us with an alumni.
would definately take it as a positive sign, better than receiving an interview waiver.

-Garv
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V35
GMAT 3: 750 Q49 V42
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2015, 19:27
garvsawhney wrote:

Received a similar invite this morning. They've asked to call their office to schedule an interview, suppose that's because they were unable to match us with an alumni.
would definately take it as a positive sign, better than receiving an interview waiver.

-Garv

Congrats! I assumed as much but still wanted to be sure. I hope I am not reading too much into it. I don't know if this is the standard practice i.e. I had assumed that if you can not be matched with an alumni, you get a waiver, and then later get the interview invite. So I guess we should take this as a positive sign. Let me know what date you choose.

P.S. - We have identical stats and schools! and I have my Ross team exercise today, btw! :)
Current Student
Concentration: Technology
Schools: Anderson '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
WE: Information Technology (Internet and New Media)

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2015, 19:50
DorkusMaximus wrote:
garvsawhney wrote:

-Garv

Congrats! I assumed as much but still wanted to be sure. I hope I am not reading too much into it. I don't know if this is the standard practice i.e. I had assumed that if you can not be matched with an alumni, you get a waiver, and then later get the interview invite. So I guess we should take this as a positive sign. Let me know what date you choose.

P.S. - We have identical stats and schools! and I have my Ross team exercise today, btw! :)

Congratulations! A Skype interview is definitely better than a waiver/no interview. I'm an Indian applicant based in India and I've heard nothing so far so I'm assuming that a waiver is impending...
Current Student
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2015, 22:11
DorkusMaximus wrote:

Hey i am on the same boat, got an invite for skype interview, have that scheduled later this month, cant read much into it, any experiences from round 1 applicants
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V36
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2015, 23:54
DorkusMaximus wrote:

Same here. Applicant from India. Received the mail in the morning. Any interview suggestions from R1 applicants?
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 ! &nbs [#permalink] 06 Feb 2015, 23:54

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  79   80   81   82   83  ...  105    Next  [ 2093 posts ] 

Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 !

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: Gnpth, DigitsnLetters, hanamana

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap