GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 10 Dec 2018, 03:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 !

new topic post reply Update application status  
Manager
Manager
What you can expect at Diversity Weekend  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2014, 09:00
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: What you can expect at Diversity Weekend

Are you still looking to experience what it would be like pursuing your MBA at Kellogg? If so, you might want to consider attending our upcoming Diversity Weekend.

Diversity Weekend is an annual preview event for prospective students hosted by the Kellogg Admissions Team, the Africa Business ClubBlack Management Association and Hispanic Management Association.

This year’s event is scheduled for Nov. 7-9.

The weekend will kick off Friday morning with a talk by Dean Sally Blount. Professor Julie Hennessy and Assistant Professor Michele Rogers will each teach a mock class for the prospective students. Attendees will hear from Career Management Center representatives about resources and opportunities available to students, and they will also have the opportunity to ask questions of the Admissions staff.

Throughout the weekend, prospective students will be able to meet and interact with current students and alumni.

One of the highlights of this year’s event is that it coincides with the student-led Black Management Association (BMA) Conference, “The Balancing Act: The Essential Equilibrium Between Your Career and Personal Pursuits.” The goal of this year’s conference is to hone in on three major points:

• Unconventional career planning
  • The pursuit of philanthropic and entrepreneurial passions
  • Fulfilling personal/family goals
Scheduled conference keynotes include:

• An executive conversation with Dean Blount and Jim Reynolds ’82, chairman and CEO of Loop Capital
  • A keynote address from Moët Hennessy Senior Vice President Rodney Williams ’90, who will discuss “From MBA to Senior Leader: The X Factors”
The conference will also feature a variety of panel discussions and networking opportunities.

If you have any questions about Diversity Weekend, please email Michelle Maxwell in the Office of Admissions.

The Kellogg Admissions Team

847.491.3308   |  mbaadmissions@kellogg.northwestern.edu

Register for Diversity Weekend.

Learn more about Kellogg’s Full-Time MBA Program.

Request info about Kellogg.

Apply to Kellogg.

Filed under: Academics, Admissions, Career, Student Life Tagged: Africa Business Club, black management association, BMA, Conference, diversity, Diversity Weekend, Hispanic Management Association Image
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

This post has been originally posted on the Admissions Blog and re-posted here for convenience.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Re: Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 !  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2014, 10:50
AR2017 wrote:
Got an interview invite ... in the process of scheduling an interview ...

When exactly did you get the invite mate?
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V41
GMAT 2: 700 Q45 V41
GPA: 3.64
WE: Corporate Finance (Consumer Products)

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2014, 14:01
big4sucks wrote:
had my interview and i guess i had a much different experience than you guys. it was def NOT like a conversation. my interviewer sat on his laptop rattling off questions and taking notes on his laptop the entire time. the interview was incredibly long as well - came out to 1 hr 20 mins which included 15 mins of questions i asked him. he asked a lot of behavioral questions in addition to the usual walk me through your resume/why MBA/why kellogg/why consulting questions. there were a few behavioral questions i was not prepared for and had to make up some BS on the spot.

overall, not too happy with how it turned out. i guess i was expecting it to be more like a conversation. not too optimistic about my chances after having the interview which sucks since Kellogg is my top choice :(

that's messed up....anyone else have an experience that doesn't follow the typical 'why kellogg, why mba, career goals' format?
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Healthcare, Marketing
GPA: 3.4
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2014, 14:20
yes I also had quite a few behavioral questions.
Current Student
B
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2014, 14:39
goinggolfing wrote:
big4sucks wrote:
had my interview and i guess i had a much different experience than you guys. it was def NOT like a conversation. my interviewer sat on his laptop rattling off questions and taking notes on his laptop the entire time. the interview was incredibly long as well - came out to 1 hr 20 mins which included 15 mins of questions i asked him. he asked a lot of behavioral questions in addition to the usual walk me through your resume/why MBA/why kellogg/why consulting questions. there were a few behavioral questions i was not prepared for and had to make up some BS on the spot.

overall, not too happy with how it turned out. i guess i was expecting it to be more like a conversation. not too optimistic about my chances after having the interview which sucks since Kellogg is my top choice :(

that's messed up....anyone else have an experience that doesn't follow the typical 'why kellogg, why mba, career goals' format?

I was only explicitly asked "Why Kellogg." I answered the other two during the interview. To be honest, I believe whether the interview seems formal or conversational is up to you.

If you answer questions in a way that leaves very little room for a response from the interviewer, he's just going to shoot out the next question. My interview was like this for the first 15 minutes, because frankly, I was nervous and just focused on asking questions. Once I relaxed a little bit, then it became conversational, with a lot of going back and forth.

Having said that, I wouldn't worry about it too much. By having a non-conversational interview, you probably at the very least answered all his questions and didn't go off topic.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V40
GMAT 2: 710 Q45 V41
GPA: 3
WE: Engineering (Military & Defense)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2014, 21:37
goinggolfing wrote:
big4sucks wrote:

My interviewer had his laptop out on the table as well. It was a little distracting. He read questions from and took notes on his laptop the entire time. He tried to stay engaged by maintaining eye contact, but now that I look back I feel like he could have done a better job of making the process more comfortable.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2014, 05:15
my interviewer wanted to write everything down on his notepad and asked the questions again and again till he was sure that he had written down all the points.

He didnt even reply to my "Thank You" email :(
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2014, 06:45
I just had my interview a couple of days ago, and what she explained is that they are asked to complete a very detailed form after the interview, so she apologized beforehand for taking so many notes and asking for extra details in some questions.
My guess is that those who had the laptop were completing their form as they interviewed you??

Other than that, the questions were pretty much standard... maybe a couple behavioral ones, but that was it...
Director
Director
Concentration: Strategy, Other
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2017
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 2.48
WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2014, 07:12
I didn't get a response from my interviewer either. I think it's a crapshoot whether or not they respond and has no bearing on whether or not you get in.

It is nice just to get an acknowledgement though...

I thought it was nice that it was conversational however the more I reflect on the interview, the more I see my mistakes. I was a bit nervous and rambled a bit, but I guess it's all out of my hands now. Kellogg was a longshot for me anyways, but it's nice that they try to interview everyone. It says a lot about the school.

My GMAT Journey: A surprising 730!

My Application experience: Low GPA Success!

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2014, 07:14
bml1105 wrote:
TheLevin wrote:
I decided that since I am going to be stressing anyways while waiting, might as well make it productive stress by starting my CFA Level 2 studying...

Good luck!!!

I'm just going to eat Lindor truffles for 2 months.

My plan exactly!
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2014, 07:39
dtse86 wrote:
I didn't get a response from my interviewer either. I think it's a crapshoot whether or not they respond and has no bearing on whether or not you get in.

It is nice just to get an acknowledgement though...

I thought it was nice that it was conversational however the more I reflect on the interview, the more I see my mistakes. I was a bit nervous and rambled a bit, but I guess it's all out of my hands now. Kellogg was a longshot for me anyways, but it's nice that they try to interview everyone. It says a lot about the school.

Yep. its nice to get an acknowledgement. My Duke interviewer was prompt in responding.

Anyways. I feel open round interviews might just work in favor of people with blemishes in their profile.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q33 V42
GMAT 2: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.9

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2014, 08:42
Any other R1 applicants still waiting for an interview invite? Anyone receive a waiver yet?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V37
WE: Operations (Internet and New Media)
Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 !  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 23 Oct 2014, 23:37
Just finished my interview :) . It was fairly conversational but with the interviewer taking a lot of notes in between. It lasted about 30 minutes with standard questions

1) Walk me through your resume (a couple of follow ups to this)

2) What has been your most significant accomplishment?

3) Describe an instance when you overcame an obstacle?

4) Describe your leadership style?

5) What are your two main strengths?

6) What would your team say your one weakness is?

7) What are your goals? Why the particular choice of short term goals? (I said Management Consulting as my short term)

8) Why MBA?

9) Why Kellogg?

10) What would your contributions to Kellogg be?

11) What clubs are you interested in at Kellogg?

12) Any thing else you feel we haven't covered so far.

13) Time to ask my questions. (We spend a good bit of time on this. He was really passionate about the school :) )

Overall, I think it went well. However, have never given a B-School interview before. So, cannot really know if it went really good or not. Only time will tell. Hoping for the best!

Originally posted by jskt1989 on 23 Oct 2014, 08:44.
Last edited by jskt1989 on 23 Oct 2014, 23:37, edited 2 times in total.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: Ross (Michigan) - Class of 2017
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE: Asset Management (Other)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2014, 08:56
jskt1989 wrote:
Just finished my interview :) . It was fairly conversational but with the interviewer taking a lot of notes in between. It lasted about 30 minutes with standard questions

3) What are your two main strengths?

4) What would your team say your one weakness is?

5) What are your goals? Why the particular choice of short term goals? (I said Management Consulting as my short term)

6) Why MBA?

7) Why Kellogg?

8) What would your contributions to Kellogg be?

9) Any thing else you feel we haven't covered so far.

10) Time to ask my questions. (We spend a good bit of time on this. He was really passionate about the school :) )

Overall, I think it went well. However, have never given a B-School interview before. So, cannot really know if it went really good or not. Only time will tell. Hoping for the best!

Thanks for the insight!
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.5

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2014, 09:52
jskt1989 wrote:

3) Describe an instance when you overcame an obstacle?

4) What are your two main strengths?

5) What would your team say your one weakness is?

6) What are your goals? Why the particular choice of short term goals? (I said Management Consulting as my short term)

7) Why MBA?

8) Why Kellogg?

9) What would your contributions to Kellogg be?

10) Any thing else you feel we haven't covered so far.

11) Time to ask my questions. (We spend a good bit of time on this. He was really passionate about the school :) )

This was exactly like mine.
Manager
Manager
Alumni Spotlight: Songhua Hu ’10 and Richard Lim ’10  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2014, 10:00
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: Alumni Spotlight: Songhua Hu ’10 and Richard Lim ’10
Songhua Hu ’10, left, and Richard Lim ’10 hope Bloominous can capitalize on the DIY trend while cutting costs for couples getting married. (Photo provided by Richard Lim)

While serving as the General Manager for one of the world’s largest floral wire-service companies, Richard Lim ’10 developed close relationships — friendships, even — with his flower distributors. So when one of those distributors found out that Lim was engaged, he offered to supply all of the wedding flowers for free.

Lim excitedly shared the news with his fiancée. “But then we said, ‘Wait a minute,’” he recalls. “What are we going to do with all of these flowers? How are we going to arrange them? What type of flower should we use?’” Overwhelmed by the process, Lim turned down the offer, instead hiring a florist for $2,500 to create all of the centerpieces and bouquets for him.

Costs aside, that decision served Lim well: It inspired him to co-found a company that supplies the tools and materials to create do-it-yourself floral arrangements for weddings or other events.

A BLOOMING BUSINESS 

Earlier this year, Lim partnered up with Dallas-based entrepreneur Songhua Hu ’10 to launch Bloominous in Lim’s hometown of Los Angeles.

The company aims to capitalize on the “DIY” trend while loosely emulating the IKEA business model. Brides and grooms visit the Bloominous website to choose from an assortment of design collections (with varying themes such as Vintage Cottage, Bohemian Desert and Country Charm) and indicate the number of centerpieces, bouquets, boutonnèires and corsages they need for the big day. A few days before the wedding, Bloominous preps, packages and airmails the flowers direct to the customer, along with step-by-step instructions, pins, ribbons, vases and other supplies to assemble each piece in 15 minutes or less.

The entire order costs about half of what a floral shop might charge.

Backed by angel investors, Bloominous is now regularly securing orders in the $500 to $800 range and posting “double-digit growth,” says Lim, though he doesn’t disclose actual figures. Since early July, the company has appeared in more than 150 blogs and the number of unique visitors to the website tripled between June and July.

“Every indication is telling us that we are on the right track,” he says. “Our customers have emailed us to say, ‘This is such a great concept. I was looking for something like this and I found you guys’ or ‘Where was this when I was getting married – At least I get to use you for my baby shower’. It’s very encouraging to see our customers be our biggest advocate.”

PARTNERS IN TIME

A key factor behind Bloominous’ success is the complementary strengths of its founders. Lim used his industry knowledge and relationships with distributors in California and South America to build and manage Bloominous’ operations. Hu, a self-described “scrappy entrepreneur,” used his problem-solving skills and experience working at Google and McKinsey to address Bloominous’ technology and marketing needs.

“From an execution standpoint, there are certain things that I can do and certain things that Songhua can do,” says Lim, who added that the pair works together remotely because Hu is based in Dallas. “We divide up the roles so that we’re responsible for each part of the business.”

“Every indication is telling us that we are on the right track.”- Richard Lim ’10

Lim and Hu met while they were still students at Kellogg, where they developed “a sense of wanting to be an entrepreneur,” says Hu. After graduation, both took full-time jobs but met several times a week to brainstorm ideas for startups. Over time, their list of ideas grew to 50.

To pinpoint a winning idea, Lim remembered some advice he received from a Kellogg alumnus. “He said that you need two of three things to be successful in an entrepreneurial endeavor: You need passion. You need insider knowledge of an industry. And you need the right timing.”

Bloominous hit all three points.

VENTURING FURTHER

But another idea showed promise, one inspired by an ‘aha’ moment that Hu experienced while trying to find renters for his Chicago condo in 2012.

Hu realized that most landlords use credit reports to screen prospective tenants. But his work as a senior associate for Enova Financial taught him better. “A credit report tells you about someone’s past, but it doesn’t say anything about that person’s ability to pay a loan,” Hu explains. “You have to screen for employment and income.”

So in January 2013, Hu and Lim co-founded Tenantify, a website that verifies prospective renters’ employment and income on behalf of landlords. Hu took the lead on this project, teaching himself coding and using his knowledge of income-screening practices to build the online platform.

While Hu cautions that the company is still “ramen noodle profitable” — just making enough to cover costs, living expenses and cheap noodles — its revenue has increased by 75 percent between June and July. Currently, Tenantify relies on word-of-mouth and SEO marketing to recruit new customers, but Lim is exploring partnerships with management companies and larger groups to scale the business.

Slow and steady growth is part of Hu’s vision for Tenantify, which is also why he and Lim bootstrapped the business themselves. “I’m leaning toward not funding at all and growing organically so we can reap the benefit in the end,” Hu explains.

BALANCING ACT

Like Bloominous, Tenantify leverages its founders’ industry knowledge to solve the right problem at the right time, a solid formula for entrepreneurial success. And both startups partner two leaders with disparate, but equally strong, skillsets.

“Songhua and I come from different philosophies in terms of how to approach certain problems — but that’s what’s needed,” Lim says. “I can’t imagine doing this without him.”

Read the original story on the Kellogg website.

Learn more about Bloominous.

Filed under: Academics, Career Tagged: Alumni Spotlight, entrepreneurship Image
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

This post has been originally posted on the Admissions Blog and re-posted here for convenience.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Nonprofit, Technology
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2014, 10:38
I had my interview over a week ago (got my invite 10/3). It was very conversational, since both of us were interested in social enterprise and had a lot in common. My interviewer also explained that she had buckets of information she needed to fill. She had a notebook, but she printed out the interviewer form as well, which looked a lot like an electronic LOR form. Same kinds of questions and form fields. That might help why some people's interviewers used laptops.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2014, 10:47
Thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences so far. Nice to know I'm not alone playing this waiting game.

...When I'm sick I just stop being sick...and be Awesome instead...True Story...

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.25
WE: General Management (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2014, 11:31
Will our information automatically upload into the groups stats if our profile is correct? Not sure how to do this. Just joined, first time posting!
Manager
Manager
Decision making and the devil’s advocate  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2014, 14:00
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: Decision making and the devil’s advocate

First-year student Rohan Rajiv is blogging once a week about important lessons he is learning at Kellogg. Read more of his posts here.

In our pre-term class on Leadership in Organizations, we spent a few hours on personal and organizational decision making. A recommended tactic was to assign a team member to play “devil’s advocate” on all important decisions. This move is designed to eliminate confirmation bias and “yes-and-yes” decisions.

So, what are “yes-and-yes” decisions?

An analysis of teenager decision making, as published in Decisive by Chip and Dan Heath, showed:

• 30% of teenager decisions were just statements or “yes-and-yes” decisions. E.g. “I am going to go to that party,” or “I am not going to smoke.”
  • Another 35% were “whether-or-not” decisions. E.g. “Should I go to that party or not?”
In other words, teens are very binary. They don’t consider multiple options. Instead, they spend a lot of time mulling over one option.

In an analysis of 168 decisions made by companies across industries, researcher Paul Nutt found that only 29% of the decisions made by companies had options, meaning companies were worse than teenagers in making decisions.

In fact, large acquisition decisions can often be a result of a “yes and yes” decision. The CEO decided a company was worth acquiring and everyone else worked hard to prove him right. A famous example is Quaker’s failed acquisition of Snapple for $1.7 Billion. Ex-Quaker CEO William Smithburg later admitted that the acquisition had no one within the company challenging it. Think about that – the largest acquisition in the company’s history had no one challenging it.

So, if you have team members and friends who frequently play devil’s advocate, encourage them. And, I hope you will consider assigning a person or group of people to play devil’s advocate on all important decisions.

Rohan Rajiv is a first-year student in Kellogg’s Full-Time Two-Year Program. Prior to Kellogg he worked at a-connect serving clients on consulting projects across 14 countries in Europe, Asia, Australia and South America. He blogs a learning every day, including his MBA Learnings series, on www.ALearningaDay.com.

You can also find more infographics like the one in this post on Learnographics, where Rajiv and a colleague use visual graphics to teach lessons and spread ideas.

Filed under: Academics, Student Life Tagged: 2Y, infographic, MBA Learnings, Two-Year Image

GMAT Club Bot
Decision making and the devil’s advocate &nbs [#permalink] 23 Oct 2014, 14:00

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  17   18   19   20   21  ...  105    Next  [ 2093 posts ] 

Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 !

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: Gnpth, DigitsnLetters, hanamana

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap