It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 10:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all NYU Stern Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
WE: Business Development (Investment Banking)
Re: Calling all NYU Stern Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2016, 13:44
BearMBA2018 wrote:
I’d like to make one additional point.

Everyone that applies to business school wants to be judged based on who they are as a person, and what they have accomplished. Nobody wants to be viewed as just a number or collection of GPA and GMAT stats. That being said, is it really fair for us to view Stern as a number (ie. US News Ranking) rather than a holistic experience? This is especially true for roughly half of the accepted students in each class who have GPA’s and GMAT scores below Stern’s average. Wouldn’t it be hypocritical to criticize Stern for being ranked #20 if your measurable statistics may in fact be bringing down the data that is used to calculate Sterns ranking?

Unfortunately it’s difficult for US News to measure the intangibles students bring to each business school, but in my opinion this is where Stern shines. From what I can tell, the emphasis placed on EQ by Sterns admissions staff creates a much more well rounded class, a generally friendlier, more collaborative, and overall more productive environment. The reality of the situation is that if you were accepted at Stern with lower than average statistics, they’ve taken a risk on you based on their evaluation of your total package. Let’s take a step back and evaluate Stern the way they evaluated each of us that applied. The ranking is frustrating, but Stern is much more than just a questionable US News ranking.

well said!! Completely agree that rankings do not mean everything, and it's the total package of the school and program that should help you make your decision on where to matriculate.

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 7

Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.2

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2016, 09:16
lookitsdanman wrote:
BearMBA2018 wrote:
I’d like to make one additional point.

Everyone that applies to business school wants to be judged based on who they are as a person, and what they have accomplished. Nobody wants to be viewed as just a number or collection of GPA and GMAT stats. That being said, is it really fair for us to view Stern as a number (ie. US News Ranking) rather than a holistic experience? This is especially true for roughly half of the accepted students in each class who have GPA’s and GMAT scores below Stern’s average. Wouldn’t it be hypocritical to criticize Stern for being ranked #20 if your measurable statistics may in fact be bringing down the data that is used to calculate Sterns ranking?

Unfortunately it’s difficult for US News to measure the intangibles students bring to each business school, but in my opinion this is where Stern shines. From what I can tell, the emphasis placed on EQ by Sterns admissions staff creates a much more well rounded class, a generally friendlier, more collaborative, and overall more productive environment. The reality of the situation is that if you were accepted at Stern with lower than average statistics, they’ve taken a risk on you based on their evaluation of your total package. Let’s take a step back and evaluate Stern the way they evaluated each of us that applied. The ranking is frustrating, but Stern is much more than just a questionable US News ranking.

well said!! Completely agree that rankings do not mean everything, and it's the total package of the school and program that should help you make your decision on where to matriculate.

While I generally agree that this new ranking should not be the determining factor when deciding which program to attend for reasons people have mentioned (particularly because the ranking is not reflective of the actual quality of the program), I think that it does highlight a lack of improvement on the part of the school. I believe that Stern would have dropped in rankings to a 12-14 position, and while this wouldn't make me not attend Stern, it is disconcerting that Stern has not made significant improvements and is actually seeming to be backtracking. I also think that this #20 ranking will be tough to overcome over the next few years. Whether we think it is valid or not, these rankings are a huge contributor and guide for people applying to MBA programs. This will surely affect next year's applicant pool and to a lesser extent this year's yield, which will in turn have a negative impact on future rankings.

Also, not sure what DoorDelano was specifically referring to, but there have been rumors of dysfunction among the administration at Stern, so I think some people are taking this rankings blunder as a sign of that. I spend a lot of time with Sternies and know students who work in admissions and they have commented on this to me, so I don't think that these rumors are unfounded (although some may be exaggerations). That being said, this seems like it is a huge wake up call for the Stern administration and that they are jumping into action to try and fix things. I think that this mistake will likely end up actually leading to improvements by the school's administration. Although, it will be interesting to see if these improvements mitigate the negative impact that the rankings blunder will have over the next few years..

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 7

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Who Run the Stern? (Girls) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2016, 13:00
FROM NYU Stern Admissions Blog: Who Run the Stern? (Girls)
It was a Thursday evening a few weeks ago when I was standing at Stern’s weekly Beer Blast with a few of my female blockmates, sipping a nice lager and Read More
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

This post has been originally posted on the Admissions Blog and re-posted here for convenience

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2016, 21:10
Well I just got my interview invitation as R3... Am I a little late?

Manager
Manager

Why I Chose Stern [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2016, 13:00
FROM NYU Stern Admissions Blog: Why I Chose Stern
The timing of this post is not a coincidence.  There is plenty of discussion happening in school regarding the U.S. News & World Report rankings—what happened; why it happened; what Read More
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

This post has been originally posted on the Admissions Blog and re-posted here for convenience

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 7 [1], given: 0

Concentration: Nonprofit, Social Entrepreneurship
GRE 1: 332 Q162 V170
GPA: 3.32
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2016, 16:58
This post received
KUDOS
Admitted today with merit scholarship covering full tuition/fees for the first year. Interviewed on 3/9. Received an email that my status had been updated.

Kudos [?]: 7 [1], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2016, 02:41
plasmabeam wrote:

Congrats! Did you apply on deadline day or much before?

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2016, 09:03
Rogerwaters wrote:
plasmabeam wrote:

Congrats! Did you apply on deadline day or much before?

Deadline day.

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2016, 12:30
Admitted today with no merit scholarship. Interviewed exactly a week ago (3/21). Good luck everyone!

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2016, 19:23
jb103l wrote:
Admitted today with merit scholarship covering full tuition/fees for the first year. Interviewed on 3/9. Received an email that my status had been updated.

Congrats! Was the info that you received regarding the merit scholarship in writing (i.e. as part of the status update)? If not how were you informed?

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 1

Current Student
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Stern '18 (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2016, 21:49
In! Interviewed on 15th March in India. Got the admit exactly 2 weeks later. W/o scholarship though.

Is there an admitted students thread here? I'm not able to find any.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2016, 22:16
mayank117 wrote:
In! Interviewed on 15th March in India. Got the admit exactly 2 weeks later. W/o scholarship though.

Got in from India too.. PM if you want to connect.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 19

Schools: Stern '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2016, 07:24
mayank117 wrote:

calling-all-admitted-nyu-stern-folks-class-of-209586.html

Congrats!

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 19

Current Student
B

Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Stern '18 (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2016, 09:38
mrm37612 wrote:
mayank117 wrote:

Congrats!

Thanks!
Looks like you got in too. Congrats!

Current Student

Calling all NYU Stern Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2016, 14:33
Admitted to Stern w/o scholarship.
Happened to check the portal and was surprised to see "Interview Complete" update gone and there being no new status so I understood, the status is in the process of being changed. Checked again in 5 mins, and there it was!
Applied: 16/01. Interview Invitation: 18/02 Interviewed on campus on 17/03.

Best of luck to everyone!

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 24

GMAT ToolKit User
Calling all NYU Stern Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2016, 19:38

Last edited by someone167 on 13 May 2016, 22:10, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 24

Manager
Manager

Facing My Fear of Finance [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2016, 13:00
FROM NYU Stern Admissions Blog: Facing My Fear of Finance
Hey everyone, There are a number of MBA students across the country who feel uncomfortable or apprehensive about registering for certain academic subjects; typically, financial courses top that list. Needless Read More

Current Student

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2016, 13:52
Has anyone who interviewed on 21/22/23 march heard back from Stern?

I interviewed on 22nd on campus. No news yet. :-/

Manager
Manager

Ally Week [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2016, 14:00
FROM NYU Stern Admissions Blog: Ally Week
Diversity is a difficult topic, whether it’s a matter of race, gender, or sexual preference.  Though organizations like Friendfactor have ranked Stern first in LGBTQ support out of all MBA Read More

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 8

Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.48
WE: Public Relations (Other)

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2016, 09:42
Just received an email that I have been admitted off the round 1 waitlist, after interview. Though, don't think I will be attending given that my experience with Stern from interview until now has really turned me off to the school. Not to mention, got a fellowship from my other school so that is playing a big factor.

However, most of the students I've met at Stern and those who will be attending have been great, so I'm sure you guys will be in good company! I really do hope the upper management and admissions team get their act together though.

Good luck to all!

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 8

Re: Calling all NYU Stern Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!   [#permalink] 22 Apr 2016, 09:42

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33    Next  [ 648 posts ] 

Calling all NYU Stern Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: OasisGC, aerien, BrushMyQuant

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap