GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Aug 2018, 08:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Calling all Rotman (Toronto) MBA Applicants:(2018 Intake)Class of 2020

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Re: Calling all Rotman (Toronto) MBA Applicants:(2018 Intake)Class of 2020  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2017, 05:26
Hi guys,
Thanks for this very good discussion, I have a small question for you : I'm planing to apply for Rotman in round-1, and because GMAT is not offered in my country (Algeria) I took the GRE instead, my scores are Q163 V153 but I dont know what is the standard for Rotman, my question is : what is Rotman's approach for applicants with only GRE , am I limiting my chances of getting in because of this ? any applicants with GRE scores only ?
Intern
Intern
Re: Calling all Rotman (Toronto) MBA Applicants:(2018 Intake)Class of 2020  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2017, 18:49
BHD.MOURAD wrote:
Hi guys,
Thanks for this very good discussion, I have a small question for you : I'm planing to apply for Rotman in round-1, and because GMAT is not offered in my country (Algeria) I took the GRE instead, my scores are Q163 V153 but I dont know what is the standard for Rotman, my question is : what is Rotman's approach for applicants with only GRE , am I limiting my chances of getting in because of this ? any applicants with GRE scores only ?

https://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/gre-to-gm ... onversion/

That translates to roughly about a 610-620 on the GMAT. You might have to bump up your verbal score to be competitive.
Current Student
B
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
WE: Securities Sales and Trading (Investment Banking)

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2017, 00:36
For those who are reading on Rotman MBA, I do recommend clearadmit website

https://www.clearadmit.com/school/rotman/

They offer quite comprehensive information not only for Rotman but for other schools as well. Deadline is 2 months from now for round 1 so you still have plenty of time for writing essays, getting recommendations and bump up your GMAT. The essay for this year is fairly generic so it should alleviate a lot of stress.

Regarding recommendations, I strongly suggest you sit down with your recommenders, walk them through the reason why you want to do MBA now, why you want to go to ABC (e.g Rotman), what are the key things you hope them emphasize in your recommendation letters. Doing this helps you 1. to mentally prepare to write your essay, and your interview with adcom subsequently, 2. to save your recommenders time.... You can refer to your performance review document for clues and guidance. Your recommenders can be your boss, colleagues (yes I ask my colleague), mentor, somebody you work for your ECA, as long as they can clearly articulate why you are a strong candidate for MBA.

My 2 cents :)
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2017, 03:39
Hi all,
I have some doubts regarding the transcripts.

1) When do we have to provide them with the official transcripts? Before application submission, with application or when we receive an invite?

2) Also, is it possible for us to mail the received transcripts from our universities? Or is it mandatory for the transcripts to be sent by our universities themselves?

Also, I'll be asking my university for the transcripts in one or two days as they can take a month to finish the entire process. So any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Never give up!

Current Student
B
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
WE: Securities Sales and Trading (Investment Banking)

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2017, 04:14
Please see Rotman requirements in the link below

http://www.rotman.utoronto.ca/Degrees/M ... ranscripts

Basically you can do it yourself but make sure that it is signed and sealed. Based on my last year experience, you do not need to send the official transcript until you are admitted. When you do your application, you only need to scan your transcript and upload to the portal. However, if you want to be extra sure, you can check with the adcom.

Posted from my mobile device
Current Student
B
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 670 Q43 V39
GPA: 3.7

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2017, 13:49
leminh89 wrote:
Please see Rotman requirements in the link below

http://www.rotman.utoronto.ca/Degrees/M ... ranscripts

Basically you can do it yourself but make sure that it is signed and sealed. Based on my last year experience, you do not need to send the official transcript until you are admitted. When you do your application, you only need to scan your transcript and upload to the portal. However, if you want to be extra sure, you can check with the adcom.

Posted from my mobile device

leminh89 is right.
You can send the official transcripts later.
I did the opposite: I sent them in the middle of my process and everything gone ok also.
So you can do both: or send during the process ou after it. Don't sweat about it!

Think more about your essays and the resumé (and, of course, about GMAT and TOEFL - if is your case).
Current Student
B
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GPA: 3.46

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2017, 21:34
Just uploaded our experience with our first day at Rotman! https://wondersuite.blogspot.ca
BSchool Forum Moderator
V
GPA: 3.12
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2017, 21:44
sheiquiroga wrote:
Just uploaded our experience with our first day at Rotman! https://wondersuite.blogspot.ca

Wow, thanks for that. You really have a knack for writing!
The post was so detailed(with pictures) that it felt as if I was part of the incoming class :)

You've got what it takes, but it will take everything you've got

BSchool Forum Moderator
V
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2017, 23:02
I'm pleased to inform that we will be conducting a chat with the Rotman Admits(Class of 2019) on Sunday(August 20th 2017)

Sunday,August 20: Live Q&A with Rotman Admits Class of 2019

CHAT ROOM 2: https://gmatclub.com/forum/mchat2.php?fl=menu

Dear Applicants, We will conduct a live chat with Class of 2019 new admits to Rotman, at 9:30 PM IST (4:00 PM GMT) on Sunday, August 20th 2017. We hope all of you will attend this chat. I hope you utilize this opportunity to ask your questions about the school, application process and anything else that will help you make a strong case for admission this year.

Date and Time:

August 20, 2017 | Sunday | 9:30 PM IST (4:00 PM GMT) to 10:30 PM IST (5:00 PM GMT)

Place:

Chat Room2

Add this event to your Google calendar.

BSchool Forum Moderator
V
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2017, 22:02
Hi guys,
Starting from today, I will be introducing one of the admits, who will be joining us for the chat(scheduled on 20th August)

So, here goes to that one person who made this possible
Sheila Quiroga
Published a blog at https://wondersuite.blogspot.ca that mainly focuses on helping international students with MBA.
She first worked at a Thai construction company but eventually moved to a publishing company as a Marketing Manager.
Sheila established her own start-up company in the Philippines that offers office supplies she designed herself.
She likes designing paraphernalia with Adobe softwares, which is one of the reasons that attracted her to Rotman,
given that this school values creativity and business design. She will be pursuing Technology Consulting and eventually
establish another company in the future. Sheila likes helping not only humans, but also animals in need. That’s why she
volunteered in an animal welfare group that specifically rehabilitates pit bulls rescued from an international online dog
fighting. For her leisure time, she loves doing Chinese martial arts and swimming.

Stay tuned for more.....

Current Student
B
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GPA: 3.46

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2017, 22:27
Thank you. I really appreciate that! Honestly, I'm not into writing ever since I was in secondary school. (Not sure why I continued blogging. lol) Maybe I just really can sympathize with the hardship of an international student, who are totally clueless about what he/she might be facing.

Hoping I could still contribute in our upcoming chat. "See" you!

pushpitkc wrote:
sheiquiroga wrote:

Wow, thanks for that. You really have a knack for writing!
The post was so detailed(with pictures) that it felt as if I was part of the incoming class :)
BSchool Forum Moderator
V
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2017, 22:32
The second admit who will be joining us in the chat is

Mert Yucesoy
I started my career as a strategy consultant in boutique consulting firms and afterwards joined
Accenture to focus on execution and new technologies. I built expertise in telecommunications,
media and banking industries. The projects I took part in included market entry/growth,
customer experience design & implementation, new service development etc.

Afterwards I moved to a tech start-up called Alterna Team with a main focus of designing
and managing customer experience. I worked there carrying out various roles, including
engagement manager, product manager and project manager. Additionally, I provided consulting
services for issues such as customer experience strategy design, CEM capability assessment and
new experience design.

After Rotman MBA I intend to pursue a career in Venture Capital, taking advantage of my
business skills and experience in start-ups.

Stay tuned for more.....

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2017, 12:07
hey guys

need some advice, gave my GMAT a week back got 670 , work experience of 12 months. should i apply before R1 deadlines or give another attempt at GMAT and apply for R2 deadlines ? Any preference or difference between R1 and R2 deadline?
BSchool Forum Moderator
V
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2017, 18:49
CR1994 wrote:
hey guys

need some advice, gave my GMAT a week back got 670 , work experience of 12 months. should i apply before R1 deadlines or give another attempt at GMAT and apply for R2 deadlines ? Any preference or difference between R1 and R2 deadline?

CR1994,
Please find below the "Application Requirements" from the Rotman Website :
3. Work Experience
We recommend candidates have at least two years of full-time work experience but there is no minimum requirement.
For average work experience, please see our class profile.

Though Rotman does not have a minimum work experience, they recommend having 2 years of work experience.
IMO with a 670, which is around the average GMAT score of the school(for the incoming class of 2019), it may be difficult,
but it is not impossible. I say this because from what I hear the GMAT scores are on the higher end for Indian
Candidates(in almost all the global B Schools). That being said the application is not only about the GMAT,
but the overall profile, so if you feel the score is good enough for your profile, you could apply!

Nevertheless, you could get your profile evaluated by experts at your forum in the link below:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/rotman-class ... 43259.html

As for the difference in R1 and R2, it makes sense to apply by the R1 deadline as fewer seats are taken
(so chances of making it are higher).

If I were you, I would re-take GMAT and apply with a better score to offset the lack in experience,
which I may add, is on the lower end. You could maybe, work on the application side by side and
try to apply by the R1 deadline(October 16th)

Hope that helps you!

BSchool Forum Moderator
V
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2017, 22:36
Hi guys,

The third admit who will be joining us in the chat is

René Chen
René is a student in Class 2019 of full-time MBA program in Rotman.
Before MBA, he spent most of his time working as a learning professional for Apple in Beijing, Shanghai,
and Cupertino for seven years. During the MBA application, he got clear about his goal and decided to
get out of his comfort zone to set up his EdTech company in Shanghai with his business partner.

With a bachelor of education and a career in learning and development, René loves researching on
learning and studying new fields. Recently, despite his interest in painting for a long time, he discovered
that he is also a nerd who enjoys computer programming very much

NOTE: The primary reason I am introducing the admits beforehand, is so that you can work on
specific questions(for them) We should all look to make maximum use of this this chat.

Looking forward to your active participation. Stay tuned for more.....

BSchool Forum Moderator
V
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2017, 23:20
The fourth admit who will be joining us in the chat is

Sergio Montalvan
Rotman School of Management, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
M.B.A. Candidate, 2019
· $25 000 Entrance Scholarship, 2017
· 3.9 GPA, 710 GMAT

Brief of work exprience : Bachelor in Business Administration
6+ years of experience in sales in the telecommunications industry (Territory Manager - Key Account Manager)

Stay tuned for more.....

BSchool Forum Moderator
V
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2017, 23:48
Last but not the least, the fifth admit of our chat will be :

Michael Nguyen
I am a Vietnamese, have been living in Singapore for the past 10 years in which 4 years with
National University of Singapore and 6 years with Credit Suisse AG as APAC head for
customized client reporting for its Private Banking arm.

My career goal post MBA is to join a Asset Management firm.

Hope this will be very beneficial for all of you.
Looking forward to seeing a lot of you on the 20th of August(9:30 PM IST - 10:30 PM IST)

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 620 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 670 Q50 V31
GPA: 4
WE: Business Development (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2017, 22:43
Have anyone tried the video essay yet ?

Can any admits (@sheiquiroga) give an idea as what to expect. Example : What questions they faced and what were they asked to write ?

Help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
BSchool Forum Moderator
V
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2017, 23:39
sheiquiroga wrote:
Hi. The video essays were timed. I forgot the length of time, but it's pretty quick!! You'll have a time for preparation, but train yourself to think very fast.

For the written part, it's mostly testing your writing ability to create a formal email.

For the speaking part, one is a very, very creative question, such as: if you were a superhero, what would be your superpowers, if you were stuck in an island, what would you bring with you.
The other one is mostly about your MBA, such as: why do you want an MBA

This video essays have already been addressed here. If I am not wrong, the speaking part refers to the video component.

Hope that helps you

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 620 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 670 Q50 V31
GPA: 4
WE: Business Development (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2017, 00:12
pushpitkc

Sorry I didn't see that. Thanks a lot.
Re: Calling all Rotman (Toronto) MBA Applicants:(2018 Intake)Class of 2020 &nbs [#permalink] 18 Aug 2017, 00:12

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  50    Next  [ 986 posts ] 

Calling all Rotman (Toronto) MBA Applicants:(2018 Intake)Class of 2020

new topic post reply Update application status  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap